Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy show axed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

Gutted to say the least,love will the best dj 2fm have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Aw I'm really disappointed about this too. Really enjoyed listening to Will coming home from work. I listen to Matt Cooper a lot too but I would switch back to Will and generally stay with him- I won't be doing that with Colm Hayes, I'm not really a fan. Stupid decision I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Like others, I am very disappointed too. Probably one of the best programmes on 2fm and I liked Will Leahy as a DJ.

I remember him years ago being on Sunday nights at school and that show was good too. Then on the Saturday Show and that was really good at that time. It seemed that effort had gone into the show - I remember Pat the Security Guard, DJ Gary, Family Four Tunes, 21sts ... really was an upbeat show and a good mix of music.

He was well suited then in the evenings for the last few years (is it really 7?). I liked listening going home or in the gym - again good upbeat stuff and a good mix of music. Liked all the bits and pieces - special song, school disco, the Irish song or song theme when they did that just before 7pm.

Lately the music mix had changed alot with the new music policy. The cheesy power ballads and older stuff disappeared which was a shame as I liked it mixed in with the current stuff. I felt like the show lost something then. I remember a few weeks ago John Clarke on the Jukebox saying that he would be always arguing with Will about playing Electric Dreams yet again - is apparently one of his faves - but that had all changed now that the 'music police' had arrived. He gets away with alot of anti-management comments.

He definitely sounded disappointed this evening although he was saying all the right things. If they are going for a younger audience replacing a 40ish (guess) DJ with a mid 50s DJ doesn't seem to make sense.

His new slot 5-7 on Saturday and Sunday seems to be a bit of a graveyard slot for DJs - suppose it will be the end of Michael Cahill and Damien Farrelly (great programme starting out when it was live but then sounded just lazy with when it was pre-recorded). Aidan Leonard had that slot before he moved upstairs. Hopefully Will will make it work though and it will be something to look forward to on weekend evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

dr Golden wrote: »
    Nope, the top 5 shows on 2fm in 2013 were Tubridy, Colm Hayes, Hector, Fanning on Saturday, John Clarke.
    Conor84 wrote: »
    He definitely sounded disappointed this evening although he was saying all the right things. If they are going for a younger audience replacing a 40ish (guess) DJ with a mid 50s DJ doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm not sure what's going on in 2FM (is anyone), but I don't think they were going after the "youth" market with this move: AFAIK, Leahy had the highest under-34 share of any RTE programme, for the last three years, so shunting him to the weekend would hardly fit that strategy. It would seem to me that they identified the morning slot as having the most opportunity for gains, and had to accommodate the well remunerated Colm Hayes in a high-profile slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

shabba man wrote: »
    I seldom read a thread where I agree with every poster, so this is a first. It's bad enouhe's to be replaced, but to be replaced by Colm Hayes is a sure fire slap in the gob. I confess that in former years I quite enjoyed Hayes, but since joining 2FM, he has become a complete pain in the backside. The more Music Drive is the only show on 2FM that sounds anything like a National station show. Seems to be the lesser talented, white haired boy Hayes, has certainly endeared himself with the this wigs in Montrose.

I agree. ..colm was fantastic on the strawberry alarm clock. ..but 2fm has changed him. He was witty and funny...but for me..hes too aggressive. That kind of enthusiasm is great for mornings to get people started. ..but Will was great in the evening because what I was looking for was a nice calm non controversial pleasant journey home with a bit of a giggle thats what Will offered.

Colm Hayes got on with gerry ryan...colm did sone sort of comedy thing line scratch Saturday many moons ago, so he was already on their radar long before he joined 2 fm.

The breakfast show and 2fm are so commercial and so full of competitions and promotions it ruins the flow. I hope the new breakfast show people saw what happened to colm and Jim jim and how the million promotional bits stifled them.

Any how I wish they hadn't changed Will...I hope colm doesn't shake it up too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Really disappointed with this.
    I can't stand Colm Hayes and if you don't want to listen to current affairs, there aren't really any other choices at that time in the evening. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

Has anybody contacted RTE, and whats the best way to contact them ?
    Do they read Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

There are plenty of other choices lollpop. I'm a recent convert to Nova since 2fm started to slide downhill. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of their later afternoon/drive DJ Pat something-or-other, at least he plays good music that makes the drive home more bearable, and he is not a clueless elitist snob like Colm Hayes. I'd expect Nova to show significant listener gains this year as a result of 2fm's jiggery pokery. I cant tune it in the house but I can get it in the car for some reason, 100.3fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    There are plenty of other choices lollpop.

For the non-Dubs the options are:
    RTÉ Radio 1, Newstalk & Today FM - all talk.
    RnaG
    4FM
    Local radio

so you might be lucky, depending on where you live.

I didn't ever really listen to his show (more of a Matt Cooper person), but if I did hear bits it seemed okay, much better than what Colm Hayes will bring to the show. Although time will tell I suppose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dulpit wrote: »
    For the non-Dubs the options are:
    RTÉ Radio 1, Newstalk & Today FM - all talk.
    RnaG
    4FM
    Local radio

Plus an IRR unless you live in Wicklow (although most of the county can receive either Dublin stations, iRadio or Beat anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Rock Solid wrote: »
    The More Music Drive is to be axed, The show has been on air for seven years and Will didnt sound happy today, Ive been listening for several years and like his upbeat style and format, why dont they get rid of Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning ? Colm Hayes show has been crap l
    Thank ****, couldnt stand his ****e talk about "friends" ross , rachel etc move on will

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

dr Golden wrote: »
    People complain when 2fm don't make changes and people complain when they do ! People have been crying out for change at that station for years and now that its finally happening people moan about it

That's because people want to see real change. Shifting the current presenters around so that the same shows are on at different times on different days is not REAL change. And putting Hayes on every weekday and shifting Will to weekends is utterly stupid.
    They don't have the guts to make real change and get some new blood in there. They are a pathetic excuse for a radio station! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

wouldnt be gone on leahy now, find him to be condescending to callers but as for hayes..jebus what a knob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

Delighted with this move. The biggest con of a radio presenter Ive heard in years. How he got away with it for so long is anyones guess!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Are RTE and Dan Healy so blind and stubborn that they can't see the loyal listeners uproar? 
    Colm clearly doesn't want to move, Will clearly doesn't want to move and 99% of their listeners don't want them to move.
    Look Nicky Byrne got a great reaction on celebrity Sunday but Sunday listeners are a completely different demographic to daily morning listeners.
    If Dan Healy is so adamant to get Nicky on the air then give him the 5-7 graveyard shift that you're after lumbering the super talanted and hugely popular Will Leahy with.
    Listen to your public for once, after all they have been listening to you for years.
    [snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

So anyone who disagrees with you opion is a troll. Very democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I have to say I'm soooo disappointed with Will's move !! I've listening to 2FM for years and always in the morning and evenings and any time I can in between but I think I'll be on the hunt for a new station now.

I could take or leave Hector but he was the best of a bad bunch in the mornings - Were his Listener numbers in the last quarter of 2013 .... Maybe Dan Healy Jumped the gun a bit on that one !!!

As for Will, I was sure they'd leave him where he was because I believe he highest U35 ratings - the demographic they're after !! But no !!! WTF !!! And replacing him with that condescending Muppet Hayes !!! Disgusted !!

The 2 FM morning seems a bit all over the place ... Maguire and O'Shay (God Help us) first for the young wans, Tubs for the housewifes and then Nicky Byrne and I believe Lotty Ryan (again , God Help us !!!) presumably for the young wans too ... seems a little disjointed. I'm not Tubs biggest fan but I think he's alright ... I preferred him on the Full Irish a few years ago ... Maybe they should have shifted Tubs back to 7-9, slotted Nicky in at 9-11 and left Colm Hayes where he was.

Any word on Damien Farrelly ?? Is he gone ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I have sometimes spent longer in my car than I needed to just to stay tuned to the show.
    I'll miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It used to be that 2FM set the trends for formats and talent, now they try to follow everyone else so much that you'd wonder if they're even relevant anymore. They genuinely never got over losing Gerry Ryan. 4 years on almost and it still feels like they have an interim schedule in place.

Game On is such a p1ss poor imitation of OTB that they should just bin it and go back to playing chart and requests after drivetime, regardless of whether or not teenagers listen to the radio anymore.

Will Leahy should go somewhere he's appreciated, one of the big regional stations would worship him and at least they have an audience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Listen to this show every evening on my commute home and have thouroughly enjoyed it. Not impressed to see the new changes at all.
    Used to listen to Hector in the morning (I know not everyone's choice) and Will in the evening and now both are being moved or gone. Looks like 2fm have just lost another listener!!! Don't see how the new line up will appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Am a huge fan of Rick O'Shea and I'd stay tuned into Will for the afternoon. Can't stand Colm, find him too preachy and serious. Don't think he's suited to the drivetime slot, I won't be rushing to tune in anyway. Don't like the way they're focusing purely on Dublin listeners (or seem to be).

Really sorry for Will :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Am a huge fan of Rick O'Shea and I'd stay tuned into Will for the afternoon. Can't stand Colm, find him too preachy and serious. Don't think he's suited to the drivetime slot, I won't be rushing to tune in anyway. Don't like the way they're focusing purely on Dublin listeners (or seem to be).

Really sorry for Will :(

As a Dublin listener I'm equally unimpressed, sorry but the shows do not need to be based in Dublin to work, how does location matter to a radio show? Will is brilliant and obviously much loved by his fans judging by this response!! I hope he's seeing all of this outrage. His was the last 2fm show I still tuned in to, I'll be switching off after tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

I wonder will the new show continue with the "Special song"...I have an email sent in since early last year for May this year.Ill be really disappointed if they axed this.It'llleave a lot of people upset.
    It's the sentiment that's attached to a lot of these letters that matter so would be very disappointing...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoin 19

I am absolutely disgusted, enraged and disappointed over the decision to demote Will Leahy from his weekday show. I don't even know where to begin..

I am just sickened to the pit of my stomach that Colm Hayes is taking over. I had a feeling they were going to pull the plug on Will's show - but the fact he is being replaced by that yoke is just baffling!! Will swapping slots with Ruth & Paddy would have been fine but Colm Hayes just turns my stomach!!

Will had 110,000 Daily Listners and his rival on Today FM Matt Cooper had 160,000. They were two very different shows (one music driven, the other talk driven). Will's show was the most popular on 2fm among Under 35's (only to be pipped to the post by Hector last week when he gained 12,000 new listeners (YET, HE WAS ALSO GIVEN THE BOOT!!!!)

If Dan Healy (whom I had high hopes for) thinks that replacing Will Leahy with... Colm Hayes... is going to drive the ratings up in that time slot well he is in for some shock.

The notion of 2fm trying to appeal to the audiences already hogged by FM104, Spin, 98fm is so laughable! Those 'Dublin Listeners' that Dan Healy is craving are not going next to near 2fm anytime soon - they abandoned the station years and years ago. However, the incredibly loyal listeners from all over the country (including some in Dublin too!) who were devoted to shows on 2fm like Hector, Larry Gogan and Will Leahy, are going to flee the station in their droves. I am an 19 year old who lives in Meath. I have listened to 2fm religiously - only tuning into other stations for bits of news and music I liked. I loved Hector and Larry Gogan but Will Leahy's show was unmissable. I have listened from day 1 when I was in 6th Class in Primary School. Will Leahy's show has been there in the background after school for 6 years - now it's been taken off the air for no reason!!!

In a years time when Dan Healy sits down to assess the damage he has done to 2fm, I can predict almost perfectly what the scenario will be..

-- Bernard, Jennifer and Keith drop from the 136,000 listeners to around 110,000 after not picking up any new listeners from 'Dublin' and having lost a huge amount of people who loved Hector's show.

-- Tubridy still flat around the 140,000/ 150,000 mark. He is such an insufferable snob and his attempts to talk to 'ordinary people' about 'ordinary issues' are pathetic and cringeworthy.

-- Nicky Bryne. His 3 HOUR slot with that bimbo Lottie Ryan will be a gigantic FLOP. He has no presence. His voice is like a drill in one's head and he is completely unsuited to the type of show they are trying to create. He will lose listeners and pick up no new ones.

-- Colm Hayes. I just despise this man. His 'Man Utd' 'Up The Dubs' style is vile. He will drop to under 100,000. Between him coughing and spluttering from having been smoking all day and his endless drivel, he has no hope of matching Will.

I give the "new2fm" 18 Months. Then Dan Healy will resign/ be sacked and back to the drawing board AGAIN!

I really don't get the logic behind this awful decision. How does moving all of the shows from regional centres like Galway and Limerick back to Donnybrook make 2fm any more appealing to Dublin listeners??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoin 19

Will Leahy won't be long about leaving 2fm. He will be snapped up by the likes of Today FM or a big regional station. He is so warm, cheerful, pleasant on the radio and is somebody people can relate to. He comes across as very intelligent and well informed on issues so could slot in very well to a talk show.

Insulting the man by handing him the graveyard shift of 5-7 on a Saturday and Sunday and nobody is tuning into the radio is just appalling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eoin 19 wrote: »
    Will Leahy won't be long about leaving 2fm. He will be snapped up by the likes of Today FM or a big regional station. He is so warm, cheerful, pleasant on the radio and is somebody people can relate to. He comes across as very intelligent and well informed on issues so could slot in very well to a talk show.

Insulting the man by handing him the graveyard shift of 5-7 on a Saturday and Sunday and nobody is tuning into the radio is just appalling.

Will Leahy has a weekday job which he has zero intent of leaving. As mentioned on the other thread, he needs to work from a studio in Limerick - something only RTE, Spin SW and Live95 definitely have access to. Communicorp or UTV may be able to use their group facilities there, but not guaranteed.

http://www.leahyandpartners.com/profile.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

never knew that...fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

MYOB wrote: »
    Will Leahy has a weekday job which he has zero intent of leaving. As mentioned on the other thread, he needs to work from a studio in Limerick - something only RTE, Spin SW and Live95 definitely have access to. Communicorp or UTV may be able to use their group facilities there, but not guaranteed.

http://www.leahyandpartners.com/profile.html

Anyone else think your man Alec Gabbett from the link above is the head off Jason Alexander from Seinfeld :D

alecgabbett.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT20OywPwPX_m-cFMuGNKlj7NmORjdnU_pOM6dlYN9rXshJedN6dw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is John Clarke the producer of the Will Leahy show..If so, will he producing Colm Hayes show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Is John Clarke the producer of the Will Leahy show..If so, will he producing Colm Hayes show?

I believe its John's daughter Lindy.

Let be honest here and get to the root of the issue. The new boss has made changes which will be welcomed like a lead balloon. The fact is national radio is changing and turing into a place of how many twitter followers you have rather than promote the guys and girls from the indies.
    It's not "who you know" these days it's "who you are". It's only the start of the changing culture. The young ones nowadays on Spin and IRadio will need more than the college cert and experience on air, looks like they'll need dancing lessons, boy band experience and other means and ways of pimping their public image.

Advertisement