Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pressure in Lidil/Aldi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

stevieob wrote: »
    so is having a bit of room behind the till for the checkout girl/boy to put your groceries while you bag them.

it takes me longer in lidl/adlie because of the lack of room

Did you never wonder why their tills are designed in such a way so that the trolley fits neatly behind the cashier? You pull in, load up your trolley (I am a bags open in the bottom of the trolley shopper) and head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You're not supposed to pack at the till, that's what the shelved area behind the till is for.

Oh I thought that was for the kids to sit on and shout at their parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Oh I thought that was for the kids to sit on and shout at their parents.

I made love to my female compatriot up on top of one at the end of a very successful shopping trip. There was a deal on condoms and we bought more than we could carry so... up ya boy ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did you never wonder why their tills are designed in such a way so that the trolley fits neatly behind the cashier? You pull in, load up your trolley (I am a bags open in the bottom of the trolley shopper) and head off.

Nope. Often thought how stupid it was to be so small but never wondered why..... Just figured it was bad planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Queing up in these places is always much much longer than any other shop, so I don't get where this whole speed craps is coming from cause it's slow

Gee, I wonder why...
    I'll take my time and pack my bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Nope. Often thought how stupid it was to be so small but never wondered why..... Just figured it was bad planning

Open your mind, think different. We have such a variety of shopping now that's wonderful, go to SuperValu if you want pampering and whilst some items will actually match ALDI a few won't so you pay a little more and so forth.

ALDI are like a warehouse that the public access, it's not by chance that some of the aisle are made up entirely of palleted goods, off the truck to the aisle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

but this might be something people are used to on the continent. it's a new concept here (yea I know they have been here a few years now) but still most of us do our shopping in normal civilised supermarkets. even in dunnes the checkout girl will almost always help you pack your bags (except the last one who happened to be african)

i never spotted any signs to go to the window to pack my bags and nobody ever told me to. if they did, i'd tell them where to go.

!

Civilised/not civilised.. You seem to have it all covered :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

and men saying "jayus, for 15 quid, who doesn't need an angle grinder and a wet suit?"

Who else just read that in Dara Ó Briain's accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

If you regularly go to LIDL like me, on the odd time you pop into Tescos it always seems like they're scanning your stuff through in slow motion.

Give me the speed of LIDL any day, I've got sh:t to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

smash wrote: »
    This really gets to me. Their fruit and veg have no expiry dates and they last feck all time when you get them home. It's also more expensive than Tesco where for example, you can get a bag of apples, bag of oranges and a bag of bananas for €3 all in.

Do tesco print expiry dates on their loose fruit and veg now? Can you not tell yourself when fruit and veg is if edible quality? Sure lidl and aldi do weekly specials on fruit and veg too, you'd never ever get 2 punnets of rasberries in tesco for €3.

• Advertisement

I generally do go to the other supermarkets... I'm just giving my opinions, not saying anything bad about these places, they do a job and they do it well, but for me I only pop in when I'm passing and need to do a shop, but mostly I do prefer the comforts of super value as I already said.

And Lidl and aldie are slow at the tills cause there is always no more than 2 or maybe 3 open with loads of people and not because I take my time, I already said I dont do big shops there, just the basics. In other supermarkets, when it's busy they get extra people on the tills.

If litl and aldie want speed, why don't they just introduce scan it yourself tills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

On the contrary, very good planning. When Lidl first opened here, the cashiers would scan and put the goods straight into the trolley, so you didn't even have the option of putting them into a bag in the trolley, you had to go to the packing area. They also used to have signs up indicating the packing area, I guess they've been here so long now, they've removed those signs, assuming customers understand the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Who else just read that in Dara Ó Briain's accent?
    Dara O'Briain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

This fast Aldi\Lidl system does not work for elderly people. Also, not everyone needs a trolley, a simple empty bag worth will do. Its impossible to carry a bagless full of shopping from the till to the packing area to be put into the bag, it has to be thrown into the bag at the till as you're not allowed to bring the basket passed the till. No worries impatient people I always have the bag open at the till ready to chuck my shopping in so you wouldn't get upset :)

A tip to relieve to pressure at the till, always pay by card, it buys seconds ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Tzardine wrote: »
    I can't stand aldi / lidl but my other half insists on buying her fruit and veg and some other bits there.

I say turn this pressure with packing back onto them. I refuse to pack my stuff away from the till on that retarded shelf. Out of protest I will actually not pack a single thing until I have paid. Watching the cashier stack everything up on the tiny space is a joy to behold. Its kinda like playing jenga in reverse.

You Sir are an evil genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

Lidl and Aldi are both low cost models. They're not luxury. They're the Ryanair of retail. While the quality of the food is rarely compromised, the shopping experience is. You don't stroll around at a leisurely pace, comparing 10 brands of coffee for 10 euros each. You fly around, pick up your coffee for 2 euros and whatever else you want, and you get the **** out to leave room for the next punter. Low cost model. Get with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Less the till speed, more the fact everyone of them I go into seems to require me to go through a till to get out, even if I'm not buying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I generally do go to the other supermarkets... I'm just giving my opinions, not saying anything bad about these places, they do a job and they do it well, but for me I only pop in when I'm passing and need to do a shop, but mostly I do prefer the comforts of super value as I already said.

And Lidl and aldie are slow at the tills cause there is always no more than 2 or maybe 3 open with loads of people and not because I take my time, I already said I dont do big shops there, just the basics. In other supermarkets, when it's busy they get extra people on the tills.

If litl and aldie want speed, why don't they just introduce scan it yourself tills?

Extra tills are opened if there are more than 5 people in each queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

, but mostly I do prefer the comforts of super value as I already said.

Sorry now, but we are talking about supermarkets I don't know of this chain.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Extra tills are opened if there are more than 5 people in each queue.

Well not anytime I've ever been there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The bell is rung if there are more than 5 in the queue. Large difference between that and a till opening.
    That's beside the point- its idiots reaching the end of the queue without realising they may have to pay for their goods. These imbeciles still think somebody will be impressed if they pay for their banana with a credit card.

What they do with packing is not in my interest - they can **** off to the car park. I've already moved in with an Ebola like cough and started to unfold into my 2 year old Dunnes stores bag (with cellotape warwounds).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

This is THE job for Aldi/Lidl shoppers;

fartyarse wrote: »
    This is THE job for Aldi/Lidl shoppers;

The job for any shoppers!!! Where can you get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Chucken wrote: »
    The job for any shoppers!!! Where can you get them?

In Aldi

In Aldi

Curses. Hard to nick one and get across the Ha'penny Bridge. Then to get on a bus to Cork Street. Perhaps I can bribe a junkie to rob one or two for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I say turn this pressure with packing back onto them. I refuse to pack my stuff away from the till on that retarded shelf. Out of protest I will actually not pack a single thing until I have paid. Watching the cashier stack everything up on the tiny space is a joy to behold. Its kinda like playing jenga in reverse.

Why would you do that to a cashier doing their job? They don't plan the procedure or design the shop.

I find Aldi and Lidl staff to be very pleasant and friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Aldi workers get a sheet of paper at the end of their shift telling them how many items they scanned per hour ( average) each store has its own target but it's mainly around 1000 .

It also tells them how many voids ( mistakes / customer put backs ) .

How much money your till is up or down .

Refunds.

Usually every 6 months you have a review to discuss how your last 6 months has gone, you get your average till scans per hour , and over the last 6 months how much your till is up or down to the cent .

When working on the shop floor in mornings you also get a time limit per pallet you work , so example... Food cans and general cereal / you get 20 mins per pallet/. Fruit and veg ... 10 mins per pallet .

I worked in aldi for a few years and I found place to be ok . You always get a few narky customers but generally people know the score . If I got a narky person I'd just slow down, or if I got a older person .

I found place like any other place I've ever worked , if you keep your head down and just get on with your job nobody is going to break your balls over till speeds or pallet times .

I hear the theme tune from Benny Hill when I'm in Lidl or Aldi pmsl.

Surprised one of them haven't picked up on it.

• Advertisement

I wonder will Aldi introduce a system of a sort of Tornado Horn when the teller hits 40 items per minute?
    Lidl will have to go one further with a Tsunami sound horn for when the teller hits 41 items per minute.

Hee hee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

I can't stand aldi / lidl but my other half insists on buying her fruit and veg and some other bits there.

What about the person behind you.Fine for you if you have time to hang around not everyone has time to stand around scratching. Get out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Didn't someone try to sue Lidl for a heart attack suffered while at the tills?

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Didn't someone try to sue Lid for a heart attack suffered while at the tills?

Was that the teller or the customer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Customer

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Customer

Shoulda gone to Dunnes lol. Obviously she lived to tell the tale if she was suing though hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Why do people feel under so much pressure. Why can't we all live like Jamaicans and just relax. I doubt the place will blow up if someone has taken a few minutes longer packing their shopping. The place isn't a ticking time bomb.

I was in Lidl one day and I was shocked when the cashier actually helped me pack my bags. I fancy him now :)

Sweet Rose wrote: »
    Why do people feel under so much pressure. Why can't we all live like Jamicians and just relax. I doubt the place will blow up if someone has taken a few minutes longer packing their shopping. The place isn't a ticking time bomb.

I was in Lidl one day and I was shocked when the cashier actually helped me pack my bags. I fancy him now :)

Exactly. Surely if you've decided its time to go shopping, then you've set aside enough time to do it. So what if you have to wait a few minutes in a queue or pack your shopping from the trolly, away from the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

They need more staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Why wont they add a checkout for 10 items or less. I'm standing there with 2 or 3 things stuck behind some woman with 20 loaves of bread, 8 bags of chips and 7 large pizzas.

• Advertisement

copey wrote: »
    They need more staff

LOL, I think anyone who has ever spent two minutes in their shop knows that.
    They pay their floor staff well.
    But, they expect 120% all the time. Unsustainable. That's what they demand however. Try getting a job with them!

Why wont they add a checkout for 10 items or less. I'm standing there with 2 or 3 things stuck behind some woman with 20 loaves of bread, 8 bags of chips and 7 large pizzas.

Well, get off the internet and ask her nicely if you can pop ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I just find it all very off putting, grocery shopping shouldnt be a stressful experience.

I should be able to stroll around, pick up what I need and then pack my bag at the till.

Instead its all bells loudly ringing, packets of ham being fired in your face, "this till is closed sir" being shouted at you repeatedly and general stress inducing scenarios

Will have to float back to tesco next time :P

Trick to Lidl is to pop down early in the morning (pre 9 AM) before the moms start shopping. No buggies, prams or toddlers. Just a quick cruise around the store and one or two others (at most) in front of you. All in a hurry to get somewhere, all paying cash and packing as they go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Ah thanks, that's great fun for the people in the queue behind you as well. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

muddypaws wrote: »
    On the contrary, very good planning. When Lidl first opened here, the cashiers would scan and put the goods straight into the trolley, so you didn't even have the option of putting them into a bag in the trolley, you had to go to the packing area. They also used to have signs up indicating the packing area, I guess they've been here so long now, they've removed those signs, assuming customers understand the system.

Or they gave up lol.

I remember cashiers trying to force everyone to place thier trolly in the "correct manner", but so many people not having any of it, and doing their own thing.

Some people will pack quickly, some won't. You can't force people to do what they don't want to do. If you try, they'll do the opposite, just in spite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Or they gave up lol.

I remember cashiers trying to force everyone to place thier trolly in the "correct manner", but so many people not having any of it, and doing their own thing.

Some people will pack quickly, some won't. You can't force people to do what they don't want to do. If you try, they'll do the opposite, just in spite.

Prolly the best and most accurate explanation of the success of the Aldi/Lidl model and equally why our way beats Boston's OR Berlin's anyday.....(as long as they keep bailing us out ;))

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Lidl actually have four or six tills for ten items or less in Moore street Dublin. That's a busy shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

They don't have an exit for people who have no items. Which means if I'm just going in for a look or something, I have to awkwardly walk through the small area where people are purchasing goods. This causes a minor amount of social discomfort for me, making my life very slightly more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

People mindlessly chatting small talk with the cashier too really annoys me. It takes every fiber of my being not to shout get a f**cking move on whenever someone in front of me does it.

Even if I know the cashier I don't delay them and everyone else by making small talk because I realise the object of the exercise is to get your crap and get out of the damn way as fast as possible so everyone else can get theirs and get on with their lives.

It happened today in supervalu, cashier and customer in front of me were talking about how they both had a hysterectomy in the past, discussion between them went on for ages. I was standing there with a severe hangover thinking if anyone if anyone else got in the way of me going home with food I'd give them a hysterectomy with my shoe!

Law'd Jesus aint nobody got time fo'dat

Advertisement