Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Have any of the formula feeders started weaning yet?? I'm starting to think I may have to start soon even though I really wanted to hold out longer. We are 18.5 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hey Ocean! Have not started weaning yet and bubs is also 18.5 weeks old. Some of the signs are there but not all so I'm inclined to hold off for a little while yet as he's eating well and is satisfied. He normally sleeps 7pm-7am and in the last few days has been waking at 5.30am very hungry but he in not distressed and I don't mind getting up earlier so will hold off until I am sure he is ready. What is your little one doing that suggests it's time?

Merkin wrote: »
    Hey Ocean! Have not started weaning yet and bubs is also 18.5 weeks old. Some of the signs are there but not all so I'm inclined to hold off for a little while yet as he's eating well and is satisfied. He normally sleeps 7pm-7am and in the last few days has been waking at 5.30am very hungry but he in not distressed and I don't mind getting up earlier so will hold off until I am sure he is ready. What is your little one doing that suggests it's time?

Waking up early here too! 5.17am this morning :( We're only getting a 9 hour stretch whereas we were getting nearly 11 most nights. She is wrecked during the day now too but fights naps at times, though that's linked to teething I think. I just know she'd be much better off if I could get her sleeping longer again.

I'm gonna see if this pattern continues a while longer before I do anything. Showing a few other signs here too, but like you not necessarily enough to make me act straight away.i just feel we'll be heading there sooner rather than later!

This is a good little quiz. Our little chap still reflexively sticks out his tongue which suggests to me he may not quite be ready just yet. Worth looking at the questions and seeing if baby Ocean ticks all the boxes!

http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/quiz/baby-ready-for-solids.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Hi merkin,

My boy is the same age as your little fella. We had this problem of wakin very early and being hungry. We increased each day time feed by 1oz and it worked. It might work for you too. It's worth a try :-) xx

• Advertisement

This is a good little quiz. Our little chap still reflexively sticks out his tongue which suggests to me he may not quite be ready just yet. Worth looking at the questions and seeing if baby Ocean ticks all the boxes!

http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/quiz/baby-ready-for-solids.aspx

Answered yes to most. Not sure about the tongue thrusting and opening mouth to spoon - I'll have to give her a little test tomorrow!

shivers27 wrote: »
    Hi merkin,

My boy is the same age as your little fella. We had this problem of wakin very early and being hungry. We increased each day time feed by 1oz and it worked. It might work for you too. It's worth a try :-) xx

Thanks for that shivers, will try! The little fellow had oral surgery a couple of weeks ago and was drinking full bottles immediately after but there has been a little dip in his appetite since, I think it may be his teeth :( Now when I say dip he has gone from 8oz to 6/7oz bottles and he is gaining weight so I'm not panicking but his first couple of morning feeds are the really big ones! Is your little one teething? Bubs has had it really tough today with his teeth and consequently funny tummy, he's just off colour the poor little thing. He laughs and smiles readily and he is not a big one for crying at all so seeing him under par is awful!

Thanks for that shivers, will try! The little fellow had oral surgery a couple of weeks ago and was drinking full bottles immediately after but there has been a little dip in his appetite since, I think it may be his teeth :( Now when I say dip he has gone from 8oz to 6/7oz bottles and he is gaining weight so I'm not panicking but his first couple of morning feeds are the really big ones! Is your little one teething? Bubs has had it really tough today with his teeth and consequently funny tummy, he's just off colour the poor little thing. He laughs and smiles readily and he is not a big one for crying at all so seeing him under par is awful!

Ah hope your little fella was ok after his surgery. I really don't know if baba is teething !! He has a grouchy hour in the evening when he wants EVERYTHING in his mouth and gets annoyed when he can't chew on stuff properly !
    That's it really tho so I don't think he is teething... Yet !!

Ah hope your little fella was ok after his surgery. I really don't know if baba is teething !! He has a grouchy hour in the evening when he wants EVERYTHING in his mouth and gets annoyed when he can't chew on stuff properly !
    That's it really tho so I don't think he is teething... Yet !!

You'll know it when it starts! We have the chewing, pain, pulling her ears, constant stream of drool........It's horrible :(

Oh I hope he doesn't suffer! Our little chap has had really red little rosy cheeks today, the hand chewed off himself, dribbling like a good 'un and just not himself. I keep Teetha gel in the fridge and gave him some Calpol earlier but he's just a little martyr to the tootypegs today and I want to take the discomfort for him! :( Will try the extra ounce at his hungry feeds though so thanks for the tip xx

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    You'll know it when it starts! We have the chewing, pain, pulling her ears, constant stream of drool........It's horrible :(

Awww Ocean it's awful isn't it? What do you find works? Bubs has started to eat Sophie the Giraffe and that helps, as does the cold Teetha gel and granules to a lesser extent (the Ashton & Parsons ones are better) but if you have my other tips I'll gladly listen!!!xx

Awww Ocean it's awful isn't it? What do you find works? Bubs has started to eat Sophie the Giraffe and that helps, as does the cold Teetha gel and granules to a lesser extent (the Ashton & Parsons ones are better) but if you have my other tips I'll gladly listen!!!xx

At the moment all I've had to use is the odd rub of bonjela which she seems to respond to really well. So I'll stick with that for the minute. Haven't used it chilled though so that's a good idea!

We have Sophie but my little one has quite a petite little mouth and she finds it hard to get sophie's foot/leg/ear into her mouth. Then she whips it about with frustration and I'm half afraid she'll take her eye out with an ear so I'm considering taking it away for another few weeks and just getting a basic teething ring for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Ruben has his two bottom teeth already. 2nd one erupted yesterday. Another 18 teeth to go. He's a nightmare to feed few days before the tooth comes through. He screams at the sight of boob, I have to dream feed him day and night. He's back to normal since yesterday though. Now we're waiting for the top two to cause a havoc, again. He was 18wks last Friday.

I give him Calpol teething gel. He loves the taste and licks my finger clean every time. It's quite hard to get the it onto his gums - it just gets eaten.
    Re: starting solids. No, definitely not ready here yet: strong tong thrust action, not sitting by himself, head control isn't 100 percent, not reaching for food. He only started watching me eating last week, he wouldn't reach for what's on my plate etc. I'm gearing up towards 'Baby Led Weaning', reading books, online info etc. It's another 2 months approx until I offer him his first carrot stick :D

Sophie is fun but she would be easier to handle if she was a bit smaller:
    2014-11-28RubenandGiraffesmall_zps24fe7702.jpg

Merkin: are you done with surgeries now? I'm glad to hear your little one is coping well with them.

j@utis wrote: »
    Ruben has his two bottom teeth already. 2nd one erupted yesterday. Another 18 teeth to go. He's a nightmare to feed few days before the tooth comes through. He screams at the sight of boob, I have to dream feed him day and night. He's back to normal since yesterday though. Now we're waiting for the top two to cause a havoc, again. He was 18wks last Friday.

I give him Calpol teething gel. He loves the taste and licks my finger clean every time. It's quite hard to get the it onto his gums - it just gets eaten.
    Re: starting solids. No, definitely not ready here yet: strong tong thrust action, not sitting by himself, head control isn't 100 percent, not reaching for food. He only started watching me eating last week, he wouldn't reach for what's on my plate etc. I'm gearing up towards 'Baby Led Weaning', reading books, online info etc. It's another 2 months approx until I offer him his first carrot stick :D

Sophie is fun but she would be easier to handle if she was a bit smaller:
    2014-11-28RubenandGiraffesmall_zps24fe7702.jpg

I'm the same! Very difficult to get teething gel onto the gums without it ending up on lips, tongue etc :)

No rush on weaning, the longer we can hold out the better! For a breast fed baby isn't 24 weeks the earliest they should be weaned anyway? I think the 4-6 month window is for formula fed babies??

Little one was just doing tummy time and she suddenly rolled onto her back for the first time!! I literally glanced up at the TV and when I looked back down, there she was with a big startled shocked look on her face!!

Are any of you girls using a soother ?? My lil fella is waking up LOADS during the night looking for it !! I'm up and down to give him the soother over and over during the night. I'm getting less sleep now then when he was a newborn :-( he's 4.5 months now.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do ? Probably not much I can do until he can put the soother back in his own mouth ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Are any of you girls using a soother ?? My lil fella is waking up LOADS during the night looking for it !! I'm up and down to give him the soother over and over during the night. I'm getting less sleep now then when he was a newborn :-( he's 4.5 months now.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do ? Probably not much I can do until he can put the soother back in his own mouth ?!

Or just work through a few nights of hardship and then he stops using it?
    Apparently the use of a soother becomes a problem when the baby is always having it returned to their mouth as they forget how to sleep without it.
    Generally the advice is to not return it to their mouth when it slips out when they are asleep. If you have been doing this and so end up with a situation like yours the only way out of it is a few nights where they cry without it and then get ok about not having it.

My little girl is 13 weeks and has never been a big fan of the soother thankfully. She takes it occasionally but has always preferred to suck on her hands / thumb.

You're not the only one who feels progress is slipping backwards!

Re. soother - our little one wasn't fussed about soother for the first 4 months. Now she is teething she likes it a bit more, I assume it gives some relief. Thankfully she doesn't need it to sleep at night but at times during the day when she decides she wants it, it's such a curse how disrupting it is when it falls out of her mouth. Almost asleep for a nap then BAM!, wide awake and cries until she gets it back. I'm so paranoid she will get fully dependent on it. I'm definitely going to ration it as much as possible because I really don't want to get to a position where her nights sleep is affected by the soother.

We have also regressed in terms of bedtime routine. From two weeks I made an effort to put her into her moses basket awake (but drowsy) for her long sleep at night. I didn't want her dependent on falling asleep while being held. It worked fine and she is a great sleeper. However the last while her night time bottle has turned out to be like a major sedative for her and she is asleep in my arms by the end of it. Most times she doesn't even wake going down into the cot. I can definitely see now that she's finding it harder to go asleep herself at nap time etc.

We think we have one thing sorted and nearly overnight baby can totally turn things upside down!!

Or just work through a few nights of hardship and then he stops using it?
    Apparently the use of a soother becomes a problem when the baby is always having it returned to their mouth as they forget how to sleep without it.
    Generally the advice is to not return it to their mouth when it slips out when they are asleep. If you have been doing this and so end up with a situation like yours the only way out of it is a few nights where they cry without it and then get ok about not having it.

My little girl is 13 weeks and has never been a big fan of the soother thankfully. She takes it occasionally but has always preferred to suck on her hands / thumb.

Thanks Penny Dreadful, I think you're right. I am going to go cold turkey tonight. To be honest some crying will be better that up and out of bed and over to cot over and over :-( it's wearing me down.

My lil fella never looked for the soother during the night or when going to bed until he was about 16 weeks, he's almost 20 weeks now. So be warned your little girl may start looking for the soother a bit more and don't make the mistake I did. I'm sure you won't :-)

I'll let you know in a few days how it goes...

• Advertisement

You're not the only one who feels progress is slipping backwards!

Re. soother - our little one wasn't fussed about soother for the first 4 months. Now she is teething she likes it a bit more, I assume it gives some relief. Thankfully she doesn't need it to sleep at night but at times during the day when she decides she wants it, it's such a curse how disrupting it is when it falls out of her mouth. Almost asleep for a nap then BAM!, wide awake and cries until she gets it back. I'm so paranoid she will get fully dependent on it. I'm definitely going to ration it as much as possible because I really don't want to get to a position where her nights sleep is affected by the soother.

We have also regressed in terms of bedtime routine. From two weeks I made an effort to put her into her moses basket awake (but drowsy) for her long sleep at night. I didn't want her dependent on falling asleep while being held. It worked fine and she is a great sleeper. However the last while her night time bottle has turned out to be like a major sedative for her and she is asleep in my arms by the end of it. Most times she doesn't even wake going down into the cot. I can definitely see now that she's finding it harder to go asleep herself at nap time etc.

We think we have one thing sorted and nearly overnight baby can totally turn things upside down!!

Hi Ocean Blue,

I wonder if maybe your little girl would take her bottle a little earlier when she's not so tired. Maybe 15/20 minutes earlier than usual. I'm sure she will still be tired for bed after her bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Thanks Penny Dreadful, I think you're right. I am going to go cold turkey tonight. To be honest some crying will be better that up and out of bed and over to cot over and over :-( it's wearing me down.

My lil fella never looked for the soother during the night or when going to bed until he was about 16 weeks, he's almost 20 weeks now. So be warned your little girl may start looking for the soother a bit more and don't make the mistake I did. I'm sure you won't :-)

I'll let you know in a few days how it goes...

Jeez who knows how many mistakes I have made and have yet to make in the future. :-)
    Most of the baby sleep expert people suggest doing a cold turkey thing as you're going to do at the weekend when you can take it easier the next day rather than anyone having to get up for work.
    Good luck with it whenever you go for it though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Shivers I think you jinxed me lol. I read your post the other and the very same night I was up and down all night putting soother back in. Though I don't if its more that shes just waking cause of teething or hunger and soother helps her go back to sleep. Has anyone started spoon feeding? My little girl is 23 weeks and she is still just bottle fed.she has four bottles a day usually has around 30 ounces its hard to get bottles into her at times. Though at the same time she is in the 91st percentile for her weight and 95 th for height so not worried about that. I gave her baby rice twice but each night she screamed and cried i think it gave her a sore tummy?! not sure if it was the rice or the fact she was teething really badly. Not sure were to go from here I was thinking maybe trying pureed carrots?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 babymomma22

Hello to all the moms here and congratulations =D
    I know I'm very late to the thread ,
    I have a 2 1/2 year old son and a 25 week old daughter who was born the 3rd July in limerick . I'm just wondering if there is any moms here from limerick ?
    Hope all mom's and babies are well =)

missjuly wrote: »
    <...> Has anyone started spoon feeding? <...>
    nope. I'm waiting until Ruben is 26weeks old unless he shows signs of readiness before that. No spoons planned here though - I'll be doing Baby Led Weaning with him.
    at the moment boob seems to fully satisfy him :rolleyes: he's on 81st percentile for weight and 100th for height. he started rolling over two weeks ago and now insists sleeping on his tummy. it's funny when I'm trying to put him to sleep but he flips over straight away and starts doing "push ups" instead of sleeping :D He's getting quite mobile when down on his play mat too: turning around 360 degrees to reach for toys and "crawling" backwards.

ps. no soother here = no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Still not on solids here and 25 weeks at this stage. She seems satisfied enough still sleeping about 11 hours a night but I'm back to work in January and I'd like to have started it in some shape or form. My mum will be minding her but I'd like to be the one to introduce food. I have heard of baby led weaning though to be honest I think I'd be terrified of baby choking on the lumps. I might do a bit more research on it all the same.

Welcome to the newcomer how is your little one doing? How are all the other mums and babies? Is anyone else back to work in January? Hope everyone had a fab first Xmas with their gorgeous babies !!

missjuly wrote: »
    Shivers I think you jinxed me lol. I read your post the other and the very same night I was up and down all night putting soother back in. Though I don't if its more that shes just waking cause of teething or hunger and soother helps her go back to sleep. Has anyone started spoon feeding? My little girl is 23 weeks and she is still just bottle fed.she has four bottles a day usually has around 30 ounces its hard to get bottles into her at times. Though at the same time she is in the 91st
    percentile for her weight and 95 th for height so not worried about that. I gave her baby rice twice but each night she screamed and cried i think it gave her a sore tummy?! not sure if it
    was the rice or the fact she was teething really badly. Not sure were to go from here I was
    thinking maybe trying pureed carrots?!

Oh no sorry !! Hope your little one has stopped looking for the soother.

I have a really good book written by dieticians from Temple Street Hospital called how to feed you child well. I find it great. I also have a recipe book which is great for giving ideas of different foods to give baby.

My baba is 23 weeks next week and I'm going to start weaning. Its just one spoon of baby rice a day for a week I think then very gradually add another spoon of rice. I'm not 100% sure of exact amounts but its all the book.

Have any of the formula feeders started weaning yet?? I'm starting to think I may have to start soon even though I really wanted to hold out longer. We are 18.5 weeks now.

I've held off until now (23 weeks tomorrow) but I reckon I'm going to start this week. Our previous early morning waking stage rectified itself but now it's back :( Up here since 5.10. I know that's partly teething also but if her teeth are at her she's at her most uncomfortable before feeds so I think hunger is making her more unsettled. Plus it's less than five weeks now til I'm back at work so keen to have her established on solids by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Must have unsubscribed to this thread by mistake!

Abigail is doing swell, on spoonfeeds now at health nurse's request three times a day! It's all homemade stuff, usually what we are having minus stocks/sauces etc. She loves bolognese, soup and has had a wee taste of chocolate too :pac:
    She's still on 5 bottles of 9oz at a time, re-lactation was a failure unfortunately :o
    She can roll from belly to back and back to belly, is pushing herself right up with her hands on tummy time and starting to tuck her knees under her! She also sits unaided for about 3 or 4 seconds and will pull herself up to sitting if she has even the tiniest bit of lower back support :p
    Goes to bed every night at 8.30/9PM and is awake for her first bottle at 9 or 10, with two naps at the same time every day!

Still as bald as a coot with stunning blue eyes and absolutely no toofies in her mouth :p

Aaaaaaaand...
    We're trying again in September :D:D:D:D:D:D

1374996_10152571201227998_5428421236963762302_n.jpg

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Must have unsubscribed to this thread by mistake!

Abigail is doing swell, on spoonfeeds now at health nurse's request three times a day! It's all homemade stuff, usually what we are having minus stocks/sauces etc. She loves bolognese, soup and has had a wee taste of chocolate too :pac:
    She's still on 5 bottles of 9oz at a time, re-lactation was a failure unfortunately :o
    She can roll from belly to back and back to belly, is pushing herself right up with her hands on tummy time and starting to tuck her knees under her! She also sits unaided for about 3 or 4 seconds and will pull herself up to sitting if she has even the tiniest bit of lower back support :p
    Goes to bed every night at 8.30/9PM and is awake for her first bottle at 9 or 10, with two naps at the same time every day!

Still as bald as a coot with stunning blue eyes and absolutely no toofies in her mouth :p

Aaaaaaaand...
    We're trying again in September :D:D:D:D:D:D

1374996_10152571201227998_5428421236963762302_n.jpg

She's a cutie!! Glad to hear all is going well. That is just mad that she sleeps until 9 am or 10am.......amazing sleeper!

What weight is she now? I have no idea what weight my little one is at the moment........will go to the child welfare clinic once they start up again on Tuesday to find out.......can't wait!

Advertisement