Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do attractive girls think about being checked out by hopeless people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Candie wrote: »
    You're not alone, I've got the dimples too. I actually thought most people do, no?

They're just more prominent looking on some people i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

wakka12 wrote: »
    Is anyone else completely unsure where they fall on the looks scale? I get so many signs that Im ugly and then so many others that Im attractive.. So I honestly have no clue. Ive always been insecure about my looks and Ive definitely improved but Ive still been called ugly ,horrible, cute, adorable, hot ,handsome ,sexy and everything in between since I started college, by people of all genders, ages, races and backgrounds.. both online and in person

I'd say most people might have an idea but many don't. My boyfriend doesn't like how he looks at all and no amount of telling him he's gorgeous will change that, unfortunately. Some people don't see themselves as they really are when they look in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

You're not alone, I've got the dimples too. I actually thought most people do, no?

I hate people labelling either themselves or others as hopeless, nobody is. Unless you're a repulsive hateful person with no redeeming features at all, there is someone out there who will like you. Maybe not your looks to start with, but would come to like you if you're a half-decent skin.

I'm an average looking girl, and that's fine by me. I think I have enough other stuff going for me to make up for my averageness so I don't dwell on not being a supermodel. One of the secrets to avoiding complete insecurity is to avoid comparing yourself with others, that is the road to self-loathing, if you're at all lacking in confidence.

You just keep getting better and better, my love :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Azalea wrote: »
    Putting on a bit of weight actually made me look better - went from being really skinny and kinda "angular" to softer-looking. That was just me though. Not saying being really skinny makes everyone look bad or anything.

Most people fall in the middle though (I think that includes Emma Watson - I think she's pretty but not stunning the way she's made out to be) - attractiveness being subjective is more applicable then. But yeah, there are objectively beautiful people - not everyone will fancy them, but that doesn't change that they're beautiful. Far more of them than "ugly" people. I think very few people are ugly.

Then you haven't met Daddy "Ploppy the Slopper"?:pac:

You may check me out ladies but don't touch what you can't afford.

Erm?

Anyone?

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Tasden wrote: »
    They're just more prominent looking on some people i think

They're just deadly I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Then you haven't met Daddy "Ploppy the Slopper"?:pac:

His skin diseases are fascinating.

You may check me out ladies but don't touch what you can't afford.

50c?

99c, final offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Yakkyda wrote: »
    They're just deadly I think.

Well i think that proves perfectly the poster's point from earlier that some people like what you personally might hate, and that's cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I think attractive girls aren't that shallow op. Couples tend to be about the same level of attractiveness but in couples where one is obviously better looking, the women tend to be the better looking one. You don't see that many handsome men with less attractive women.

50c?

99c, final offer!

99 is actually the ice cream that many people compare me to, thank you!:P

http://www.irishexaminer.com/media/images/i/IceCreamConeDENISMINIHANE_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I think attractive girls aren't that shallow op. Couples tend to be about the same level of attractiveness but in couples where one is obviously better looking, the women tend to be the better looking one. You don't see that many handsome men with less attractive women.

I'm sure there's plenty of examples of attractive guys marrying wimmin that look like the arse end of a skip truck. Money is the factor there I'd imagine, same way there's pig ugly rich auld fcukers with —30 year old wives. No love there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No idea how the thread got to talking about back dimples. Have never even heard of them. But two posters kindly posted them. Can't see the appeal, but never come across them, not seen them in the flesh might not be doing them an justice. A cursory google suggest they tend to be found on skinnier people, no one has any mentioned my having any, and I can't exactly see my own back. Different strokes and all that. As for the word Hopeless.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I realise looks are subjective to some extent and people always say oh she might be gods gift to one man and a minger to another but really this isn't so true. We all know a reasonably attractive person when we see one, its whats generally accepted as 'conventional attractiveness' . Like sure you might think somebodys cute and somebody else might pass on them but for instance I doubt theres anyone who thinks emma watsons horrible looking and then I doubt theres many who think steve buschemi is hot stuff

Poor Steve :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I honestly don't think he's that bad looking! Fairly average-looking. He has really tired eyes with dark circles - might be a medical condition. I'd bet a bit of concealer on those babies and he'd look grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I honestly don't think he's that bad looking! Fairly average-looking. He has really tired eyes with dark circles - might be a medical condition. I'd bet a bit of concealer on those babies and he'd look grand!

I suppose. He usually plays seedy or strange characters which doesn't help.

I dunno... He has the look of someone who's been dead about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I heard attractive girls have that multi-spectrum vision thing like in Predator. So yes, they can actually see if you're playing nervously with your mickey while you stand there trying to think of something devastatingly cool to say. Oh well... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Steve buscemi has character! Sure he's not a conventional "hot guy" but I'd take him over the likes of Brad Pitt any day!

What if Steve checked you out...how would the average woman feel? Or man for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What if Steve checked you out...how would the average woman feel? Or man for that matter?

Id feel very uncomfortable due to him being nearly triple my age..but I don't take offence to somebody checking me out just because I don't think theyre good looking..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

I dunno... He has the look of someone who's been dead about a week.

Dead. So hot right now. Or cold. Depending on how long it's been :-/

I'd probably say I think he's a great actor.

Someone's going to need to define "checking you out". Is it just staring like I think backwards man asked? Or is it something more?

I'd probably say I think he's a great actor.

Rather slippery of you there, Azalea!

How about Ryan Tubridy checking you out while wearing a Christmas jumper? As he drives by in his souped up Honda Civic boy racer with Jay Z pumping out the window?

Very specific I know:pac:

Rather slippery of you there, Azalea!
    Well in fairness it's what he's known for, and he is a great actor. I'd say the same to anyone I encountered whose work I admire!
    How about Ryan Tubridy checking you out while wearing a Christmas jumper? As he drives by in his souped up Honda Civic boy racer with Jay Z pumping out the window?

Very specific I know:pac:
    I'd probably just say "Hi Ryan!" He seems like a nice fella in fairness, IMO. Fianna Fáil shilling aside...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have good days and bad, I put my picture up here in the lookalikes thread and got some funny private messages lol! I try not to think about my looks too much to be honest. When someone smiles at me I smile back, I don't think "ooh they think I'm hot", I just think awh that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

anna080 wrote: »
    I have good days and bad, I put my picture up here in the lookalikes thread and got some funny private messages lol! I try not to think about my looks too much to be honest. When someone smiles at me I smile back, I don't think "ooh they think I'm hot", I just think awh that's nice.

I lost my virginity to a girl called anna who was born in 1980 :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

sup_dude wrote: »
    You know what, I am attractive. It took me a very very long time to realise it (21 years). Not only had I myself convinced I was ugly by secondary school, but I had completely accepted it and was completely ready for a single life when I left secondary school after not one boy showed any bit of interest in me up until that time. I was the only person that year who didn't have a date for the debs. I was even bullied where my complete lack of boys was a favourite topic, so it was really solidified in my mind that I was ugly and that was that.
    When I went to uni, it was a very weird experience. It was the first time in my entire life that I had ever had any attention from the opposite gender, and since I'm not trying to be modest in this post, I got a lot of it. It was overwhelming. I kept coming up with excuses for it such as it being dark in a nightclub or that they're just taking the piss, before eventually accepting it. I still didn't believe I was goodlooking as such. I mean, I had spent my whole life being told I had any looks at all by only my mother and family, but being told I was ugly by my "friends". However, after 4 years of it (including getting an amazing boyfriend), I was forced to admit that maybe I wasn't so ugly after all.
    Now? Next week I'm going into a modelling agency in order to discuss a signing. It wasn't something I asked for, the agent found me.
    So yes, I am attractive and I think the mentality this country (and a lot of others have) that someone thinking they're attractive is somehow wrong, is one of the main reasons so many young girls (and boys) have deep rooted insecurities. I don't mean bigheadedness or egotism or the "yeah, I'm just amazing", but I don't believe there's anything wrong with being able to admit that you're attractive. Heck, it took me years to be able to entertain the notion. Even now, I still get periods where my self esteem collapses again, but if I were to give into the idea that we shouldn't admit we're attractive, I would never come out of those lapses. I think this notion we put on ourselves that we shouldn't be allowed to think we're goodlooking, is one of the main reasons so many people have problems with how they look.

Ah what a lovely refreshing attitude. Fair play to ya!

It is the unmentionable in Ireland really. Much like mentioning or celebrating your own accomplishments, it puts people on edge. Maybe it's down to our collective history of being put down as a nation, the underdog thing. Or the parochial nature of the place.

I think I always thought of myself as attractive. No major traffic stopper and not about to sign any modelling contracts, but I've probably always had a relatively healthy self image that way. I think it's everything to do with what you hear as a child and my mother always thought I was only deadly. It kills me a bit inside when I hear about the bullying others had to endure about their looks, especially by family members or close 'friends'. That probably would have killed any self confidence I ever developed.

All the same it was never impressed on me as something I should hold in any major esteem. Just, wasn't I lucky to have my mother's eyes or that lovely thick hair or whatever. But there's more important things to worry about. Like getting a good education and then a good job and developing a a decent sense of independence and integrity. Things you have to work hard on, things that will stay with you long after your hair/teeth start falling out and you lose that youthful glow.

Because that's simple isn't, being just nice enough so that some hopeless ****er won't get ideas above his station. It's up to the uggo to aim within his own league and not get the hump when a pretty girl does not want to bang him.
    Quite the interpretation/inference/implication (all the i's)!

Nothing about whom he "should" be checking out, or "leagues" or whatever - just in reference to individual such incidents: if the woman does not fancy him, she can't help that, but it would be **** for her to be rude also. It isn't always simple, no, but it's the most ideal way to address the situation in my opinion. At times, if she isn't very receptive she's considered an ice queen; if she's friendly she's a tease. Damned do, damned don't. So, best approach is somewhere in the middle.

I don't envy guys doing the chatting-up thing and women who don't feel an attraction to them shouldn't be rude but shouldn't be made to feel bad about this involuntary feeling either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I don't envy guys doing the chatting-up thing and women who don't feel an attraction to them shouldn't be rude but shouldn't be made to feel bad about this involuntary feeling either.

I've never chatted a girl up... I've always let them initiate. Probably makes me a bit of an odd male in that respect.

I'm not really attracted to shy quiet women anyway, so it's really never been an issue for me!

I watch other guys desperately chasing women and it looks a bit tragic to me at times... Self control and composure are attractive qualities in a person - regardless of gender!

Advertisement