Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

World be crazy if hunt won and very possible too. Will definetly be rootin for him. Champs getting injured is so boring at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What an outrageous statement.
    Can the same be said for any Irish people who's Irish parents moved to the UK and were born over there? Are you insinuating that they aren't really Irish and are in fact... British?
    It's nothing like Irish Americans. Irish Americans are a mixture of both Irish and American blood.
    His situation is more like the Irish IN America. They are still Irish at the end of the day.

I myself am half Mexican. So I have a fair idea of Mexican culture. Mexican Americans are seen as diaspora much like the Irish in other parts of the world. Someone brought up in another country would generally have more in common with the culture they where raised in than the native country of their parent in most cases.

In the case of Cain, language is big issue. Much like Irish find it hard to accept other second or third generation Irish with English, Australian or American accents. Mexicans would see someone not being able to speak like they do as a gringo or not really one of us.

Cain does not speak Spanish like a native speaker and sounds a pretty much like an American speaking Spanish. Mexicans would not see this person as one of their own, but rather someone who has a Mexican back ground or heritage. Cain was born and raised in the US with an English speaking mother, he would have more in common with the average American kid than the average Mexican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I myself am half Mexican. So I have a fair idea of Mexican culture. Mexican Americans are seen as diaspora much like the Irish in other parts of the world. Someone brought up in another country would generally have more in common with the culture they where raised in than the native country of their parent in most cases.

In the case of Cain, language is big issue. Much like Irish find it hard to accept other second or third generation Irish with English, Australian or American accents. Mexicans would see someone not being able to speak like they do as a gringo or not really one of us.

Cain does not speak Spanish like a native speaker and sounds a pretty much like an American speaking Spanish. Mexicans would not see this person as one of their own, but rather someone who has a Mexican back ground or heritage. Cain was born and raised in the US with an English speaking mother, he would have more in common with the average American kid than the average Mexican.

My bad. For a second there I though he was 100% Mexican. Turns out his mother is American. Mental note.... research before pulling the trigger on a reply. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Very high possibility of Hunt having a belt now. His takedown defense has looked great in recent matches and he wins the standup battle in this.

Also, I see Walt Harris is back after just one win outside the UFC. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Werdum's stand up has looked good in the past few years. I think Hunts main chance here is catching him with a bomb.

Otherwise I see Werdum being able to vary it up and land more strikes. I would also give the cardio advantage to Werdum.

Basically I see Werdum winning provided he doesn't get knocked out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    They never stopped using interim titles. Barao was an interim champ for most of his reign.
    Cain's been out of action a year, or mls enough. Bringing in an interim title before 12 months would have been stupid imo.

Dana had said he didnt want to use them anymore thats more or less the point i was making. There hasnt been a lightweight title fight since August 2013, so id imagine if Pettis gets injured again the same thing will happen there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Basically I see Werdum winning provided he doesn't get knocked out :)

I see Hunt winning provided he doesn't fail to knock Werdum out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

As much as I'd like Hunt to win Werdum's striking is some of the most underestimated in the UFC. He completely lit up Browne in the last fight and had good success striking with Overeem when he wasn't lying on the ground begging Reem to leap into his guard.

I'd expect Werdum run to cruise to a decision unless Hunt puts him out early, or Werdum pulls out the sub. Otherwise I'd expect Hunt to tire while his opponent stick and moves to the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Raging Cain is injured.

He's only fought 5 times since he beat Brock almost 4 years ago.
    That's just nowhere near active enough.

UFC really running low on big draws at the moment, no wonder Dana is bumming Conor so hard. He's fast becoming the biggest draw in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

"Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum is the ninth scheduled UFC pay-per-view headliner of 2014 to fall apart. Brutal year for injuries."

Disastrous!

I imagine it would be similar to if McGregor had pulled out of the Dublin card. Almost unthinkable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen the UFC has been downgraded in the USA financials

2012 was another terrible year for injuries if I recall correctly. It was shortly after the medical insurance came in.

Question, are fighters less inclined to fight now because of their insurance? Ie fighters would have been more inclined to fight back in the day while injured due to financial reasons?

Also, this is one for my conspiracy theory hat . Very regularly you see someone be crowned champ only to go injured on a long layoff, off the top of my head; Hendricks, Pettis & Cain (twice) in recent memory... do fighters take some time off once they are champ because there is relatively easy money to be made? Endorsements, talk shows, paid appearances etc. Keep that gravy train rolling and don't fight too much. Or am I talking crazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Maybe just challengers are more eager to fight through injuries and take more fights so they impress and become champ. Also i think there is much more wrote about a champ who is out injured than the number 5 guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

how about a new division between 'light heavyweight' and 'heavyweight'? is that even a possibility?

how about a new division between 'light heavyweight' and 'heavyweight'? is that even a possibility?

It could have made sense a few years ago but there's not enough talent between the two as it is imo.

I'd love to see everyone fighting at their natural weight for a multitude of reasons but it's not likely to happen anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Joe Lauzon out of UFC 180 bout with Diego Sanchez.

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkieSteven/status/525038155473244161

Maybe Conner will step in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mental first Norman now joe. With cain gone as well UFC might well give Conor the fight just to not lose money. Will be muddy as good as a talked 10 or so FW.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

If they want to save this card they might just have to throw Conor in there!

weemcd wrote: »
    2012 was another terrible year for injuries if I recall correctly. It was shortly after the medical insurance came in.

Question, are fighters less inclined to fight now because of their insurance? Ie fighters would have been more inclined to fight back in the day while injured due to financial reasons?

Also, this is one for my conspiracy theory hat . Very regularly you see someone be crowned champ only to go injured on a long layoff, off the top of my head; Hendricks, Pettis & Cain (twice) in recent memory... do fighters take some time off once they are champ because there is relatively easy money to be made? Endorsements, talk shows, paid appearances etc. Keep that gravy train rolling and don't fight too much. Or am I talking crazy?

I wouldnt call it a conspiracy theory as such because I believe people are doing it aswell and id say a number of people think the same. You hit the nail on the head the money to be made from being champ regardless of fights would be enough financial incentive to maybe not fake an injury but prolong one. Its not beyond the realms of possibility by any stretch!

This Sanchez fight seems to be cursed, I was pumped for the Parke fight, Still excited by the JL fight now its the waiting game to see what happens, wouldnt be surprised atall to see Conor in there especially since the main event has been ****ed up!

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    He's only fought 5 times since he beat Brock almost 4 years ago.
    That's just nowhere near active enough.
    He’s had an awful run alright. Almost as bad as Cruz, but I don’t see what he could do about it tbh.
    The insurance covers medical stuff, but it the fighters don’t get “sick pay” afaik. So financially, it’s a pretty bad spot to be in for all but the top guys.
    I doubt it’s much of a gravy train, compared to fighting tbh. Sponsors want their fighters on the screen, not on the MMA hour. I’ve no idea what appearances would pay in general, but it can’t be big bucks especially after an extended layoff.

IMO, it’s because you can’t stop until you get to the top. But once you are there, you have a chance to recover from cumulative damage.
    Take McGregor as an example, say the ligament injury in his hand is still there, its functional but he needs surgery to be 100%.
    He’s be insane to take the surgery and layoff now. Cub, Frankie, Lamas, Bermudez would bury him in the rankings. Instead he keeps his momentum going and keeps chasing the belt. If/When he gets the title, he has a chance for surgery/rest/recover.

The other reason of course, is that title fights are usually the toughest contested matches. A lot of these injurys happen in those fights, even wins – Hendricks, Cain, Pettis were all injured during their last wins. I would also imagine that champs and contenders are pushing themselves harder during training.

Sanchez is now Injured and out of UFC180 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

ASOT wrote: »
    Sanchez is now Injured and out of UFC180 :pac:

That card is cursed.

That card is cursed.

Yep beyond cursed, feel bad for the mexicans. Push Conor v Siver to that card = profit! Conors still in shape not sure about Siver but it would be possible id say. Actually scratch that i didnt realise how close it was haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Some of the notable things that have happened since Cain's last fight...
    1. - Anderson Silva has broken his leg clean in half against Weidman, undergone multiple surgeries, rehabilitated his leg, returned to training and signed to fight in January.
    2. - Eddie Alvarez has ended his legal fued with Bellator, beaten Michael Chandler for the promotion’s title, finally secured his release from company, and signed with the UFC where he already lost his debut to Donald Cerrone
    3. - Donald Cerrone has fought and won five times.
    4. - Walt Harris has made his UFC debut, fought and lost twice, got released, won a fight in another promotion, and now, has been re-signed by the UFC to fight in two weeks.
    5. - Renan Barao has defended his title, lost it to Dillashaw, pulled out of the rematch because of a bad weight cut and signed to fight in December.
    6. - Mark Hunt has given us arguably the greatest heavyweight fight of all time (against BigFoot), recovered from two broken bones in his hand, KO’d Roy Nelson and signed to fight for an interim title in three weeks (For Cain).
    7. - Daniel Cormier has fought and won three times, dropped a division, earned a title shot, been fined for a brawl with Jon Jones and secured a permanent presenting gig with FOX.
    8. - The TUF 18 season has concluded, and crowned a champion, the TUF 19 season has concluded and crowned a champ, and the TUF 20 season is midway through its airing.
    9. - Longtime UFC Legend BJ Penn made his debut at featherweight, lost, and retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

10 - Irishman Conor mcgregor has taken the featherweight division by storm

• Advertisement

Aldo looks like a skeleton when he cuts, his face looks so hollow. Can't be good for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Aldo looks like a skeleton when he cuts, his face looks so hollow. Can't be good for him

Yep. Same with Conor, cutting these insane amounts of weight is terrible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

When is 179 starting? Is it @ 12am? When is the aldo fight on?

When is 179 starting? Is it @ 12am? When is the aldo fight on?

Prelims start on BT at 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ASOT wrote: »

Jeez when I seen that first i thought it was an mma equivalent of waterford whisper news

15 Fights at 40?

he had 18 in his career so far in the UFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

dave1982 wrote: »
    15 Fights at 40?

he had 18 in his career so far in the UFC

Wont fight another 7 id say so just to keep him sweet. Also no foal no fee im sure so why not.

I seen someone mention on another forum about this deal and Anderson's up coming Adidas deal.Must Adidas pay UFC a huge commission to allow Anderson wear their brand inside the Octagon.I remember a few years about sponsors treating to pull out because of the high price they have to pay UFC to allow fighters wear a brand inside the Octagon.

So maybe UFC will make alot of money out of this deal

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

UFC UK: Ireland's Neil Seery is out of #UFCSydney, Louis Smolka now steps in to face Richie Vaculik on Nov 8

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dave1982 wrote: »
    :D

:eek:

:confused:

Smiley face rolleyes

:o

:(:(:(

Triple dose for me. Ugh. Gutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

On a positive note I wonder could he potentially end up on the Boston card in January. Wishful thinking probably.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement