Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

beauf wrote: »
    I assume not being being able was also true of the retired lady. Of course it was't just this lady it was on going damage to a number of cars and houses etc, (...paid more than €2,000 in damages...) so we don't know the true cost of the damage caused. Sounds like they focused on one vulnerable person, it was probably that as much as the damage. I expect they caught these simply because they were easy to find.

In my experience I've never had a good response time from the Garda no matter where I've lived in D15. Always get the we have no cars in the area, or they are dealing with something more urgent. Seems very different in other parts of the city, from what I here. Maybe other areas have always had more resources.

Blanchardstown Garda Station is incredibly under resourced for the size of the area that it serves. I'd love to know how many Gardaí are on duty on any given day/night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Although I have received poor service from Blanch Gardai I have sympathy for them.
    The population exploded and the number of Gardai didn't increase in D15 with other lucky Gardai down the country having a "relatively" quiet life and not being moved to where they are needed; can't blame them for that.

often their cars are worn ragged. Sometimes they've had their only active cars targetted by the joyriders and destroyed.
    They have called out to me in the paddy wagon because they have had no cars.
    Then when they proceed to do their job a doddery Judge in the local court won't send the criminals to Gaol. Then there aren't the prison places
    I've seen them crest-fallen in court after putting effort in to cases where I was involved and the case being dismissed.
    I've heard off-their-head louts shouting at the top of their voice to their mates passing through my estate elated because they got some digs in to Beangardas. Squaring up to the Gardai is part and parcel of a good night on the town in Blanch.
    Violent anti-social sub-humans are wild and free in Dublin 15 and there simply aren't enough Gardai around to follow them 24x7 since the legal system just won't put them behind bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I live in Ladyswell and I've luckily only had to call gardai a few times but they have never arrived. People in certain areas are lower priority it seems. It really does feel like the guards don't care about us.

I lived in one of those areas which you suggest are the ones the Guards don't care about.
    A significant minority of the locals in those ares don't make them feel very welcome when they do call.

737max wrote: »
    I lived in one of those areas which you suggest are the ones the Guards don't care about.
    A significant minority of the locals in those ares don't make them feel very welcome when they do call.

My street is full of families and old people. They have nothing to be afraid of. Afaik there have been no attacks on gardai up here so I don't think they can use that excuse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Imagine how it feels to live there then - feel at risk or targeted by a crime - call Gardaí for help - they never come.

It's inexcusable.

eviltwin wrote: »
    My street is full of families and old people. They have nothing to be afraid of. Afaik there have been no attacks on gardai up here so I don't think they can use that excuse.
    You make Ladyswell sound so nice and genteel. Even the placename sounds nice.

You make Ladyswell sound so nice and genteel. Even the placename sounds nice.

Believe it or not we are not all scumbags.

miamee wrote: »
    Imagine how it feels to live there then - feel at risk or targeted by a crime - call Gardaí for help - they never come.

It's inexcusable.
    It is excusable. I gave you the reasons why above.
    Where I lived in Blanch would have been mentioned as one of the rough areas in the same breath with Ladyswell.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Believe it or not we are not all scumbags.
    having lived in a similar area I can believe it but would I if I were a Garda be up and atom for visiting my estate at 3 in the morning...There be dragons.

• Advertisement

having lived in a similar area I can believe it but would I if I were a Garda be up and atom for visiting my estate at 3 in the morning...There be dragons.

They have a job to do and I'm entitled to the same protection and garda support as anyone else in D15. I could understand if they were at physical risk of attacks but in all my time here there has never been an attack on a guard. They patrol the area on bike so it can't be that much of a danger zone and I shouldn't have to justify why the people living here deserve the same treatment as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Although I have received poor service from Blanch Gardai I have sympathy for them.
    The population exploded and the number of Gardai didn't increase in D15...

I'm the same. Its a tough job no argument.

But the response times in Blanch have always been poor. Regardless of where in D.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

beauf wrote: »
    I'm the same. Its a tough job no argument.

But the response times in Blanch have always been poor. Regardless of where in D.15

Who would be the appropriate people to reach out to to try change this? How can we campaign for improved Garda presence in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Cant believe the we dont get the Gardai cause of where we live, nonsense.

Gardai in Blanch dont respond anywhere.

As for this groups of people hanging around someone must know their families to have a word with

It was noticeable as soon as Leo got the top job we started seeing more Garda around.

What is reminded us was you used to see more cops around, speed checks, on the beat. Over the last 10yrs or so all that disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

Political engagement is the best way to get more Garda - look at Stepaside. Part of the problem is that the parties that are willing to take responsibility for government do not see many votes in certain areas. If the people of an area vote for parties that refuse to enter government an spend their time attacking the Guarda (sometime justifiably) . This may not be right but it is reality.
    Best thing to do is for residents associations to invite politicians from the parties of power to the area for meetings and don't have a big protest against them when they arrive. In order to do that local people such as RA chairpeople, priests and teachers have to speak out against the parties who love to organise these protests. In the early days of Tyrrelstown I helped organise several meeting with cross party representational that were very successful but a strong chairperson is needed to keep the focus on what can actually be done for the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Gardaí in Blanch dont respond anywhere :rolleyes:

Its all a numbers game. You have to be realistic here lads.

10,696 Garda (according to their website)
    Take away detective rank out of that and Garda members who work in an office..
    Lets be very generous and leavie uniform numbers at 10,400

Then divide your remainder by 5 units = 2080

Divide that number by 26 counties = 80

Dublin is a priority so add a good few more to that 120 then leaving 40 for the other 25 counties...

120, lets say taking just the 10 of busiest Garda Stations in Dublin
    Store Street
    Pearse Street
    Tallaght
    Blanchardstown
    Finglas
    Kevin Street
    Cabra
    Coolock
    Crumlin
    Sundrive Road

12 working Garda for those stations at one time.. that would be leaving NOBODY for the rest of Dublin....

From your number take two away for your station who would be working inside, some station depending would take more in the station to operate it.

Take away another 2 for holiday or sick

Split your remaining 8 on the Unit. 6 in cars one will need paperwork to deal with the things he had last week, send the last one out on his own on a pushbike...

Take Blanchardstown with a population of 120,000... It wont be long before those 3 cars and one bike get stopped at a call and the calls build up

I think my maths are right.. Its a numbers game.

Gardaí in Blanch dont respond anywhere :rolleyes:

Its all a numbers game. You have to be realistic here lads.

Ok officer :rolleyes:

Realistic like saying Leitrim has the same Garda numbers as Dublin?

Go to the station in Blanch any night and all you can see/hear are the Gardai having a laugh in the back while you wait over an hour for a form to be stamped.

How many Gardai pass you on the street a month in Blanch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Shemale wrote: »
    Ok officer :rolleyes:

Realistic like saying Leitrim has the same Garda numbers as Dublin?

Go to the station in Blanch any night and all you can see/hear are the Gardai having a laugh in the back while you wait over an hour for a form to be stamped.

How many Gardai pass you on the street a month in Blanch?

I'll pass the message on next time I see than no having a laugh while in work! 😂

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'll pass the message on next time I see than no having a laugh while in work! 😂

No prob with having a laugh but maybe if there's a queue hop on the desk and help out instead of sittng having a gossip.

I'll pass the message on next time I see than no having a laugh while in work! ��

Mad idea, four of them could have a laugh and the fifth could go to the desk.

Shemale wrote: »
    ...while you wait over an hour for a form to be stamped. ...

I am completely baffled while this is still done by Garda on duty in active stations. Its like something from the 1950s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Some poor soul in ongar is going to wake up this morning to see their 2011 VW passat with its passenger window smashed and the top of the door bent back.

The car had a big yellow steering wheel lock and they still done this damage.

Least they still have their car...

Reports of food delivery drivers and taximen being attacked by groups of youths in the Clonsilla/Ongar areas over the past few nights. Some have been left hospitalised. David McGuinness FB page if anyone wants to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can't see anything on the FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭robbie000

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Can't see anything on the FB page

Its there I have seen it go onto his page and click visitors posts its the latest one.

Thanks, found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

They're breaking into empty house in Manorfields, starting fires in parks and robbing phones from kids in Hansfield littlepace area.

Can't wait for mid term to be over.

Nalz wrote: »
    They're breaking into empty house in Manorfields, starting fires in parks and robbing phones from kids in Hansfield littlepace area.

Can't wait for mid term to be over.

Mid term is over

• Advertisement

Whats the Neighbourhood Watch organisation like in the affected areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Liberal is a piece of s**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a piece of ****. Story is probably completely made up or has tiny element of truth to it, such as the Gardai existing.

Don't give that absolute trash of a website any page clicks.

Unless Pat you want to win an iPad, I believe the odds are great for winning one there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The "Liberal", gotta love that title given who's behind it, is a piece of ****, no debate on that.

A good pointer to see if there's any element of truth is checking other media for it. If they have the story you know where they stole the story from. If they haven't, it's probably made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Murt10 wrote: »

That's exactly what I'm hearing from friends, and locals.
    This needs to be stamped out quickly or the area will go down quickly.

I'm not surprised though, especially with the high amount of non nationals and the ghetto type of accommodation in a certain parts of D15.

I'm hearing a African family in social accommodation in tyrrelstown got moved to littlepace due to continual antisocial behavior and this chaps mates have weekly meet ups and cause murder in and around ongar.

I'm only saying what I've heard in person and read on facebook and facebook resident groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The "Liberal", gotta love that title given who's behind it, is a piece of ****, no debate on that.

A good pointer to see if there's any element of truth is checking other media for it. If they have the story you know where they stole the story from. If they haven't, it's probably made up.

A made-up story in The Liberal? Shocker;

https://www.buzz.ie/news/theliberal-ie-have-been-caught-out-for-posting-fake-inaccurate-and-downright-racist-news-218878

• Advertisement

Lets get one thing clear here folks... Regardless of how bullshítty the articles were in the past on this website, this article posted is far from lies. Trust me on that. Wish it was bull but it's not.

This usual nod wink stuff is tiresome. Without naming names or races, what has been witnessed going on in the area and where? What is being done to address it? What can ordinary folk do to help?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This usual nod wink stuff is tiresome. Without naming names or races, what has been witnessed going on in the area and where? What is being done to address it? What can ordinary folk do to help?

Witnessed has been several phone thefts at knife point, house break ins and squatting in abandoned houses, shop robberies, taxi robberies at knife point and delivery vans. Pretending to be delivery men and barging into houses... I could go on. My mate recently joined a WhatsApp group for the area and he sends me on pics and videos. Some people go o.t.t on small time incidents (none like the above) and the group can be noisey, so he mutes it. I'm not going to join it.

Apparently some of them are in a gangster rap video from a year ago filmed in Tyerllstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Witnessed has been several phone thefts at knife point, house break ins and squatting in abandoned houses, shop robberies, taxi robberies at knife point and delivery vans. Pretending to be delivery men and barging into houses... I could go on. My mate recently joined a WhatsApp group for the area and he sends me on pics and videos.

Thats great. Plenty of evidence for AGS, should lead to some convictions.

Apparently some of them are in a gangster rap video from a year ago filmed in Tyerllstown.

Pathetic little scrotes.

In terms of practical advice, are there any particular repeat locations that these events are occurring, so that people can guide themselves and their families? Any modus operandi? What numbers are we talking about in this gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gio2

Hansfield secondary school broken into last night. A lot of damage windows smashed and doors kicked in but very little taken. Probably the same little thugs responsible

I know the owner of the Chef takeaways (Tyrellstown, Ongar and Coolmine) quite well and he himself told me one of his drivers were attacked by a group of people up around Ravenswood a few weeks ago.

I think today is the first day in 13 days that I haven't got a text/WhatsApp or forum update regarding gangs or incidents in Dublin 15.

Feels strange! Maybe they're all preoccupied with the match lol

• Advertisement

I think today is the first day in 13 days that I haven't got a text/WhatsApp or forum update regarding gangs or incidents in Dublin 15.

Feels strange! Maybe they're all preoccupied with the match lol

What lists are you on!

Advertisement