Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy show axed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Will must have mentioned all the free time hes going too have about 10 times

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Interesting bitching session about the licence fee there earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Lindy Clarke currently produces the golden hour. John produces will leahy from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Lindy Clarke currently produces the golden hour. John produces will leahy from dublin
    Thought Mike Cahill produced Will Leahy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

Thought Mike Cahill produced Will Leahy?
    He used too but he moved to the Rick O'Shea show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

bbability wrote: »
    I believe its John's daughter Lindy.

Is everybody working in 2fm related to everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoin 19

Like do they seriously think they are going to boost ratings in the 4.30pm - 7pm slot by dumping Will Leahy and installing this yoke as his replacement....

colm-hayes.png?resize=300%2C162

I don't mean to sound so personal but he makes my skin crawl... his 'Up the Dubs' 'Hon United' 'COYBIG' attitute is horrible....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Can't stand that tool either.

Listened to Will Leahy every evening on my way home from work, he was good fun without being over bearing and he didn't seem to up his own arse.

I'll especially miss the security guard's jokes and special song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

GSF wrote: »
    Is everybody working in 2fm related to everyone else?

Slightly off topic - does Mike Ryan (Gerry's brother) produce a show on 2FM?? Does he put together the overnight output??. I know he still works in RTE radio anyway.

What shows does Aidan Leonard produce?

I can say 100% I won't be listening to 2fm Monday-Friday. If Chris Greene & Ciara King are on at night I might dip in and out though..

Apart from that there is nothing there for me.. Overall the new schedule is cold and full of utter arseholes who are so far detached from reality. The sense of community that was there on the station from Hector's show and Will's show is just gone. The station is just, in one word, COLD.

The breakfast show will just be sneery and uncomfortable to listen to. Tubridy is as snobby and distant as usual. Listening to him today being so awfully patronising towards Larry Gogan and his "milk man dropping the bottle of milk on the doorstep" was ridiculous. Nicky Byrne's show has disaster written all over it. Rick O'Shea is alright but I find him difficult to listen to at times. Colm Hayes then is just vile. Absolutely vile. I'm assuming going by reports the rest of the evening will be Game On with another Dub Damien O'Meara!! He will I presume be followed by that Louise McSharry who is ok but don't see anything special there... Chris Greene and Ciara King are fine, I'll tune into them.

Weekend look great on the other hand with Will, Ruth & Paddy and Larry - all my favourite hosts because they are warm, cheery and easy to listen to. Wasted at the weekend.

Dan Healy - you have destroyed 2fm for me. I always defended the station because I enjoyed listening to it. Now, I'm gone.

This wave of criticisim you are getting for this "'#new2fm" is not going to go away or settle. It is going to persist and will result in thousands and thousands of people from outside of Dublin, who were loyal to the station, abandoning it in their droves. The new listeners in Dublin you were hoping to attract are not going to be tuning into 2fm anytime soon - then you'll have created a right fine mess for yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Eoin 19 wrote: »
    'Up the Dubs'

Nothing wrong with that [say's Blue 4 Ever !!]

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

blue4ever wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that [say's Blue 4 Ever !!]

No there isn't ... If your a Dublin station. But when you're a nationwide broadcaster it may grate on everybody that's not from Dublin. I'm a Dub too and it grates on me a bit too

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

I wonder will the new show continue with the "Special song"...I have an email sent in since early last year for May this year.Ill be really disappointed if they axed this.It'llleave a lot of people upset.
    It's the sentiment that's attached to a lot of these letters that matter so would be very disappointing...:mad:

To be honest I hope they get rid of it, not because it isn't a good part of the show (I really like it) but I hate to think of Colm Hayes getting listeners in on a part of the show that was introduced and built up by Will Leahy. If he's so great, let him come up with his own ways to bring in listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

why are all the performers moved or fired and tubridy the biggest listener loser remains safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

To be honest I hope they get rid of it, not because it isn't a good part of the show (I really like it) but I hate to think of Colm Hayes getting listeners in on a part of the show that was introduced and built up by Will Leahy. If he's so great, let him come up with his own ways to bring in listeners.

While it was a nice fluffy feature, it was hardly unique or original. Gareth cheesy O'Callaghan was doing a similar feature on his afternoon show 20 years ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i new something terrible was happening at 2fm when the new boss announced that there will be no more music from before 2000 on the the playlist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

No there isn't ... If your a Dublin station. But when you're a nationwide broadcaster it may grate on everybody that's not from Dublin. I'm a Dub too and it grates on me a bit too
    And i agree (very sensitive souls here today!)

But, see the attached - that's what is fixating the station bosses and it's their remedy.

It becomes even more pronounced when you look at how they do in the regional franchises - then compare that to the Dublin Market.

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/regional-stations-2013-q4

C

I think 2fm will have to at some point at least address what is going on..

On the Official 2fm Facebook Page and Will Leahy's own page, 99.9% of the comments are extremely negative.

The facebook page calling for Will Leahy to be re-instated has now over 5,500 likes. 5,500 Facebook likes would in my mind represent 10,000 - 15,000 listeners that will abandon the slot and the station.

I think they are making a huge mistake and I am sure Today FM are just rubbing their hands with glee at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On the Official 2fm Facebook Page and Will Leahy's own page, 99.9% of the comments are extremely negative.

The facebook page calling for Will Leahy to be re-instated has now over 5,500 likes. 5,500 Facebook likes would in my mind represent 10,000 - 15,000 listeners that will abandon the slot and the station.

I think they are making a huge mistake and I am sure Today FM are just rubbing their hands with glee at this stage!

Yeah, but in a few days it'll all be forgotten about and the Facebook keyboard warriors will have something else to vent their outrage about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Today fm ? How exactly ? Will Leahy is based in limerick, Today fm are based in Dublin. It wont make a blind bit of difference to Today fm what happens to Will leahy. 2FM have been losing 1000's of listeners every month for years, the current schedule changes will continue this trend, and dont think there will be any consequences for 2fm management becasue there wont.

What id love to know is where is jenny greene in the new schedule? Dan healy last summer couldnt speak highly enough of her, she's easily one of the most credible presenters on radio in the country, was Dan Healy just talking bluster as seems to be his manner ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Can't believe its over :,( good song choice tho...really is an end of an era.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can't believe its over :,( good song choice tho...really is an end of an era.... :(

What was the last song?

This...

Also gareth o Callaghan laid into the 2fm higher arcy on his show a bit earlyier!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Was it ever explained why the show was ending today when his new show doesn't start for a few weeks? Why was it axed with 3 days notice and then have Paddy McKenna filling in while they sort out the new schedule? Could they not have left it how it was until the new schedule started?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Addle wrote: »
    What was the last song?

Drive by The Cars was the last song!

I think this will be a big mistake by 2fm, I'll be back to my iPod for the drive home in the evenins from now on! I used to look forward to a long drive knowing Will would be on!
    Such a shame 2fm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I must commend Will Leahy on a most dignified show and ending this evening. Let's be all aware that he is not leaving by choice and that Colm Hayes moves to this slot in a few weeks not by choice so let time be the judge of this shambolic new schedule. I thought Will's last link was very professional and his song choice was hit the nail on the head "Can't go on, thinking Nothings wrong". Really and truly I just can't see anything changing for the better.

http://youtu.be/DrgSzcctUyY Will's final song. Great choice. Although hes in trouble now for playing a song before the year 2000 I'd imagine ha ha!! top class broadcaster and if hes going too be the lead into Jenny greenes electric disco each sat then 2fm will be on 2 earlyier on a sat evening in my car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

They dont know what they're doing in that station as Fanning & Gogan were already on w/ends before they got shifted to weekdays :o

It was a shock when i saw a twitter link here & press release here

I haven't listened to Will Leahy in a long while, as someone else has Todayfm on in the background, but he wasn't the worst, i'd have moved that big ballbag that is Hayes to w/ends.

Its gonna be called now The Less Music Drive/More Drivel Show :(

Here's what the official 2fm facebook page says

It's a good thing Will has a side job as he was a solicitor before radio,

leahy is still a practicing solicitor, he handles the jucey limerick co. council portifolio, he also works, or did as a dj for live95fm in limerick, no fear of our will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Warningsign

bbability wrote: »
    I must commend Will Leahy on a most dignified show and ending this evening. Let's be all aware that he is not leaving by choice and that Colm Hayes moves to this slot in a few weeks not by choice so let time be the judge of this shambolic new schedule. I thought Will's last link was very professional and his song choice was hit the nail on the head "Can't go on, thinking Nothings wrong". Really and truly I just can't see anything changing for the better.

You changed your tune....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

dpofloinn wrote: »
    So which one of the Donnybrook luvvies will take over?

What's laura woods doing this weather

Advertisement