Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Had an american guest and his fafmily where I work and I was serving last week and when he paid for this families meal he gave me a titanium Amercian Express Centurian Credit Card... Look it up... He was loaded... And he didn't leave any tip at all...

I HATE the idea of "ooooh, I work in a restuarant, you have to leave me a tip......." THATS stinginess. I'll leave you a tip if you're waiting service was exceptional, wiping bums etc. Other than that, feck off~!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

I HATE the idea of "ooooh, I work in a restuarant, you have to leave me a tip......." THATS stinginess. I'll leave you a tip if you're waiting service was exceptional, wiping bums etc. Other than that, feck off~!

Normally I don't expect tips but when a guest sends me into the kitchen close to 10 times to ask questions about the food...then i expect something extra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Normally I don't expect tips but when a guest sends me into the kitchen close to 10 times to ask questions about the food...then i expect something extra

Did you wipe his bum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Having a bit of knowledge about the food you serve is expected from waiting staff tbh. If you needed to go to the kitchen over every question I wouldn't have left you a tip either. This may not be your fault. The chef should be making sure all waiting staff can answer the vast majority of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

prinz wrote: »
    Having a bit of knowledge about the food you serve is expected from waiting staff tbh. If you needed to go to the kitchen over every question I wouldn't have left you a tip either. This may not be your fault. The chef should be making sure all waiting staff can answer the vast majority of questions.

I know the menu pretty well but it is not my department. I work elsewhere in the establishment and was only in that area as they were understaffed. They just made me feel like it was my fault that the establishment didnt have low-fat milk on that day, and that it was my fault the establishment wouldn't provide food to-go for their nanny. Anyway off topic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I never tip anyone, and why should I? Nurses and librarians don't get tips, why should anyone else? I've already paid for the service. It reminds me of when I was in america, and had a terrible waitress. We didn't write anything in the tip box because she was so rude and useless. She took the slip away and when she realised we hadn't tipped her, she stormed back over and yelled, "You're supposed to put a tip in here!" (we were obviously foreign, as far as she knew, we may not have known you're meant to tip in the US, she should have explained it politely.) Anyway, we wrote $1 in the tip box, and she was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I never tip anyone, and why should I? Nurses and librarians don't get tips, why should anyone else? I've already paid for the service. It reminds me of when I was in america, and had a terrible waitress. We didn't write anything in the tip box because she was so rude and useless. She took the slip away and when she realised we hadn't tipped her, she stormed back over and yelled, "You're supposed to put a tip in here!" (we were obviously foreign, as far as she knew, we may not have known you're meant to tip in the US, she should have explained it politely.) Anyway, we wrote $1 in the tip box, and she was not impressed.

You tip because unlike nurses and librarians most waiting staff earn buttons and use tips to suppliment there wages.

I know of delivery drivers who earn peanuts per delivery but make all of there money from tips and thats not even a huge amount.

In essence you have paid for the meal and the owner is hoping you will pay yourself for the service, As he wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

You should have written $0 instead and told her why and really drive home the point that she was a crap waitress.
    Now she thinks you're just a stingy foreigner :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Many nurses/teachers etc also get a pittance for the job they do. Alot of waiters don't even try and earn a tip but just expect one for doing the absolute minimum the job requires. If they aren't being paid at least the minimum wage they should take it up with their employer/the authorities. Otherwise find a different job. Why would someone tip a waiter who had to go back and forth to the kitchen ten times because they couldn't answer any questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Many nurses/teachers etc also get a pittance for the job they do. Alot of waiters don't even try and earn a tip but just expect one for doing the absolute minimum the job requires. If they aren't being paid at least the minimum wage they should take it up with their employer/the authorities. Otherwise find a different job. Why would someone tip a waiter who had to go back and forth to the kitchen ten times because they couldn't answer any questions?

Nurses and Teachers may earn less then many but they certainly earn far more then a waiter and I never said that waiter should be tipped.

I simply implied if they do a good job I tip!

you said you wont tip because you have paid for it already when in most places they dont get the minimum wage and rely on tips to make ends meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Theta wrote: »
    Nurses and Teachers may earn less then many but they certainly earn far more then a waiter and I never said that waiter should be tipped.

you said you wont tip because you have paid for it already when in most places they dont get the minimum wage and rely on tips to make ends meet.

Far as i know in USA, they tax you based on your salary + 10% as they assume that you receive tips

So no wonder the grimace on Fabio the waiters face when you just pay the required amount

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Theta wrote: »

but as stormwarrior said, if they're not being paid minimum wages, they should take it up with the authaurities. i'll tip if the service was very good, but people shouldn't see it as an entitlement.
    besides, isn't a "service charge" being brought in in some places to offset this? i may be getting my wires crossed:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

The stingiest people I ever met were a family abroad who I worked as an au pair for. They were well off, the mother was a doctor and the father was an engineer.

I think I remember reading about this before, have you posted this before? If not someone worked for the same family as the story is the same. Did you leave the job in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I refuse to tip if a service charge or delivery charge is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bobbity

Years ago, on a Christmas staff do, it was a meal and bring your own wine. My ex-boss stood up after dessert, and put the cork back into half bottle red, collected a half bottle of white chilling and brought it home with him, we (the staff) were left sitting there high 'n' dry!
    Miserable old sod, and he is loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

It's great to see the revival of such a legendary thread.

I have a great-uncle who, when he was younger would never spend notes. My father tells me he would always go out for the night with a pocket full of change.

I have an uncle-in-law who would take out the light bulbs from the spare rooms, just in case someone switched them on and wasted the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Theta wrote:
    Nurses and Teachers may earn less then many but they certainly earn far more then a waiter

Of course they earn less than nurses and teachers. Do you know how much it costs for nurses and teachers to go to university in the U.S?? They deserve less than them too, not only for the outlay a qualified Nurse or Teacher has made but because bringing food to a table is hardly the same type of job as the others!!
    I hate the idea of "ooooh, I work in a restuarant, you have to leave me a tip......." THATS stinginess. I'll leave you a tip if you're waiting service was exceptional, wiping bums etc. Other than that, feck off~!

Oh and nurses do that too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

titanium Amercian Express Centurian Credit Card... Look it up... He was loaded... And he didn't leave any tip at all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card
    "Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich purchased his jet for $45 million by using his Black Card.":eek:

cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

questioner wrote: »
    "Roman Arkadyevich Abramovich purchased his jet for $45 million by using his Black Card.":eek:

cool..

My (soon to be defunct) Halifax Visa happens to be black. I used it a lot in the States in '08 in Vegas, LA, San Francisco etc. and had great fun with it because it got noticed everywhere we went. One guy in a shop even asked me, in hushed tones, "is that a real black Visa?!". Told him truthfully that it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nike319

questioner wrote: »

cool..

Quality... Living the dream...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

An ex work colleague walking 5 minutes to a shop for a can of Coke because it was 5p cheaper than the Hospital we were working in at the time...YES 5p it was before the euro !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

A Friend of mine lives a two minute walk from the Hilton Hotel on the Malahide road

Whenever he goes on holidays with his family he brings them all into the hotel bar for five minutes then out the other door through reception and uses the courtesy bus to the airport .......and when he comes home he does the same from the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

pebbles21 wrote: »
    A Friend of mine lives a two minute walk from the Hilton Hotel on the Malahide road

Whenever he goes on holidays with his family he brings them all into the hotel bar for five minutes then out the other door through reception and uses the courtesy bus to the airport .......and when he comes home he does the same from the airport
    Really nice bar there actually, stayed there last year

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

You may not be aware but in the US the minimum wage for a job that is expected to receive tips is below the minimum wage for a job that does not receive tips. By all means do not tip above average for bad service but it is ignorant not to tip a waiter because they can't answer questions.

If you don't like it maybe you could go to a different restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

pebbles21 wrote: »

genius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

my godfather refuses to be around me in the month of may so he doesnt have to acknowledge its my birthday or give me a birthday present. this has been going on for 19 years, i am 19.
    it wouldnt be so bad if he wasnt the richest person in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

00112984 wrote: »
    A (very close) family member was going to give me a present for Christmas but she "lost" it so gave me the receipt instead.

outstanding....................best one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    my godfather refuses to be around me in the month of may so he doesnt have to acknowledge its my birthday or give me a birthday present. this has been going on for 19 years, i am 19.
    it wouldnt be so bad if he wasnt the richest person in the family.

same as myself, rich godfather hasnt once bought me a present, my birthday is two days before his!! 21years later im still waiting. what a cnunt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

brummytom wrote: »
    Really nice bar there actually, stayed there last year

A fortnight in a bar-that's my kinda holiday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement