Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I thought it was alright. New characters didn't really add much, very much a case of ticking all the diverse boxes rather than trying to get them to blend in naturally.

Problem is that Independence Day struck gold by having the most charismatic young actor in Hollywood in Will Smith. Hemsworth and the guy who played Dylan are dull.

It's fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

We're pretty much guaranteed a third one from that ending as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,146 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was thinking "not too bad, better than expected" til siri bot started talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

This is my pitch for the what the sequel should have been. A little late now i guess :) .

The president guy is still in charge, he's made himself president of earth and suspended term limits, civil liberties etc. because he thinks he's the only one who can protect the world.

A second fleet of ships show up, these are actually the civilian ships the others were the military. They have little in the way of weapons and pose no threat but can't move on because they're running short of resources. Pulman launches an attack against them and Goldbloom etc have to fight earth to save all the little alien babies.

The daughter gives the big speech against dictatorships and the overuse of national security etc. It ends with Goldbloom convincing the aliens and earthlings to join their technology to terraform Mars as a new permanent home for the aliens.
    There, there's your damn sequel :D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm so glad it wasn't just me!!!! I was sitting watching this thinking 'Was the first one this corny?' The writing in this was awful with the first hour or so being all tell and no show, 'can you believe that today is the 7,280th day you've been in a coma?', the opening speech reads like a 'previously', it was just awful. There was no chemistry between the pilots and their "banter" was atrocious. What was the point of the psychologist? She was bloody dreadful and they completely ignored David's ex from the first film.

I wouldn't mind so much but there were some generally interesting ideas; President Whitmore having PTS was a really nice twist I thought, as was the mental connection with the aliens (just leave out the **** psychologist) and the pilots doing Die Hard on the mother ship would also have been cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Myself and my wife saw it on Thursday. We were very disappointed. My wife loves the original. She has seen it dozens of times in the last 20 years. In fact I remember seeing it a few times in the cinema.
    Story has more holes than Swiss cheese, dialogue was bad & even the acting wasn't great at times. At times it felt downright cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Saw this last night.... not sure how I feel about it. It ticked a lot of the nostalgia boxes and some of the mass destruction and battles looked pretty spectacular. However, it just didn't capture whatever it was that made the original so great.

I know the original was corny and the plot was full of holes but that was amplified here and without the sense of adventure and the inclusion of so many side plots that go literally nowhere it just made all the holes here that bit more unforgivable. I HATE that they went down the "hive" route with a Queen that rules them all. It just left the whole thing (and elements of the original) a bit of an over-complicated mess. I mean, why do the alien leave when the Queen dies?! They were seconds away from achieving their goal (the molten core) and then just pack up because the Queen dies. Such an anticlimax as well as being stupid.

Another thing that really bugged me in this was the fluctuating strength of the alien shields. The original was straight forward. Shields impenetrable and then taken down by virus. This though... small ships shields taken down by a few shots, but then there's these little devices that put a shield around a BIG bomb and they survive, and THEN the Queen's shields hold up for ages under fire. It's probably a bit nit-picky for a movie like this but as I said the was nothing to hide behind in this as there was in ID.

Final criticism. What was the point of all those little side plots? ID wasn't a screenplay masterpiece but at least all the little threads linked up and impacted the outcome. Here, the bus trip... what that about? They could have at least had the Dad ram the bus into the Queen at the end so there was some point to the Dad's story. He'd get a second book out of it too.

In the end though, I enjoyed it. It's a dumb blockbuster sequel to a slightly less dumb blockbuster movie. I like the addition of the intergalactic war too. It opens up some great potential for further sequels.

Corniest line... "the molten core is secure"

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Well that was terrible. Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I watched I, Frankenstein the other day! It was full of generic one note characters, I couldn't give a damn about. Floyd? Lloyd? Who cares about you? No one. None of the plot connects in any way with the last movie. There were too many plot holes with the queen being brought in. If there was a queen in the last mother ship, how come they had a ground war with the aliens afterwards.

I have no idea if Liam Hemsworth or his bland co stars can act including Incompetent Sidekick, Not Jaden Smith and Asian Girl who does Nothing. I know she was shoehorned in for the China market but they could have given her something to accomplish.

Which brings me to another point. I'm not usually so annoyed but because it was so blatant, it really turned my stomach. I'm not an uber sensitive social justice warrior. But I found the misogyny really offensive. Women existed in this movie either to die or to be saved by other men. This macho BS is just the limit. Plus they killed another gay character...again.

The only positive points wee the special effects and Bill Pullman's performance.

Other than that, there is no rewatch value to this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Just saw it. Pretty rubbish soulless sequel to a charming entertaining original.

Has Judd Hirsch aged at all in the last 20 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been following this thread for the last few days and knew about all the negativity. I went in with very low expectations and you know something? I didn't hate it. I'd go as far as to say I enjoyed it. I knew it wasn't going to be Citizen Kane 2, but I left my brain at home, got my popcorn and coke and just had a good time.

Yeah there were plotholes. At the start the mothership was "in danger of slicing the planet in two" but took an awful long time to drill for the core. After the queen died, why didn't the harvester ship just cut its losses and destroy everything?

The returning cast (plus Maika Monroe) all did a good job. There was humour (despite many reviews saying otherwise) and there were some nice nods to the original, like Whitmore's broken character (and sacrifice) compared to Russell in the first movie, and Julius' slow driving.

Not sure I'll see it again in a hurry, but I've had MUCH worse times in the cinema than this.

Those who say "it was the worst movie I've ever seen" need to watch more movies. From just this year, Gods of Egypt, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Angry Birds, Batman vs. Superman, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Zoolander 2, Dirty Grandpa, Ridealong 2, The 5th Wave and The Danish Girl were all less enjoyable than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apolloyon wrote: »

Which brings me to another point. I'm not usually so annoyed but because it was so blatant, it really turned my stomach. I'm not an uber sensitive social justice warrior. But I found the misogyny really offensive. Women existed in this movie either to die or to be saved by other men. This macho BS is just the limit. Plus they killed another gay character...again.

you sound like one in fairness :pac: , the president was a woman , the ex president's daughter was an awesome mary sue fighter pilot and we had the female chinese pilot and the scientist character in Africa.
    and whats with they "killed another gay character", lots of people died in the movie, its one of those movies where you dont really care who they kill

I saw it today its ok, wasnt as good as the first, no memorable action sequences , no humour and the cast of characters were forgettable. interesting plot addition for the next movie. forgetable summer movie

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

the original is currently on RTE 2.

Why attack a ship the size of a city with little air-to-air missiles.
    Thank god for Randy Quaid's sacrifice.

The new one seems another level of planetary destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its dead Jim (the foreign sales will rescue it)
    Resurgence, which opened in 4,068 theaters this weekend and pulled in an estimated $16.8 million (including $4 million from Thursday night screenings) is on its way to an opening around $41-44 million, a poor opening given the film's $165 million budget. The film scored a "B" CinemaScore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was even worse than the Mrs Brown's Boys movie. Worst thing I've ever seen. Every cliché in the book, every tired trope and a cast which couldn't possibly be less likeable or bland.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Its dead Jim (the foreign sales will rescue it)

Definitely a flop (estimates but they tend to be pretty accurate)

FRIDAY $16,800,000
    SATURDAy $14,000,000
    SUNDAY $10,800,000

Its a nostalgia film
    Taking second was Fox's Independence Day: Resurgence, which carries a reported budget of $165 million and opened with an estimated $41.6 million. Coupled with negative reviews and a so-so "B" CinemaScore this one may have a tough time doing anything more than $100-110 million domestically. Demographically, Resurgence played to an audience that was 58% male vs 42% female, with 64% over the age of 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

When does it open in Chine? They've done a lot to target that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

that was fncking brilliant!
    I dunno what alot of ye were expecting, I laughed whole way through and had a great time which is what I want from a silly blockbuster movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

wp_rathead wrote: »
    that was fncking brilliant!
    I dunno what alot of ye were expecting, I laughed whole way through and had a great time which is what I want from a silly blockbuster movie

Don't know about "****ing brilliant" but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Is it as iconic or have as many star making performances as ID4 . Nope. but it is better then the miserablists say here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I thought it was ok. Better than the dire new X Men movie that I was dragged to a few weeks ago. The main thing I didn't like was the way everything was so futuristic- felt totally detached from the characters because they weren't from this world as we know it. Also wisecracks and banter between Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum :( Who looks amazing for his age!

I'd give it 5 or 6 outta 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

This movie really felt the lack of Will Smith, or at least a Will Smith replacement. With the except of Monroe, none of the new cast were up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Worst movie I have ever seen.

Absolutely terrible. Avoid at all costs.

Loved the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Worst movie I have ever seen.

Absolutely terrible. Avoid at all costs.

Loved the original.

I agree, as bad as the 2nd Transformers movie, I face-palmed more in this than any other movie I've ever watched. I too loved the original but this was just stupid on so many levels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw it this evening. That was the one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time...and i really enjoyed it. Ah so many bad moments, plot holes and awful dialogue, but it just worked for me :P The last 20 minutes was so beyond ridiculous that i have to assume they knew just how bad it was, and just decided to go with it anyway.

I think picking apart the movie afterwards with my friends helped though, as that was hilarious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Haven't seen the movie yet, but considering the first beloved movie concluded with a triple whammy of the aliens being defeated by suffering a Windows virus, a nuclear explosion that destroyed the mothership, but our heroes survived in the alien fighter and Randy Quaid flying his biplane up a flying saucer laser gun, I'll reserve judgement till I see the new film.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in deleted scenes from the previous movie explain why they were able to interface? I'm not sure why it was removed, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Don't know about "****ing brilliant" but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Is it as iconic or have as many star making performances as ID4 . Nope. but it is better then the miserablists say here imo.

Agreed....

I don't think it was any more corny then the original and in many ways had the same formula. For anybody who enjoyed the original in the cinema I think we can forget that 20 years of life can change our perception, tastes and likes, particularly in movies. I think our rose tinted perception of the original can skewer our ability to objectively rate a similar one today.

While I wouldn't recommend this movie to anybody, I went in with low expectations and came out feeling like it generally met my expectations. The biggest gripe for me is that it felt rushed and savagely edited , that I wouldn't put down to the director. I think Fox panicked and edited it down for 2 hours. There were moments were scenes only needed an extra 5-10 seconds for big moments/dialogue to be given a bit more tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There was no tension. That was the best part of the original, the creeping menace, with satellites going off, no one knows what's going on, even after the alien craft appear, they sit there for a couple of days before attacking.

That's where ID4 went downhill, once we got into the military action and the dogfights, and "welcome to Earth" and all that. It went from being a possibly very good alien attack movie to a dumb, though enjoyable, summer blockbuster.

The new one has none of the tension, and all of the dumb summer blockbuster.

Still the best most recent alien attack film is Spielberg's War of The Worlds. That doesn't pander to it's audience. In fact, it's what it *doesn't* show is what makes it work.

The Rotten Tomatometer gives it 32% fresh from critics reviews but much worse just 38% of public reviews and 5.7 on IMDB which is pretty bad as early reviews tend to be the most gushing and obviously "fixed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Wedwood wrote: »
    Haven't seen the movie yet, but considering the first beloved movie concluded with a triple whammy of the aliens being defeated by suffering a Windows virus...
    Actually, it was a Mac. I know... The irony.

Advertisement