Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer killed in suspect dissident ambush

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The_Mask wrote: »
    Would the circumstances or your view change if this guy was a taxi driver? No i dont think so. His job as a PO may have caused him to have been singled out but he wasnt killed purely because of it.

Im more than certain they would have killed him whether he was protestant or catholic. As i said if they wanted to kill a protestant they could have found a much easier target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Im more than certain they would have killed him whether he was protestant or catholic. As i said if they wanted to kill a protestant they could have found a much easier target.

The amount of intelligence required to murder somebody is alot so yer there are easier targets, most of them living in their own community's as they have already demonstrated in the past, but if you want to up the aunty target somebody from the other community

junder wrote: »
    The amount of intelligence required to murder somebody is alot so yer there are easier targets, most of them living in their own community's as they have already demonstrated in the past, but if you want to up the aunty target somebody from the other community

Why would they even need to up the ante? Killing a prison officer sends the message they want to send.

Why would they even need to up the ante? Killing a prison officer sends the message they want to send.

Because they are failing in their desire to being the army back onto the streets, why are you finding that so hard to understand, if they don't up the ante, if they don't get the army back onto the streets they will stall in their campaign, it's really not rocket science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Because they are failing in their desire to being the army back onto the streets, why are you finding that so hard to understand, if they don't up the ante, if they don't get the army back onto the streets they will stall in their campaign, it's really not rocket science
    As I said why not shoot up a pub full of protestants if this is what they want so bad.your point is flawed,you're trying to make it sectarian,give it a rest we have enough bad things happening without people like you stirring it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Huh?this makes no sense.

In my opinion his occupation only played a small part in him being targeted, could easily have been any protestant of any occupation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Dissidents main objective is to bring the army back on to the streets, to undermine the concept of 'normality' in Northern Ireland, so far they have failed to achieve this, maybe thier aim is to escalate the conflict by killing a Protestant under the guise of killing a prison officer, in the hope of provoking a reaction from loyalist paramiltarys, in this way they can pretend they have the high moral ground because they will say they only killed him because he was a prison officer
    I know this because it is a FACT that the root cause of the troubles in NI is RELIGION. To be murdered because of ones religion is known as a sectarian killing!
    It has been well reported he was a member of the Orange Order.

I really don't see this as a sectarian killing. He was a prison officer working in the republican wing of a high security prison where dozen of dissident protests have taken place. To sift through the many different staff who work at Maghaberry to work out their political background would be long and time consuming.
    In my opinion his occupation only played a small part in him being targeted, could easily have been any protestant of any occupation.

Then why not just drag a protestant off the street and shoot them? This murder was political, not sectarian. This murder is going to cause enough trouble as it is, don't need to further rile tensions up by placing a sectarian spin on this.

As I said why not shoot up a pub full of protestants if this is what they want so bad.your point is flawed,you're trying to make it sectarian,give it a rest we have enough bad things happening without people like you stirring it more.

Spare me the moral high ground rubbish, It wasn't me that went out and killed this police officer, and This man was a member of my community not yours. If dissidents did shoot up a bar the ILLUSION of being non sectarian. (The same illusion that the previous incarnations if republicans have tried to paint,) is destroyed, shooting this prison officer allows them to try and maintain this illusion, but at the same time it sends a direct message of provocation into the loyalist / unionist community, as he was as already mentioned, a member of our community. I would not be surprised in the least to find that there are some republicans, some maybe even on this site, who believe this prison officer got what he deserved merely because he was a member of the orange order.

Spare me the moral high ground rubbish, It wasn't me that went out and killed this police officer, and This man was a member of my community not yours. If dissidents did shoot up a bar the ILLUSION of being non sectarian. (The same illusion that the previous incarnations if republicans have tried to paint,) is destroyed, shooting this prison officer allows them to try and maintain this illusion, but at the same time it sends a direct message of provocation into the loyalist / unionist community, as he was as already mentioned, a member of our community. I would not be surprised in the least to find that there are some republicans, some maybe even on this site, who believe this prison officer got what he deserved merely because he was a member of the orange order.

Seriously you're making assumptions based on no evidence.he was probably targeted because of the prison issue which is ongoing.there has been threats issued to prison officers over the last year.

You just have to get it in that's it attack on your community and protestants,please spare me the moral high ground.

Assumptions never do anything constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bohemian1890

Seems to me your trying to brush his religious and political identy under the carpet

So if this happened in lets say for arguments sake America, would there be emphasis put on what religion he was in the media?, I think not! He was killed because he was a prison officer...

Some people love stoking up secterian tensions and that includes the media etc.

RMD wrote: »
    I really don't see this as a sectarian killing. He was a prison officer working in the republican wing of a high security prison where dozen of dissident protests have taken place. To sift through the many different staff who work at Maghaberry to work out their political background would be long and time consuming.

Then why not just drag a protestant off the street and shoot them? This murder was political, not sectarian. This murder is going to cause enough trouble as it is, don't need to further rile tensions up by placing a sectarian spin on this.

This murder was sectarian plain & simple, because of his job dissidents will only see it as a bonus for propaganda purposes. As you have stated they could have easily taken anyone off the street but i still do not believe he was murdered just because of his occupation as many people on this thread are saying.

This murder was sectarian plain & simple, because of his job dissidents will only see it as a bonus for propaganda purposes. As you have stated they could have easily taken anyone off the street but i still do not believe he was murdered just because of his occupation as many people on this thread are saying.

If it was sectarian why have catholic police officers been targeted?. These people get targeted because of their job, not their religion.

If it was sectarian why have catholic police officers been targeted?. These people get targeted because of their job, not their religion.

THIS murder was sectarian

THIS murder was sectarian

How do you know?

How do you know?

In my opinion

• Advertisement

In my opinion
    Exactly your opinion.

Exactly your opinion.

Am i not entitled to one?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but The_Mask's isn't a very good one...

Am i not entitled to one?
    Did I say you weren't?

We ll leave it at that so Jack!

• Advertisement

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but The_Mask's isn't a very good one...

Grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You've just repeated my exact point. Why go to the trouble of determining who this man is, what his religion is and what his political background is. Why add a greater level of hassle to their action when they could drag a person of the street in the middle of the night or rig explosives to someone's car. When you risk detention for life to carry out an action, you don't overcomplicate it.

You're taking a far too simplistic view of Northern Ireland. The tensions there are just as much political as they are religious, if not more political these days. It's not Catholic V Protestant, it's Republican Vs Unionist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 queen of Umaill

These people are not representing the IRA or Irish or the political movement for a united Ireland.Shame on them using the name of the IRA and our heros and the real people who suffered.Trying to justify their actions.
    If in fact it is the people who try to call themselves the IRA now.
    As just because a Dublin reg plate does not mean it is them.
    And i am appalled they arrested Robert Mc Carthy,that is simply i believe a ruse to blame him.

However that poor mans family deepest condolences and may he rest in peace.Awful disgusting murder.

These people are not representing the IRA or Irish or the political movement for a united Ireland.Shame on them using the name of the IRA and our heros and the real people who suffered.Trying to justify their actions.
    If in fact it is the people who try to call themselves the IRA now.
    As just because a Dublin reg plate does not mean it is them.
    And i am appalled they arrested Robert Mc Carthy,that is simply i believe a ruse to blame him.

However that poor mans family deepest condolences and may he rest in peace.Awful disgusting murder.

Robert Macarthy??what?

Robert Macarthy??what?

OOPs did i just let a cat out of bag :eek:

p.s I was joking as an article had been let out with that name and was wrong name.
    I did go to show you but was retracted and changed :(

You've just repeated my exact point. Why go to the trouble of determining who this man is, what his religion is and what his political background is. Why add a greater level of hassle to their action when they could drag a person of the street in the middle of the night or rig explosives to someone's car. When you risk detention for life to carry out an action, you don't overcomplicate it.

You're taking a far too simplistic view of Northern Ireland. The tensions there are just as much political as they are religious, if not more political these days. It's not Catholic V Protestant, it's Republican Vs Unionist.

They would have gone to a lot of trouble to single this man out, they did not just randomly shoot a prison officer. They would have watched him for weeks / months, followed him, took note if his habits, which roots he may or may not takern to work, his hobbies, the bars he drinks in, the church he went to even what lodge he was a member of. When they went out to
    Kill that day they knew they were going to kill a Protestant. Read eamon Collins books 'killing rage' former intelligence officer for the Tyrone brigade of the IRA ( now dead at the hands of his former colleagues) gives a good account of how targets where selected and how intelligence was gathered before the kill was made

They would have gone to a lot of trouble to single this man out, they did not just randomly shoot a prison officer. They would have watched him for weeks / months, followed him, took note if his habits, which roots he may or may not takern to work, his hobbies, the bars he drinks in, the church he went to even what lodge he was a member of. When they went out to
    Kill that day they knew they were going to kill a Protestant. Read eamon Collins books 'killing rage' former intelligence officer for the Tyrone brigade of the IRA ( now dead at the hands of his former colleagues) gives a good account of how targets where selected and how intelligence was gathered before the kill was made

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's not Catholic V Protestant, it's Republican Vs Unionist.
    More accurately, it's people with a desire for conflict versus ordinary decent hard-working people (of every political conviction and religious belief) who want to put the past behind them and get on with their lives.

If they had done all that surveillance on him they probably would have done the same on other prison officers working where he works. He was probably deemed the easiest target. They would have known he was a protestant but i doubt it would have been the reason he was chosen.

• Advertisement

If they had done all that surveillance on him they probably would have done the same on other prison officers working where he works. He was probably deemed the easiest target. They would have known he was a protestant but i doubt it would have been the reason he was chosen.

They don't have the resources to commit to doing surveillance on other people plus the more people you have out watching people the more chance you have of being comprised. Just following somebody in a car to find what routes they take can months

They don't have the resources to commit to doing surveillance on other people plus the more people you have out watching people the more chance you have of being comprised. Just following somebody in a car to find what routes they take can months

Their surveillance methods are more complicated then you think. Trust me. I've heard of some examples that surprised me coming from people who had been under surveillance by dissidents.

Seriously what is your point at this stage?you're quoting stuff from ex Provos books which is totally irrelevant to these shootings.

Can you just stop trying to spark a sectarian war of Words on this thread...

Their surveillance methods are more complicated then you think. Trust me. I've heard of some examples that surprised me coming from people who had been under surveillance by dissidents.

I get briefed on thier capability as part of my jobs, so I know full well thier capablitys and security measures we have to put in place in our daily lives so we don't end up like mr black

I get briefed on thier capability as part of my jobs, so I know full well thier capablitys and security measures we have to put in place in our daily lives so we don't end up like mr black

So you'll know that they shouldnt be underestimated then and that the threat from them is taken very seriously by the security forces?

You dont sound as aware as you say if your claiming they dont have the resources to carry out the surveillance. They've caught the army out once by carrying out surveillance on them with them completely unaware, only finding out completely by a fortunate accident. If they can do that to the army they'll do it even easier to a prison officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

It really is disappointing how loyalists make everything out to be about religion - talk about paranoia - and this is from people who largely don't even bother practicing their religion.

They shot a prison officer because he was a prison officer working in the republican wing. I doubt there are many catholics working that job. He wasn't shot because he was a protestant, he just happened to be.

That of course doesn't make the murder any less reprehensible but there shouldn't be this sectarian spin put on things to preemptively justify any possible action by loyalist paramilitaries. Just the other day a loyalist was caught video recording taxi depots in nationalist areas.

I'm not saying junder is doing this but he seems to have swallowed that spin. Its not an attack on the protestant community, if killing a PO is sectarian then were the POs killed by the UVF killed for sectarian reasons, or was it something to do with what went on in the jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

GRMA wrote: »
    It really is disappointing how loyalists make everything out to be about religion - talk about paranoia - and this is from people who largely don't even bother practicing their religion.

They shot a prison officer because he was a prison officer working in the republican wing. I doubt there are many catholics working that job. He wasn't shot because he was a protestant, he just happened to be.

That of course doesn't make the murder any less reprehensible but there shouldn't be this sectarian spin put on things to preemptively justify any possible action by loyalist paramilitaries. Just the other day a loyalist was caught video recording taxi depots in nationalist areas.

I'm not saying junder is doing this but he seems to have swallowed that spin. Its not an attack on the protestant community, if killing a PO is sectarian then were the POs killed by the UVF killed for sectarian reasons, or was it something to do with what went on in the jail?
    "and this is from people who largely don't even bother practicing their religion".
    Firstly, can you give us all a link to this evidence of this "fact", secondly what relavence has it to the overall issue of deviants murdering people?

"and this is from people who largely don't even bother practicing their religion".
    Firstly, can you give us all a link to this evidence of this "fact", secondly what relavence has it to the overall issue of deviants murdering people?
    A UUP politican told me that recently. As well as a CoI minister.

It has to do with the loyalist reaction.

A UUP politican told me that recently. As well as a CoI minister.

It has to do with the loyalist reaction.
    Since you have no link to evidence I presume you will withdraw that cheap,tawdry, and ill advised remark, sad to see you refer to all those of a different tradition as loyalists, you do understand that unionist,loyalist, and protestant all have differing general understood meanings?

• Advertisement

Since you have no link to evidence I presume you will withdraw that cheap,tawdry, and ill advised remark, sad to see you refer to all those of a different tradition as loyalists, you do understand that unionist,loyalist, and protestant all have differing general understood meanings?
    What are you on about? I was talking specifically about loyalists, like junder who will freely admit that he is one.

It's common knowledge that less and less loyalists, especially young ones, go to mass. junder will tell you as much too. Same for nationalists.

What are you on about? I was talking specifically about loyalists, like junder who will freely admit that he is one.

It's common knowledge that less and less loyalists, especially young ones, go to mass. junder will tell you as much too. Same for nationalists.
    Yes ,instead of mass, most of them attend service, but you cant seem to get outside your own, very limited mindset!

Yes ,instead of mass, most of them attend service, but you cant seem to get outside your own, very limited mindset!
    Mass, service, whatever. Are you honestly telling me that there is no decline in people attending religious services? For young working class loyalists especially?

It doesn't really matter anyway - its very much a side point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just because there was not enough evidence to prosecute Duffy does not mean he is innocent

Bulls**t, so can i say the prison officer that was killed was killed because he was torturing prisoners!

I have absolutely no evidence that he did, but who cares when we can judge him by your thinking!

Just thought I would post an update on the situation taking from another forum "The judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court .... Colin is still being held at this moment, please read on.

Contrary to media reports today the psni haven't been granted an extension to continue questioning Colin and the other innocent man arrested, what has actually transpired is the judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court that would allow for the judge to grant an extension in both cases, so now the psni are having a 'closed court' session were they plan to deliver 'secret' evidence so the judge can change his mind, this application is currently taking place. Neither Colin's legal team or the other arrested man's team are allowed into the court or to hear this information that they claim to have, so in actual fact it's a situation that the psni can say what they want, make up what they want, in the hope to persuade the judge to grant an extension, none of what's said can be used as evidence in any court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just thought I would post an update on the situation taking from another forum "The judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court .... Colin is still being held at this moment, please read on.

Contrary to media reports today the psni haven't been granted an extension to continue questioning Colin and the other innocent man arrested, what has actually transpired is the judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court that would allow for the judge to grant an extension in both cases, so now the psni are having a 'closed court' session were they plan to deliver 'secret' evidence so the judge can change his mind, this application is currently taking place. Neither Colin's legal team or the other arrested man's team are allowed into the court or to hear this information that they claim to have, so in actual fact it's a situation that the psni can say what they want, make up what they want, in the hope to persuade the judge to grant an extension, none of what's said can be used as evidence in any court.

So it seems the PSNI are carrying on from where the RUC left off!

This is an absolute disgrace, and the authorities wonder why they are targeted!

• Advertisement

Actually I have long said within my own community that at somepoint the dissidents will start targeting Protestants involved in the security services, for the reasons I have stated many times in this thread. They will specifically target these people not only because it will provoke loyalists but also because they know that people like you will continue to bieve the lie that these people are not sectarian. As for the loyalist paramiltarys as thing stand, I don't believe they are going to react this time. But I will let ken wilkinson speak for them

Progressive Unionist Party Antrim spokesman Ken Wilkinson

THE man who represents many of Ulster’s loyalist prisoners has called for no retaliation over the killing of one of their prison guards.
    Ken Wilkinson, south Antrim representative for the UVF-linked Progressive Unionist Party (PUP), called for calm in the wake of the murder, but said that some loyalists had already been feeling unhappy before the incident took place.
    Mr Wilkinson, who is also the spokesman for loyalist inmates in the Bush 1 and Bush 2 wings of Maghaberry Prison, said many of the prisoners knew David Black and had a high regard for him.
    Mr Wilkinson said: “I have to offer my condolences to the Black family.
    “They [prisoners] knew him. He was a human being, and treated people as human beings. His job was that he was there to look after people – people who broke the law.
    “I’ve spoken to several prisoners and he just had that sort of charisma about him. Some people do their job, and do it right.
    “If you speak to a person in a proper manner you gain a bit of respect, and David Black seemed to have gained the respect of a lot of people he spoke to.”
    He also said that he regards the attack on the prison officer not as an attack against unionists – but against nationalists, too.
    He said: “There’s a lot of frustration, a lot of anger, not only from the loyalist community but from the whole community in Northern Ireland about what took place... I believe it was also an attack on the nationalist community and the young men and women thinking about going into that job.”
    There are around two dozen prisoners in the two loyalist Maghaberry wings, from different paramilitary factions. Mr Wilkinson said republican frustrations over strip searches and treatment by guards at the prison were ill-founded, because loyalists and republicans were subject to the same measures.
    He said much work had been done to steer loyalists away from violence, and the PUP’s position is to stick by the peace process, although there are “frustrations” which some loyalists feel over perceived attacks against traditional Protestant culture.
    But he said: “I’d appeal to all loyalists for cool and calm heads.
    “In the past, we had attack after attack on our communities.
    “It didn’t change the constitution of Northern Ireland.
    “Let the powers that be deal with this – the PSNI.
    “I appeal to all factions of loyalism not to retaliate, because that would be playing to their agenda – and we shouldn’t be playing to their agenda.”
    The death of Mr Black came not long after the News Letter was contacted by someone claiming to be from a dissident loyalist group.
    Referring to themselves as “Grugg”, the caller claimed that the group was an alliance between UVF, UFF and LVF members based in the Portadown area.
    He added that they had up to 120 members, had trained with weapons outside Bangor recently, and were led by a former UVF commander.
    Refusing to give a name or contact details, the caller said that “there’s nothing being done here about dissident republicans”.
    “They’re murdering soldiers, murdering police, and getting away with it... Orange halls are being targeted here,” he said.
    The caller said he would be back in touch and would send material to the newspaper, but nothing has been received.
    Mr Wilkinson said he doesn’t attach weight to such talk.

“It does make our job harder,” he said. “I know there are people out there frustrated and angry.
    “When one looks at what loyalism has had to accept, the people now sitting in power, the likes of McGuinness, I appeal to young loyalists to look at the constitution of Northern Ireland. It is standing fast.”

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This is an absolute disgrace, and the authorities wonder why they are targeted!
    The authorities don't wonder why they're targeted at all. They know that they're targeted by psychopaths for their own reasons. Those reasons don't have to make any sense outside of the alternate reality that those psychopaths have constructed in order to justify their behaviour to themselves.

If you're saying that it's justifiable for psychopaths to murder prison officers because of anti-terrorism legislation, I couldn't disagree more.

Thankfully Colin Duffy has been unconditionally released, hopefully they can find the real killers now

I not the biggest fan of willy frazer, but in this case fair play for having the balls to confront this illigal parade, very interesting to hear what these republican representatives of the ones who killed the prison officer had to say. A one women taking part in the protest says "did you hear about the man who got a puncture on the m1" or another one "you going to join the prison service willy, I hear there is a vacancy"

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/H7SvaXsZaRQ

I not the biggest fan of willy frazer, but in this case fair play for having the balls to confront this illigal parade, very interesting to hear what these republican representatives of the ones who killed the prison officer had to say. A one women taking part in the protest says "did you hear about the man who got a puncture on the m1" or another one "you going to join the prison service willy, I hear there is a vacancy"

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/H7SvaXsZaRQ
    Havent watched the clip yet asmI'm on my mobile but Frazer is generally a nasty little bigot and in his description he says that the republicans marched in Dublin, that was nothing to do with the PO being killed but Marian Price - it wasnt just republicans you had people from the ULA there too

• Advertisement
Advertisement