Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Is match on TV next week?
    live on sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ormond lad wrote: »
    live on sky

Sky Go it is so, on the road next week:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

England vs Ireland for the U20s GS? Should be good to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

England vs Ireland for the U20s GS? Should be good to watch.

Has to be....can't wait....Ireland been given not much chance by most people, is England v France U20 on anywhere today? seen nothing of England U20 since last year where they killed Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

boynesider wrote: »
    I'll admit that he has impressed me for Ulster but this is what makes his consistently average/poor performances for the u20's all the more inexplicable to me. Maybe it's a higher standard of rugby than we would think?

I think you're confusing poor goal kicking with poor oveall out half play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Jackson cant be that poor a kicker though otherwise they'd have McGrath or Hanrahan kicking from the start, maybe its just the pressure of being captain thats affecting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I really like the way Jackson varies his distribution, always looking for a short ball or an inside runner or whatever, you really need a 10 who can play that sort of game to keep defences on their toes. I'm sure his kicking will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm surprised at the criticism to be honest. Aside from his place kicking, and being out of position once or twice I'd give him an 8/10. His passing was sublime at times, and knew exactly when to make the switch out to the backs. Unfortunately the team often went too wide too early. The team probably averaged 7/10. They were decent but far from firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Saw both U20 games last night and couldn't help but notice the difference in the venues. Dubarry Park pitch looked dreadful (albeit there was rain during the second half) while the pitch at Colwyn Bay for Wales vs Italy was in perfect condition. BTW the Wales game was a sell out at a superb venue. While Athlone is very central for U20 games is it the best avaliable venue I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Luke McGrath.

Best young scrum half in the country. (I include Murray in that)

The guy is going to be a Lions tourist one day if he keeps it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

6-3 to France at Half-time.

5mins left and France still have the lead.

EDIT: England try, they take the lead

France take the lead back. 9-8 to France with only a minute or so left.

EDIT: 12-8 to France, 1 minute to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Damnit... Gonna be a tense final game then. The U20s has been far more enjoyable than the seniors this year. More close games and drama!

Game Over. France win 12-8.

Luke McGrath.

Best young scrum half in the country. (I include Murray in that)

The guy is going to be a Lions tourist one day if he keeps it up.

McGrath is very good and I tend to agree that he could potentially be a Lion (long way to go though).

However I think his passing needs a bit of work. I read someone on another MB compare him to Paul Marshall and actually you know what I can see the comparison only that McGrath appears to have a bit more control for the level he plays at anyway. However he just needs to improve that pass a bit, if he does, and I'm sure he will when is becomes a full time pro, he'll be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hagz, did you watch the game? How good were England?

I really hope they do it. Their defence has been incredible to date, particularly against France, so if they can continue that, they must have a great chance.

From a provincial point-of-view, Munster don't have a lot of players on the team but luckily, they do have one of the best ones. Hanrahan, along with Layden, Henderson and Gilsenan, look like they could be top class players.

Henderson reminds me of POC tbh, loads of aggression and seems to get what he wants through sheer force of will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

bilston wrote: »
    I think you're confusing poor goal kicking with poor oveall out half play.

No I'm not actually. I mean in overall play, he is capable of so much more than what he has been producing. Loads of kicks straight into touch, poor restarts and some suicide passes to teammates. Last night wasn't too bad, but against France and Wales it was a serious issue. Plenty of flashes of brilliance at the same time however and I'm sure he'll be a full international. He's just not showing the control and leadership you would want from your captain and most experienced player. Cathal Marsh on the bench is a special talent with the ball in hand and I would love to see him get a start, but I think his kicking game is probably holding him back.

I don't understand why McGrath doesn't have the goal kicking duties anyway. Anyone who watched him play at u19 level will know that he's very capable off the tee. It might even take some pressure off Jackson. Or are we as a country just allergic to letting someone other than the 10 kick.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't understand why McGrath doesn't have the goal kicking duties anyway. Anyone who watched him play at u19 level will know that he's very capable off the tee. It might even take some pressure off Jackson. Or are we as a country just allergic to letting someone other than the 10 kick.

And so is Hanrahan, he kicks for UL Bohs.

It does seem a bit odd that they're sticking with Jackson but he obviously does have the ability to kick goals, just is a bit out-of-form.

Does he play 12 for Bohemians or 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So what's the story with next week?

I'd love to lend my support to the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

match is next saturday in Adams Park which is where wasps play

Hagz wrote: »
    Does he play 12 for Bohemians or 10?

10, with Sheridan at 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Nice to hear France beat England as Englands record was formidable. England would still have to be favourites for the win and the championship but hopefully we can give the sort of display this squad has produced in fits and starts so far for 80 minutes and we'll have a chance. Will RTE be showing this or will Sky have the rights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

we do seem to have a strange obsession in Ireland with having the 10 doing all the kicking. MGrath is a really good kicker but JJ is great. Don't forget that he kicked the winning penalty from a tight angle away in France when PJ was gone off, and after that I was actually expecting him to take over the kicking duties.

Does anyone know what the situation is with Peter Nelson of Ulster, because I have heard a lot of talk about him from people who have seen him for Dungannon and I think we are still a bit weak on the wings?

Nice to hear France beat England as Englands record was formidable. England would still have to be favourites for the win and the championship but hopefully we can give the sort of display this squad has produced in fits and starts so far for 80 minutes and we'll have a chance. Will RTE be showing this or will Sky have the rights?
    Live on Sky Sports 2. 8pm, not on RTE

we do seem to have a strange obsession in Ireland with having the 10 doing all the kicking. MGrath is a really good kicker but JJ is great. Don't forget that he kicked the winning penalty from a tight angle away in France when PJ was gone off, and after that I was actually expecting him to take over the kicking duties.

Does anyone know what the situation is with Peter Nelson of Ulster, because I have heard a lot of talk about him from people who have seen him for Dungannon and I think we are still a bit weak on the wings?

Nelson is injured.

Does JJ kick for UL Bohs? Does McGrath kick for whoever he plays for? The reason I'm asking is that maybe they want to use someone who kicks regularly? I would prefer JJ or McGrath to kick myself.

Edit - just read above that Hanranhan kicks for Bohs.

No I'm not actually. I mean in overall play, he is capable of so much more than what he has been producing. Loads of kicks straight into touch, poor restarts and some suicide passes to teammates. Last night wasn't too bad, but against France and Wales it was a serious issue. Plenty of flashes of brilliance at the same time however and I'm sure he'll be a full international. He's just not showing the control and leadership you would want from your captain and most experienced player. Cathal Marsh on the bench is a special talent with the ball in hand and I would love to see him get a start, but I think his kicking game is probably holding him back.

I'd like to see Marsh get a chance although I can't see it happening this weekend before the England game.

Having watched the U20s a lot over the last few years I'd say Jackson is easily our most competent 10 since Keatley (at least). From what I've seen of Marsh I'd say the same of him too. It's good that Ireland is producing 10s again. What I've seen of Olding is reasonably promising as well but we'll probably see more of him next year.

Haha no way I live about 5 minutes away.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Haha no way I live about 5 minutes away.

Brilliant.
    At least I assume it is the same Adams park
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/results_and_fixtures_ireland_u20.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I've been very impressed with Farrell. Considering his age(18), size and skillset(runs with ball in 2 hands, great offloads, good distribution) I think he could be one of the best backline prospects we've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

So with the French beating the English. Do Ireland need to win or would staying within a few points of England do??

So with the French beating the English. Do Ireland need to win or would staying within a few points of England do??
    England destroyed a few teams so they lead on points difference. A draw or a win is needed to win the championship afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

The game against England is a mouth watering game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Think you mean Friday. Senior game is on Saturday.

Yep seems to be Friday night at 8 in Wycombe.

No other info it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Yep seems to be Friday night at 8 in Wycombe.

No other info it seems
    The U20s seem very hard done by in the media. On for an historic grand slam, have beaten France away and in the two newspapers I read yesterday, (SIndo and S.Times) no mention whatsoever of them that I could find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

rrpc wrote: »
    The U20s seem very hard done by in the media. On for an historic grand slam, have beaten France away and in the two newspapers I read yesterday, (SIndo and S.Times) no mention whatsoever of them that I could find.

There was a match report in the saturday times, but yeah you'd think there would be more hype considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Watched most of Ireland - Scotland u20 game. There's a lot o talent in the side. They looked a level above Scotland.
    The scrum in particular was very impressive. Scoreboard was quiet at times but I thought our handling and willingness to have a go was good.

• Advertisement

Watched most of Ireland - Scotland u20 game. There's a lot o talent in the side. They looked a level above Scotland.
    The scrum in particular was very impressive. Scoreboard was quiet at times but I thought our handling and willingness to have a go was good.

It's the best team we've had at this level since 2007 and that '07 side has so far produced six internationals (7 if you include Fitz who was actually injured for the first game and then fasttracked after that) in Healy, O'Brien, Earls, Keatley, Cave and Jones. So bearing that in mind you'd have to think there are a few boys in this side that we'll be hearing a lot more about in the years to come. These guys are also coming through at a good time as there will be one or two glaring holes in the Ireland team in the next couple of years that will need filling.

bilston wrote: »
    It's the best team we've had at this level since 2007 and that '07 side has so far produced six internationals (7 if you include Fitz who was actually injured for the first game and then fasttracked after that) in Healy, O'Brien, Earls, Keatley, Cave and Jones. So bearing that in mind you'd have to think there are a few boys in this side that we'll be hearing a lot more about in the years to come. These guys are also coming through at a good time as there will be one or two glaring holes in the Ireland team in the next couple of years that will need filling.
    Indeed. Standouts for me are Luke McGrath, potentially a great scrum half if he can work on his passing from the left hand (no doubt he will), Paddy Jackson (providing he can conguer his kicking yips), Jack Conan who seems to be an absolute monster: 6' 6" and 110kgs :eek:, yet very mobile, Hanrahan and Foster Horan who both look very dangerous in attack and Shane Layden who seems to be able to do no wrong.

It's hard to know about the front five at this stage; they seem to be quite light but so far a fairly effective unit, it's the next few years that will really tell if they can make the step up.

Indeed. Standouts for me are Luke McGrath, potentially a great scrum half if he can work on his passing from the left hand (no doubt he will), Paddy Jackson (providing he can conguer his kicking yips), Jack Conan who seems to be an absolute monster: 6' 6" and 110kgs :eek:, yet very mobile, Hanrahan and Foster Horan who both look very dangerous in attack and Shane Layden who seems to be able to do no wrong.

It's hard to know about the front five at this stage; they seem to be quite light but so far a fairly effective unit, it's the next few years that will really tell if they can make the step up.

Henderson, Gilsenan, McGrath, Jackson, Hanrahan, Farrell and Leyden are the ones I would be looking out for in the future but either way it will be interesting to see who makes it and who doesn't. There's also a young fullback/centre called Peter Nelson up at Ulster who would probably be in the side if he was fit, he's already played twice for Ulster and he'd be one I'd be keeping my eye on too.

Of course the big test will be when they step up to Pro 12 level. Not all of them will make it unfortunately. I'd have put good money on Paul O'Donohoe and Ian Keatley being the next Stringer/O'Gara partnership for Ireland a few years ago, now POD is down the pecking roder at Connacht and Keatley is still behind ROG.

Henderson was the player I've been most impressed with so far tbh.

My brother's team travelled to play Belfast Queens during the season, and there was discussions mid week about Henderson's availabilty. There was a collective sigh of relief when it was discovered on the day that he wasn't going to be playing.

He's an utter monster, with very impressive hands for someone of his size. Looking forward to seeing him in the Pro12 in the next 3/4 seasons.

My brother's team travelled to play Belfast Queens during the season, and there was discussions mid week about Henderson's availabilty. There was a collective sigh of relief when it was discovered on the day that he wasn't going to be playing.

He's an utter monster, with very impressive hands for someone of his size. Looking forward to seeing him in the Pro12 in the next 3/4 seasons.

I hope it's sooner than 3/4 seasons! He could do with a move to one of the Ulster sides that are likely to be Div 1A next season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Henderson has been the standout player for me also. He's going to be a serious player.

Tadhg Furlong and Michael Sherlock are both injured and would be in the 22, Furlong especially is a serious talent, played last year and only days too old to be available next season, been out for 8 months with a shoulder.

Not quite that big, he's only 6' 3"
    McGrath, JJ, Layden and Qualter seem to be the stand out players

ormond lad wrote: »
    Not quite that big, he's only 6' 3"
    McGrath, JJ, Layden and Qualter seem to be the stand out players
    Actually we both seem to be wrong, according to the IRFU site he's 6' 4"; 2" taller than Gilsenan but almost 2 stone heavier!

In fact having just checked, he's an inch taller and a kilo heavier than Jamie Heaslip.

Not bad for an under 20 :)

I thought he was excellent defensively and was partly responsible for holding up that French non-try at the end of the game that gave us the win. Turned over ball a good few times and has even managed to score a try. Could well be the number 8 we're looking for to replace Heaslip when that day comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

bamboozle wrote: »
    Henderson has been the standout player for me also. He's going to be a serious player.

Tadhg Furlong and Michael Sherlock are both injured and would be in the 22, Furlong especially is a serious talent, played last year and only days too old to be available next season, been out for 8 months with a shoulder.
    Tadhg played his first match back last Sunday when he turned out for Clontarf U20s against Lansdowne in the McCorry Cup. Hopefully he will be able to get enough game time to get himself back into the Ireland squad for the U20 World Cup in June - he would be a big addition to the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Tadhg played his first match back last Sunday when he turned out for Clontarf U20s against Lansdowne in the McCorry Cup. Hopefully he will be able to get enough game time to get himself back into the Ireland squad for the U20 World Cup in June - he would be a big addition to the squad.

yes i heard that, i'd expect to see him coming into the squad for the clontarf firsts in the AIL for the rest of the season. He's a huge fella

Advertisement