Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Can anyone explain this to me? I have used 10 syns a day but I am going out tomorrow night so I'd like a few drinkies. Can I use the 5 syns per day that I didn't use?? on top of tomorrows 15?

And also a seperate query: Would you lose weight if you eat the 15 syns a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

miss choc wrote: »
    I was out today and had lunch/dinner I was craving pasta and had ravioli in tomato sauce with salad. I've a feeling it would be synned cos all stuffed pastas probably are. I guess all those pastas in the chilled cabinet in Tesco, Lidi etc are synned too.
    How can you tell if the restaurant is using dried or fresh pasta?? If I ask waiter they will probably say it's fresh as they have a reputation but to be honest I would prefer it dried pasta. Dont want to limit myself to steak and chicken in an Italian I love my pasta :lvs Does anyone know of restaurants/cafe in Dublin that do the fresh pasta so I could avoid them even better if they do dry pasta so I can eat in them. All those holidays in Italy the restaurants serving all that fresh pasta yum :eek

All fresh pasta has to be synned because of the oils that are used in it's making I read somewhere recently.
    Can anyone explain this to me? I have used 10 syns a day but I am going out tomorrow night so I'd like a few drinkies. Can I use the 5 syns per day that I didn't use?? on top of tomorrows 15?

And also a seperate query: Would you lose weight if you eat the 15 syns a day?

Yes it is possible to eat 5 syns per day and loose weight.
    They say you are not mean to carry syns over but if I know I have a night out planned then I try to limit myself to 10 syns per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Fiona wrote: »

Yes it is possible to eat 5 syns per day and loose weight.
    They say you are not mean to carry syns over but if I know I have a night out planned then I try to limit myself to 10 syns per day.

Lovely thank you. I ate no Syns a day or 2 and 15 twice so I'll be a little bit bold tomorrow night & then extra good on Sunday & Monday. Moderation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Flexible Syns (in our group anyway) means if you have a night off just get back on the program the next day. I have 10 - 20 Syns per day and am steadily losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mojo1988

Hey everybody,

I'm new to SW (only started last Wednesday) My friend started it 4 months ago and so far has lost over 2 and a half stone!!! So needless to say I'm jumping on the bandwagon :-) Just wondering what everyone does excersise-wise? One lady at the SW meeting told me about ' 30 day shred ' I'm on day 3 of it now,and it's tough. The body is feeling it,which is a good thing. Excersise wasn't really mention in my first meeting,so just looking for a bit of guidance really :-)

mojo1988 wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

I'm new to SW (only started last Wednesday) My friend started it 4 months ago and so far has lost over 2 and a half stone!!! So needless to say I'm jumping on the bandwagon :-) Just wondering what everyone does excersise-wise? One lady at the SW meeting told me about ' 30 day shred ' I'm on day 3 of it now,and it's tough. The body is feeling it,which is a good thing. Excersise wasn't really mention in my first meeting,so just looking for a bit of guidance really :-)

I do no exercise, down 2 stone in roughly 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Hey everybody,

So far I've been doing no exercise and I've lost 1 1/2 stone in about 8 weeks. I'm putting off the inevitability of exercise until my losing slows down through diet alone.

That's amazing ladies!!! It's just so hard to believe there's a diet out there, where you can eat potatoes and pasta,and still get amazing results!! I'll be bricking it for my first weight in :-)

That's amazing ladies!!! It's just so hard to believe there's a diet out there, where you can eat potatoes and pasta,and still get amazing results!! I'll be bricking it for my first weight in :-)

Ladies comment aside as last time I was sitting here scratching my balls I was a fat bloke, you're cutting out almost all the fat and drastically reducing your carb intake unless you're pasta/potato mad.

I don't think I've eaten a slice of bread in six weeks and my alcohol intake is way down. All worth it as I'm always full, loving the food and not missing the beer that much.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Ladies comment aside as last time I was sitting here scratching my balls I was a fat bloke, you're cutting out almost all the fat and drastically reducing your carb intake unless you're pasta/potato mad.

I don't think I've eaten a slice of bread in six weeks and my alcohol intake is way down. All worth it as I'm always full, loving the food and not missing the beer that much.

Ha! I was just going to say I think there is quite a few guys clocking up great losses too! It is amazing and I have been eating bread, nearly everyday. I love my sandwiches for lunch but even with that I'm still losing. I feel that soon it will stop being so easy and I'll have to start exercising but that's to be expected

• Advertisement

That was very presumptuous of me, I sincerely apologize :-) It's great to see and hear about a diet that seems to work. Roll on Wednesday :-)

That was very presumptuous of me, I sincerely apologize :-) It's great to see and hear about a diet that seems to work. Roll on Wednesday :-)

I'm not offended - it's 99% women that attend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Hi guys, love this diet feel extremely full, no cravings and lost 8 1/2 lbs my first wk, have my next weigh in tomorrow. I don't feel much lighter this wk but have done 2 spinning classes and 2 workouts and followed diet religiously so hoping for another good loss. x

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

Hi guys, love this diet feel extremely full, no cravings and lost 8 1/2 lbs my first wk, have my next weigh in tomorrow. I don't feel much lighter this wk but have done 2 spinning classes and 2 workouts and followed diet religiously so hoping for another good loss. x

Good luck prettyinpink! I have my 2nd weigh-in tonight too but not very optimistic. TOM and a bit of a wobble food wise at the weekend. If I stay the same as last week (6LB down) I'll be a happy bunny. Looking forward to a better week this week.

Something I felt needed saying; don't expect 3-7lb losses every week. Your first week or two are going to be great losses and then it's going to slow down. The point is to make permanent changes that mean you lose weight and keep it off.

Frankly it's not healthy to be losing more than 2lb a week on a consistent basis and with SW you won't once you normalise to the diet. I'm seeing huge amounts of enthusiasm here and that great but it's better to edge in slowly, understanding the diet and doing a small amount of extra exercise than going all guns blazing and quitting after a month or two.

This is a long term change and don't do anything you're not going to stick to.

Just my 2 cents.

PS Also be aware that exercise may well impede your weight loss for the first while. Your muscles will retain fluid. I'm not saying don't do it, your fitness levels will thank you but go easy and make permanent changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I have my second weigh in tomorrow night. Lost 4lb last week but not sure how this one is going to go. I had a Chinese last week and went a bit mad, have been great since that but I hopped up on my own scales(I know I shouldn't) and I'm half a pound up!!!:( could one take away mess up a whole week???

Gee_G wrote: »
    I have my second weigh in tomorrow night. Lost 4lb last week but not sure how this one is going to go. I had a Chinese last week and went a bit mad, have been great since that but I hopped up on my own scales(I know I shouldn't) and I'm half a pound up!!!:( could one take away mess up a whole week???

Maybe, it depends how you're engaging with the rest of the diet. It could be you're making mistakes, run your food intake by the group, simple things like eating the wrong yogurts can be a problem.

Also it very much depends on when you weigh yourself, you will vary quite a bit during the day. Added to that the SW scales are proper calibrated scales, my bathroom scales tell me I'm a different weight depending on where my feet are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I have lapsed on slimming world for about a month - when i rejoin do I have to pay a rejoining fee or I also have a voucher from a magazine that is in date till the 3rd of February can I use this?

Bepolite wrote: »
    Maybe, it depends how you're engaging with the rest of the diet. It could be you're making mistakes, run your food intake by the group, simple things like eating the wrong yogurts can be a problem.

Also it very much depends on when you weigh yourself, you will vary quite a bit during the day. Added to that the SW scales are proper calibrated scales, my bathroom scales tell me I'm a different weight depending on where my feet are!

This is my third attempt at slimming world and I can honestly say this is the first time I fully understand the whole free, super free, superspeed thing. I am measuring my milk, not eating out of place at all. (And i dont like yogurts :) )Maybe the take away can do that much damage! Will see tomorrow anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Dreading WI tomorrow night. I went on a bit of a tear Friday night - drank far too much and ate loads of crisps! :(
    Been extremely good since so would be happy with a STS, fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Put on a dress this morning that was a bit too tight before, and it's looser around the middle :D

Hopefully that's a good sign for my WI tonight (even if I did have lots of wine and some chips on Saturday...)

So I weighed in last night and was up 0.5 Lb. A little bit disappointed but I know there are good reasons why I didn't loose, mainly TOM (learned last night they call it a *star* week in SW, in case any blokes get offended!).

Looking back at my week I think I may have been a bit complacent and let a few things over the weekend slide (like not Syning Nando's Mash, Letting the odd "dash" (aka 100mls) of milk in coffee slide etc.). So to doubly make sure I stay on track this week I'm defo going to make sure I put everything into my online food diary!

Interestingly I also learned from other members last night that increasing your exercise can sometimes bring on a slight weight gain. I started back jogging last week and did 2 x 20mins runs for the first time in about 2 months, on top of the usual swimming and pilates class so that may be playing a part too...?

All in all I'm determined to have a great week and hopefully get my first half stone next week! :D

I was wondering.... our class seems to go on for an AGE... like nearly an hour as the leader goes through a roll call of everyone and speaks to everyone in the class. It usually means between paying/weighing/ waiting around and then the talk I am there for nearly 1.5 hours. Is this normal? I do believe in staying but really a whole hour?

new2tri wrote: »
    So I weighed in last night and was up 0.5 Lb. A little bit disappointed but I know there are good reasons why I didn't loose, mainly TOM (learned last night they call it a *star* week in SW, in case any blokes get offended!).

Looking back at my week I think I may have been a bit complacent and let a few things over the weekend slide (like not Syning Nando's Mash, Letting the odd "dash" (aka 100mls) of milk in coffee slide etc.). So to doubly make sure I stay on track this week I'm defo going to make sure I put everything into my online food diary!

Interestingly I also learned from other members last night that increasing your exercise can sometimes bring on a slight weight gain. I started back jogging last week and did 2 x 20mins runs for the first time in about 2 months, on top of 1 x swimming and 1 x pilates class so that may be playing a part too...?

All in all I'm determined to have a great week and hopefully get my first hald stone next week! :D

I was wondering.... our class seems to go on for an AGE... like nearly an hour as the leader goes through a roll call of everyone and speaks to everyone in the class. It usually means between paying/weighing/ waiting around and then the talk I am there for nearly 1.5 hours. Is this normal? I do believe in staying but really a whole hour?
    Our group goes on for that long too. The weigh in is for half an hour and then an hour talk. It is long enough but I do find it good listening to other peoples tips and recipes etc. I won't be able to stay every week for the talk but I'm going to try.

Gee_G wrote: »
    Our group goes on for that long too. The weigh in is for half an hour and then an hour talk. It is long enough but I do find it good listening to other peoples tips and recipes etc. I won't be able to stay every week for the talk but I'm going to try.

Ours goes on for ages too! The leader goes through everyone in the class and it's a nice little buzz getting a clap for whatever loss you've had :)
    I used never stay for the meeting when I was in WW but then again I had no belief/interest/determination in WW. Have to say Slimming World is so much better and you can pick up a lot of hints and tips at the meetings, so it's good to stay and I hope to stay for all my meetings if at all possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

First weigh in tonight after joining last week down 6 pounds so thrilled :)

• Advertisement

First weigh in tonight after joining last week down 6 pounds so thrilled :)

Well done! That's a brilliant start! :)
    Good on you! :)

I'm down 2 tonight - delighted because I had one really bad night! Sigh of relief! :D

I'm down 1.5lb. Pretty happy with that as I thought I was the same.

First weight in after joining, and down 5 1/2 pounds! Absolutely delighted,and that included a night of liqueur! Happy days,,,,just wish I started earlier :-)

Down half a pound tonight. Really wanted/expected more, but I did have two 'off' days this week for a special occasion so I should really just be grateful that it wasn't a gain.

I joined on January 4th (2 and a half weeks ago) and I've only lost 3.5 pounds. I really want that big huge loss that everyone seems to get in their first week or two! I want that big boost!

I would love 3.5 off next week, as I'd set 4 weeks as my goal to lose the first half stone. Going to stick to plan 100%. And no alcohol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

Hi folks, I've been keeping an eye on this thread and congrats to all of you on the amazing losses you have been achieving. I joined last week with a loss of two pounds last night. I felt I stuck rigidly to the plan so was a little surprised it wasn't more on my first week. I have also started an exercise programme so maybe that is restricting the weightloss slightly. Can you tell me has anybody experienced this slow start in the past but it accellerated later in the process? cheers

• Advertisement

wha wrote: »
    Down half a pound tonight. Really wanted/expected more, but I did have two 'off' days this week for a special occasion so I should really just be grateful that it wasn't a gain.

I joined on January 4th (2 and a half weeks ago) and I've only lost 3.5 pounds. I really want that big huge loss that everyone seems to get in their first week or two! I want that big boost!

I would love 3.5 off next week, as I'd set 4 weeks as my goal to lose the first half stone. Going to stick to plan 100%. And no alcohol!!

Slow and steady is good too, at least it's consistent. I lost 3lbs my first week but I've been pretty steady since. I'm sure you'll lose you 1/2 by your target!

I have to say I hate the post mortem every week it goes on so long!

All very quiet here! How's everyone doing?

I've had a really good week - not sure how many LBs I'll be down tonight, but I definitely feel better and think I look like I've lost a bit (not that anyone except me would notice yet!)

Down 1/2 lb last night. My losses have really dwindled in the last 2 weeks. I knew this would happen eventually and I need to start exercising! But I got half way to my target without lifting a finger(other than to put food in my mouth) so it makes sense that now I'm going to have to make a little more effort. No more bus to work for me! Hope everyone is doing well :)

I stayed the same last week and then I was down 3lbs last night. I worked my bottom off both weeks so was very disheartened to stay the same I thought I was about 2lbs lighter.

Have been doing some light jogging and have started trying to do some squats to to get some extra body magic in.

Have also invested in some proper slimming world bread ie. a 400g slice pan and some BFree gluten free wraps.

The plan just seems so much easier when you have the correct things for your healthy extra for the fibre.

Have been having stuff like smoked salmon and melba toast or omlettes for breakfast to compensate for not having cereal so I can have the bread or wrap for lunch.

Fiona wrote: »
    I stayed the same last week and then I was down 3lbs last night. I worked my bottom off both weeks so was very disheartened to stay the same I thought I was about 2lbs lighter.

Have been doing some light jogging and have started trying to do some squats to to get some extra body magic in.

Have also invested in some proper slimming world bread ie. a 400g slice pan and some BFree gluten free wraps.

The plan just seems so much easier when you have the correct things for your healthy extra for the fibre.

Have been having stuff like smoked salmon and melba toast or omlettes for breakfast to compensate for not having cereal so I can have the bread or wrap for lunch.

Apparently when you start to properly exercise it will take a couple weeks to see the benefit on the scales. I love the little loaf of bread. I get the good for you one in dunnes.
    Organisation is definitely the key. I'm going to do some batch cooking on Sunday and stock up the freezer so I can have time to go to the gym after work and not worry about cooking when I get home.
    Good luck, I hope your happier after the next WI

PennyWren wrote: »
    Organisation is definitely the key. I'm going to do some batch cooking on Sunday and stock up the freezer so I can have time to go to the gym after work and not worry about cooking when I get home.
    Good luck, I hope your happier after the next WI

I totally agree! And the one piece of advice a lady in class who was getting her 8 stone (yes 8!) award last night said was exactly the same thing - "stay focussed & get organised".

I think it drives my husband a bit bonkers that I know what we're eating 5/6 days in advance, but it seems to be working! I was down 5LB last night a total of 10.5 in 3 weeks so happy out. Still quite a ways to go to target but I'm headed in the right direction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Joined mid November 2013, down 5 pounds this week, got my 3 stone award today, lost total of 3 stone 3 pounds since joining in mid November. Delighted.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Joined mid November 2013, down 5 pounds this week, got my 3 stone award today, lost total of 3 stone 3 pounds since joining in mid November. Delighted.

Wow! Congratulations! That's amazing. I joined around the same time, you've put me to shame!!

Yikes
    I joined in October and I have only just lost my Christmas weight which was more than I lost in total.

Now that's putting somebody to shame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Down 2 lbs. Happy out

dobbs2210 wrote: »

Jeez, that's brill! That's some going! :)

Weighing in myself in a little while. Was 100% on plan this week so I hope it pays off :) We'll soon see, eh?!

Fingers crossed for the rest of you who have their WI this evening also x

biddy2013 wrote: »
    Down 2 lbs. Happy out

Well done! :)

Done 3 pounds tonight happy happy!! So with 6 last week and my 3 I've 9 down yay!! Got no sticker tonight they we're out of them :(

2.5 pounds down :D

I guess the miracle of grapefruit really does work!

This week I have 2 drinking occasions, and one pizza night, so the aim will be simply to not gain anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abbymc

I have decided to start a new SW thread as I am a SW enthusiast and would love to share recipes, ideas, successes and failures for anyone who's interested. I have been a member since April 30th and am currently 1st 12.5lbs down, I have 8.5 lbs to go to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 horseworldire

Had the cottage pie for dinner it's lovely - just started have 3 stone to loose - it all sounds a bit too easy - love lots of the free food - could it really be this easy can u eat spuds meat pasta fruit and still loose ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Started last week. Only down 1lb tonight but I'm glad it's not a gain of 1lb :)

Another 20lbs to go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Slimming World and this thread but would just like to make myself known! I joined SW a week and a half ago and I have been following plans and synning diligently since I began. Despite going out for a burger last weekend, I managed to lose 5.5 pounds in my first week, and this has really motivated me to continue. Would love to exchange SW news, recipe ideas and anything else.

So far I am taking to SW like a duck to water. I suffered terribly from headaches for first few days bit feeling alot better now. Also joined a gym last week but really taking it easy in the gym at the mo until I lose some more pounds and get a bit fitter. Hoping that with continued effort planning meals and incorporating exercise will make lbs drop off asap!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Slimming World and this thread but would just like to make myself known! I joined SW a week and a half ago and I have been following plans and synning diligently since I began. Despite going out for a burger last weekend, I managed to lose 5.5 pounds in my first week, and this has really motivated me to continue. Would love to exchange SW news, recipe ideas and anything else.

So far I am taking to SW like a duck to water. I suffered terribly from headaches for first few days bit feeling alot better now. Also joined a gym last week but really taking it easy in the gym at the mo until I lose some more pounds and get a bit fitter. Hoping that with continued effort planning meals and incorporating exercise will make lbs drop off asap!

Hi and welcome :) only my 3rd week going now but have to say that the recipes that have been online can register with your pin they give there is 100s on it.

Going doing taco chips now tomorrow a member in my class loves is and shared it with us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement