Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood Gym

Options
  • 15-01-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I contacted Westwood gym in Clontarf to enquire about joining for two months as I'll only be working in the area for two months. The guy informed me that I'd have to join for three months as 'three months is their minimum membership'. I said this was OK.

I then phoned Westwood in Leopardstown to ask the same question however this guy informed me that I could join for three months minimum but I'd have to sign a 12 month contract. I asked him to explain the logic behind me signing a twelve month contract if I only wanted to join for three months and he replied with 'well.... you see usually you have to join for 12 months minimum... we don't really accept short term memberships'. Obviously I then asked him why he had originally said 3 months was the minimum term but however!

Does anyone have any experience with this in Westwood? I was wondering if I signed the twelve month contract could I just cancel the direct debit after three months or what could happen? Or could I insist on signing a three month contract? (although I genuinely don't think this would be an option).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

There maybe a clause that you must give x amount of months notice to leave. I was threatened with a dept collection agency by David Llyod riverview as my contract had a 3 month notice.
    Just read it before you sign.
    If you join with the guy who promised you the 3 month contract you can use any Westwood so no need to sign with leopardstown for 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

Westwood is a joke, try different gyms. Where do you live? There are plenty of different gyms around north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Agree with others Westwood membership is a joke.
    No prices displayed, no prices giving over the phone. They want you in the office in front of you.

When you there they'll try to charge you a joining fee, then when you question it they will pop out and " have a chat with a manager" and come back with a lower fee that is only valid for today.

As for cancelling your contract, them and Jackie Skellys ( now closed) always get much deserved bad press here.

By signing a 12 month contract you will be held to it. If they do offer 3, pay cash upfront with no bank account details giving.

Which one were you going to join? Would you use the pool?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Basically OP is asking "can I sign a a contract in bad faith and then just bail on a legally binding commitment". Am I the only one that has a major problem with these Qs?!

There's TONNES of gyms that'll do 3 month deals. Or just join a Ben Dunne gym for a year and pay less than 2 months in Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

To be fair he wants to have a 3 month contract the honest way. They are not making it easy for him by trying to force a 12 month.
    We could all just get along if they would take his money for a 3 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I called in earlier and was told the following.
    • I will have to sign a twelve month contract, 100% no way around this.
    • They require 60 days notice in order to cancel the membership however, it would look 'suspicious' to management if I were to give the 60 days cancelation notice only after one or two weeks of joining.
    • You are not allowed to take home a copy of the Terms & Conditions, I would have to join there and then.
    ted1 wrote: »
    When you there they'll try to charge you a joining fee, then when you question it they will pop out and " have a chat with a manager" and come back with a lower fee that is only valid for today.

Which one were you going to join? Would you use the pool?

Funny you should mention the joining fee, because he wanted me to sign up immediately without even telling me that there was a joining fee until I asked. He said that normally the joining fee is €125 but today it is €31. I asked if it was €31 for the month of January as I will come back next week to join to which he replied 'well...it's only for the first 80 people that join in January...so it will most likely be gone by next week' :rolleyes:

Clontarf and yes I would be using the pool.
    Hanley wrote: »
    Or just join a Ben Dunne gym for a year and pay less than 2 months in Westwood.

I've been a member of Ben Dunnes for years but due to a work relocation I am no longer near a Ben Dunnes, plus I do really like all that Westwood has to offer. I was a member of David Lloyd Riverview for years and loved it and Westwood is the next best thing imo.

It all stinks of bad news but they obviously do incredible business if they have Clontarf, Leopardstown and Sandymount. They also provide 6 x 45min PT sessions upon joining which is quite good.

Does anyone have any experience with giving the 60 days notice? As in, are there any conditions which state you need to be a member for 12 months or more in order to cancel, or do you need to provide good reason in order to cancel etc.?

Thanks again

I know someone who worked as OP in WW Clontarf. Heard some stories, bad stories. I used to be a member there for 6 years and I gave up due to ignorant management especially general manager, if you try to get some points over to that person they that person will kick you out... They do not care about equipments or customers... They also might be pain in the ass if you want to cancel your contract, they might make your life hell. I heard it from ex OP in WW. Many people went to court with WW over it... And the PT they have is another joke... Staff and OPs are forbidden giving any prices over the phone, which is illegal according to customers rights... think twice before you join, and if you join AVOID general manager if you want to stick around for a little while... However, if you want to leave within 3 months, then piss general manager off, and she will kick you out straight away, problem solved..Many people did it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

i am a member of wastewood clontarf, and i can confirm its expensive, sometimes dirty -sometimes packed , and yes there are thief working in the male locker rooms :D- honestly someone nicked my mp3 player+headphone while i was on my session -silly me - using cheap locks that are sold at reception ,did not stop my man. Oh and the management does nothing about it , the filled some report on the computer then astalavista !!!
    i don't think they bother to compensate my loss even if i spend over a 1000 euros in their gym yearly. ah and the freeweights area is only tidy in the mornings . oh and if you start sweating like a pig and dont use towel dont worry staff will say nothing :) enjoy ! and welcome to the club!
    I have to say 1 more thing , fitness classes are acceptable -this keeps me here only and the close location. ciao

Ask general manager about your mp3 stolen, you will have a laugh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Hi all, I'm looking a gym/pool in the north dublin area and considered westwood, called into it tonight. After reading all the horrifying reports on boards, I actually didnt believe they could exist and how such a hard sell could exist! I am still shocked at how close the boards members reports bare reality. Firstly, I couldnt even get into the carpark, had to wait at entrance until security gaurd lets you through when a space is available. This place looks old and not ultra-modern from the outside like the prices might lead you to believe. A huge flow of traffic of people were entering and leaving and I am just baffled at it all, is westwood a status symbol or something?? Anyways, I inquired about pricing and was told to take a seat and someone would come over to me. A girl then came over and (a very bubbly friendly person who was very good at her job) offered me a tour. This place is deceptively massive. I could tell the subject of price was being avoided. After the tour, I was brought into one of many offices and eventually offered a price list. Anyone who wants prices, DM me, but lets just say, I thought the joining fee was the actual annual membership. Then the girl went off and left me for a few mins and came back, slashing the joining fee by over €300 as this was a May offer and I could have it until 10 o clock tonight. All I had to give was 50e and bank details. I made my excuses and left. Nothing new in my experience but I just wanted to state that any other shocking posts are EXACTLY true. A total hard sell and well over priced. I think I actually seen the famous manager parading across the leisure centre at one point-she looks like a nun out of sister act! I then went on and looked at ben dunne northwood. Complete opposite experience, girl at reception actually couldn't give two f**ks. I had to ask could I have a look around and whilst she played on her phone, she just sent me on to look on my own.

Anyone recommend a leisure centre in north dublin? Not pushed on either westwood or northwood

• Advertisement

Haha so you have seen the "manager" lady in Westwood hahaha:D yeah, she's nuts alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's the oldest sale tactic in the world. "This is e10 but for you it is e5".

The line given to myself and a friend who were using a 3-day trial was that some random couple were cancelling their membership and we could split the joining fee with them. This was Leopardstown. I'm still not 100% sure what the pricing was but needless to say I told them I wasn't interested. Still didn't stop them from ringing me every few weeks asking if I changed my mind yet.

I know someone very close to me who worked there in managing position for many long years. Stories I heard... Unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Had the most surreal experience in Westwood Leopardstown . My boyfriend and I recently moved to the area and while I'm so happy with Ben Dunne Sandyford we said we'd look at the pool area and use the free 4 day trial. Well, weird is not the word. We were brought into one of many offices it was ridiculously uncomfortable. Given the tour, the topic of price avoided until we were brought back into the office. 75pm with a 500euro joining fee! After much mumbling and excuses he popped out to his manager whoagreed to slash it to 75euro but we would have to sign up before 12! We honestly just looked at him in disbelief ! When we told him we would need time to think about it he literally got up and left and wasn't interested anymore! Absolutely surreal. Relaxation area was lovely but gym changing rooms etc very dated. It was like an old folks home there were so many old people there. Needless to say we will not be joining. It was like a weird cult

Had the most surreal experience in Westwood Leopardstown . My boyfriend and I recently moved to the area and while I'm so happy with Ben Dunne Sandyford we said we'd look at the pool area and use the free 4 day trial. Well, weird is not the word. We were brought into one of many offices it was ridiculously uncomfortable. Given the tour, the topic of price avoided until we were brought back into the office. 75pm with a 500euro joining fee! After much mumbling and excuses he popped out to his manager whoagreed to slash it to 75euro but we would have to sign up before 12! We honestly just looked at him in disbelief ! When we told him we would need time to think about it he literally got up and left and wasn't interested anymore! Absolutely surreal. Relaxation area was lovely but gym changing rooms etc very dated. It was like an old folks home there were so many old people there. Needless to say we will not be joining. It was like a weird cult
    Expect a follow up call every 2-3 months to see if you are still looking for a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Flyfit Macken st is 10 minutes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thank god I've seen this thread was going to look into joining the leopardstown one as liked the sound of the classes and facilities!
    But after seeing this think il be going to Ben dunnes
    Can I ask cherrywood vs sandyford Ben dunnes anyone have experience of either thanks

Thank god I've seen this thread was going to look into joining the leopardstown one as liked the sound of the classes and facilities!
    But after seeing this think il be going to Ben dunnes
    Can I ask cherrywood vs sandyford Ben dunnes anyone have experience of either thanks

I go to Ben Dunne Sandyford and I love it. I do 3 or 4 classes a week and one personal training session. It can be packed in early morning and after work but not too over crowded from my experience. Queues begin up to 20 mins before the class so bear that in mind. The one big pitfall is there is no pool but the showers changing rooms etc are spotless. I have friends who go to cherry wood and like it. It's great value, no frills but very clean and classes are top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Expect a follow up call every 2-3 months to see if you are still looking for a gym.
    I think surreal is a word that as really lost its meaning.

Sales person shocks all with unexpected sales attempt at during sales promotion.

Mellor wrote: »

Sales person shocks all with unexpected sales attempt at during sales promotion.

Mellor I work in sales & this guy had no social skills never mind sales skills. Surreal is the only word that describes it. Rambling nervously on about an event they had the previous weekend where, and I quote 'we had sandwiches' and how I might be lucky enough to backdate this bargain even though his manager suddenly had to 'nip out' and we had 20 mins to close the deal. Bear in mind we were there looking at each other while this guy rambles on about sandwiches for a good 30 seconds :/ Asking us the same questions over and over and going around in circles then just walking away from us when we wouldn't commit? We walked out of there asking 'did that really just happen?!'. SURREAL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

I'm a big fan of Westwood, the Clontarf branch anyway, and have been a member for over 12 years. I think it is the best gym of its type in the country.

There are a lot of mediocre gyms around that charge 50 a month. WW is 50% more expensive than these, but offers a lot more than 50% extra.

Of course it's not for everyone, and if the extra facilities aren't any good to you, then there is no point in paying extra for them - just like if all you want is a bed to crash in for the night, then a 4 / 5 star hotel is going to seem like a pointless rip off to you.

I'm a big fan of Westwood, the Clontarf branch anyway, and have been a member for over 12 years. I think it is the best gym of its type in the country.

There are a lot of mediocre gyms around that charge 50 a month. WW is 50% more expensive than these, but offers a lot more than 50% extra.

Of course it's not for everyone, and if the extra facilities aren't any good to you, then there is no point in paying extra for them - just like if all you want is a bed to crash in for the night, then a 4 / 5 star hotel is going to seem like a pointless rip off to you.
    I wouldn't call Westwood a 4 or 5 star. It's got small dingy rooms that werenoy purpose built . A 4 or 5 star would have well laid out rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Westwood a 4 or 5 star. It's got small dingy rooms that werenoy purpose built . A 4 or 5 star would have well laid out rooms.

Small, dingy rooms sounds like Leopardstown to me. If that is what you mean, I agree with you. I live on the south side but still cross town to go to Clontarf, although I would go to Leopardstown if stuck. I don't like the Sandymount branch at all.

4 / 5 star is just an analogy. Many of our 4 / 5 star hotels wouldn't compare to international standards, but they get that rating because they are the best we have.

Mellor wrote: »

Not sure what you're trying to get at here. The thing is, there never seem to be any sales promotion. No solid pricing plans are in place. They want you to call in, they assess your income and offer you a package. You reject it because it's a ripoff, so they come up with some weird excuse about how they can reduce it.

When I went there, I was with a mate who is a more experienced gym-goer and much higher earner than me, so the sales guy ignored me and focused on my mate and was kinda forced to offer us both the same price plan. I told him outright that it was too expensive for me. He rang a month later, asking if I thought about it, and I politely repeated that it was too much for me and I had joined a different gym for a year. Again, a month later, and again I politely declined. Again, two months later, and I told him to remove my name and number from his list. That's not sales. That's pestering and IMO, it's verging on cold-calling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Not sure what you're trying to get at here. The thing is, there never seem to be any sales promotion. No solid pricing plans are in place. They want you to call in, they assess your income and offer you a package. You reject it because it's a ripoff, so they come up with some weird excuse about how they can reduce it.

When I went there, I was with a mate who is a more experienced gym-goer and much higher earner than me, so the sales guy ignored me and focused on my mate and was kinda forced to offer us both the same price plan. I told him outright that it was too expensive for me. He rang a month later, asking if I thought about it, and I politely repeated that it was too much for me and I had joined a different gym for a year. Again, a month later, and again I politely declined. Again, two months later, and I told him to remove my name and number from his list. That's not sales. That's pestering and IMO, it's verging on cold-calling.

Most sales happen between the 5th and 8th touch point. He's right to follow up.

His follow up is **** because he's being a pest, but he probably wasn't trained any better.

If he was following up with helpful emails, free training programs, recipes etc etc I'm sure your reaction and outlook on it would be different.

...but yah - shocking sales process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I got the multiple phone calls after calling in for a tour also. I was quoted 300 joining fee which dropped to 100 after declining. This was in leopardstown

chooey wrote: »
    I got the multiple phone calls after calling in for a tour also. I was quoted 300 joining fee which dropped to 100 after declining. This was in leopardstown

Always use a fake number, when making any enquiry I aw lays use a fake number unless I'm actually intrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My point is that these are all pretty standard sales techniques.
    An sign-up fee and subsequent waving of the fee is almost expected. Follow up pestering, is again still standard sales process.

It's annoying, sure. And its clearly the lowest level tactics. I hardly consider it surreal. Sounds like the guy just isn't great at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Im a member and pay up front on credit card so havent experienced the BS involved with the sames dept.

From a workout point of view ,i cant fault the gym.They have totally renovated the gym and put in lots of new squat racks,dubbells, a 100 metre sprinting track ,added prowlers and sprint resistance equipment.Used the space which was a running track and replaced it with equipment thus optimizing the space.

They have classes running from 6/7 am until 9pm.Lots of circuit classes,TRX, Kettlebells, spinning, boxfit etc so you never get bored.

Yea,its more expensive than other gyms but i think ben dunne you have to pay extra to use classes?

As a gym it has everything and the people are sound although i dont have much interaction with the staff.

eye candy is also improving daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Did anyone ever actually pay for just 3 months membership i.e upfront.

Advertisement