Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes Shop & Save [TESCO NOT ACCEPTING THEM]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thebiglad wrote: »
    The benefit with using Dunnes is that if you spend €50 again the next week (€40 after voucher) they will give you another voucher for the next week - Tesco will happily take the Dunnes voucher on a €50 shop but there it stops.

If you are regular shopper at over €50 using voucher in Dunnes a much better option.

Totally agree, when craft beer is on offer, I take the voucher, get another 20% off my €50 and the missus gets another voucher back.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

This is going on so long now. When will the madness end?
    Also when so we get clubcard vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

This is going on so long now. When will the madness end?
    Also when so we get clubcard vouchers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Still ongoing and being heavily promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ending at the start of the school term I am told. Hope my info is wrong as I have saved a fortune on these over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Hi just wondering if tesco will honour these vouchers or is it aldi and lidl vouchers only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if tesco will honour these vouchers or is it aldi and lidl vouchers only.

They take these, Supervalu, Aldi, Lidl and occasionally Iceland and M&S if the staff members want to, basically.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

gimmick wrote: »
    Ending at the start of the school term I am told. Hope my info is wrong as I have saved a fortune on these over the last few months.

Wouldn't be surprised either way. They seem to make decisions on quite a whim though as when it ended in February, it started up again only a few days later. And when it ended in March, it started up again a week or two later.

So they may end it, see how that effects their sales and how the competition react, and get it going again pretty quickly if they deem it worthwhile to do so.

I'm sure when Dunnes do finally pull the plug, Aldi and Lidl will immediately follow suit.

What's most in our favour though is that over the past few years the run in to ********* is when the supermarkets have been most aggressive at vouchering!

Ongoing for a year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

L1011 wrote: »
    They take these, Supervalu, Aldi, Lidl and occasionally Iceland and M&S if the staff members want to, basically.

Do SuperValu still do shop and save vouchers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yes spend 40 save €8 is what I get with supervalu card.

I use the dunnes vouchers though, you have 10 days to use them which is about when I'd be doing a shop. Saving a fortune now I'm doing it this way rather than buying bits and pieces in there through the week.

Randomly yes. Got four weeks worth back at the start of August, from the Lucan branch but valid anywhere (and obviously Tesco taking them).

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ongoing for a year now.

There was a break from the beginning of December to Christmas Day which I imagine they might repeat again this year.

There were also a couple of brief breaks between Christmas and Paddy's Day but it's been running continually since then.

Pity they axed the €5 off €25 vouchers but they probably didn't consider them sustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes spend 40 save €8 is what I get with supervalu card.

I use the dunnes vouchers though, you have 10 days to use them which is about when I'd be doing a shop. Saving a fortune now I'm doing it this way rather than buying bits and pieces in there through the week.

Not bad, and the same % savings as dunnes vouchers in your case, all I ever get is 5% off a shop of under €100

ao1QR05.png?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

What's the above coffe machine like as my nesspresso is broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

meath4sam wrote: »
    What's the above coffe machine like as my nesspresso is broken.

I've had one for two years, a bargain at that price. Just factor in the pod cost though as they maybe more expensive than nespresso.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tazman77

Excellent value. Bought one last Christmas. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

Can you buy the cheap pods for this machine or do they have to be Tassimo pods?

Whats the average cost of these pods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

degzs wrote: »
    Can you buy the cheap pods for this machine or do they have to be Tassimo pods?

Whats the average cost of these pods?

Have to be Tassimo pods alright.

I buy mine from amazon.co.uk - works out at slightly less than 28c per cup.
    Regular price in Tesco is EUR 5.60 for 16 - 35c per cup

Still ongoing.

Still ongoing.

I imagine they'll continue till Easter anyway. In the latest Kantar market share figures they're up to 24.1%, less than 1% off market leaders SuperValu (25.0%). My hunch remains that they'll continue the promotion until they overtake Tesco and SuperValu.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0215/768143-retail-grocery-share/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

amazed super valu are market leaders :confused:

mailburner wrote: »

They are in every town etc, thats why. Plus they can be nice to shop in whereas a lot of more local country Tesco can be awful places. Mine is.

I think Dunnes will keep going or stop for a short spell like last year because when the vouchers stop, people will start trying other places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

mailburner wrote: »

Me too. Half the staff seem to be Jobbridge. I had a 'fishmonger' ask me to point out which type of fish was a sea trout.

My local is a disaster area Wed/Thu as they switch over the offers from one week to the next. Everything missing prices or priced wrong. Surely this should be done the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

TheDriver wrote: »
    They are in every town etc, thats why. Plus they can be nice to shop in whereas a lot of more local country Tesco can be awful places. Mine is.

I think Dunnes will keep going or stop for a short spell like last year because when the vouchers stop, people will start trying other places

Not in mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

TheDriver wrote: »

makes sense I suppose but whilst their prices on meat and the likes is very competitive they more than make up for it with other products like toiletries and household stuff
    varies from store to store I suppose, some super valu stores are very badly run in fairness
    I pretty much knocked super valu on the head once dunnes started issuing the shop and save vouchers
    I'd say its a close run thing as to which of super valu or tesco are the dearest if you did your weekly shop in either...my guess would be the supervalu might even be slightly dearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

20 Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps EUR1.50 in Dunnes Pavillions Swords. Certainly one of the best prices per packet in a long time. 20 packs of Tayto in Christmas boxes also - cannot recall if they we EUR4 or EUR3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

DS4.png

Still ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Still ongoing.

Did they ever reintroduce the spend €25 and get €5?

Did they ever reintroduce the spend €25 and get €5?
    No. Anti-singleton so it is.

Two years ongoing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Two years ongoing

Works a charm. Keeps me coming back. Getting better at angling the weeks shop towards the "50 exactly" mark. If just short, grab more loo roll. It will get used at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Works a charm. Keeps me coming back. Getting better at angling the weeks shop towards the "50 exactly" mark. If just short, grab more loo roll. It will get used at some stage.

Used to be a Dunnes regular but they are so expensive that even with 20% off its still cheaper to go to Lidl

jsd1004 wrote: »

Used to be a Dunnes regular but they are so expensive that even with 20% off its still cheaper to go to Lidl

Can't agree with that. It all depends on what you're buying, especially whether branded or not.

You won't get six litres of milk in Lidl for four euro!

It's particularly good when there's a decent booze deal to use in conjunction with a voucher like the current 25% back on six or more bottles of wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

1kg of Siucra caster sugar in Charlestown for €1 today. That's very good value

et101 wrote: »
    1kg of Siucra caster sugar in Charlestown for €1 today. That's very good value

2kg for 1.50 in Dealz if there's one near. Sucrose is sucrose; one of the things where brand is completely irrelevant. Suicra is made in Germany now.

Price has definitely dropped as it used to be 1.5KG for 1.50 which is the same price as the brand in Dunnes now.

• Advertisement

Shop and save is great, prices seem on par with Tesco and stock up on offers. Cute move by dunnes. I find most people have shops way outside limits e.g. 80 with tenner off used

L1011 wrote: »
    2kg for 1.50 in Dealz if there's one near. Sucrose is sucrose; one of the things where brand is completely irrelevant. Suicra is made in Germany now.

Price has definitely dropped as it used to be 1.5KG for 1.50 which is the same price as the brand in Dunnes now.

Totally agree that brand is irrelevant I was just specifiying what sugar it was. Iceland are also selling 2 x 1kg packs of sugar for €2.... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

et101 wrote:
    Totally agree that brand is irrelevant I was just specifiying what sugar it was. Iceland are also selling 2 x 1kg packs of sugar for €2....

Tesco has it made from beet root ? Is there any difference ?

tharmor wrote: »
    Tesco has it made from beet root ? Is there any difference ?

Beetroot sugar?? I would definitely say there would be a difference, for starters it would catch your eye cos it would be purple and I can't imagine what it would taste like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

sugar is made from boot beet and cane. The beet sugar factory was in Tuam when I was growing up so we in Ireland would have been brought up on sugar made from beet. I don't know if there is a difference in taste between beet and cane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

et101 wrote:
    Beetroot sugar?? I would definitely say there would be a difference, for starters it would catch your eye cos it would be purple and I can't imagine what it would taste like

Do u know color of sugar cane ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

FFS, start a new thread rather than derailing this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

jsd1004 wrote: »

Yes, but not for the same products. I like Avonmore Milk, Persil and Comfort, Onken yogurt, Walkers Spicy Nuts, and a number of other branded items that I cannot buy in Lidl. So I do the big shop in Dunnes and get/use the vouchers, some weeks €150, some weeks €100 (usually includes wine, f&v, bakery items, etc...)

And I am perfectly happy with Lidl for salami, loo roll, brown bread, pancakes, olives, sliced beetroot, potato cakes, cleaning products and nappies! Prob spend €60 there every other week.

Dunnes have finally beaten Tesco into third place, now within spitting distance of toppling Supervalu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

Deedsie wrote: »
    Will they ever introduce online grocery shopping and delivery?

I"d love them to just so I could check their prices online. Rubbish website as is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement