Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

@commander; i know there's a way to get java for os5, it's a bit buggy, but i'll check it out and see what comes of it. was hoping there was a palm app that could be customised, but that's hoping for too much! :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i also have a html interface to it if you want. it costs about 2c for a text with standard gprs charges. and of course there are no compatibility issues. it has a phone book but doesn't have all the other features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

following on from this thread, i made a new desktop based texting program. the AFT server is being taken down soon so the desktop based clients JSMS and multitext will stop working.

the server side code of AFT is being made available for other people to host and the phone based AFT client is being rewritten to allow the server to be changed by the user but the multitext project has stopped and the guy who wrote JSMS is on a round the world trip or something so a new one was needed. And here it is :)

its similar to multitext but independently made. there's probably some bugs in it because it was made in about 6 hours so let me know if you find any. its set to use the aft server at the moment but that won't work forever. if anyone wants a copy of my server side code to host themselves pm me. my version works with vodafone :) and if anyone wants to make their hosting available for others to use that'd be great.

its called cabbage. there is no reason to call it cabbage but i wasn't bothered thinking of anything so i chose a random word. if anyone can think of a good name you can have a share in the €0.00 i'm making from it

edit: i decided that i was sick of uploading it back here every time and boards stops you editing posts after a while so you can get it here:
    http://geocities.com/cabbagetexter/cabbage.zip

link doesnt work:(

yeah the site can be quite unreliable, although it worked for me just there. i attached it to the previous page of this thread too

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54363083&postcount=112

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

does palm os support java midp2?

if do, AFT would do the job for yourself

okay, a productive afternoon. just to let you all know. i downloaded and installed the java virtual machine for palm os, took about 2 mins. then after much searchin downloaded java mobile sdk, converted the aft jar and jad to a prc file for palm os. installed...working perfectly. now sitting at home using wifi to text using online webtext!

success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Nice work Vimes, only I can't get the Vodafone to work:(
    I get Invalid Login details

Nice work Vimes, only I can't get the Vodafone to work:(
    I get Invalid Login details
    its working fine for me using the server and not using it so are you sure that you're using the right login details? Try logging into the site and see if it works

it might have been a temporary problem with the site too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Just to say thanks a lot - this program is saving me a fortune. Have sent 50 texts = a fiver this week alone. My phone bill this month is the lowest it has ever been. Commander Vimes rules ok.

kmick wrote: »
    Just to say thanks a lot - this program is saving me a fortune. Have sent 50 texts = a fiver this week alone. My phone bill this month is the lowest it has ever been. Commander Vimes rules ok.

your welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

I have downloaded the program. Now how do I get it to work?
    what login details?
    I am on vodafone

• Advertisement

Sid71 wrote: »
    I have downloaded the program. Now how do I get it to work?
    what login details?
    I am on vodafone

the login details you use if you're going to send a webtext from the vodafone website. the user name is your phone number.

if you've never registered, go to www.vodafone.ie and register. if you have registerd but don't remember the password, click "forgot your password". it'll ask you a security question, probably your date of birth and then send your password to you in a text. if you put in the answer to the question and it says its wrong, call vodafone and they'll sort it out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misho

First of all, many thanks for this application, it's simply great and hopefully I will never need to go to that annoying Meteror web page again.

I'd have one question/suggestion. Since this application can send long sms (more texts at once), I'd rather like to be able to press the text to make the text shorter. I know myself how I hate when somebody sends me 3-4 texts at once.

For example, this is what I mean:
    I use for such a thing the feature provided at another webpage. Type a text, hit the button and u will get this: "ThisIsMyTestTextMessageWhereIMakeTheTextShorter"
    (btw. also linking SMS service of a provider to make the life easier, but it's a slovak page, so I attach a picture how do i get the result).

smsgate1ed6.jpg

i've added that thing to compress the text, added a button to check for an update and fixed a few bugs. the new version is available for download. you can get it here or the normal link

works perfect, many thanks! ;)

Oops, there's some bugs in the version I just uploaded. I'll upload a new version as soon as I get home this evening.

Thanks!

Sorry about that... here's the corrected version.

http://www.geocities.com/cabbagetexter/cabbage.zip

Or else see the attachment.

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Would be able to tell me, how exactly do I import contacts in this application. I have alot of contacts saved in a previous version and want to import my contacts list.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Would be able to tell me, how exactly do I import contacts in this application. I have alot of contacts saved in a previous version and want to import my contacts list.
    there are two things you can do. The easiest one is to just replace the old cabbage program with the new one wherever you stored it. The phonebook is stored in the folder that unzips with the program so if you keep your old folder, you keep your old phone book.

It could cause a problem if you have a very old version so if it stops working, go into the new folder and copy all the files in it to the old one

the other thing you can do is click the import contacts button, find where you stored the old program using the file list box, then go into the "cabbage" folder and look for a file called "book". double click it and when it asks what character(s) are used to separate entries, type in "£&%$" (without the quotes)

misho wrote: »
    works perfect, many thanks! ;)
    ops, something went wrong
    I downloaded the last version (your post at 18:36 today) and it doesn't work: "error (-5) restarting the program may fix the problem"

oddly, I was OK with the version posted up at 14:53 today

any suggestions? :( shouldn't ask u to experiment, I know

press settings->manage server and uncheck use server. the reason its not working is the version you downloaded was set to use the AFT server and its not working

• Advertisement

that did it, cheers :)

I seem to be getting "error2 could not connect to network site" alot lately. Any ideas, the meteor website seems fine. Can send them from there. Also if I tick the server, I get an Error timeout, however the message does go this way.

i've found that myself in the past few days but i ran out of texts on my meteor account so i haven't seen the exact nature of the problem. Whe you say you've been getting it a lot, are there some times that it doesn't give you the error or is it every time you have tried since the first time the error showed?

Meteor have probably made a change to their site that i'll have to take account of. I should get a chance to do it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

i keep getting a timeout on meteor?

i keep getting a timeout on meteor?

read the above post

Whe you say you've been getting it a lot, are there some times that it doesn't give you the error or is it every time you have tried since the first time the error showed?

Meteor have probably made a change to their site that i'll have to take account of. I should get a chance to do it tomorrow

Yeah, I get that error all the time now.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yeah, I get that error all the time now.

right so. i took a quick look last night and meteor have changed their site. i'll get working on it now

the site has been down all morning so i'll get to it when they decide to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yeah its crazy. I was out of texts too until today. Page still experiencing difficulties after three days. Grrrr

• Advertisement

its fixed now. i've uploaded the new one here and at http://geocities.com/cabbagetexter/cabbage.zip

i have to congratulate meteor. the site now has one of those things that makes you enter the text that appears in an image. it asks you to do it if you enter your pin wrong a few times

so now my program that could crack meteor accounts in about and hour doesn't work anymore. well done meteor

Advertisement