Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Carwin said he'd come back for a lesnar rematch. Would be a good test to see how the 2 would do on their return. Would have loved to have seen carwin improve his cardio and go for a title run, serious power in those hands.

I imagine that would be a horrible fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Cain out of UFC 180. Hunt and Werdum to fight for Interim title.

That's got to suck for the Mexicans.

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/524719831216844800

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its about time they decided to bring in interim titles again, its a joke at this stage how much champs are getting injured.

ASOT wrote: »
    Its about time they decided to bring in interim titles again, its a joke at this stage how much champs are getting injured.

They never stopped using interim titles. Barao was an interim champ for most of his reign.
    Cain's been out of action a year, or mls enough. Bringing in an interim title before 12 months would have been stupid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ASOT wrote: »

No arguments there title hasn't been defended in over a year what a blow not to have the Mexican star on the card.

Always intriging mainly but weakest division witbout doubt since Cain last fought others have fought 2-3 times. 2 wins would get ya a title shot. Stipe stands out but Dos Santos if he beats him what? Hell at this rate Arlovski will be in contention :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No arguments there title hasn't been defended in over a year what a blow not to have the Mexican star on the card.

Always intriging mainly but weakest division witbout doubt since Cain last fought others have fought 2-3 times. 2 wins would get ya a title shot. Stipe stands out but Dos Santos if he beats him what? Hell at this rate Arlovski will be in contention :)

on his day AA is a match for anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

on his day AA is a match for anybody

Without a shadow of a doubt hasn't been finished in quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I hope Hunt wins it would be a "Rocky" story for MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

This might be a little contentious but Cain is not really Mexican, his Dad is and his Mother was also born in the US. He was born and raised in America.

Spanish is not his first language, he can speak it but not very fluently and his accent is not that of a native Mexican speaker. Werdum actually speaks Spanish better than he does having lived in Spain for many years.

Its a bit like Irish Americans for us or second generation Irish born in the UK. Its great when they do well and we try and claim them a bit , but the country never really gets behind them until a native does well like Conor McGregor here in Ireland. I dont think MMA will really take off in Mexico until there is a successful native Mexican, such a in their boxing history. Its a loss certainly for the card loosing the champ. But he is more of a draw for Mexican Americans than Mexicans if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This might be a little contentious but Cain is not really Mexican, his parents are. He was born and raised in America.
    What an outrageous statement.
    Can the same be said for any Irish people who's Irish parents moved to the UK and were born over there? Are you insinuating that they aren't really Irish and are in fact... British?
    It's nothing like Irish Americans. Irish Americans are a mixture of both Irish and American blood.
    His situation is more like the Irish IN America. They are still Irish at the end of the day.

Yup, it turns out he is infact a mixture of Mexican and American blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

World be crazy if hunt won and very possible too. Will definetly be rootin for him. Champs getting injured is so boring at this stage.

What an outrageous statement.
    Can the same be said for any Irish people who's Irish parents moved to the UK and were born over there? Are you insinuating that they aren't really Irish and are in fact... British?
    It's nothing like Irish Americans. Irish Americans are a mixture of both Irish and American blood.
    His situation is more like the Irish IN America. They are still Irish at the end of the day.

I myself am half Mexican. So I have a fair idea of Mexican culture. Mexican Americans are seen as diaspora much like the Irish in other parts of the world. Someone brought up in another country would generally have more in common with the culture they where raised in than the native country of their parent in most cases.

In the case of Cain, language is big issue. Much like Irish find it hard to accept other second or third generation Irish with English, Australian or American accents. Mexicans would see someone not being able to speak like they do as a gringo or not really one of us.

Cain does not speak Spanish like a native speaker and sounds a pretty much like an American speaking Spanish. Mexicans would not see this person as one of their own, but rather someone who has a Mexican back ground or heritage. Cain was born and raised in the US with an English speaking mother, he would have more in common with the average American kid than the average Mexican.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I myself am half Mexican. So I have a fair idea of Mexican culture. Mexican Americans are seen as diaspora much like the Irish in other parts of the world. Someone brought up in another country would generally have more in common with the culture they where raised in than the native country of their parent in most cases.

In the case of Cain, language is big issue. Much like Irish find it hard to accept other second or third generation Irish with English, Australian or American accents. Mexicans would see someone not being able to speak like they do as a gringo or not really one of us.

Cain does not speak Spanish like a native speaker and sounds a pretty much like an American speaking Spanish. Mexicans would not see this person as one of their own, but rather someone who has a Mexican back ground or heritage. Cain was born and raised in the US with an English speaking mother, he would have more in common with the average American kid than the average Mexican.

My bad. For a second there I though he was 100% Mexican. Turns out his mother is American. Mental note.... research before pulling the trigger on a reply. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Very high possibility of Hunt having a belt now. His takedown defense has looked great in recent matches and he wins the standup battle in this.

Also, I see Walt Harris is back after just one win outside the UFC. Weird.

Werdum's stand up has looked good in the past few years. I think Hunts main chance here is catching him with a bomb.

Otherwise I see Werdum being able to vary it up and land more strikes. I would also give the cardio advantage to Werdum.

Basically I see Werdum winning provided he doesn't get knocked out :)

Mellor wrote: »
    They never stopped using interim titles. Barao was an interim champ for most of his reign.
    Cain's been out of action a year, or mls enough. Bringing in an interim title before 12 months would have been stupid imo.

Dana had said he didnt want to use them anymore thats more or less the point i was making. There hasnt been a lightweight title fight since August 2013, so id imagine if Pettis gets injured again the same thing will happen there.

Basically I see Werdum winning provided he doesn't get knocked out :)

I see Hunt winning provided he doesn't fail to knock Werdum out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

As much as I'd like Hunt to win Werdum's striking is some of the most underestimated in the UFC. He completely lit up Browne in the last fight and had good success striking with Overeem when he wasn't lying on the ground begging Reem to leap into his guard.

I'd expect Werdum run to cruise to a decision unless Hunt puts him out early, or Werdum pulls out the sub. Otherwise I'd expect Hunt to tire while his opponent stick and moves to the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Raging Cain is injured.

He's only fought 5 times since he beat Brock almost 4 years ago.
    That's just nowhere near active enough.

UFC really running low on big draws at the moment, no wonder Dana is bumming Conor so hard. He's fast becoming the biggest draw in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

"Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum is the ninth scheduled UFC pay-per-view headliner of 2014 to fall apart. Brutal year for injuries."

Disastrous!

I imagine it would be similar to if McGregor had pulled out of the Dublin card. Almost unthinkable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen the UFC has been downgraded in the USA financials

2012 was another terrible year for injuries if I recall correctly. It was shortly after the medical insurance came in.

Question, are fighters less inclined to fight now because of their insurance? Ie fighters would have been more inclined to fight back in the day while injured due to financial reasons?

Also, this is one for my conspiracy theory hat . Very regularly you see someone be crowned champ only to go injured on a long layoff, off the top of my head; Hendricks, Pettis & Cain (twice) in recent memory... do fighters take some time off once they are champ because there is relatively easy money to be made? Endorsements, talk shows, paid appearances etc. Keep that gravy train rolling and don't fight too much. Or am I talking crazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Maybe just challengers are more eager to fight through injuries and take more fights so they impress and become champ. Also i think there is much more wrote about a champ who is out injured than the number 5 guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

how about a new division between 'light heavyweight' and 'heavyweight'? is that even a possibility?

how about a new division between 'light heavyweight' and 'heavyweight'? is that even a possibility?

It could have made sense a few years ago but there's not enough talent between the two as it is imo.

I'd love to see everyone fighting at their natural weight for a multitude of reasons but it's not likely to happen anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Joe Lauzon out of UFC 180 bout with Diego Sanchez.

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkieSteven/status/525038155473244161

Maybe Conner will step in?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mental first Norman now joe. With cain gone as well UFC might well give Conor the fight just to not lose money. Will be muddy as good as a talked 10 or so FW.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

If they want to save this card they might just have to throw Conor in there!

weemcd wrote: »
    2012 was another terrible year for injuries if I recall correctly. It was shortly after the medical insurance came in.

Question, are fighters less inclined to fight now because of their insurance? Ie fighters would have been more inclined to fight back in the day while injured due to financial reasons?

Also, this is one for my conspiracy theory hat . Very regularly you see someone be crowned champ only to go injured on a long layoff, off the top of my head; Hendricks, Pettis & Cain (twice) in recent memory... do fighters take some time off once they are champ because there is relatively easy money to be made? Endorsements, talk shows, paid appearances etc. Keep that gravy train rolling and don't fight too much. Or am I talking crazy?

I wouldnt call it a conspiracy theory as such because I believe people are doing it aswell and id say a number of people think the same. You hit the nail on the head the money to be made from being champ regardless of fights would be enough financial incentive to maybe not fake an injury but prolong one. Its not beyond the realms of possibility by any stretch!

This Sanchez fight seems to be cursed, I was pumped for the Parke fight, Still excited by the JL fight now its the waiting game to see what happens, wouldnt be surprised atall to see Conor in there especially since the main event has been ****ed up!

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    He's only fought 5 times since he beat Brock almost 4 years ago.
    That's just nowhere near active enough.
    He’s had an awful run alright. Almost as bad as Cruz, but I don’t see what he could do about it tbh.
    weemcd wrote: »
    The insurance covers medical stuff, but it the fighters don’t get “sick pay” afaik. So financially, it’s a pretty bad spot to be in for all but the top guys.
    I doubt it’s much of a gravy train, compared to fighting tbh. Sponsors want their fighters on the screen, not on the MMA hour. I’ve no idea what appearances would pay in general, but it can’t be big bucks especially after an extended layoff.

IMO, it’s because you can’t stop until you get to the top. But once you are there, you have a chance to recover from cumulative damage.
    Take McGregor as an example, say the ligament injury in his hand is still there, its functional but he needs surgery to be 100%.
    He’s be insane to take the surgery and layoff now. Cub, Frankie, Lamas, Bermudez would bury him in the rankings. Instead he keeps his momentum going and keeps chasing the belt. If/When he gets the title, he has a chance for surgery/rest/recover.

The other reason of course, is that title fights are usually the toughest contested matches. A lot of these injurys happen in those fights, even wins – Hendricks, Cain, Pettis were all injured during their last wins. I would also imagine that champs and contenders are pushing themselves harder during training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement