Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wasn't being entirely serious. It was more of a reflexive sigh induced by djkeogh's comment about jumping straight online when all I want is authentic Max Payne on my PC.

I would rather strong single player games and solid multilayer games as separate entities, for the most part. BF3 had an appalingly bad singleplayer but most only bother with the multiplayer anyway. TF2 is a great multiplayer with a growing back story but no need whatsoever for a singleplayer experience. Does anyone actually care about the CoD story?

For me Max Payne has always been an absurd, intelligent single player experience. These kind of experiences are becoming fewer and fewer, brown space marines are taking over, and we are seeing more and more 'me too' on multiplayer modes.

While the multiplayer in MP3 and also ME3 appear to be quite good, rather than 'tacked on', they can distract from the uniqueness of the singleplayer experience and we just end up with an increasingly generic mutiplayer experience skinned with the latest reboot or sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Does this have an install on the PS3? Don't wanna pop it in now and be waiting 20 minutes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

cloud493 wrote: »
    Does this have an install on the PS3? Don't wanna pop it in now and be waiting 20 minutes for it.

Yupp, you'll be waiting about 10 - 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Is there disc swapping on the xbox version? Think I read somewhere it comes on multiple discs. Not sure which platform to get it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Is there disc swapping on the xbox version? Think I read somewhere it comes on multiple discs. Not sure which platform to get it on

You have to change disc about half way through the single player on the xbox.

Does anyone know why I lose weapons in between cut scenes?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i read in one of the reviews that if max is holding a gun when you enter a cut scene.. at the start of the scene you'll see him put it down somewhere, or holster it.. or do something with it

maybe he puts it down and then the cut scene takes over and walks him away from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

i read in one of the reviews that if max is holding a gun when you enter a cut scene.. at the start of the scene you'll see him put it down somewhere, or holster it.. or do something with it

maybe he puts it down and then the cut scene takes over and walks him away from it?

I haven't lost a gun in any of the cut scenes but he does switch from an ak47 to the uzi most of the time which is annoying but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

well just got the game first impressions on the single player visually it looks great and all but the cut scenes jumping in is a tad annoying. also there is way too much cut scenes (from what i have played) i find myself getting bored waiting and tempted to skip past. its like MGS 3 again

Nodferatu wrote: »
    well just got the game first impressions on the single player visually it looks great and all but the cut scenes jumping in is a tad annoying. also there is way too much cut scenes (from what i have played) i find myself getting bored waiting and tempted to skip past. its like MGS 3 again

I find the story to be excellent, touchs of quality everywhere and the cutscenes actually blend into the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how is multiplayer !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Jeez story mode is really hard for me even playing on normal. Multiplayer is fantastic Gang Wars and Payne Killer mode is a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

how do you get in on the multiplayer event?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sp is classic max, but more frantic than I remember. The last kill cams are epic, especially when you're pumping them full of kead with an ak47! Mp is tough enough, can't tell if im just not great or lag... 2 discs on the 360 version. If Max is holding a 2 handed weapon when entering a cut scene, he takes out his pistol and holds the 2 handed weapon in the other hand. You have to swap back to it after thr cutscene. Nothing too annoying.

Also, if you wsnt to switch from a 2 handed weapon tk 2 single handed weapons, he drops the 2 handed one. Realistic in that sense, makes for some tough decision making at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The game play is brilliant but can't help noticing that the game is pushing the ps3 to its limits

Anyone on PS3 at the moment, playing in the rockstar mp event with naughtix

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Think it's great so far!

Man i'm sucking at online, only level 3, can't wait to unlock my custom loadout. Naughtix is kicking ass tho

How do you melee kill online. Pressing the shoot button up close doesnt seem to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Man i'm sucking at online, only level 3, can't wait to unlock my custom loadout. Naughtix is kicking ass tho

How do you melee kill online. Pressing the shoot button up close doesnt seem to do it.
    y or triangle

Gang Wars is so class! Just got to the last round and it froze, had to hard reset the ps3, sickner. But unlocked level 4 so can make my custom loadout and play the standard matches, MP just got better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can the people complaining about the cut scenes please go back to playing call of duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I've been at this gaming lark for long enough that you would think i could figure it out for myself, but for the life of me i couldn't figure out where to put in the DLC code i got from Gamestop. The Justice pack i think it's called.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

weiland79 wrote: »
    I've been at this gaming lark for long enough that you would think i could figure it out for myself, but for the life of me i couldn't figure out where to put in the DLC code i got from Gamestop. The Justice pack i think it's called.

I dont think the DLC is out yet. I believe the pass you have will only be active once the justice pack is released. This is what i think anyway. I could be wrong.

I have only played the first 2 chapters and i thought i will post some initial thoughts ...

Just played the game yesterday. Its a great game no doubt but the visual presentation is really killing me. It makes me feel like i am drunk when i am not. I wish there was a way to turn of the effects. Graphicswise the game is awesome. The enviornment is beautifully detailed. However like so many other games out there the actual characters (except for Payne) isnt so good looking.Its too early to say but i thought i noticed a few lip syncing anomalies ( again its very difficult to say with this presentation style). The hair and the body movement of some of the NPC's werent as good as i imagined it would be. Soundwise, this game is just class. Voice acting is very solid too.

Apart from that the game is awesome. I like the last bullet kills and the pretty goryness of the game. Shows that Max is just a ruthless killer. I am only at level/stage 2 and some of the setpieces ( so far) are really awesome. I tried the multiplayer and found it very challenging. I played a general deathmatch and got 9 kills and got killed 18 times. Dont think i will be much use to our crew. Its fun though.

I am still getting used to the control layout. Its a bit new to me and i find it a bit harder to get used to when compared to other 3rd person games like uncharted but thats just me talking.

Overall, its a great game. I am glad i bought it on the first day. The slow mo kills and the voice acting alone is worth the money.

Oh one more thing. This game shouldnt be taken lightly. Its hard. I was playing on normal with free aim and found it very challenging so i am going to give it another shot later with the middle level aiming ( soft aiming i believe is the name).

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

jmx009 wrote: »
    I am still getting used to the control layout. Its a bit new to me and i find it a bit harder to get used to when compared to other 3rd person games like uncharted but thats just me talking.

Yeah the controlls are a bit pants alright. Splitting the bullet time toggle and bullet tme dodge into two very differnt parts was a mistake. Not the most intuative when in the middle of a cqc firefight.

Have noticed the animations bugging o a few times if the object collision detection cant keep up when dodging.

The cut scene moans are justified , I watched the first 3 levels on a vid walkthrough a few days before the EU release to get a feel for the game. I had already seen the cinemantics for those levels so didnt need to sit through them again but when you find you cant skip them its bloody irritating and Im sure for thsoe going on a second playthough will find that too. I ended up hwipping out the smart phone browsing the web while the scenes were going on. They are fine when you havent seen them before but ridiculously long when you have.

jmx009 wrote: »

Try changing your control layout to type 4 and then change your L2 R2 to L1 and R1 for aim and shoot thats what I did and it feels like Uncharted now :D

Ya, first thing I did was change shooting srom r2 to r1, much better. Weiland, if you are on PSN, go to the psn store and at the top right, there is an option to redeem code and you can enter it there but yeah, it might not be available yet either.

weiland79 wrote: »

You've gotta go to rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/firstdlc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

Only on Chapter 3 so far and not played online yet but I think its really good. Great graphics, shooting feels real and the final bullet is just awesome. Voice acting is brilliant and you can feel Max Payne as a very troubled guy. Look forward to playing some more tonight and hopefully seeing how good online is.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

just after finishing it, wow what a game!! absolutely loved it. a lot more difficult that i first imagined it would be and the music in the last level is amazing, sets the tone so well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

psugrue wrote: »
    just after finishing it, wow what a game!! absolutely loved it. a lot more difficult that i first imagined it would be and the music in the last level is amazing, sets the tone so well
    I was just coming online to post a very simular comment, the music gets perfect in the last few levels, and the last level in particular is, to me, the best part if the game.

I also love the small bits, like a comment every time Max picks up a bottle of painkillers, and I lol'd hard when Max finally
    got to play his theme on piano
    . Also, I was full sure that
    Raul was going to turn out to be a bad guy
    , well, more than he was anyway.

I think, like Deus Ex, I'll remember this game mostly for the music, perfectly done, but Rockstar are pretty good with things like that. And the few minor complaints aside, another fantastic game by Rockstar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Is there free roam in this?

Advertisement