Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

knockon wrote: »
    The thread is regarding the proposal to ban firearms. Farrells reply on the proposal was ill informed in my own opinion as his party are about to try and ban my sport. My reply is not sleaze, its a fact.

his party are not banning your sport, the AGS, is.

In a confrontation , you need support from people at the table.

let me put it simply

You fall behind in your loan repayments, you are called in by you bank manager for a chat to establish what can be done.

do you
    (a) Put up photographs of him involved in a dodgy deal somewhere and then go in cheerily and say " whats the prob mate"?

(b) Meet him in the pub and say " I here you're a reasonable guy, fancy a pint".

Remember, whose looking for the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

BoatMad wrote: »
    his party are not banning your sport, the AGS, is.

In a confrontation , you need support from people at the table.

let me put it simply

You fall behind in your loan repayments, you are called in by you bank manager for a chat to establish what can be done.

do you
    (a) Put up photographs of him involved in a dodgy deal somewhere and then go in cheerily and say " whats the prob mate"?

(b) Meet him in the pub and say " I here you're a reasonable guy, fancy a pint".

Remember, whose looking for the favour.

The proposed ban will be signed by the Minister. Not saying its going to happen - just saying how its supposed to happen. This is going to be a political decision. Perhaps your annoyed that I gave an example of your public representative and his an example of his judgement.

I agree with you "support from the table" but its already been decided we are going to be at the table and no one is listening (Ref: DOJ/AG Meeting last Summer when engagement with the stakeholders was discussed as... "wont be meaningful".

Don't know where your going with the bank manager analogy - .... I not looking for a favour. We want factual information from AGS, less personal ****e regarding ownership of restricted firearms from Civil Servants and a decision on factual information by The Minister (and a reminder to all the parish pump people including your chap Farrell what's going to happen to them at the ballot box if they don't do that). Not that unreasonable. PS - We're on the same side.

From Niall Collins TD Limerick - Fianna Fáil Justice Spokesman.
    "Hi Knockon,
    I'm fully aware of this issue as a concern to you and your colleagues.
    I'm meeting next week with Des Crofton of the NARGC.
    I can meet you at my clinic....etc"

Kieran O Donnell TD Limerick.

"I will meet you on Monday"

Met Niall Collins TD, Fianna Fail Justice spokesman today. He told me that the situation was not helped by his own party and Dermot Ahearn. He acknowledged the information regarding the proposals from DOJ/AGS and the fact that the info in our opinion is flawed. He is meeting the NARGC this week and he said they need to listen to what they have to say. He also mentioned a few of his own party whom are holders of firearms certificates who I wont be mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The proposed ban will be signed by the Minister. Not saying its going to happen - just saying how its supposed to happen. This is going to be a political decision. Perhaps your annoyed that I gave an example of your public representative and his an example of his judgement.

I agree with you "support from the table" but its already been decided we are going to be at the table and no one is listening (Ref: DOJ/AG Meeting last Summer when engagement with the stakeholders was discussed as... "wont be meaningful".

Don't know where your going with the bank manager analogy - .... I not looking for a favour. We want factual information from AGS, less personal ****e regarding ownership of restricted firearms from Civil Servants and a decision on factual information by The Minister (and a reminder to all the parish pump people including your chap Farrell what's going to happen to them at the ballot box if they don't do that). Not that unreasonable. PS - We're on the same side.

You are avoiding my point,

There is nothing to be gained by making remarks about the situations regarding TDs that do not help our point of view.

If we fail to get listened too, then we have much to blame about the way we have gone about this in the past.

Ultimately all we can do is try, perhaps even kick this to after the GE. if we are not listened too , theres nothing else we can do, This is not IW,

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Just a heads up, The STAR (rag) has a 12 page pull out on gangland gun crime for the last 10 years in tomorrow's edition!! In light of the current proposals, depending on what way it's slanted it may be worth a look to see if there's any damage to the sport of shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

hurlsey wrote: »
    Just a heads up, The STAR (rag) has a 12 page pull out on gangland gun crime for the last 10 years in tomorrow's edition!! In light of the current proposals, depending on what way it's slanted it may be worth a look to see if there's any damage to the sport of shooting

It'll be full of sensationalist claptrap, obligatory photos of the "evil black Glock" and meaningless statistics pulled out of their ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

83 elected representatives attend the meeting today in Buswells hotel

Press and local politicians attending my clubs meeting in Cork tonight.

I met Kieran O Donnell TD Limerick today. I had a excellent 45 minute meeting. Not knowing much about our sport I gave him a bit of a whirlwind tour. I don't want to get too much into it only to say he was very interested in getting his teeth into it and he is going to revert to me in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I've emailed Eoghan Murphy a few times, still got no response from him. I'm disappointed by that as he has been communicative on other issues. Which reps were at the meeting in buswells? 83 is a fantastic number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I think our elected reps don't give a b☆☆☆x about our plight. It's all about water.... and claiming unvouched expenses before Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If it remains that way, and they are ousted before any changes then it's the next coalition/Government's headache. Might suit us both (shooters and Politicians). Some breathing room, and a chance to handle the matter properly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    If it remains that way, and they are ousted before any changes then it's the next coalition/Government's headache. Might suit us both (shooters and Politicians). Some breathing room, and a chance to handle the matter properly.

True. But in the interim AGS will operate their own legislation and drive us to drink. Some of them reckon 'ultra vires' is why we use sunblock on a Summer's day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Deaf git wrote: »
    True. But in the interim AGS will operate their own legislation and drive us to drink.
    They already have.

Now add the recent court losses to awarding of costs and you soon see that the proposals are their way of dealing with it. Supposition aside, they cannot implement their own legislation. I know what you mean, but the court losses and everything else in the last while has shown they are loosing that particular battle, and with no legal power to make legislative changes they must enact the law as it is.

Even this preconceived idea that they will refuse license until these proposals are dealt with is wrong. They can try, but if one of them was stupid enough to refuse anyone a license with the reason being as:

"I'm waiting to see if the Minister uses any of the proposed changes in a future amendment to the firearm Acts"

Then you can pretty much write your own ticket as it's illegal. The Gardaí must judge each application on the law as it is, not as they think it is or want it to be.

As said above i know the court cases show they are not doing this, but for the reasons above (losses & fees) they know this is not working like it used to.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Meeting in Cork today had nearly 150 attendees. Frightening the amount of people who are just hearing about this. Members of some different gun clubs there seem to have only heard about it in the last couple of days and said their clubs had no idea.

A spokesperson from the Sports Coalition was there. He apparently has it on good authority that this is just the beginning of a concerted effort from the AGS and the Minister for Justice to remove firearms almost completely from civilian hands.

Plans to abolish vermin control shooting, fox and pheasant hunting, deer hunting in anything other than .243 calibre and a few other things as well. Point made that farmers and those that think its mainly going to affect target shooters only need to realise that their sporting preference is in trouble too and all the talk of handguns and semi auto CFs is just a diversionary tactic to get the proposals through and then open the floodgates and get everybody else.

The support of the farming community and organisations is being sought and being regarded as a pretty vital bit of help needed to stop this.

I'm just reporting what was said tonight and can't make any claims to the veracity of what was said but everyone who spoke credentials seem sound so until I hear different I see no reason to doubt them.

regarding the meeting as buswells, seems it went very well and the 83 representatives who turned up were very supportive.

regarding the meeting as buswells, seems it went very well and the 83 representatives who turned up were very supportive.[/quote]

The true definition of 'supportive' is when 83 TD's put forward a motion to the Minister asking her to direct the Commissioner to administer the legislation as is and to hold out an olive branch to 100000 citizens

Otherwise it's just political speak for 'theres no votes for me in this' or 'I can't be ar€ed'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

Might as well ban "Fast Food Outlets" as I'm sure "CHOLESTEROL" kills a lot more people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

First they came for the pistols,
    And I did not speak out because who needs pistols anyway?

Then they came for the centrefires,
    And I did not speak out because nobody hunts elephants in Ireland.

Then they came for the rimfires,
    And I did not speak out because that's for Some Other Association to deal with.

Then they came for the shotguns,
    And there was no one left to speak for me.

- after Niemoller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

folks with regards to the suggestions, they have asked for , The sports collision says email firearms_inbox@justice.ie
    However , A press releases from the oireachtas says sends to
    Written submissions should be sent electronically by email (MS Word or equivalent) and should be received not later than 3pm on Friday 9th January 2015 at the following email address only firearmsreview@oireachtas.ie
    I went with the one on the oireachtas website and got an auto email .If people are sending in suggestions, it might be worth sending it to both emails.
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/name-25313-en.html

Out of interest , of the 83 who showed , what parties did the consist of, ff ,fg, labour , independents, sf ,members of the dail , seanad , local council.Any breakdown on that from somebody that was there ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Do you welcome the new AGS commissioner?

Poll in thejournal.ie

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-noirin-osullivan-garda-commissioner-1800217-Nov2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Do you welcome the new AGS commissioner?

Poll in thejournal.ie

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-noirin-osullivan-garda-commissioner-1800217-Nov2014/

Will it make any difference to the shooting community?????

clivej wrote: »
    Will it make any difference to the shooting community?????

Absolutely - continuing in the mould of previous commissioner.

ReplY from Martin Heydon FG TD

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to email me on this matter. I am very aware of this issue and have met many people involved in the shooting and gaming sports who have shared and highlighted their concerns to me.

As you mentioned, I attended a public meeting at Harbour House Sports Club at the invitation of Tommy O'Brien on Monday night of last week and I am visiting there again this Saturday. I also attended the briefing in Buswells by the Sports Coalition held on Tuesday.

Having taken on board the concerns highlighted to me I spoke at length to Minister Fitzgerald to explain the frustration that existed and the feeling that these changes were unfair, unjustified and were not being properly considered. I am happy that she has now extended the period for public consultation on the review document to the end of January which should allow more views from the public to be received.

I have also discussed the issue with my Fine Gael colleague David Stanton who is chairman of the all party Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice. His committee are also now holding a review of the proposals and they are separately looking for submissions from interested groups which will be considered by their committee in the New Year. They may also hold some public hearings to allow stakeholders the opportunity to put their views before the Committee. I am pushing that Tommy O'Brien and Harbour House Sports Club are given the opportunity to give a presentation to that committee.

The proposals are still under review by the Minister and her Department and therefore the work of the Justice Committee and the submissions received will all play a part in that review. They are not near a stage yet when politicians have any vote on them.

I would urge you and your sporting colleagues to actively take part in the consultation processes that are ongoing to allow your voices to be heard. For your convenience I have set out below the details for both consultation processes.

I will continue to keep in touch with members of the shooting community and to pass their views on to the Minister to try to ensure that whatever proposals are ultimately proposed are reasonable and fair.

Regards

Martin

1. Submissions on the Ministers Departmental review should be sent to : firearms_inbox@justice.ie or may be posted to
    Crime 4, Department of Justice and Equality, 94 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2. Closing dates for these submissions is 31 January 2015.

2. Submissions to the all party Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality chaired by David Stanton TD should be sent electronically by email
    and should be received not later than 3pm on Friday 9th January 2015 to firearmsreview@oireachtas.ie

Campaigners, take heart.

Let's get those submissions in - is it too soon to hope for "death by committee?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We are apprently causing some shock waves in the corridors of power,and the word is that the ruling party and Dear Leader wants this"made gone away " "fixed before the next general election." Could be a good sign or a bad sign.. Too early to tell.
    Keep lobbying,phoning ,emailing,writing.
    Never forgive,never forget :mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    We are apprently causing some shock waves in the corridors of power,and the word is that the ruling party and Dear Leader wants this"made gone away " "fixed before the next general election." Could be a good sign or a bad sign.. Too early to tell.

I'm not sure whether to be optimistic or even more disheartened, "fixed" or "made gone away" might not necessarily be in our interest if it's not fixed the way we would like it!! I personally disagree with te entire document, moreover AGS involvement in the process(this is due to the blatant anti-firearm/sports shooting agenda of a few members of AGS)

It should be interesting to see what happens when the deadline passes for submissions!!

On another more worrying note, we still have some people within out community who are prepared to forfeit or capitulate on some aspects I the review, from recent conversations cf pistols, cf semi-auto rifles and reloading! This need to stop we all new to sing from the same hymn sheet and IMHO this document is laughable for want of a better word!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

It's a good sign.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

On another more worrying note, we still have some people within out community who are prepared to forfeit or capitulate on some aspects I the review, from recent conversations cf pistols, cf semi-auto rifles and
    I don't see anyone willing to throw any other group to the lions.. Where are ye reading that! I think your reading between the lines a little too much.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    I don't see anyone willing to throw any other group to the lions.. Where are ye reading that! I think your reading between the lines a little too much.

Im not reading it on here Zxthinger!! It has come up in conversations i have had with shooters about the new proposals!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Im not reading it on here Zxthinger!! It has come up in conversations i have had with shooters about the new proposals!!

I don't have a cf pistol I don't have a cf rifle I don't have a semi- auto shotgun, but I am fighting these proposals because I feel they are wrong and unjust, I believe it is our responsibility if we hear fellow shooters picking the bits out that don't affect them, that we say wow hold on we are all in this together.
    Take your petition to them and make sure they sign it, then let them chat away if they like

Advertisement