Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    Home from South America a few weeks, some spot.

Was looking at the ESPN mock draft here and at the moment i think it's pretty close to my own thoughts.
    Few changes would be
    • We carry 6 WRs and 3 TEs
    • Clary will make the team over Smith, especially after the pay cut
    • If Lissemore is our NT then they have us carrying 3 NTs and 3 DEs, doesn't make sense
    • Walker only makes the team as an ILB, can he play there?
    • Marshall our best CB in camp????? SH!T!

I think there's about 8 spots between the WRs, TEs, LBs and DBs that will be decided by ST play so hard to call them at this point

Yeah was surprised to see Willie Smith on that roster. Can't see Geathers making it to be honest. He looked terrible last yr so unless he has learned something and applied it he has to be a goner. The UDFA Palepoi is prob better than him. Reggie Walker for me is a bit undersized to play ILB but he is a real gamer. Apparently Marshall was still recovering from injury when he came to us and only now is he 100%, he was a v good corner back in the day. Not sure I see him starting over Wright and Flowers but he is great backup/cover. Gachkar is prob ahead of him as cover at ILB I would have thought but Walker is more adaptable i.e. can play OLB too. I'd like to see us keep Davis and Watts but I can see our PS being raided lots.

Let's say we keep 6 WRs on the roster.... Who will they be?

Go!!!!!!..............

FWIW here are my 6;

Allen
    M80
    Royal
    Reese
    Tutu
    Inman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Allen
    Malcolm
    Royal
    Brown
    Reese
    Tutu

Inman has impressed with his work aethic but read that he dropped a few balls that he should have caught. I think Brown gets another shot.

Allen
    Malcolm
    Royal
    Brown
    Reese
    Tutu

Inman has impressed with his work aethic but read that he dropped a few balls that he should have caught. I think Brown gets another shot.

I reckon last spot is between Tutu and Brown, and Tutu wins due to his special teams play.

I'm going to presume tutu gets in on STs and Brown and Inmam fight it out.

Hope we carry tutu gachkar and stuckey specifically for STs. There are a few return options with reese, verret and I'd imagine steve Williams possibly. I always worry about our STs after that disaster a few years ago

• Advertisement

I'm going to presume tutu gets in on STs and Brown and Inmam fight it out.

Hope we carry tutu gachkar and stuckey specifically for STs. There are a few return options with reese, verret and I'd imagine steve Williams possibly. I always worry about our STs after that disaster a few years ago

Just u and me round here then OAOB?, the other lads must be getting the last of the holidays sorted before the season kicks off.

Quiet enough here but with preseason games starting soon we'll hopefully get a few people return

Quiet enough here but with preseason games starting soon we'll hopefully get a few people return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone staying up for this tonight. I won't be able to, but if anyone is a summary would be greatly appreciated

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Anyone staying up for this tonight. I won't be able to, but if anyone is a summary would be greatly appreciated

I'm not.. gona watch it on gamepass tomorrow/sat morn. Looking forward to seeing the backup WRs and corners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I probably will watch it. Hoping for an injury free game. We seem to have picked up a couple of potentially bad ones ( Flowers, Liuget, Watt) but nothing major yet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Need our Dline to stay healthy this year.
    Only thing to see from this game is probably any gems to be found in the rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Offense
    First drive was great besides a penalty on King Dunlap and the fumble. Was hit with the helmet. It happens.

Second drive was some good running. Oliver looks good.

Defense
    Missed first drive

Second drive was a couple of close calls, not overly worried about anything. Holding out a bunch of starters; Liuget, Flowers and Verrett

Have only seem some highlights but on the face of it Oliver might make the 53 at expense of Grice who could goto PS. Many bigging up the O line which is good to hear. We are v short on D line I can see us making use of other teams cuts in the near future. Liuget goes down and we have pretty much nothing. We will be run over.

Was away for the last few days so didn't get to see the game or any reports yet.
    Any bad injuries? Anyone play their way in or out of the 53?

Was away for the last few days so didn't get to see the game or any reports yet.
    Any bad injuries? Anyone play their way in or out of the 53?

Only the 1 injury thus far to Lawrence Guy. We are lacking on the D line bigtime. It's our weakest position group by far.

Branden Oliver played well v Dallas but Dallas are v poor so I'm not reading a whole lot into it. He did outplay Grice though. I thought Troutman looked very strong esp run blocking. Our run D was manhandled by the Dallas starting O line, we were missing Liuget though. Brandon Flowers practiced yesterday for the first time in about 5 days. Looks like Verret is close, he is still wearing the red jersey though. All in all Offense looked v good and D, esp run D was poor. Plenty of missed tackles on D too.

Tackling has been a weak point with us for a while so not really surprised.
    Any of the WRs show anything? I saw Inmans TD but it looked like a poor defence as much as him

Tackling has been a weak point with us for a while so not really surprised.
    Any of the WRs show anything? I saw Inmans TD but it looked like a poor defence as much as him

Yeah wouldn't read too much into the WR output. The guy Inman beat for the long TD hadn't even practiced with the Cowboys prior to the game apparently!!. One of the things I found interesting though was that neither Keenan or Malcom were targeted once. They were out there on that 1 series but just running dummy routes.

Having said that Inman looks like a guy who will make the 53. Looks like Reece is on thin ice now and best he can hope for is PS. His bobbling the ball on KRs (in practice) is especially disappointing.

It will be interesting to see what happens with reece, no guarantee he'd clear waivers to get on the PS and its on record that we want to get faster and he's a real speedster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Leslie91 wrote: »
    One of the things I found interesting though was that neither Keenan or Malcom were targeted once. They were out there on that 1 series but just running dummy routes.

It's interesting you say that about your top two WR's as neither Cruz nor Randle have received a target from Eli in the two pre-season games so far.

Is there a logic to this do you know (not wanting to tip your gameplan etc.) or is it just coincidence on the limited plays that the guys you want to get the ball to are not open

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It's interesting you say that about your top two WR's as neither Cruz nor Randle have received a target from Eli in the two pre-season games so far.

Is there a logic to this do you know (not wanting to tip your gameplan etc.) or is it just coincidence on the limited plays that the guys you want to get the ball to are not open

In our case I'd imagine it was decided that 'let's not bother throwing to the guys we know can do it, instead let's try run it/throw to the new guys'. I reckon we might see some balls coming their ways game 2 and esp game 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Nasty beatdown by the Seahawks. Can we take anything from it?

setanta74 wrote: »
    Nasty beatdown by the Seahawks. Can we take anything from it?

U mean anything good right?

Cos there is plenty of bad.

I guess one can always say it was just another preseason game that can be kind of meaningless but........

That does not disguise the fact that our D line is less than paper thin. We're getting manhandled up there so I'd imagine Tom will be actively scouring the waiver wire over the next 2 weeks for some solid beef. Reyes has been a huge disappointment, he gets out-muscled continuously.

It'll be a long year if the D line can't get their act together.

Te'o injured again. For a lad who hardly missed a beat in college he sure seems to be having some 'bad luck'. At least this year it is not Bront Bird to come in for him.

Must say I hate the new 'do not touch a receiver' rule. It is ridiculous and the call on Flowers was a joke. Here's hoping the officials cop themselves on in that regard.

Well our first team offence looks fine but the defence was useless. Front 7 really need to step it up but I don't think we've the quality on the dline.
    Our safeties were abused too

Well our first team offence looks fine but the defence was useless. Front 7 really need to step it up but I don't think we've the quality on the dline.
    Our safeties were abused too

U mean Stuckey primarily right?

Jeez mobile QBs really kill us. It's like we should play a spy permanently, somebody like Addae maybe. Thankfully only Alex Smith is anyway mobile in our division.

Liuget played like a man possessed. Thought Conner looked better than Te'o ever has. Steve Williams was abused 4 plays in a row. Fluker was only so so he can be much better. D line depth is wiped out. I guess there will be at least 1 D lineman on this 53 that is not on team today... Yer man Worthington did ok for a guy who only arrived Thursday. Looks like he has the body shape for DE, big strong dude, not fat.

I only watched until the starters were pulled but thought offensively we looked great until we got to the red zone and struggled again there. I hope it's a case of not showing our hand until the regular season.
    The flip side is SF have a lot of defensive injuries at the moment so we must keep that in mind.
    The defence looked a whole lot better this week, hopefully corey can keep that production up as he bullied everyone he met last night.

I only watched until the starters were pulled but thought offensively we looked great until we got to the red zone and struggled again there. I hope it's a case of not showing our hand until the regular season.
    The flip side is SF have a lot of defensive injuries at the moment so we must keep that in mind.
    The defence looked a whole lot better this week, hopefully corey can keep that production up as he bullied everyone he met last night.

Not many surprises in initial cuts apart from the fact that Geathers went from 'not to badly injured' to IR in the blink of an eye. We let go some good TEs in my opinion and Flacco remains, I don't get that one.

Ghee sure didn't last long in the end. The arrival of Verrett in the draft and Flowers a bit later really put paid to his chances I guess.

Watched some of the 49er game again and thought Troutman looked poor enough. He was always a LG in college and early on, maybe he will never make it at RG. Interestingly his main competitor for the spot, Chris Watt, only played LG in college too.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed with Ghee, reports were that if he was healthy he'd be good but he never showed up.
    In other news Derek Cox cut by vikings and signed by ravens, they must be desperate

Advertisement