Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champix - anyone tried it?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Hi all!!!

I am very happy to announce that TODAY I am 6 months smoke free!!!!!!
    I am so proud of myself and that feeling is enough to get me over the next 6 months!!!
    Good luck to all ye in the early days and just stick with it, as you can see it's so so worth it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Well, I finally got champix today. I took the first one, and then started some more reading up about them. I'm now terrified to finish the course, it doesn't seem worth it. My OH is afraid ill change and be ****ty to him too! Help!

I will be smoke free 9 months tomorrow! I still get strange thoughts that I actually miss smoking but then the relief that I don't far out weighs that feeling!
    I have put on a bit of weight but I'm not going to worry that for the moment and deal with it in January!

DMCC71 wrote: »
    I will be smoke free 9 months tomorrow! I still get strange thoughts that I actually miss smoking but then the relief that I don't far out weighs that feeling!
    I have put on a bit of weight but I'm not going to worry that for the moment and deal with it in January!

Congrats DMCC71!! I'm just over 10 weeks off them now. Never felt better.

My BF and housemate smoke tho, which does make things slightly awkward sometimes, but it doesn't take away from my acheivement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

DMCC71 wrote: »

9 weeks off them, and do still get that feeling to reach for a cigarette.....but still not doing it. Wouldn't worry about the bit of extra weight, I have done that too....but that is a whole lot easier to deal with than giving up smoking ::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

On day 9. I think they definitely work but I am getting some side affects. Vivid dreams being 1. Not bad dreams or dirty dreams just out and out crazy dreams. I often wonder about my sanity if this stuff is already in my head!!

I smoked about 20 a day but now down to 1 and I don't even finish that 1.

I also find I'm not 100%. I'm usually very outgoing and talkative but I feel a bit withdrawn. It's a small price to pay for a few weeks if its works - which it seems to be doing.

Many family members have now used these and are completley off the dirty cancer sticks but all have gained a good bit of weight. Did everyone else find this?

Why are these tablets not more well known if they work so well? Also, how exactly do these tablets work on the body or mind? Just wondering out of curiosity really because I'm really surprised that more people haven't tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 donalz

well off the fags 2 year now thanks to the champix best move i ever made in my life i just wish i did it sooner , for the first 2 week sleep and the sicky feeling all over the place . but your body dont be long in getting used to the tablets. no the tablets is not for all people and your doctor will tell you that but the lucky one"s able to avil of the champix go for you you wont be dispointed :) i i was a big somker for a young dude and had no will power did the patchs over and over again so what i did with my doc i did the frist 12 weeks for drug and went back to the doctors for a chat and i still was not happy so i did a SECOND 12 week course of them so that was 6months on them , best thing i done i wouldnt even dream of putting on fag in my mouth now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Update! Off the cancer sticks two weeks and 4 days!! Woooooo (love doing that I feel like dancing and calling myself Ric Flair). I'm on my 5th week of champax

Ive been out, drunk, stressed to my eye balls with uni work and hardly any cravings what so ever. These tabs are definitely worth a try! Id still really like to know how they work though.

Downside. Occasional upset stomach when I take the tabs but it passes pretty quick. Still get the vivid dreams but nothing too crazy.

Hi all! I was 10 months smoke free last Sunday! It's the best Christmas gift I could ever give myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 marieS1967

hi everyone just started on champix 2 days ago...... what i want to know is when did you all start loosing the urge to smoke.......an at @nanook my x partner quit by using champix an he smoked 80/100 cigs an would not go to bed without having 20 cigs beside him... that is y i thought i would give these champix ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think it's different for everyone. I smoked 20 plus a day for over 20 years. After about a week of taking them I was less inclined to smoke but continued smoking for two weeks (I think) after starting the course.
    6 weeks after starting I did lapse and smoked for a whole weekend so the desire was certainly still there after that time.
    Quit again the Monday after and will be off them 4 years next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hi all i am on my second day of using champix ,it has all ready started to work i would normaly smoke 20/30 rolies a day but only smoked 8 so far today ,every smoke i took i got such a horrable tast like battrie acid in my mouth its so sickening ,i plan on stopping the fags on day 9 but the way they are tasting at the moment i probably stop sooner.
    best of luck to others who have started

Hi all! How are ye all doing? I am almost on 11 months!!! I can't believe that in a short few weeks I will have the year done!! At the start your goals are very short term, but as time goes by it goes from hours and days to weeks and months.
    I really give champix big credit for this achievement but let us not forget that each of us needed to make the decision that the time is right to quit and then stick with it. The champix will get you over the first few nasty hurdles, and that's what I realised I needed. I wanted to stop for a long time but could never get past the early cravings and withdrawals.
    Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

9 days smoke free :) ,champix realy working for me,today was the worst day for longing but i put it down to the fact i was minding the kids while the wife was away for the day also having mad dreams

Wee update

Will be 5 months on 31st...madness!!

Only did about 2.5 months of the Champix, that's with halving the dose cos the full tablet in one go made me sick!

Cravings still show their face every now and then, especially when drinking, but due to a recent health scare, I am for SURE more determined to stay off them!!

Good job everyone!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 86Sarah

I tried Champix once before, it made me soooooooo sick.
    I stopped taking it and went back on the fags :(

I have cut right down now from 20 a day to about 6 or 7 except when I'm out for a night. Then it all goes a bit crazy and I can still get through a full pack in the night!!

Really determined to give them up soon though, it's just so hard :(

86Sarah wrote: »
    I tried Champix once before, it made me soooooooo sick.
    I stopped taking it and went back on the fags :(

I have cut right down now from 20 a day to about 6 or 7 except when I'm out for a night. Then it all goes a bit crazy and I can still get through a full pack in the night!!

Really determined to give them up soon though, it's just so hard :(

Did you try halving the tablets? Like, you're meant to take 2 whole tablets on one day, but I halved one tablet, took half in the morning and half in the evening. I hardly felt sick at all doing it that way!

It is still so hard, even with the champix, but with determination and support you can do it! But YOU really need to WANT to give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Hullo everyone!

I'm 41 next month and for the last 20 years or so I was averaging about 20 a day, though in reality it was probably more - you know the usual, when you're out for a pint and stuff. :O/

My health is actually fine, all things considering - but for me it's the €300/€350 a month.... AFTER TAX..... that I'm looking forward to having back again.

I'm on day 10 of Champix and on day 2 of not smoking.

I've a slight craving, if I'm honest - as I haven't gone 2 days without a cigarette in years.
    Slight 'tension' feeling in the head and across shoulders.
    Like everyone; absolutely CRAZY dreams!
    No mood swing or anything, thankfully.

Have training tonight (kickboxing) that I'm looking forward too - as it's a fantastic outlet for that 'tension' feeling that's going on and a good distraction from the ciggs.

Incidentally, I haven't had a drink since last July and if you knew me you'd find that remarkable - so I really hope I can do the same again with the ciggy's.

:O)

Best of luck. I was round the same age, smoked the same amount and duration when I gave up.
    It's not easy and I hope you make it.
    Keep telling people I was six weeks in the Champix course and broke down for a few days. Don't think you have it kicked after a few months. I'm 4 years + off them and still have the odd urge to smoke.
    Money you save is huge. Never considered this an issue when I smoked but looking back on the cash I wasted over the years now, is frightning.

Hi all!!!
    I am very proud to announce that it is 1YEAR TODAY since I had a cigarette!!!
    All the tough days now seem a distant memory and I actually feel like a non smoker.
    To everyone who is starting out or maybe struggling, all I can say is stick with it! The feeling I have today is something I would recommend to everyone.

1 year done and many more years to come!

• Advertisement

2 weeks gone and so far so good.
    Only taking 1 tablet a day now as wasn't comfortable on two.

:O)

[IMG]http:///Users/chriswilliamson/Desktop/IMG_5905.PNG[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Will91w

Trying to quit the natural way here. It's the crazy mood swings and absolute urge for wanting a fag is what makes it so hard for me!

Will91w wrote: »
    Trying to quit the natural way here. It's the crazy mood swings and absolute urge for wanting a fag is what makes it so hard for me!

I'm 11 months, 2 weeks and 4 days smoke-free.
    That's €3,307.83 saved in that time.

Stay the course buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Day 5 on champix I stopped smoking on day 2 and I have that niquitin quick mist for the cravings

Anyone have a problem with the quickmist ? Ie if I spray it into my mouth straight and it gets to the back of your mouth you have an immediate urge to hurl ??

Hi all, it was 2 years last Saturday since I had my last cigarette thanks to champix. Best thing I have ever done for my health and my quality if life so for anybody struggling, please hang in there, it is worth it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Off cigs 18 days now I don't have any cravings at all now !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Im 47 have smoked for 35 years!!!! That's not a typo but yes shameful. For past 30 years have smoked 20 a day. On day 13 of champix and.....nothing!! Also reading Allan Carrs book for second time. I just want to know how people actually did/started the first day off ciggs. Would really like some input as first thing im still going for when I get up in morning is my cuppa and ciggs. No waning on need to smoke at all. Help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cathb

Im 47 have smoked for 35 years!!!! That's not a typo but yes shameful. For past 30 years have smoked 20 a day. On day 13 of champix and.....nothing!! Also reading Allan Carrs book for second time. I just want to know how people actually did/started the first day off ciggs. Would really like some input as first thing im still going for when I get up in morning is my cuppa and ciggs. No waning on need to smoke at all. Help!!

It's about 5 years since I quit but I think I was on champix for about 2 weeks when I fully quit smoking. Had been smoking a bit less once I started on the tablets. Maybe going from 20-25 to 5-6 by the time I quit fully. They certainly reduced the craving to an extent but you're still going to need a fair bit of willpower.

Everything was going fine then about six weeks in I broke down and smoked over a weekend. Stopped again on the Monday and haven't had a cigarette since.

Everything seems easier with the benefit of hindsight but the reality is it wasn't easy. Looking back I did go a bit mental for a while (nothing too bad) whether that was the tablets, stress in work or just withdrawl I don't know.

Was it worth it, do I see benefits? - hell yes.

Best of luck cathb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

I got Champix back in October 2006 (I was 31). I had smoked for 19 years and had been up to over 100 a day. When I got them they had just been released to the market and even my Doc didn't know about them.

Almost 9 years later and still don't smoke.

Used to feel nauseous when I walked past smokers (after taking Champix) and still do (but not as much now - maybe need a 'top-up'!)

The price is significantly less now that they were then and I'm not sure if they are as potent but I've never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi All

I only started today, and I feel like I've taken a sleeping tablet. I'm struggling to stay awake in work. The pharmacist told me this could be one of the side effects. Will it pass as in will I be like this every day taking them, or does you body get used to them and side effects pass? Its that bad I just feel I could close my eyes and sleep at my desk.

I don't remember being droozy but I guess it effects people different ways. If it's that bad I'd be inclined to ring the doctor who prescribed them and ask if this is normal?

Did you have a big lunch mel??? :p

I didn't feel more tired when I was on them (as far as I can remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mel123

This is beyond any big lunch :-)

The pharmacist said to me when giving them to me and explaining how to take them etc, the most common side effects are tiredness, nausea and vivid dreams.
    I will keep taking them anyway and see how I go, I couldn't cope with this if I have it all the time id have to stop taking them! Was just wondering if anyone else felt the same.

lol

I would expect the tiredness would only be temporary

IMO you should try stick with it as the long term benefits are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

So, 2nd attempt with the Champix. Stayed off them 6 months last time and got big headed.. Tut tut. At 34 now, I've realised I want to be around longer so today is my last day smoking. Fingers crossed for ever.

1 week off cigs today. Sweet!

32nd day off smoking today. Haven't used Champix in over a week and still going strong. They helped me over the worst of it

Fair play Paddy. Just don't get too complacent. I'm off them 5 or 6 years this month and am still wary of the feckers.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Fair play Paddy. Just don't get too complacent. I'm off them 5 or 6 years this month and am still wary of the feckers.
    Oh I've my guard up still. Get the odd craving but drinking water or going to gym get me back on track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Just got a prescription for champix was off the 6 months on it before and then was just stupid and went back on them for no reason at all.. hopefully I can stay off them this time

Harpy wrote: »
    Just got a prescription for champix was off the 6 months on it before and then was just stupid and went back on them for no reason at all.. hopefully I can stay off them this time

Exactly what I did myself. Good luck this time round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

doing this for documentation purposes for anyone that might search for information info in future.

Quit smoking on 10th day of taking champix.
    I quit smoking using champix before for 4months+, but I was stupid enough to start again after meeting a smoker.

Decided to try quit for good this time (didn't have this mindset last time since I was single etc.) as I want to quit before I have some kind of cancer and I don't want my kids paying my hospital bills to prolong my life by 1week+ in future when I'll be an old fart.

Last time I quit smoking on 2nd week as well, and stopped taking champix straight away due to bad sleeping patterns, although I joined a gym that time,and all I could think about at that time was to make gains day and night :D

I'll stay on champix 2-3 more days, and quit before finishing the course as it's making me quite drowsy and tired this time. I had sleepless nights for 2-3 days but these were related to work stress.
    Didn't have those effects last time (6 years ago) although I was younger and much,much more active.

I only went to gym 2 times in those 10 days and had irregular amounts of cheat days in my diet while on champix, although I don't count one hiking trip and fishing trip as exercise since I felt full of energy after those.
    My appetite was weird as well for first couple of days. Sometimes I didn't want to eat and had to stuff myself, and sometimes I had to stop myself from putting anymore food into myself.
    Weirdest thing was that I was craving sweets (not a sweet tooth at all generally) but every-time I'd try to eat some candy, I'd spit it out as I hate anything too sweet. Closest to sweets I can generally eat is a cheesecake but ones it's not chocolate.

I'll probably, or hopefully not report here again, but feel free to PM me if you're looking to quit or take champix. I want to continue support quitting smoking for the rest of my life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

ibstar wrote: »
    doing this for documentation purposes for anyone that might search for information info in future.

Quit smoking on 10th day of taking champix.
    I quit smoking using champix before for 4months+, but I was stupid enough to start again after meeting a smoker.

Decided to try quit for good this time (didn't have this mindset last time since I was single etc.) as I want to quit before I have some kind of cancer and I don't want my kids paying my hospital bills to prolong my life by 1week+ in future when I'll be an old fart.

Last time I quit smoking on 2nd week as well, and stopped taking champix straight away due to bad sleeping patterns, although I joined a gym that time,and all I could think about at that time was to make gains day and night :D

I'll stay on champix 2-3 more days, and quit before finishing the course as it's making me quite drowsy and tired this time. I had sleepless nights for 2-3 days but these were related to work stress.
    Didn't have those effects last time (6 years ago) although I was younger and much,much more active.

I only went to gym 2 times in those 10 days and had irregular amounts of cheat days in my diet while on champix, although I don't count one hiking trip and fishing trip as exercise since I felt full of energy after those.
    My appetite was weird as well for first couple of days. Sometimes I didn't want to eat and had to stuff myself, and sometimes I had to stop myself from putting anymore food into myself.
    Weirdest thing was that I was craving sweets (not a sweet tooth at all generally) but every-time I'd try to eat some candy, I'd spit it out as I hate anything too sweet. Closest to sweets I can generally eat is a cheesecake but ones it's not chocolate.

I'll probably, or hopefully not report here again, but feel free to PM me if you're looking to quit or take champix. I want to continue support quitting smoking for the rest of my life :)

been 10 days+ off. Prior to fully quitting I started cutting 3-4 days before. Day before I quit I smoked exactly 3 puffs of cigarette throughout the day.
    My taste buds are off the charts!!! Cheap marked down strawberries tasted so sweet and aromatic like they were dipped in sugar and I have a very nice strawberry aftertaste in my mouth, my daughter said that that's how strawberries always taste and the ones I bought actually taste a little bland compared to what I bought before.

My sense of smell has increased as well. Now I can't stand or sit beside someone who smokes as they smell like an old ashtray that was left under the rain and then dried out. I'm walking by isles in shops and can smell a lot more sent than I used to.

Can't comment on my stamina or endurance as I've never had problems gassing out when exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

I quit for just over 3 months on Champix about 6 or 7 years ago. It definitely works and I don't blame Champix for going back on the smokes.

However, I found the side affects appalling. Theres a pretty vicious list of know effects in the pack and I swear I had nearly every one of them. The nightmares, complete energy drain to the extent that I had to sit down on the curb once walking down the road and the suicidal ideation are the ones that really stood out.

Part of the reason I was able to quit on Champix was because I didn't want to ever go through that again. Probably why it's taken me the 6 or 7 years to come around to trying to quit again.

On the bright side, they work, they alleviate craving hugely. Not everybody has the side affects as badly as I did either as this thread is testament to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ibstar wrote: »
    Now I can't stand or sit beside someone who smokes as they smell like an old ashtray that was left under the rain and then dried out.

Thats a good description of the smell. The nasty part is that when I smoked I could never smell it, its only when I quit that i realised how bad it was.

Advertisement