Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

How is Energie Ballsbridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Saipanne wrote: »

Loads of treadmills.

Loads of treadmills.

Good, that suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

HI there

is anyone here in the Crunch Aston Quay gym? I like the dancey classes they have on their timetable, but I wonder do people queue to do the classes? I heard from a friend who's in a Ben Dunne gym that the queues are horrendous.
    Are the shower rooms good? Do the fitlinxx machines work? What's the atmosphere in there? I've read some mixed reviews online and I'm looking for someone who's actually a member and also doing their classes.

What are other options in Dublin for a gym with a pool and at the very least some zumba classes?
    I used to go to Westwood Clontarf and I'm not a massive fan (and their pool is closed now for repairs anyway).

I joined. Good gym, lots of equipment, helpful staff, not too crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

HI there

is anyone here in the Crunch Aston Quay gym? I like the dancey classes they have on their timetable, but I wonder do people queue to do the classes? I heard from a friend who's in a Ben Dunne gym that the queues are horrendous.
    Are the shower rooms good? Do the fitlinxx machines work? What's the atmosphere in there? I've read some mixed reviews online and I'm looking for someone who's actually a member and also doing their classes.

I'm a member, have tried to answer your questions.
    The shower rooms are lovely, good hairdryer but it's very dark so can be hard for putting on make up etc. The place is super clean.
    You sign in for the classes at reception and are given a token, only people with the tokens can do the classes. I'm not sure if this applies to all classes or just the ones with equipment e.g. spin and TRX. I haven't done any classes in ages but the abs class used to be way too packed and would really benefited from this system, hope they have implemented it.

The fitlixx machine works.

The atmosphere is grand. The decor is stupidly fancy and you do get some posers but generally I dont pay much attention to 'atmosphere' I just get on with my workout. I would say that the dance classes with Alex are excellent, not your usually 'step aerobics' style dance class. Actually all his classes are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

xalot wrote: »
    I'm a member, have tried to answer your questions.
    The shower rooms are lovely, good hairdryer but it's very dark so can be hard for putting on make up etc. The place is super clean.
    You sign in for the classes at reception and are given a token, only people with the tokens can do the classes. I'm not sure if this applies to all classes or just the ones with equipment e.g. spin and TRX. I haven't done any classes in ages but the abs class used to be way too packed and would really benefited from this system, hope they have implemented it.

The fitlixx machine works.

The atmosphere is grand. The decor is stupidly fancy and you do get some posers but generally I dont pay much attention to 'atmosphere' I just get on with my workout. I would say that the dance classes with Alex are excellent, not your usually 'step aerobics' style dance class. Actually all his classes are excellent
    Hi

thanks so much for replying to my question!
    Do you use the pool much and do you have to queue for machines in the evening?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

The pool is small enough but very clean and usually quiet. The pool in Westmanstown is fantastic - you can use all branches when you're a member of aston quay.

I've never had to queue for any of the cardio machines, you might have to wait for a particular weights machine if someone is on it but nothing crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Anyone ever heard or used these guys?
    http://www.isipersonaltraining.com/

They're extremely well regarded by those in the industry. Which is pretty big praise from an industry full of knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I joined. Good gym, lots of equipment, helpful staff, not too crowded.

How much was your membership as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Any recommendations for gyms in bray/shankill/sandyford area
    I'm going to avoid Ben dunnes as hard full of kids etc showing off
    I just mainly want to do classes
    What Westwood like how expensive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Westwood is about 2 to 3 times as expensive as Ben Dunne. However they have a pool, squash, tennis and all sorts of other facilities. If you are only interested in classes then it would be a waste of time, in my opinion.

Ben Dunne gyms don't allow members under 16. I have been a member of both Cherrywood and Sandyford and have never noticed any poseurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Talk about a sweeping generalisation! I'm a member of Ben Dunne Sandyford and I find its such a broad mix of ages. It's mainly young professionals from what I can see but no 'kids'. The classes are busy but top notch you're pushed to your limits. I hope your confidence increases to allow you to get down with the kids!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Any recommendation on a pay as you go /monthly membership in the city centre or Phibsoboro area? I'd ideally like some classes and maybe even a pool. I looked at Ben Dunne in Jervis but the classes are mostly spin and I would prefer some abs and resistance based ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Daisies wrote: »
    Any recommendation on a pay as you go /monthly membership in the city centre or Phibsoboro area? I'd ideally like some classes and maybe even a pool. I looked at Ben Dunne in Jervis but the classes are mostly spin and I would prefer some abs and resistance based ones.

There's 1escape at Smithfield square, and it's around €70 per month. Classes are good from what I hear.

If it's not too far out for you, there's also the Herberton gym just the stop after St. James on the red line, it's €75 for the first 3 months. The classes there are quite good, have a bit of everything, spin, Kettlebells TRX, pump etc, and seem to renew the 3 months for €75, quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A good gym in Cork City centre anyone?

dont seem to be much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A good gym in Cork City centre anyone?

dont seem to be much choice.

Thread specifically on Cork gyms here.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

Hey guys anyone got any idea if Herberton Leisure is worth joining up in Rialto? It's either that, energie parkwest or Liffey Valley fitness.I used to be in Ben Dunne Lucan for several years but place is just too packed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anyone know about 1escape in Smithfield? It's 5 minutes from me so considering it but I've come across lots of references to it being expensive online. Anyone know how expensive, or if there happens to be a student rate?

I'm not sure but I think it could be in excess of €50/monthy for a student. Probably best just to contact them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It's a bit more health club rather than gym, They also have pool hence why it is more expensive, If you're looking for a gym I'd go elsewhere.

I'm not sure but I think it could be in excess of €50/monthy for a student. Probably best just to contact them directly.

Filled out their contact form last week but no reply yet. Thanks!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Filled out their contact form last week but no reply yet. Thanks!

Ring 'em.

01-4850700

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good reasonably priced gym in Blanchardstown? Is the Ben Dunne gym good?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good reasonably priced gym in Blanchardstown? Is the Ben Dunne gym good?

What do you want? Pool / weights / cardio / something else / all of the above?

Lots of gyms in Blanch serving various markets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

In TNT Blackrock right now. Was in RAW before. Both great gyms for putting on size and not getting distracted by saunas and swimming pools. Next gym I'm trying out will be Southside Strength and Fitness

Zombienosh wrote: »
    It's a bit more health club rather than gym, They also have pool hence why it is more expensive, If you're looking for a gym I'd go elsewhere.

What's the distinction exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Hanley wrote: »
    What do you want? Pool / weights / cardio / something else / all of the above?

Lots of gyms in Blanch serving various markets :)

All of the above but I'm not too pushed about a fancy weights area or anything, just want somewhere with good cardio machines, nice environment and nice changing rooms :)
    Anyone got any comments on the Ben Dunne gym in Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

RomanGod wrote: »
    In TNT Blackrock right now. Was in RAW before. Both great gyms for putting on size and not getting distracted by saunas and swimming pools. Next gym I'm trying out will be Southside Strength and Fitness

Did that used to be called something else? Also, what's the situation with parking there? Is it all pay and display etc?

• Advertisement

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Did that used to be called something else? Also, what's the situation with parking there? Is it all pay and display etc?

Ironside.

And pretty sure it's free after 6/7.

Advertisement