Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi ladies, I'm wondering is anyone else having problems with hunger? I find it comes on me all of a sudden and I need to eat straight away or I'll be miserable. I'm not craving anything, I just need food NOW. I'm afraid I'll be the size of a house by the time I reach 40 weeks!

Yeah I get that too. The only time I feel ok is when I'm eating, kinda worried I'll be huuuge in no time but also find that I get full quite quickly (I usually can eat a lot...). I find nibbling on dried apricots is good, a bit of sugar and fibre too.

I've found walking home from work really difficult with tiredness, feeling crappy with a weird hunger-nausea mix and as I'm walking home there isn't anything to eat. Today I had something to eat before I left work (a cookie and a couple of sucky sweets, damn crap food at work seminars) and it helped a lot. Must try it again tomorrow.

hope you feel better FurBabyMomma.

d4b wrote: »
    I'm 10 +3 now. I'm praying it will lift soon. :-)

I hope it lifts for you soon d4b. I'm at 12+2 and still feel crappy. I was half expecting a 'whoosh!' at the stroke of midnight at exactly 12 weeks and to feel normal and less pukey-tired, but it is still here. Perhaps next week!

I met an ex-colleague for coffee today and told her the news - she said that on her last baby she was so tired she used to lie on the floor in her office and sleep! She had a spot where noone could see her through the glass door panel. I wish I had an office...!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hah! I like her style! That's the way to do it certainly.

I find walking quite difficult as well, I get out of breath very easily! Not good when I am trying to maintain a very small level of exercise! Will have to take up swimming again or something, and I do plan to take up pre natal yoga again in another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Hi, can I join? First baby, due sept 23rd. Had an early scan at 9 wks as I had a minor bleed at 7 weeks. Longest fortnight ever waiting on that scan but apparently it would have been pointless doing it earlier as the heartbeat probably wouldn't be detected.

Have told both our families now and a couple of people at work. Am happy to tell the world next week once I'm 12 weeks.

Was constantly nauseous from weeks 6 to this week but thankfully it seems to be easing now,

Hi Ellie, welcome! I'm due around the 22nd, will know more when I have my scan on Tuesday. It's been a long time coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Oh god girls no sign of the nauseous stopping, the last week or two I've lost appetite completely :( food normally makes me so happy and I can't even force feed myself, it's usually the worst in the evening. I'm scared baby is not getting all the nutrients but I've been drinking loads of milk and taking my pregnancy vitamins hoping it's getting most of its goodness there. I'm 11+3 today. Have to say this week going through this has put a dampener on the 12 week milestone!

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Oh god girls no sign of the nauseous stopping, the last week or two I've lost appetite completely :( food normally makes me so happy and I can't even force feed myself, it's usually the worst in the evening. I'm scared baby is not getting all the nutrients but I've been drinking loads of milk and taking my pregnancy vitamins hoping it's getting most of its goodness there. I'm 11+3 today. Have to say this week going through this has put a dampener on the 12 week milestone!

That's tough pastry. At least you know that milk is full of good stuff for the little bub. Hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

EllieB wrote: »
    Hi, can I join? First baby, due sept 23rd. Had an early scan at 9 wks as I had a minor bleed at 7 weeks. Longest fortnight ever waiting on that scan but apparently it would have been pointless doing it earlier as the heartbeat probably wouldn't be detected.

Have told both our families now and a couple of people at work. Am happy to tell the world next week once I'm 12 weeks.

Hi there congrats n welcome.

I had first hospital appointment yesterday it went grand.
    Im due 3 sept but it will be a late aug baby as they wont let me go past 39 weeks.
    Im happy with that.
    Its my third and the doc raised suject of tubal ligation.
    It will b my 3 rd section this one will be planned
    I was horrified stuck for words and now i cant stop thinking about it.
    However i wont be led into anything like that yet.

Still in shock thou.!!

I have only told my mother and she told my father ! And thats it for some reasonthis time round i just dont want to tell

I made decision il tell the in laws at 16 weeks and il leave it as long as i can to tell work.

Its weird i find time is goin so slowly this time !

Gosh monflat, you'd think your doc would just let you get on with having this baby before discussing your 'options' post birth. I think that would be quite upsetting....

I think I'm really starting to show in the last week, depending on what I wear. I'm really bloated so it looks like I'm about 20 weeks some days ha ha! I've had to open my top buttons on all my jeans. I reckon I'll hold tough another week or so but I'm going to have to make the move to my mat jeans fairly soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Karmella wrote: »
    Gosh monflat, you'd think your doc would just let you get on with having this baby before discussing your 'options' post birth. I think that would be quite upsetting....

I think I'm really starting to show in the last week, depending on what I wear. I'm really bloated so it looks like I'm about 20 weeks some days ha ha! I've had to open my top buttons on all my jeans. I reckon I'll hold tough another week or so but I'm going to have to make the move to my mat jeans fairly soon!!

I suppose her reasoning was that " while they are in there " rather than opening me up a 4 th time she could do it there n then :-0
    Still not sure thou if i want a 4 th i can only tell that when i see how things are goin with a 3rd !

Im tryin to hold off with the maternity clothes as long as i can . But it might not be too much longer i am a 14 but am tight in 16 trousers 4 work so soon now il have to succumb !!!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Thanks for your lovely replies girls. monflat and pastry sounds like you're having a tough time of it poor things. I had to look up what tubal ligation was, tbh I'm shocked the doc brought it up so soon.

Seriously, where is this lovely second semester I've heard of? I can't face many more weeks of this nausea and dry retching. Anyone pass into that nicer phase yet?

TMI, but, is it just me or are any of you paranoid if you feel discharge and fear it might be blood? So far no blood but I can't help but worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

TMI, but, is it just me or are any of you paranoid if you feel discharge and fear it might be blood? So far no blood but I can't help but worry.

Me too but from speaking to other women on a miscarriage support group, this is really, really common. Early pregnancy is a very worrying time, you just don't realise it until you're actually pregnant!
    I have had TWO scans already (I'm in week 11 now) and both scans were great, lovely heartbeat and perfect growth between scans etc and I still have moments of thinking it's all too good to be true. But this feeling is extremely common! You're not alone with it.

Thanks Isolt. I'm sorry to hear that others are also worried, it is a pain, but glad to hear I'm normal!

I've also had 2 scans, one at 7 wks and one at 11 (a week ago) and all was fine but I just can't relax. I'm not usually a worry wort but that's what I'm turning into these days. And I'd say I'm only going to get worse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Plus One.

It's a daily sensation that's hard to ignore and I check often. Isn't it mad how anxious this time is? I've never known and never even realised from others who've been there, done that.

Maybe, they put all that to back of their minds bytthe time they're breaking the good news, not getting into the negative moments....And rightly so, of course!

73trix wrote: »
    Plus One.

I've never known and never even realised from others who've been there, done that.

There is SO much that goes unsaid! I'm only realising it now. I'd no real clue about it. Of course the fact that the first trimester is kept quiet contributes to it. For me I guess part of it is I wasn't round any pregnant women growing up, and my friends have started to have babies in the last couple of years but I've been abroad so I haven't been around for the day-to-day bits and didn't know to ask. In the last few days I've told a few good friends at home the news. Those new mums are the first ones back asking how I'm feeling and full of sympathy and support while those without kids are full of congratulations but have no clue, same as I was! I've been apologising to the new mums for not asking them more how they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Me too! Have lots of friends and family who've had babies but all I ever asked then was about morning sickness! I have been clueless til now. Hopefully when I get to the point - big hopes - of being able to tell my mammy pals, I'll be able to compare notes! Albeit, they prob forget now!

As I'm away at I won't have my first scan til bang on 13 weeks. And because I haven't had morning sickness part of me is very paranoid. I have told very few people as until I have the scan I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm constantly being told off for being so negative but I just need the confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭d4b

Seriously, where is this lovely second semester I've heard of? I can't face many more weeks of this nausea and dry retching. Anyone pass into that nicer phase yet?

Sweet lord the dry retching is horrendous isn't it :( I'm 11+1 and no sign of my nausea or retching going away :( its awful and I don't know about you but I'm embarrassingly loud retching lol ) I'm also really tired this week. I have my 12 week scan on Fri so just counting down the days to that now.

12 week scan today! Was great to see little bubs finally :-)

And the weather is lovely, two things that have really lifted my mood this week! :)

• Advertisement

12 week scan today! Was great to see little bubs finally :-)

And the weather is lovely, two things that have really lifted my mood this week! :)

Aww great Karmella :-) cant wait for mije on fri. Are you going to start telling people now?

The weather is just glorious long may it last x

Aww congratulations Karmella, that must have been such a magic moment for you. Happy days :-)

Thanks yeah it was lovely! Due date still 22 sep. Had my booking appointment aswell yesterday afterwards. Forgotten how long that takes!

Have told family now and most of our close friends already knew, but we told a few more :) I texted a few people while waiting for the 2nd appointment, and my phone was hopping then while the midwife was trying to get all my details :-) oooops!

Had a genetic screening appointment yesterday, I get it for free because of where I work. They go a bit mad here for the genetic screening, routinely offer tests for lots of things that are rare. Im sure the thoughts of such possible issues must scare the crap out of a lot of parents when their doc mentions it and they get tests done out of fear despite the really low risks and for some of the diseases you can't do anything. I reckon it is a money-making exercise preying on the vulnerability of pregnant people (I have issues with this!).

Anyway, as it is free for me I just got the basic blood test for downs syndrome and trisomy 18 and a scan for nucal translucency. The scan was great, little thing was lepping around goodo! The nurse was getting me to cough to make it move to a better spot so she could measure it. I've seen the heart beat on the scan before, but seeing it move around, kicking its legs and bucking its back was kind of a moment for me. There really is something alive in there!! The dad is away at the moment so he missed it.

All fine on the scan, waiting for blood results. Next genetic appt is at 20 Weeks for same things plus Spina bifida (which my cousin died from).

I downloaded the What to Expect app, and there is a big forum on that, but every second post is on results of genetic tests, scans, and then trying to guess the gender based on heart rates &12 week ultrasound pics, it just seems to be poles apart to Irish / U.K. based forums!!! It almost seems that there is something 'wrong with you' if you don't find out gender!! But sure I suppose if all these tests are available to you for free you may as well take advantage!!

I am hoping to try and find out this time round, we had the whole surprise thing last time. And I have no major preference either way. I'd love a girl, but at the same time having another boy would be very practical :) use the same clothes, toys, and they could share a room. But I'm surrounded by men so a girl would be nice :)

I downloaded the What to Expect app, and there is a big forum on that, but every second post is on results of genetic tests, scans, and then trying to guess the gender based on heart rates &12 week ultrasound pics, it just seems to be poles apart to Irish / U.K. based forums!!! It almost seems that there is something 'wrong with you' if you don't find out gender!! But sure I suppose if all these tests are available to you for free you may as well take advantage!!

Lol Karmella, that's why I was so delighted to find these pregnancy threads on boards! Normal people talking about normal things!! With a bit of craic thrown in too! Honestly, a friend of mine's brother got a massive list of genes tested for by amniocentisis and they don't have any family history for any of it. I thought it was mad, amnio itself has a risk of miscarraige, why bother if there is no reason to suspect? Although, a conversation with one of the nurses kind of gave me a bit of insight. My OB had put a question mark on cystic fibrosis as she wasn't sure it was covered in the package but as I'm european they recommend it (because europeans are riddled with it, obviously). The nurse gave me a number to ring about it, and I asked her if I had to do it at the next appointment in 2 months. She replied basically that people like to get the CF test (among others) done early so that they have 'time to do something about it if they want'. At the time, I understood that to mean some kind of treatment but thinking about it afterwards, I don't think you can treat CF in utero. I think she meant people do it early enough so they can have the option of an abortion. I guess I was a bit naive before but I'm looking at the whole US genetic testing thing in a new way now and its a bit scary. I would be pro-choice, but, I dunno, I grew up with a girl with CF!
    I am hoping to try and find out this time round, we had the whole surprise thing last time. And I have no major preference either way. I'd love a girl, but at the same time having another boy would be very practical smile.png use the same clothes, toys, and they could share a room. But I'm surrounded by men so a girl would be nice smile.png

I always thought I wouldn't want to know, that I'd want a surprise, but the dad really wants to know! So I don't know how we're going to work that. He reckons he will feel more connected with it earlier if he knows it is a boy or a girl, makes it feel more real. I can understand that; the bloody nausea alone makes it real enough for me but he doesn't have such a connection yet (apart from me moaning about the nausea!).

Yeah it's very hard for the men to feel connected to the baby, it's really only when they arrive that they can... I'd say hubby would have wanted to find out last time too, but I didn't! He didn't push me on it though. This time though it's all he keeps asking - when can we find out!! I don't know if we are even going to have another scan so we may not be able to. Unless we fork out 100 euro for a private scan. Might do that yet, will see :)

The Sept 2013 Mums from Rollercoaster got a great write up in the Irish Times this week! I must say thanks to all the posters here, it does make a massive difference to hear from others in the same boat as me and be able to chat with ye about silly/scary/TMI/exciting pregnancy stuff :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/rollercoaster-ride-from-virtual-reality-to-real-friends-1.1719224?page=1

Hey girls. Had my 12 week private scan on Friday. So amazing to see our little pudden jumping and waving around. Such a big difference from the last scan 4 weeks ago. I honestly felt an overwhelming bond and gush of love :-)

I much prefer the rollercoaster and here forum. More personal I think and genuine. You girls are great xxx

• Advertisement

That's great d4b! It is wonderful to see the little fellas waving around :)

Advertisement