Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WC 2014 Brasil; Starts June 12th 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Belgium (-1) v Algeria. 20/21. Im not usually keen on handicap bets but this seems decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

For anyone doing the Australia 0 points bet at 2.50, you can get slightly better odds if you do a treble of three group opponents to win each individual game against Australia. I only checked PP and the odds raise to 2.54. Not a huge jump but every little helps, right?
    EDIT: Just noticing that Bet Victor have 2.62 for Australia to pick up 0 points.

I'm thinking of going to the same bet, along with a buffer of Australia to pick up exactly 1 point which is 3.20 on Bet365. Having watched most of their qualification campaign, along with Robbie Kruse likely to miss the tournament, I can't see them doing much. They might squeeze 1 point somewhere along the line but even that is unlikely. Even if Spain have qualified by their last game, their second string side is miles better than the Aussie's first team.

For anyone doing the Australia 0 points bet at 2.50, you can get slightly better odds if you do a treble of three group opponents to win each individual game against Australia. I only checked PP and the odds raise to 2.54. Not a huge jump but every little helps, right?
    EDIT: Just noticing that Bet Victor have 2.62 for Australia to pick up 0 points.

I'm thinking of going to the same bet, along with a buffer of Australia to pick up exactly 1 point which is 3.20 on Bet365. Having watched most of their qualification campaign, along with Robbie Kruse likely to miss the tournament, I can't see them doing much. They might squeeze 1 point somewhere along the line but even that is unlikely. Even if Spain have qualified by their last game, their second string side is miles better than the Aussie's first team.

Thanks for that massdebater. Im thinking of going with Ladbrokes because I think I might get a £50 bonus if I stick £50 on, they didnt seem to have a market for total points so I was looking at the individual games. Im sure most of the bookmakers will have World cup promotions so il hold fire until nearer the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

MOD

As there already was a WC thread, another one was a bit much.

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Be careful doing these bets as there is a chance that the bookie could void them as related contingencies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What do people think of Fred as top-scorer @ 33-1. He is Brazil's no. 1 striker after all and i fancy them to go very far. He was top-scorer in last years Confed Cup along with Torres with 5.

kerosene wrote: »
    so far im thinking of
    France to win group e 4/5
    portugal to beat Usa 4/6
    austrailia to get zero points 6/4
    I havent decided on ivory coast yet

I think il leave ivory coast and add Belgium-1 v algeria at 20/21. I think il just do four selections instead of six and il still put fifty on but hopefully with a fifty bonus from opening a new ladbrokes account.

Hopefully return approx €1400.

Warper wrote: »
    What do people think of Fred as top-scorer @ 33-1. He is Brazil's no. 1 striker after all and i fancy them to go very far. He was top-scorer in last years Confed Cup along with Torres with 5.

I wouldnt know much about him. But 33/1 for a starting striker for Brazil seems good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I think Benzema is the man for the goals. Up front hopefully on his own, easy group. Not a bad bunch of lads setting him up with Ribbery, Nasri and Cabaye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ghana to get 0 points in there group is 7/1... in a group with Germany, Portugal & USA it looks a decent shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Friend of mine always backs him. Great price. Think I'll jump on that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fred down to 25/1 on Paddys. Costa 22/1 PP paying 4 places E/W jumping on those 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Pp not letting me do a treble of Australia zero points, France to win their group and Italy to qualify from their group. How are these related bets? Anyone else having hassle getting on these type of bets?

Pp not letting me do a treble of Australia zero points, France to win their group and Italy to qualify from their group. How are these related bets? Anyone else having hassle getting on these type of bets?

I havent tried to put my bet on yet, I assumed there would be no problem. Ive no idea how they could be deemed as related. Did you try to put it on online or in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Sometimes the system classes things as related when they are clearly not. If you contact Customer Service then they will contact the traders and you should have no problem getting the bet on.

DB74 wrote: »
    Sometimes the system classes things as related when they are clearly not. If you contact Customer Service then they will contact the traders and you should have no problem getting the bet on.

Cheers I tried to do it online but will give it a go in shop.

Germany and Portugal to both qualify is another bet that caught my eye at 4/6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

France to top their group at 4/5 looks like maximum bet material.

tomaussie wrote: »

Quite a few people (me included) have said that. Still the biggest bet I've ever put on, though I will eclipse it on Spain to win the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

I was thinking of going for Ivory Coast to reach the quarters but the price is a bit skimpy,5/1.Haven't even looked at their squad yet but an in-form Toure alone could drag them deep with a bit of luck.Colombia,Greece and Japan isn't the hardest group,fairly competitive alright but a decent performance in 2 matches from any of the teams could top the group as they all have the potential to beat each other.After that it'd be Italy,England or Uruguay.Tough by any stretch but I think they've a very good chance at getting there at least.
    Might try come at it from a different angle as I'm not mad on that price.Semi-final @33/1 is a bit far but it's better value to me,maybe a split stake on both.Toure for player of the tournament is something I'm thinking about as well in the triple figures.Have watched fuk all Ivory Coast matches in recent time so wouldn't mind a few opinions on them or the others in their group,they're becoming my underdog side for some reason,even though I already have 3 or 4 other underdogs backed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

50 on a double of France to top there group / Australia 0 points returns 225.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

ASOT wrote: »
    50 on a double of France to top there group / Australia 0 points returns 225.

With who might I ask? :)

Beware France, they cost me a fortune in the Euros. Had them to top that group featuring England and they couldnt even beat them. They drew with England and lost to Sweden. France were in really good form going into that comp and they were crap. Look at their qualifying for Brazil, they barely made it through at all. I fancy a rock solid Swiss team to top that group, definitely would not go near France at odds-on. The ultimate flatter to deceive team of the past 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Dio On The Doubles

Same boat as that Warper I just cannot trust them for a bet. One of the most volatile teams in a competition like this to my mind. On first inspection their group looks like a group they should win but on past big competition appearances I couldn't back it.

edit: only bet I have on the WC so far is a small acca on group winners and went with Switzerland there. Haven't had a proper check on form going into the competition for all teams yet though.

Beware France, they cost me a fortune in the Euros. Had them to top that group featuring England and they couldnt even beat them. They drew with England and lost to Sweden. France were in really good form going into that comp and they were crap. Look at their qualifying for Brazil, they barely made it through at all. I fancy a rock solid Swiss team to top that group, definitely would not go near France at odds-on. The ultimate flatter to deceive team of the past 10 years
    Same boat as that Warper I just cannot trust them for a bet. One of the most volatile teams in a competition like this to my mind. On first inspection their group looks like a group they should win but on past big competition appearances I couldn't back it.

edit: only bet I have on the WC so far is a small acca on group winners and went with Switzerland there. Haven't had a proper check on form going into the competition for all teams yet though.

I can't go on previous performances. I have to go with what's in front of me.

They have an excellent Keeper and have quality throughout. Very good spine with enough quality up front to do damage.

I think they can beat B&H in the second round thus setting up a quarter final with Germany.

I think France to win their group at 4/5 is fantastic value.

Argentina at 5/1 have to be the value to win it. I'm having a decent bet on them.

I can't go on previous performances. I have to go with what's in front of me.

They have an excellent Keeper and have quality throughout. Very good spine with enough quality up front to do damage.

I think they can beat B&H in the second round thus setting up a quarter final with Germany.

I think France to win their group at 4/5 is fantastic value.

Argentina at 5/1 have to be the value to win it. I'm having a decent bet on them.

Previous performances are the best indicator of future performances.

Previous performances are the best indicator of future performances.

I hear ya but it won't stop me. At least one of us is guaranteed to be right.

If I get this wrong then I'm very wrong because I can't see anything but France cruising this group. And I mean really cruising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

I have France outright along with a few other medium shots,hate backing favourites for these tournaments as there's always a few shocks and the margin of error is so small.
    Last time out I backed Holland ew,thought they were a decent outfit,good on paper and walked the qualifiers.They managed to make the final after Brazil somehow gifted them the quarters.Then they almost anti-footballed their way to a win.I've no doubt that if Robben had went down in those last few minutes when Puyol connected with him they would've won a penalty and could have took the lead at the death.
    Spain still won it but at 4/1 pre-tourney I was happy to get my place,there was enough of a sweat on them with the Switzerland,Paraguay and Holland games,even in the Euros when Portugal brought them to penalties,those are the kind of matches that put me off a big stake on the favourites.
    As for France,as usual they look great on paper,and like the Euros have a new manager that might breathe some new life into them.Only thing is they looked horrible in the qualifiers.I got on them when it looked like they might not make it (did the same with Portugal) so the price was a bit better than what's out there now.They've got a good route to the quarters if they can start well and if they bomb I'll still be happy enough with what I got on them.Obligatory shout on Benzema top scorer too,seems like a lazy bástard sometimes in a French jersey but tonnes of quality up against a couple of average teams.
    Anyway tl;dr,I won't be going near the top 4,but if I did I'd pick Germany.Fairly surprised Belgium are so short but I suppose the bookies need to cover their asses after a few got them on a serious price over the last few years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

bradlente wrote: »
    Fairly surprised Belgium are so short but I suppose the bookies need to cover their asses after a few got them on a serious price over the last few years.

Only reason why the are so short is because of a few of them do well in the premier league.

They have big issues on left and right back where they will ahve to play centre backs who together played 10 matches this season, Vermaelen and Alderweireld.

They have 11 great players, too bad for them a lot of them are playing in the same position.

• Advertisement

Beware France, they cost me a fortune in the Euros. Had them to top that group featuring England and they couldnt even beat them.

England have some very good players. Finalists Italy couldn't beat them in 120 minutes. I think France will absolutely walk this group.

Look at this team compared to 2012. Where were Pogba, Varane, Greismann, Mangala? What was Koscielny like 2 years ago and what is he like now? Benzema is in good form this year and broke that long-standing goal drought. the psg players have two good seasons of champ league experience now.

And if you want to talk about qualifying they had only two bad results. drew away to georgie (spain beat them 1-0 in the last 5 mins) and lost to ukraine, which they put right in the second leg.

Things change in 2 years. Belgium didn't get to the euros, and now they're 5th favourite for the world cup.

I do think switzerland are better than people may think, and hitzfield if he's still there will get them organised. But there's a gulf in class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement