Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Hi guys,
    Im considering joining the Livingwell gym attached to the Hilton hotel kilmainham on a 3 month membership. It costs e190 for the 3 months and includes towel per visit, all classes 9 to choose from, and 2 hrs free parking per visit. I know it's quite expensive but it's location may have decided this one for me and I'm also thinkin as it's not a mainstream gym it may not be as busy? Just wondering are any boardies members and what your opinions are of the place... times to avoid, lack of certain equipment or if classes are ever too full that they refuse people in.
    Thanks in advance for any replies guys

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Worked in the vicinity a couple of years ago and they did a special offer for all staff in the Eircom HQ, didn't hear any positive feedback about it, basically understand it to be a typical hotel gym, could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Just rejoined Herberton on a €75 for 3 month special, was meant to end 31st January but worth enquiring. They do a €50 per month if you want to try it out. I've been injured and not worked out for 4 months but the place had changed management and looks to have improved considerably over the past few months.

I assume you read the post on previous page regarding classes being cancelled in Hilton...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Worked in the vicinity a couple of years ago and they did a special offer for all staff in the Eircom HQ, didn't hear any positive feedback about it, basically understand it to be a typical hotel gym, could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Just rejoined Herberton on a €75 for 3 month special, was meant to end 31st January but worth enquiring. They do a €50 per month if you want to try it out. I've been injured and not worked out for 4 months but the place had changed management and looks to have improved considerably over the past few months.

I assume you read the post on previous page regarding classes being cancelled in Hilton...

Just wondering if there are many classes in the Herberton, and what they are like? I'm considering joining it..

Yeah there seem to be plenty, I don't participate but I'm generally there first thing and there's a popular Spin or Strength & Conditioning going on every morning at 7 with about 20 taking part, a few during the day and between 4-6 classes every evening after 17:30 from Zumba, Spin, Trax, Kettleballs, Circuit, Pilates to Aqua fit..... Worth dropping in to see if it suits!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Yeah there seem to be plenty, I don't participate but I'm generally there first thing and there's a popular Spin or Strength & Conditioning going on every morning at 7 with about 20 taking part, a few during the day and between 4-6 classes every evening after 17:30 from Zumba, Spin, Trax, Kettleballs, Circuit, Pilates to Aqua fit..... Worth dropping in to see if it suits!

Called in, they are doing a deal for the moment, €75 for 3 months, classes included, bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

Hi guys just looking for some suggestions

I am living up in drumcondra dublin 9 near the regency hotel....looking for a good weights gym that allows you to pay per visit nearby...the regencys doesnt suit as they require membership plus i heard it aint great

any advice appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Morton Stadium up in Santry's probably your best bet aroun the area. a 16 bus ride away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ballymun Leisure Centre, used to be pretty good. It's been a long time since i've been but I always found it good. It's a council gym so should be somewhere about €6.60 a visit

thanks guys, il try both and see which i prefer...both are only round a 10 minute cycle away for me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

cman24687 wrote: »
    thanks guys, il try both and see which i prefer...both are only round a 10 minute cycle away for me anyway

Do you have an engine on that bike? If not you should enter this years Le Tour

• Advertisement

Do you have an engine on that bike? If not you should enter this years Le Tour
    if a ten minute cycle qualifies me for the tour then sign me up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

I've done a lot of searching and stuff and I've narrowed it down to 3 gyms based on the price mainly. It's Carlisle gym, Herberton or Sheldon park. I've looked up reviews of the Carlisle gym and they seem poor but it's from a few years ago, have they improved on hygene and other downfalls, is it only too busy at peak hours?
    Herberton seems good but the area seems dodgy according to reviews, anyone have trouble with their belongings there?
    I haven't found a lot of information about Sheldon Park, anyone there and like it?
    Which gym would people pick from those 3? Would anyone recommend any other gym in athe area I'm talking about? I'm not put off by having to drive 20-30 minutes.
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I've done a lot of searching and stuff and I've narrowed it down to 3 gyms based on the price mainly. It's Carlisle gym, Herberton or Sheldon park. I've looked up reviews of the Carlisle gym and they seem poor but it's from a few years ago, have they improved on hygene and other downfalls, is it only too busy at peak hours?
    Herberton seems good but the area seems dodgy according to reviews, anyone have trouble with their belongings there?
    I haven't found a lot of information about Sheldon Park, anyone there and like it?
    Which gym would people pick from those 3? Would anyone recommend any other gym in athe area I'm talking about? I'm not put off by having to drive 20-30 minutes.
    Thanks.

I've been to herberton and carlisle with friends and I wouldn't join either, never been to the other.

Carlisle is always packed out evertime I've been (even before the conversion), hygiene wasn't the best but not bad, a lot of 16 year olds tossing weights around any which way along with the fairly invisible staff.Just never got a nice feeling off the place.

Herberton feels like a dungeon to me, its nicely decorated sure, but there are pretty much no windows in the place. Free weights section is severely cramped during busy times, they have a pretty useless track thing in the middle of floor, machines are new but aren't the best, the trainers are probably the most dangerous and useless I've seen I a gym, one of them was in serious trouble over knowingly having a pregnant woman heavily weight training. There's no designated parking around the place either so its a nightmare, you pretty much just pull up on any curb you see and pray you dont get blocked in.

Thats my impression of two of the three, both fairly average but not the worst. You could probably find somewhere better if you added 5 minutes either way to your journey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

I've been to herberton and carlisle with friends and I wouldn't join either, never been to the other. Carlisle is always packed out evertime I've been (even before the conversion), hygiene wasn't the best but not bad, a lot of 16 year olds tossing weights around any which way along with the fairly invisible staff.Just never got a nice feeling off the place. Herberton feels like a dungeon to me, its nicely decorated sure, but there are pretty much no windows in the place. Free weights section is severely cramped during busy times, they have a pretty useless track thing in the middle of floor, machines are new but aren't the best, the trainers are probably the most dangerous and useless I've seen I a gym, one of them was in serious trouble over knowingly having a pregnant woman heavily weight training. There's no designated parking around the place either so its a nightmare, you pretty much just pull up on any curb you see and pray you dont get blocked in. Thats my impression of two of the three, both fairly average but not the worst. You could probably find somewhere better if you added 5 minutes either way to your journey
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm getting the impression from what I've heard elsewhere that Ben Dunnes gyms are cheap but not the best quality. Too busy etc. I suppose for those prices there has to be some drawbacks. There's the opposite end of the scale, really expensive gyms. I'm sure the service must be decent but who can justify spending that much per month? I'd also like to have a pool involved in a place I join. Westpark fitness and Swan Leisure fitness are two I've added to my potential list, not too much further than the others from me. It doesn't say the prices on their websites though, this usually means they're on the pricier side. Anyone have up to date information on those? I'll probably have to call in to check them out myself but you don't learn about everything on a guided tour with someone trying to get you to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I'm in Carlisle, I go before work and to be honest its not that bad, certainly not as bad as I would have expected from the reviews here.
    Yes there are a large number of fools wandering round (the sort that takes gym selfies/ wears full face of makeup) but most ppl just keep to themselves and get on with their workout.
    I don't use the pool, steam room, or jacuzzi so can't comment on them, but the changing rooms are clean enough, and I've never noted a hygiene issue there. Again as I said though I'm arriving at opening time so would expect things to be pretty clean at that stage.
    They could have a wider selection of free weights, but all in all its not bad for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Hi,

Does anyone a good gym/pool in the D9 or D2 area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Hi,

Does anyone a good gym/pool in the D9 or D2 area?

Thanks

For a gym in D9 it has to be RevFit www.revolutionfitness.ie on Richmond Road.
    The owner is James Hanley who is a frequent poster on here,

No pool in RevFit other than a pool of sweat after some of the workouts....

You could always just go for a swim in the Tolka afterwards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Anyone have any reviews on westpark gym in tallaght. Thinking on moving to there in the next few weeks. From chatting on emails it's 55pm for gym and pool membership which isn't too bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

greenman09 wrote: »
    Anyone have any reviews on westpark gym in tallaght. Thinking on moving to there in the next few weeks. From chatting on emails it's 55pm for gym and pool membership which isn't too bad.

Solid gym for the price, everything there, never too busy, all the pool stuff, clean, good atmosphere. Good gym.

Called in, they are doing a deal for the moment, €75 for 3 months, classes included, bargain!

Hey , just got a text as my initial 3 months is nearly over and they're offering me the same deal again once I re-sign before my 3 months expire, Happy Days....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Mardyke Arena, Cork City:

around €55/month for gym+pool membership.

I'd say it has to be the busiest gym in the city.

Pros:
    Great range and quality of equipment

2 or 3 good olympic lifting, powerlifting and strength & conditioning coaches

Sauna + steamroom

Cons:
    Gets very busy

Staff don't enforce the rules as much as they should

Has a ****ty range of pull up/chinup bars (all are angled and/or have crappy rubberised grips). There isn't just a straight knurled bar bolted to the wall anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Anyone a member of Southside S & F?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Anyone a member of Southside S & F?

Not a member but it looks the business, might give it a go some day. I'm member out in play in spawell called body design fitness. Love it out there. Very expensive compared to commercial gyms but the results are brilliant and well worth the extra few bob.It's a semi personal training gym so go for 1hr x3 a week.

The lads are brilliant and keep you on track with diet plan and keep you motivated throughout the hour you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Any one got any reviews or experience of Access Fitness in Raheny.
    I am moving up to that area soon enough, and looking for something to keep me busy.

Is there any Crossfit gyms around Raheny area?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Was looking at both BHAF and SSC in sandyford - can anyone give a recommendation for either, BHAF seems to be cheaper, I can't see a monthly fee on SSC.

I currently train in RAW but am starting a job out in Sndyford next month so wont have any reason to be in town after that as i am based around D18 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Was looking at both BHAF and SSC in sandyford - can anyone give a recommendation for either, BHAF seems to be cheaper, I can't see a monthly fee on SSC.

I currently train in RAW but am starting a job out in Sndyford next month so wont have any reason to be in town after that as i am based around D18 anyway.

When I'm stuck in Dublin ill train in bhaf and it's great. It's a proper gym for those wanting to do some proper training. They even turn tv presenters into power lifters !

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

When I'm stuck in Dublin ill train in bhaf and it's great. It's a proper gym for those wanting to do some proper training. They even turn tv presenters into power lifters !

Second BHAF, great place to train and Rob running it knows his stuff and is dead sound as are the other lads training out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Might be joining Flyfit in Machen St later this week. Any members here? Is it a good gym? Busy around 7am and 5:30pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Kai123 wrote: »
    Might be joining Flyfit in Machen St later this week. Any members here? Is it a good gym? Busy around 7am and 5:30pm?

Good gym, shít bars, always gonna be busy at those times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Anyone ever heard or used these guys?
    http://www.isipersonaltraining.com/

Advertisement