Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    Good article on Watt by Jerome on BFTB. Jerome is a really good technical coach from what i can tell and he's hugely impressed with Watts tape. Good article

Linky?

Yeah I agree completely.

John writes stupid articles that I usually scan over and then hit the comments. In fairness to john though if he wasn't writing crap there wouldn't be a new article every day

Out of curiousity does anyone use any other sites for news/discussion on the chargers? Can't stand bolt beat and just can't get into bolt talk

I go to the UT lots, Krasnovic is v good. Gehlken&Canepa too, Acee is pain in ass. Bolttalk forum used to be brilliant but there are some eejits on there now that I know to ignore, and I find that during the offseason the forum can get v quiet. I still look there daily though. BFTB I dip in and out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I go to the UT lots, Krasnovic is v good. Gehlken&Canepa too, Acee is pain in ass. Bolttalk forum used to be brilliant but there are some eejits on there now that I know to ignore, and I find that during the offseason the forum can get v quiet. I still look there daily though. BFTB I dip in and out of.

Is there a link to the UT that gets past the firewall, i used to read it lots but since they brought it in I've had to become selective on which articles i access.
    I used to like Accee but since TT arrived and he lost his inside source he's useless. Seems bitter with this new regime over him losing his priveleged position

Is there a link to the UT that gets past the firewall, i used to read it lots but since they brought it in I've had to become selective on which articles i access.
    I used to like Accee but since TT arrived and he lost his inside source he's useless. Seems bitter with this new regime over him losing his priveleged position

Open it in private window and bobs your uncle.... read as much as u want!!!.

• Advertisement

Did that work for you ok OAOB?.... reading lots of UT now I trust? must say I like Krasnovic alot. Hope they don't let him go like they did Sullivan and Paris.

Did that work for you ok OAOB?.... reading lots of UT now I trust? must say I like Krasnovic alot. Hope they don't let him go like they did Sullivan and Paris.

Yeah that tip has worked out great, thanks for it. Krasnovic and Gehlken are good, not enough stories to keep them busy at the minute.
    Quiet on the Chargers front at the minute. I've read a few articles on Carrethers lately, i'm liking the potential but think he'll need some good coaching. He's the right size for a nose tackle anyway but his production wasn't huge in college.

One thing that struck me and not sure why was that he could also be a pretty good Guard if they moved him across the line like they did with Dielman. Won't happen but i just think if a player needs coaching then the best person to get it from is coach D. Just a stupid thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just wondering how did favourite son of Baltimore Jarrett Johnson play last season? Leader in the linebacker corp and strong run defender? :) Or has he declined?

Was my favourite player in Baltimore when he was around.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Just wondering how did favourite son of Baltimore Jarrett Johnson play last season? Leader in the linebacker corp and strong run defender? :) Or has he declined?

Was my favourite player in Baltimore when he was around.

Welcome Mike!, he was banged up alot last yr missed quite a few games. But when 100% he is our run stuffing/seal the edge OLB. At his best we don't have anybody who can play like he does. I wonder though is there much left in the tank now. He has taken a pay cut to stay this season, I reckon he is a great mentor for the likes of Ingram and now Attaochu though. All in all he's a real solid teammate.

Yeah that tip has worked out great, thanks for it. Krasnovic and Gehlken are good, not enough stories to keep them busy at the minute.
    Quiet on the Chargers front at the minute. I've read a few articles on Carrethers lately, i'm liking the potential but think he'll need some good coaching. He's the right size for a nose tackle anyway but his production wasn't huge in college.

One thing that struck me and not sure why was that he could also be a pretty good Guard if they moved him across the line like they did with Dielman. Won't happen but i just think if a player needs coaching then the best person to get it from is coach D. Just a stupid thought

Interesting thought on moving him across to O but I don't see it. Funny enough I kinda wondered the same about Geathers last year, he plays too tall for D line but it might work on O line.

• Advertisement

So Brandon Flowers came in and flirted a bit last week. I was surprised to see him leave the building without agreeing to be a Bolt. Were he to come in our cornerback position becomes a position of strength which is a amazing considering where we were last yr with Derek Cox.

Flirting with flowers surprised me a lot, I think it means our coaches aren't sold on the current CBs. Verrett is only coming back from his surgery but as with all 1st round picks you would expect him to start. I really like wright but he definitely needs to improve, he showed progress through last year so hopefully he can keep that trend going. Williams has been earmarked as our nickel CB since being drafted and Ghee and marshall are depth.

Flowers would immediately be our no.1 CB but if we sign him I think it means we've given up on wright

Flirting with flowers surprised me a lot, I think it means our coaches aren't sold on the current CBs. Verrett is only coming back from his surgery but as with all 1st round picks you would expect him to start. I really like wright but he definitely needs to improve, he showed progress through last year so hopefully he can keep that trend going. Williams has been earmarked as our nickel CB since being drafted and Ghee and marshall are depth.

Flowers would immediately be our no.1 CB but if we sign him I think it means we've given up on wright

I dunno. Maybe they think Verrett will not be ready early on. If that's the case then right now we are looking at one of 3 starting opposite Wright i.e. Ghee, Marshall or Williams. And like you said Williams is prob front runner for slot/nickel corner. So it is not like we are full of riches.

I dunno. Maybe they think Verrett will not be ready early on. If that's the case then right now we are looking at one of 3 starting opposite Wright i.e. Ghee, Marshall or Williams. And like you said Williams is prob front runner for slot/nickel corner. So it is not like we are full of riches.

Well reading ESPN, Flowers is going to decide where to go this week, considering he hasn't visited anyone else we must be considered front runners for him.
    I think if we get him then Marshall becomes the man on the roster bubble.
    He'd definitely be a good addition to us but we'd probably end up the only team without a starting DB over 6foot

Well reading ESPN, Flowers is going to decide where to go this week, considering he hasn't visited anyone else we must be considered front runners for him.
    I think if we get him then Marshall becomes the man on the roster bubble.
    He'd definitely be a good addition to us but we'd probably end up the only team without a starting DB over 6foot

Has he not checked out another team no?... that's cool. I saw he had planned to goto the Vikings but cancelled it.

Yeah Marshall or Ghee I would have thought. Supposedly Ghee has some talent but is injured alot. I wonder might the likes of Cromartie (who was on PS last yr) or Davis (from Auburn) make it. Crezdon Butler is still on the roster too. Will be a good fight at corner spot. I guess Davis can be one for the PS if necessary.

Well we have Flowers anyway. It's nice to see us getting one of the highly rated free agents.
    The one year contract is good for both parties i think, Flowers reckons he can have a good season and earn top dollar next year, Chargers get a potentially top CB cheap for one year and we have cap money to re-sign him next year if it works out

Well we have Flowers anyway. It's nice to see us getting one of the highly rated free agents.
    The one year contract is good for both parties i think, Flowers reckons he can have a good season and earn top dollar next year, Chargers get a potentially top CB cheap for one year and we have cap money to re-sign him next year if it works out

This is amazing. How cool is TT to have Flowers visit and then get him on a 1 year prove it to me deal. In a years time Verrett and Williams will have a yr behind them so even if Flowers does not pan out/show his form of old we have 2 young bucks ready to step up. I still think Shareece can be the answer at one of the corner spots.

Competition at corner is fierce now. Could be the end of Marshall.

I'm hoping flowers can be a good mentor to verrett, very similar physically.
    Good competition at CB but whether we have quality is still up for discussion.
    The longer TT is in the job the more impressive he becomes I think

I'm hoping flowers can be a good mentor to verrett, very similar physically.
    Good competition at CB but whether we have quality is still up for discussion.
    The longer TT is in the job the more impressive he becomes I think

Agree... also I see Flowers did in fact visit the 49ers before he visited SD. Interesting & nice to see that he chose us over them.

I reckon he was too late into the FA market to get top dollar so decided a one year contract was best for this year. He's guaranteed to start for us so he gets more exposure this way. Suits us anyway.

Any predictions on the RG position? Not clary I hope

• Advertisement

I reckon he was too late into the FA market to get top dollar so decided a one year contract was best for this year. He's guaranteed to start for us so he gets more exposure this way. Suits us anyway.

Any predictions on the RG position? Not clary I hope

I can't see how Clary remains the starter at RG esp at his cost. He'll at the v least take a pay cut and come back and compete with Watt/Troutman. I think he is history esp with the health concerns this offseason.

I like clarys work ethic and drive, is popular and a leader in the locker room but eventually that's not enough.
    I wouldn't even keep him if he took a pay cut as watt and troutman have bigger upsides

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Farewell Larry, and hello Woodie! 2 year extension for Danny Woodhead, that is bound to heap pressure on Mathews to perform well this year! Thoughts?

Shane.C wrote: »
    Farewell Larry, and hello Woodie! 2 year extension for Danny Woodhead, that is bound to heap pressure on Mathews to perform well this year! Thoughts?

I guess Larry was gona be cut during training camp anyway so letting him go now is fairer to him. Seemed like a good lad but was never 100% seemingly. Although even if he had been fit from the get go I'm sure he had the ability to begin with. He was another disastrous reach by the declining AJ.

As for Woody delighted to hear about the extension and surprised too. This extension won't make a diff to Ryan though. Ryan is the workhorse, Woody is the nice to have 3rd down, receiving type back. Donald Brown is more the threat to Ryan as the lead back.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Jonas Mouton LB released, and Clary placed on the PUP list!

Shane.C wrote: »
    Jonas Mouton LB released, and Clary placed on the PUP list!

That lad Mouton has to have been the worst draft pick of AJ era. I was watching live when it happened and I almost fell off the chair. Talk about a reach. He was a 5th rounder at best. What a total waste.

Amazing that Clary is hanging on in there. Whatever about his great attitude/leadership ability etc... he is not a starting caliber guard. Simple as that. And to compound matters he is costing a fortune.

Jaysus it's been a while since I've been this optimistic about a season lads....

TT sure is getting rid of AJ's busts one after another. Heck even McCoy is whispering that even if Clary comes back he might be the starter which means either he takes big pay cut or he is gone.

Loving the reported competition at training camp. There are gonna be some real good players who don't make this roster and that is a v good thing to be able to say. Players like Davis (who I'd keep over Ghee for example) or Darby (the safety) or Watts (the massive guard) may not stick. Watts might make it to the PS but he won't last long there, same goes for the other 2.

Fingers crossed no serious injuries (although I hear Vincent Brown is down again, Inman might b better bet anyway).

Jaysus it's been a while since I've been this optimistic about a season lads....

TT sure is getting rid of AJ's busts one after another. Heck even McCoy is whispering that even if Clary comes back he might be the starter which means either he takes big pay cut or he is gone.

Loving the reported competition at training camp. There are gonna be some real good players who don't make this roster and that is a v good thing to be able to say. Players like Davis (who I'd keep over Ghee for example) or Darby (the safety) or Watts (the massive guard) may not stick. Watts might make it to the PS but he won't last long there, same goes for the other 2.

Fingers crossed no serious injuries (although I hear Vincent Brown is down again, Inman might b better bet anyway).

Yeah I'm optimistic we'll be a good team this year. I think a clear sign of how far we've come under Telesco and McCoy is that I now think of where we need to strengthen to compete for a superbowl instead of just being competitive during the regular season. Its a huge turn around from a year ago.

If we consider our full strength roster I think the QB and RB situation are sorted.
    TE looks good with Gates still being above average if not elite, Green is very exciting but has really proved nothing yet.
    WR is Allen and then a committee of guys vying for the no.2. Reports on Floyd are that he's as good as before injury, Brown is going to frustrate us with his potential and lack of production, Royal will be solid amd if he can practice throughout the year then hopefully even better. I presume Reese and Inman battle it out but it'll be hard to fit 6 on the roster. Last year we had Tutu who was pretty good as a gunner on STs, it would be great if one of these lads could do it.

I think our offensive line has a lot of competition but not sure of the overall quality, i do like the idea of eventually having a Watt and Watts as the guards, sounds cool. I think we'll be a solid unit but never dominate with these guys.

Our D-line is a worry, we have very few true starter caliber guys and i think we'll be looking closely at cuts from other teams. Reyes has to pick up his game big time, he's flashed potential and it's a big year for him. I'm not convinced by Lissemore at NT, plays hard but he just hasn't the size of a Wilfork to hold the position.

I think we could do with another ILB, Butler and T'eo to start and Conner as back up but no injury cover. Still better than having Bront Bird.

OLB is sorted and i really think could be an area of strength for us. Ingram, Freeney, Attaochu, JJ, Williams and possibly Law. Cut Keiser, that bull**** at the nightclub isn't worth the hassle.

Safety is a good battle at the moment, Darby has it all to do to make the cut as i think we carry the same 4 as last year.
    CB is surprisingly healthy looking with Flowers, Verrett, Wright, Williams and then Ghee/Marshall/Davis/Butler.

Hopefully a few other lads will put their hands up during training camp and pre-season.

We were lucky with injuries last year and need that again. I don't think we'll be world beaters this year but if we can continue building momentum from last year and find a few more starter quality players we won't be far off.

Yeah I'm optimistic we'll be a good team this year. I think a clear sign of how far we've come under Telesco and McCoy is that I now think of where we need to strengthen to compete for a superbowl instead of just being competitive during the regular season. Its a huge turn around from a year ago.

If we consider our full strength roster I think the QB and RB situation are sorted.
    TE looks good with Gates still being above average if not elite, Green is very exciting but has really proved nothing yet.
    WR is Allen and then a committee of guys vying for the no.2. Reports on Floyd are that he's as good as before injury, Brown is going to frustrate us with his potential and lack of production, Royal will be solid amd if he can practice throughout the year then hopefully even better. I presume Reese and Inman battle it out but it'll be hard to fit 6 on the roster. Last year we had Tutu who was pretty good as a gunner on STs, it would be great if one of these lads could do it.

I think our offensive line has a lot of competition but not sure of the overall quality, i do like the idea of eventually having a Watt and Watts as the guards, sounds cool. I think we'll be a solid unit but never dominate with these guys.

Our D-line is a worry, we have very few true starter caliber guys and i think we'll be looking closely at cuts from other teams. Reyes has to pick up his game big time, he's flashed potential and it's a big year for him. I'm not convinced by Lissemore at NT, plays hard but he just hasn't the size of a Wilfork to hold the position.

I think we could do with another ILB, Butler and T'eo to start and Conner as back up but no injury cover. Still better than having Bront Bird.

OLB is sorted and i really think could be an area of strength for us. Ingram, Freeney, Attaochu, JJ, Williams and possibly Law. Cut Keiser, that bull**** at the nightclub isn't worth the hassle.

Safety is a good battle at the moment, Darby has it all to do to make the cut as i think we carry the same 4 as last year.
    CB is surprisingly healthy looking with Flowers, Verrett, Wright, Williams and then Ghee/Marshall/Davis/Butler.

Hopefully a few other lads will put their hands up during training camp and pre-season.

We were lucky with injuries last year and need that again. I don't think we'll be world beaters this year but if we can continue building momentum from last year and find a few more starter quality players we won't be far off.

Gr8 post OAOB. Good to see you've survived/are surviving Sth America.

For me Inman needs to show he can gun ala Tutu on special teams. I'm figuring Inman is a superior WR but to be that 5th or 6th wideout you need to be good on STs. Tutu has made a name for himself there, pity he ain't so good at WR. Reese is a lock to make it on speed, kick return ability alone, even if KR is newish to him. We were so poor there last yr, speed is an improvement at least.

Looks like Watt will be the man at RG. Interesting seeing as he was a LG in college. It's a bit of a change but not insurmountable and must be great to play between Nick and Fluke. Clary has taken the pay cut at last. Looks like he is destined to be backup at best thankfully.

U are right about injuries too, a couple of bad ones and our depth will be tested bigtime.

• Advertisement

Home from South America a few weeks, some spot.

Was looking at the ESPN mock draft here and at the moment i think it's pretty close to my own thoughts.
    Few changes would be
    • We carry 6 WRs and 3 TEs
    • Clary will make the team over Smith, especially after the pay cut
    • If Lissemore is our NT then they have us carrying 3 NTs and 3 DEs, doesn't make sense
    • Walker only makes the team as an ILB, can he play there?
    • Marshall our best CB in camp????? SH!T!

I think there's about 8 spots between the WRs, TEs, LBs and DBs that will be decided by ST play so hard to call them at this point

Home from South America a few weeks, some spot.

Was looking at the ESPN mock draft here and at the moment i think it's pretty close to my own thoughts.
    Few changes would be
    • We carry 6 WRs and 3 TEs
    • Clary will make the team over Smith, especially after the pay cut
    • If Lissemore is our NT then they have us carrying 3 NTs and 3 DEs, doesn't make sense
    • Walker only makes the team as an ILB, can he play there?
    • Marshall our best CB in camp????? SH!T!

I think there's about 8 spots between the WRs, TEs, LBs and DBs that will be decided by ST play so hard to call them at this point

Yeah was surprised to see Willie Smith on that roster. Can't see Geathers making it to be honest. He looked terrible last yr so unless he has learned something and applied it he has to be a goner. The UDFA Palepoi is prob better than him. Reggie Walker for me is a bit undersized to play ILB but he is a real gamer. Apparently Marshall was still recovering from injury when he came to us and only now is he 100%, he was a v good corner back in the day. Not sure I see him starting over Wright and Flowers but he is great backup/cover. Gachkar is prob ahead of him as cover at ILB I would have thought but Walker is more adaptable i.e. can play OLB too. I'd like to see us keep Davis and Watts but I can see our PS being raided lots.

Let's say we keep 6 WRs on the roster.... Who will they be?

Go!!!!!!..............

FWIW here are my 6;

Allen
    M80
    Royal
    Reese
    Tutu
    Inman

Allen
    Malcolm
    Royal
    Brown
    Reese
    Tutu

Inman has impressed with his work aethic but read that he dropped a few balls that he should have caught. I think Brown gets another shot.

Allen
    Malcolm
    Royal
    Brown
    Reese
    Tutu

Inman has impressed with his work aethic but read that he dropped a few balls that he should have caught. I think Brown gets another shot.

I reckon last spot is between Tutu and Brown, and Tutu wins due to his special teams play.

I'm going to presume tutu gets in on STs and Brown and Inmam fight it out.

Hope we carry tutu gachkar and stuckey specifically for STs. There are a few return options with reese, verret and I'd imagine steve Williams possibly. I always worry about our STs after that disaster a few years ago

• Advertisement

I'm going to presume tutu gets in on STs and Brown and Inmam fight it out.

Hope we carry tutu gachkar and stuckey specifically for STs. There are a few return options with reese, verret and I'd imagine steve Williams possibly. I always worry about our STs after that disaster a few years ago

Just u and me round here then OAOB?, the other lads must be getting the last of the holidays sorted before the season kicks off.

Quiet enough here but with preseason games starting soon we'll hopefully get a few people return

Quiet enough here but with preseason games starting soon we'll hopefully get a few people return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone staying up for this tonight. I won't be able to, but if anyone is a summary would be greatly appreciated

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Anyone staying up for this tonight. I won't be able to, but if anyone is a summary would be greatly appreciated

I'm not.. gona watch it on gamepass tomorrow/sat morn. Looking forward to seeing the backup WRs and corners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I probably will watch it. Hoping for an injury free game. We seem to have picked up a couple of potentially bad ones ( Flowers, Liuget, Watt) but nothing major yet ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Need our Dline to stay healthy this year.
    Only thing to see from this game is probably any gems to be found in the rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Offense
    First drive was great besides a penalty on King Dunlap and the fumble. Was hit with the helmet. It happens.

Second drive was some good running. Oliver looks good.

Defense
    Missed first drive

Second drive was a couple of close calls, not overly worried about anything. Holding out a bunch of starters; Liuget, Flowers and Verrett

Have only seem some highlights but on the face of it Oliver might make the 53 at expense of Grice who could goto PS. Many bigging up the O line which is good to hear. We are v short on D line I can see us making use of other teams cuts in the near future. Liuget goes down and we have pretty much nothing. We will be run over.

Was away for the last few days so didn't get to see the game or any reports yet.
    Any bad injuries? Anyone play their way in or out of the 53?

Was away for the last few days so didn't get to see the game or any reports yet.
    Any bad injuries? Anyone play their way in or out of the 53?

Only the 1 injury thus far to Lawrence Guy. We are lacking on the D line bigtime. It's our weakest position group by far.

Branden Oliver played well v Dallas but Dallas are v poor so I'm not reading a whole lot into it. He did outplay Grice though. I thought Troutman looked very strong esp run blocking. Our run D was manhandled by the Dallas starting O line, we were missing Liuget though. Brandon Flowers practiced yesterday for the first time in about 5 days. Looks like Verret is close, he is still wearing the red jersey though. All in all Offense looked v good and D, esp run D was poor. Plenty of missed tackles on D too.

Tackling has been a weak point with us for a while so not really surprised.
    Any of the WRs show anything? I saw Inmans TD but it looked like a poor defence as much as him

Tackling has been a weak point with us for a while so not really surprised.
    Any of the WRs show anything? I saw Inmans TD but it looked like a poor defence as much as him

Yeah wouldn't read too much into the WR output. The guy Inman beat for the long TD hadn't even practiced with the Cowboys prior to the game apparently!!. One of the things I found interesting though was that neither Keenan or Malcom were targeted once. They were out there on that 1 series but just running dummy routes.

Having said that Inman looks like a guy who will make the 53. Looks like Reece is on thin ice now and best he can hope for is PS. His bobbling the ball on KRs (in practice) is especially disappointing.

It will be interesting to see what happens with reece, no guarantee he'd clear waivers to get on the PS and its on record that we want to get faster and he's a real speedster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

One of the things I found interesting though was that neither Keenan or Malcom were targeted once. They were out there on that 1 series but just running dummy routes.

It's interesting you say that about your top two WR's as neither Cruz nor Randle have received a target from Eli in the two pre-season games so far.

Is there a logic to this do you know (not wanting to tip your gameplan etc.) or is it just coincidence on the limited plays that the guys you want to get the ball to are not open

• Advertisement
Advertisement