Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's draining looking at this scheme for the simple reason that the design of the road is dreadful. It annoys me they put so much effort in to the bridge and yet the rest of the road is substandard dross.

3 at grade roundabouts on the mainline and just one compact GSJ.

It's a continuation of the ridiculous from the Waterford bypass which is another mess (for some reason you have to use two roundabouts to join the road from the end of the M9!)

http://www.n25newross.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/scheme-overview.jpg

I wish they would just build them properly instead of the messing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

3 at grade roundabouts on the mainline and just one compact GSJ ... I wish they would just build them properly instead of the messing around.
    We know that it all comes down to money in the end - it's cheaper to do it this way. However, while from a cost point of view I can forgive the roundabouts on either end, the one that's unforgiveable for me is the one in the middle - the Ballymacar Roundabout. A roundabout in the middle - WTF?

There are precedents for this around the country, of course - Dromod-Rooskey (N4) has a roundabout in the middle, and the Tralee bypass (N69) has roundabouts all over the shop, but there are also plenty examples of where it was done right too: the Tuam bypass (N17) - roundabouts at either end, but at least a compact GSJ in the middle, and Claremorris (N17) which is a single-lane bypass featuring a compact GSJ.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If a dual carriageway exists both sides of a junction, it should be grade separated. Why put in a roundabout?

If a dual carriageway exists both sides of a junction, it should be grade separated. Why put in a roundabout?
    Tis chaper, boss. And thats' the point of:
    It annoys me they put so much effort money in to the bridge and yet the rest of the road is substandard dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

It's draining looking at this scheme for the simple reason that the design of the road is dreadful. It annoys me they put so much effort in to the bridge and yet the rest of the road is substandard dross.

3 at grade roundabouts on the mainline and just one compact GSJ.

It's a continuation of the ridiculous from the Waterford bypass which is another mess (for some reason you have to use two roundabouts to join the road from the end of the M9!)

http://www.n25newross.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/scheme-overview.jpg

I wish they would just build them properly instead of the messing around.
    Roundabout at the end of HQDC is a good safety feature. It requires drivers to slow down and and not to carry "motorway like" speed into roads which are not suitable for that.
    What is stupid are roundabouts in the middle of dual carriageways like the one at the end of M17 before Tuam bypass starts. This junction should be grade separated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It seems to me that the primary reason for the N25 roundabouts is that the N25 turns 90 degrees at both. The Waterford side roundabout should be grade separated as part of Waterford-Glenmore.

It's the N30 roundabout I have an issue with as it makes no sense given the road is going to be realigned there

Same as the roundabout at the northern end of the Castleisland bypass. Needless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

marno21 wrote: »
    It seems to me that the primary reason for the N25 roundabouts is that the N25 turns 90 degrees at both. The Waterford side roundabout should be grade separated as part of Waterford-Glenmore.

It's the N30 roundabout I have an issue with as it makes no sense given the road is going to be realigned there

Same as the roundabout at the northern end of the Castleisland bypass. Needless

The N25 Glenmore roundabout and the one at New Ross both have direct slips for westbound traffic. The N25 cross section changes from dual to single at these too.

The N30 also changes from dual to single carriageway at that roundabout so makes sense to have it rather than dropping a lane which causes it's own problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

44114588842_4e2097489d_b.jpg

Seen this photo on FB - Its Ballymacar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The new Ross bypass 20/08/18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

m17 wrote: »
    The new Ross bypass 20/08/18

Is than video by our own Ian C ie Ian Carruthers from the weather forum I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It's a local photographer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Took these up near Kennedy Homestead, shot on the phone so apologies on quality.

https://imgur.com/a/Dowu7bU

Seems to be the best place for getting a clear view of the bridge construction without a drone.

Also the traffic flow management at the Glenmore roundabout is being changed this Saturday.

Dowu7bU

skodacb wrote: »
    Took these up near Kennedy Homestead, shot on the phone so apologies on quality.

https://imgur.com/a/Dowu7bU

Seems to be the best place for getting a clear view of the bridge construction without a drone.

Also the traffic flow management at the Glenmore roundabout is being changed this Saturday.

Dowu7bU

There's no need to apologise any pics are better than nothing

The barrow crossing 03/09/18

The barrow crossing 03/09/18 pics by bam ireland
    IMAG14600_zpskvjt9xlv.jpg

IMAG14601_zpsbcfh1pds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Another excellent drone video...
    Filmed 09/09/18

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Hmm. "Ahead of schedule" and "completed by June 2019" are two contradicting phrases for this project.
    I thought it was due to open early Spring 2019.

The barrow crossing 11/09/18
    IMAG14606_zpseesstpuq.jpg

VR6 wrote: »
    Hmm. "Ahead of schedule" and "completed by June 2019" are two contradicting phrases for this project.
    I thought it was due to open early Spring 2019.

NO Way will that bridge be finished by spring 2019, heading into windy/wet season will slow things down I’d imagine.

Surprised at the pace of it tbh, such a great 6 months of weather and no major movement. I know it’s a big bridge and a lot of work has been done either side but just can’t see it completed by spring 2019

• Advertisement

Agree completely. My comment was prompted by the article in the Munster Express highlighted by M17 in a post that appeared briefly yesterday and then disappeared (??)
    "Work on the €230 million N25 New Ross Bypass is ahead of schedule, with the new road and bridge due to be fully open by June of next year."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just semantics, but work being ahead of schedule doesn't always mean delivery ahead of schedule.
    Work can be completed ahead of schedule without following phases being brought forward.
    It really just means "no delays so far".

True, but doesn't change the fact that the completion date has been put back from Q1 2019 to June 2019....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Fair call.

VR6 wrote: »
    Agree completely. My comment was prompted by the article in the Munster Express highlighted by M17 in a post that appeared briefly yesterday and then disappeared (??)
    "Work on the €230 million N25 New Ross Bypass is ahead of schedule, with the new road and bridge due to be fully open by June of next year."

I'm all about the pics and not newspaper waffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Huge bridges take time, not like building a 'regular' motorway with a few river crossings like we're used to. A delay is reasonable in this instance.

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 13/09/18
    IMAG14609_zpsnombrda4.jpg

Great picture m17

The barrow crossing August 18 pics form the N25 newross website

IMAG0046_zpsnj41sijx.jpg

IMAG002_zps5catsmxm.jpg

IMAG0034_zpsfyyjg5yc.jpg

IMAG0030_zpskd6lqrf7.jpg

IMAG0029_zps22nif84u.jpg

IMAG0036_zpsdjb9pzzm.jpg

Bridge construction to the end of August 2018
    IMAG0040_zpsyw7bie61.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

m17 wrote: »
    Bridge construction to the end of August 2018

Essentially no visible progress compared to a month earlier

IMAG14301_zpsl7xedq7e.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 delaido

Heard from a reliable source that there is some problem with the bridge which will lead to serious delay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I heard something about a concrete problem last weekend too. Only heard it from a local though, not a reliable source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

I had hoped to get over earlier but the evenings are getting short.

540kBzW.jpg

8dzzFry.jpg

XshT976.jpg

WwHk2KK.jpg

Class pics josip brilliant work

delaido wrote: »
    Heard from a reliable source that there is some problem with the bridge which will lead to serious delay
    There are rumours like this about nearly every bridge that's ever built - and they are almost always untrue.

The barrow crossing
    IMAG100-1_zps7o3ofefx.jpg

Construction September 2018
    IMAG200_zpsdrq4wjgg.png

The barrow crossing 01/10/18

New name for the barrow crossing
    IMAG0030_zpskd6lqrf7.jpg
    The rose Fitzgerald Kennedy bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dear God, no will call it that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Dear God, no will call it that.

Exactly...I'll stick with the Barrow bridge thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Kennedy Bridge sounds grand

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

delaido wrote: »

There were issues approx a year ago with the concrete but haven't heard of anything new.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Kennedy Bridge sounds grand
    Yeah, I don't get this (new?) idea of putting the whole name on structures e.g. the James Joyce, Samuel Beckett and Rosie Hackett bridges. Surnames are fine and useful, anything else is too long-winded. If anyone wants to know who it's called after they can always look it up.

serfboard wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get this (new?) idea of putting the whole name on structures e.g. the James Joyce, Samuel Beckett and Rosie Hackett bridges. Surnames are fine and useful, anything else is too long-winded. If anyone wants to know who it's called after they can always look it up.

Councilors trying to justify themselves in a chamber

MayoSalmon wrote: »

New Ross bridge for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

‘The Rose F Kennedy Bridge’

That sounds alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

For those of us living nearby, it's 'the bridge' or if we're feeling particularly verbose, 'the new bridge'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Well, there already is a Barrow bridge, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_Bridge

• Advertisement

The RFK bridge
    0une2cA.jpg

Advertisement