Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Costa Conundrum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Selling for Aguero
    What to do:confused:

Already have Aguero and Pelle, the only possible change would be Costa to Welbeck. Is it even worth making this transfer at all?

The more news i hear the more convinced i am he won't start.
    And i don't like an expensive player to sit on the bench...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Already sold him (*cough* PARlance *cough*)
    wonski wrote: »

Already have Aguero and Pelle, the only possible change would be Costa to Welbeck. Is it even worth making this transfer at all?

Looking unlikely he'll feature this weekend, but he doesnt seem to have a long term injury and will have had 3 weeks off by the time QPR rock up to the Bridge.

Not worth transferring him out if he seems quite likely to be available for that game, after which he gets a crack at the Liverpool back 4 :eek: and then there is an international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Selling for Aguero

I didn't see the Arsenal game last night but work with a die-hard Arsenal supporter.

After last night's game, he said Wellbeck will never be in his team, even for the Burnley game. He reckons his finishing was terrible.

As I said, this isn't my own opinion but I'd trust the opinion of this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Selling for Welbeck/Lukaku/Berahino/etc.

Ship him out for Lukaku(c) :pac:

Lemlin wrote: »
    I didn't see the Arsenal game last night but work with a die-hard Arsenal supporter.

After last night's game, he said Wellbeck will never be in his team, even for the Burnley game. He reckons his finishing was terrible.

As I said, this isn't my own opinion but I'd trust the opinion of this lad.

He seemed pretty knackered last night and was taken off after 75'. I still think he's quite good value at 7.3m, but I don't see him being as explosive as most people hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Going back to my Hazard alternative last night. Do we think Costa will outscore Hazard or vice versa?

With all Mourinho's bigging up of Hazard over the past few weeks and wanting him to develop more of a killer instinct and be decisive in games it seems like Hazard is very much a project for Jose which could see a continued upturn in his performances.

Also I found this quote about penalties after Hazard let Drogba take one to get him off the mark:
    I have my choices and my choice is Eden is the first choice then after that Drogba, Oscar, [Cesc] Fabregas and Diego Costa are the ones in case Eden is not on the pitch.

Yes it's the Metro but the quotes are surely accurate: http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/22/jose-mourinho-unhappy-with-eden-hazard-handing-didier-drogba-sentimental-champions-league-penalty-in-chelseas-maribor-rout-4916069/

Who knows if that's a specific order or not but Costa doesn't even seem certain as 2nd choice. There'll be doubts about Costa every 2nd week even if he is fit or not ill whereas Hazard seems a lot more certain. I still think Fabregas is a very important player and will likely to tick over fairly well every week. All 3 seems overkill though.

The problem is Hazard could get 2 point for a week or 2 and then explode where Costa might get a goal in 2/3 games (making that up).

It's a risky strategy and it's not something I'm necessarily going to do but should be teased out anyway. I'm never comfortable going 3-5-2 either so there's that too:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He seemed pretty knackered last night and was taken off after 75'. I still think he's quite good value at 7.3m, but I don't see him being as explosive as most people hope.

That's a couple of England players suffering from being knackered. What is Hodgson doing to them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thinking of doing Costa to Pelle this week and then Welbeck back to Costa before QPR...The Aguero Costa Pelle front line is proving difficult to resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

There's no fear of Pelle going up tonight is there? That's the move I'll be making.

• Advertisement

There's no fear of Pelle going up tonight is there? That's the move I'll be making.

Looks like Pelle up, Costa down tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Looks like Pelle up, Costa down tonight

Right so, I'll do that right now:) Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would say there are very few people that expect Welbeck to score big. It's hope more than anything. A little bit of potential thrown together with a starting spot in a top four team that create chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Only way Costa is going out of my team is if he's ruled out for 3 weeks or more, or if another premium striker starts firing

Costa out for Pelle done. Feels good :)

Amazing what a few days of this game can do to a man's mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lol, reminds me of this

To Paraphrase the Simpsons

Ziegler : What's done is done I've bought Costa and I'm not gonna try and weasel out of it.
    Homer : Ah Ziegler, Weaseling out of things is important. It's what separates us from the animals..... Except the weasel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Selling for Aguero
    You know what? I am starting to think he will be just fine.

Released from hospital is a good sign, isn't it:D

:pac: Probably why I'm single....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Selling for Aguero
    I'm starting to feel a bit angsty about ADM and Costa. They're both marked injured and I've made all my transfers. I'd really rather not have two subs come in. One would be grand but two would hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

From The Guardian

" unlikely Costa will be able to start the game at Old Trafford."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Selling for Aguero
    G1032 wrote: »
    From The Guardian

" unlikely Costa will be able to start the game at Old Trafford."

That article was already posted earlier.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    That article was already posted earlier.

Sound. No harm done.

Selling for Aguero
    I'm starting to regret doing my transfers so early. Lesson learned. And I'd been doing so well at not doing anything silly this season. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Selling for Pelle
    I'm starting to feel a bit angsty about ADM and Costa. They're both marked injured and I've made all my transfers. I'd really rather not have two subs come in. One would be grand but two would hurt.

I have ADM, Costa and Azpi!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,164 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Waiting for more news
    Decision made ........... selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Selling for Aguero
    It is interesting that nobody, including Jose, has said categorically, that Costa will miss the United game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Sold. No place for loyalty in this game. Lesson learned from previous seasons.

I had a look again at the FFS Hall of Fame top ten to see if any transfers were made since Tuesday

3 players made transfers since Tuesday. Two of them made 2 transfers and 1 made 1 transfer.

Educated guessing leads me to believe that just 3 of them have sold Costa.
    I'm also guessing that the Baines ownership amongst those 10 players has now risen to 6.

I'm glad now that I didn't cave and sell Costa. If he doesn't feature this weekend then so be it but I won't be wasting either trasnfers or money trying to get him back in next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

So far...;)

I had a look again at the FFS Hall of Fame top ten to see if any transfers were made since Tuesday

3 players made transfers since Tuesday. Two of them made 2 transfers and 1 made 1 transfer.

I'm also guessing that the Baines ownership amongst those 10 players has now risen to 6.

I'm glad now that I didn't cave and sell Costa. If he doesn't feature this weekend then so be it but I won't be wasting either trasnfers or money trying to get him back in next week.

Happy to wait through the weekend. Don't expect him to feature against United but Super George Boyd had a great game for Burnley last week, hitting the bar as well as scoring and is against an Everton defence that give up a lot of chances. He'll do for me.

So far...;)

Ya, but I'd think he'd have been sold last night before the second drop or not at all......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Ya, but I'd think he'd have been sold last night before the second drop or not at all......

Well, you'd think so, but that price drop might not have affected everyone depending on what price they got him in at. Last nights drop wouldn't have affected my selling price.

Edit, of course Pelle was rising so if that's the move they were making it would have made a lot of sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

maximo31 wrote: »
    Sold. No place for loyalty in this game. Lesson learned from previous seasons.

What about from previous GWs this season? This has the familiarity of the build-up to the Everton game (thankfully I didn't sell then, either!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Selling for Aguero
    What about from previous GWs this season? This has the familiarity of the build-up to the Everton game (thankfully I didn't sell then, either!).

My conundrum is whether I'm gonna captain him or not.......him or aguero.....play it safe or go for gold :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Press conference today will be interesting. I wonder will Jose even confirm what Costa's status actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

My selling of Costa will only be deemed successful should Pelle have another great weekend. Or if he's ruled out for the QPR game as well as the Utd one.... provided he is ruled out of the Utd game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Selling for Aguero
    Press conference today will be interesting. I wonder will Jose even confirm what Costa's status actually is?

even if he says he's out I won't really believe him!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Selling for Aguero
    My selling of Costa will only be deemed successful should Pelle have another great weekend. Or if he's ruled out for the QPR game as well as the Utd one.... provided he is ruled out of the Utd game!

I also have Pelle but I cannot see him scoring double figures against Stoke. 6-9 points is my guess....

Jose takes centre stage at 1pm.

Should be able to follow it here http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-manchester-united-v-chelsea-7992256

Selling for Aguero
    I *really* hope Costa plays against United.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Selling for Aguero
    Keeping, still think there's a small chance he'll play. If not, I don't want to take the price hit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Me too, and then gets sent off :)

Can't see it unfortunately, from the information out there is reputable sources like the Guardian (see below) he seems to have been treated for the groin injury, and therefore has not trained, however it doesn't indicate that there is any long term groin problem.

So given that the infamous hamstring has now had two weeks rest (and will have had three by the QPR game if he doesnt play this weekend) and assuming the groin thing clears up I'd expect him to return against QPR and score at least 5 goals to make up for lost time and blow the minds of those who sold him!! :D
    José Mourinho had been cryptic as to the nature of Costa’s absence for Saturday’s victory at Crystal Palace but did suggest the £32m signing from Atlético Madrid had yet to overcome the hamstring problem. But, while that complaint would have required a period of rest to be cured – he has missed his team’s past two games and will effectively have sat out a fortnight by the time the team visit United – the 26-year-old needed intensive treatment this week on the groin injury.

That remains the main concern and, having been unable to take part in training, there is an acceptance within the club’s medical staff that it is unlikely Costa will be able to feature at all at Old Trafford.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/23/diego-costa-chelsea-manchester-united-groin-strain

Selling for Aguero
    FHFC wrote: »
    Can't see it unfortunately, from the information out there is reputable sources like the Guardian (see below) he seems to have been treated for the groin injury, and therefore has not trained, however it doesn't indicate that there is any long term groin problem.

So given that the infamous hamstring has now had two weeks rest (and will have had three by the QPR game if he doesnt play this weekend) and assuming the groin thing clears up I'd expect him to return against QPR and score at least 5 goals to make up for lost time and blow the minds of those who sold him!! :D

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/23/diego-costa-chelsea-manchester-united-groin-strain

Damn. Well then, I shall change my plea to: "I really hope ADM is fit."

Never making my transfers on a Tuesday ever again. Really seemed to have set this gameweek up for a bit of a fall. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Selling for Aguero
    Can anybody find out what day he was in hospital and when did he leave?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Waiting till 1 pm for press conference.

Pretty certain I'm wildcarding next week so may sell him for Aguero for a week.

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »
    Can anybody find out what day he was in hospital and when did he leave?

He came out on Wednesday I think, but thats only from memory of reading articles. However I think the hospitalisation for stomach cramps is a bit of a red herring. He got a bug and they kept him in hopsital, it should be long gone.

The groin seems to be the issue.
    Damn. Well then, I shall change my plea to: "I really hope ADM is fit."

Never making my transfers on a Tuesday ever again. Really seemed to have set this gameweek up for a bit of a fall. :o

Whats probably most likely is that Jose will come out in 10 minutes and change the whole picture again.

"We are trying [with Costa] we will see what between today, tomorrow and Sunday.

"I will consider nothing at this time. I will see tomorrow after the training session.

"I studied Man United the best I could but I didn't make any decision."

Half-life 3 confirmed! I mean Costa confirmed.

Selling for Aguero
    " he has a chance , a little chance "
    :D probably too risky to captain him ....

km79 wrote: »
    " he has a chance , a little chance "
    :D probably too risky to captain him ....

30 min cameo

Selling for Aguero
    30 min cameo

he will start if he plays at all
    prob safer go aguero as tempting as a captain Costa is with so many selling

• Advertisement
Advertisement