Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

s8080 wrote: »
    I'm starting to think you're probably enjoy being a martyr, you have been told how to avoid being overcharged but cant be bothered.
    some people love complaining, woe betide me, why me,
    sure posters still come on here to bitch about dublin bus raising fares, when its pointed out to them the NTA set the fares they go quite.
    the dart stopped working ,posters bitch about dublin bus not putting on extra buses, when pointed out to them that can’t without the permission of the NTA they go quite

Not once have i claimed drivers are perfect, but when i point out that your anger is directed at the wrong target, posters can’t accept it
    Everything posters bitch about here has a explanation, when you are told the truth some can’t accept it and have a hissy fit.
    Ask your questions and i will answer them truthfully, press pause on your hatred towards dublin bus and read the answer i give you, then you might be able to accept the answer

Problem is you come on promising to explode myths and answer questions, and you're just avoiding answering questions or making up irrelevant edge cases.

I've often seen buses go past "full" with a couple of people standing downstairs, your response is to go on a rant about letters of complaint when people are asked to move upstairs, and then start talking about people in wheelchairs not being able to see if there's another wheelchair user on the bus. That's got absolutely nothing to do with it. For all I know there may be times when a driver's been directed not to stop - I'm just trying to find out if this is ossibly the case.

Then when I ask why somewhere between 10 and 20% of buses I get have the ticket machine set incorrectly, you start blaming me and calling me a martyr instead of answering the question. You also seem to be missing the point that even if I tell the driver every time it happens, everybody else who's already on the bus has the wrong ticket. Fortunately, other more helpful posters like AlekSmart are able to explain in a straightforward, coherent manner that there are in fact valid reasons why this can happen so often.

I said the vast majority of Dublin Bus drivers seem to be amiable people doing a good job, and you tell me to "press pause on my hatred for Dublin Bus".

I haven't seen you bust a single myth yet. Here, I'll give you one more go, because I genuinely don't know about this one:
    If ticket machines are regularly incorrectly set, showing the bus as being at an earlier stage than it actually is, then a passenger boarding and asking for a ticket to a particular destination is going to be overcharged as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd half to agree with the above. When I mentioned my issue s8080 immediately went on the defensive about the drivers. I didn't once mention the drivers or attempt to blame them in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

cdebru wrote: »
    A lot of the cash boxes the money falls straight through, some have no lights so the driver can't see the money, sometimes coins fall behind each other, so all he sees is a 2 euro coin, sometimes people through the money in as the machine is dropping the previous fare so it disappears sometimes the machine gets stuck so fares go on top of each other, so in answer don't be an arse, if you pop in 2.50 for a 2.35 just say it, then the driver knows you want a change ticket and how much you paid.

You see the other problem is a large percentage just Dont want a change ticket, so the driver prints one, the passenger walks off and the next passenger grabs the change ticket instead of their ticket and it all gets confusing.

A very valid point here,and one which points to a Flat Fare being the most reasonable approach to ending the absymally long Dwell Times on Dublin Bus Services.

It is now generally accepted (even if off-the-record) that the 2001 Wayfarer TGX150 has reached the limits of it's effectivity for BAC/NTA use.

The architecture of the machine imposes limitations upon what it can physically perform versus the tasks which are now imposed upon it.

The choice is between attempting to Life-Extend the TGX150 by means of Software Updates and Leapcard Tweaks OR to transfer completely to newer "fit for purpose" systems from either Wayfarer or one of the many other suppliers active in the sector.

The abolition of Cash Transactions is now an inevitability IMO,with large numbers of customers dropping in the excess amount and walking away,even in some cases telling a driver to "Keep the change !!".

Many Customers are of the impression that the Drop Safe incorporates a coin counter or that the Driver counts each amount...neither being true.

If I am challenged,I will remind customers that I CAN,if desired,count each amount,but as I would have to do this for every customer the journey time would increase significantly.

IF a Customer is concerned about their change ticket,I would recommend making it obvious to the driver,before or during the drop,that you are overpaying..a millisecond delay as you display the €2.50 or whatever is all it takes to allow a Driver to pre-enter that amount,thus automatically generating a change-ticket.

The Fare-Stage system we continue to operate in Dublin,belongs to an era long gone,a time when Conductors roamed the streets,each with the time and focus to delve individually into each individual customers requirements....that time is no longer available to a Busdriver tasked with operating in a modern urban environment,even more so when it is compromised by large scale disruptions such as LUAS BXD work.

The situation,for example,currently on display in O Connell St,whereby the ONLY DublinBus-Route (16) serving our International Airport is located adjacent to some of the most restrictive parts of the BXD road restrictions,yet it's Drivers are fully expected to peform the duties so rendolent of the 1950's Conductor as if nothing was amiss...FFS..The surrounding streetscape is more akin to the surface of Mars yet nobody even considered it slightly desirable to have a ticket-vending machine/operative at the Stop...just to give the Driver a sporting chance and the Customer an opportunity of a faster and smoother boarding experience....Would it be worthwhile ?....I say YES !...The Authorities (There are MANY of these) all go...."HMMmmmm....we don't really think so.... :( )

Off topic...?......NO it's not,as it cuts to the chase of what is so urgently required in Dublins Public Transport...FAR LOWER DWELL TIMES (Change required or NOT)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How do you know? Unless you have investigated many DB complaints yourself, you are guessing.

They might not be. How do you know that wheelchair users have been denied access to a bus because there already was a wheelchair on it, yet in their complaint they omitted to mention it?
    Or are you again guessing?

there are these magical places call canteens, every depot has one and also the mother ship canteen in city centre. it is at these locations that drivers congregate and feast on fine food.
    somehow drivers manage in between their lively debates on the merits of picasso’s work pre and post cubism and 17 century french poetry to regale each other with tales of derring-do and high adventure on the tarmac of dublin.
    Some of these tales told would be of drivers paying a visit to see the big boss man, where upon entering the office the big boss man would surprise the driver with a letter of complaint sent in by a member of the public.
    One common thread that runs through the vast majority of these complaint letters is the facts that the letter writer will chose to omit.

You ask “how do you know most complaints omit pertinent info?”
    the answer is drivers talk to each other, and swap war stories.

I'd half to agree with the above. When I mentioned my issue s8080 immediately went on the defensive about the drivers. I didn't once mention the drivers or attempt to blame them in my post.

you asked why no bus turned up.
    i told you the night shift cannot do the work in the allotted time to ensure all buses are ready for service in the morning. drivers are reporting for work on time, there is no unofficial strike .
    These are all facts.
    some who post here dont like facts that dont reinforce their anti dublin bus position.
    so i dont know what the "defensive about drivers " is all about, care to clarify or are you just happy to throw mud and hope some of it sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Some of these tales told would be of drivers paying a visit to see the big boss man, where upon entering the office the big boss man would surprise the driver with a letter of complaint sent in by a member of the public.
    One common thread that runs through the vast majority of these complaint letters is the facts that the letter writer will chose to omit..
    So purely anectodal evidence from drivers, not as the result of any investigation, cctv examination.

What about the other 3 questions?
    Peppa Pig wrote:
    Are all drivers shown the fully investigated complaints or just the ones who bus it was?
    Are there ever any justified complaints?
    How do you know the wheelchair complaints mostly refer to a wheelchair already on the bus, as you previously stated?

MOH wrote: »
    Problem is you come on promising to explode myths and answer questions, and you're just avoiding answering questions or making up irrelevant edge cases.

I've often seen buses go past "full" with a couple of people standing downstairs, your response is to go on a rant about letters of complaint when people are asked to move upstairs, and then start talking about people in wheelchairs not being able to see if there's another wheelchair user on the bus. That's got absolutely nothing to do with it. For all I know there may be times when a driver's been directed not to stop - I'm just trying to find out if this is ossibly the case.

Then when I ask why somewhere between 10 and 20% of buses I get have the ticket machine set incorrectly, you start blaming me and calling me a martyr instead of answering the question. You also seem to be missing the point that even if I tell the driver every time it happens, everybody else who's already on the bus has the wrong ticket. Fortunately, other more helpful posters like AlekSmart are able to explain in a straightforward, coherent manner that there are in fact valid reasons why this can happen so often.

I said the vast majority of Dublin Bus drivers seem to be amiable people doing a good job, and you tell me to "press pause on my hatred for Dublin Bus".

I haven't seen you bust a single myth yet. Here, I'll give you one more go, because I genuinely don't know about this one:
    If ticket machines are regularly incorrectly set, showing the bus as being at an earlier stage than it actually is, then a passenger boarding and asking for a ticket to a particular destination is going to be overcharged as a result.

i will answer any question asked, your problem is you don’t like the answer.

why would a bus with room pass you by at a stop?
    you could be drinking beer at the stop, you could have cause problems on the bus before, the word could have been put out on the radio “ do not pick up the passenger at stop xxx, they are trouble”
    Does this answers satisfy?

as you seem to notice the ticket machine is not set correctly, why don’t you inform the driver?
    if you are in a supermarket and a item scans the wrong price at the check out, do you tell the check out operator or bite your lip and come on here bitching about being over charged in the supermarket?

you ask if the machine is set wrong are passengers being over charged?
    the answer is NO.
    the simple fact is the driver has issued tens of thousand of tickets, when a passenger gets on at stop A and ask for fare to stop B the driver don’t even look at the ticket machine, they know how much it costs and press the button.
    No one is getting ripped off.

Happy now?

So purely anectodal evidence from drivers, not as the result of any investigation, cctv examination.

What about the other 3 questions?

the two modern wonders of GPS tracking and CCTV have resulted in the vast majority of complaints put in about driver been dismissed straight away.
    “the bus left early, i was at the terminus at 1450 the bus is supposed to leave at 1500”
    big boss man first checks GPS tracking, sees that bus was parked at terminus at 1450 and left at 1500. The complaint was lie.
    “bus did not stop for me’
    big boss man checks CCTV, bus full, passenger did not signal to bus they want to get on.

shock horror, sometimes the big boss man will show driver the CCTV of a complaint.”look at this, the complaint was you did not stop for this person at 1000 monday, tuesday and wednesday at stop xxx, there is not a soul waiting at the stop, some people just make up complaints for whatever mad reason”

you seem to think drivers do not talk to each other about complaints and visits to big boss man, if a driver is up with big boss man, when they go to canteen what do you think the topic of conversation is?

the two modern wonders of GPS tracking and CCTV have resulted in the vast majority of complaints put in about driver been dismissed straight away.
    It' like drawing teeth - what about the other 2 questions?

And I'll add one - how do you know about the complaints from different garages and head office?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

if you don’t want to believe me don’t.
    the fact is the workings of dublin bus are your hobby, you are probably one of these guys we see at the side of the street taking photos of buses and copying down the licence plate number in a note book. if this is what makes you happy i wish you all the best.

you come on here and share your knowledge of dublin bus, most of this knowledge is easily obtained on the dublin bus web site, i.e. time tables and which bus goes where.

then you have me and other drivers who have posted here, giving you info that no member of the public would ever know unless we told you.
    when you don’t agree with what we state you dismiss it, i have zero reason to lie, the more the public know about how dublin bus really works the easier my job gets.
    example, monday morning a regular gets on my bus at terminus starts complain to me about the fare increases , i explain it was not dublin bus who sets the fares but the NTA. next morning man gets on the bus “ i checked what you said, its true, i did not know that”. he then curses the NTA and does not have a go at me..

Well I find it not too surprising, given the tone of your posts to date, that you find it necessary to descend into attacking the poster, rather than dealing with the content of the post. You don't know the first thing about me, my background or interests, yet when I question the validity of what you're saying in some of your posts, you deem it ok to make frankly a very insulting post about me.

I would suggest it might be better to focus on the content of my posts rather than making all sorts of assumptions about me.

well here is a little bit of info that you would not know.
    new timetables and some route changes are coming for routes 11,14,45a,145.

Wowee, bus company in potential schedule review shock.

You may well be right, but given the lengthy to-ing and fro-ing that goes on with any proposed schedule/route change, be it internally with drivers or externally with the NTA, I don't think I'll hold my breath. I'll wait until something appears on the DB website confirming that changes are happening. We're still waiting on the Network Direct changes for North Dublin, nearly three and a half years after they were first proposed.

• Advertisement

It' like drawing teeth - what about the other 2 questions?

And I'll add one - how do you know about the complaints from different garages and head office?

there is a large canteen in city centre where drivers from all the depots meet, drivers transfer between depots , drivers have friends in other depots, drivers talk to each other, depots are not at war with each other.

lxflyer wrote: »
    , you deem it ok to make frankly a very insulting post about me.

I would suggest it might be better to focus on the content of my posts rather than making all sorts of assumptions about me.

I'll wait until something appears on the DB website confirming that changes are happening.

So you think it is a insult to be called a Bus Enthusiasts?
    i don’t think there is anything wrong with them, i admit i don’t understand why they like buses, but i wish them all the best.

Then you admit you will get your info on the dublin bus web site, yet you post as if you are a expert ,as i stated you have no knowledge of how dublin bus works and you just proved it.

no wonder people don’t know how dublin bus work, they come on here and look for answers and you present yourself as a expert.

there is a large canteen in city centre where drivers from all the depots meet, drivers transfer between depots , drivers have friends in other depots, drivers talk to each other, depots are not at war with each other.
    Well you don't want to answer all my questions and the answers provided can be summed up in "my mate told me", with not once piece of evidence to back up your claims.

This is not a mythbuster thread, it's a myth creator thread, creating myth about the NTA, DB management and passengers.

It seems to me you would have a great job if there were no passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So you think it is a insult to be called a Bus Enthusiasts?
    i don’t think there is anything wrong with them, i admit i don’t understand why they like buses, but i wish them all the best.

Then you admit you will get your info on the dublin bus web site, yet you post as if you are a expert ,as i stated you have no knowledge of how dublin bus works and you just proved it.

no wonder people don’t know how dublin bus work, they come on here and look for answers and you present yourself as a expert.

With respect you made a lot of comments about who I am - that's against boards.ie rules - check them out. Who I am (or what my interest is) are of no consequence whatsoever to the argument.

You're making a lot of assumptions about what I know and what I don't know, yet not once have you provided actual backup to your statements regarding the NTA. I find it rather amusing that you seem to need to focus on me rather than the actual issues at hand. At the same time other drivers who have posted here for far longer are completely contradicting you.

You misrepresent me. I said with regard to schedule changes I would wait until they appear on the website. Anything can and usually does change until that happens. Schedules have been ready to go before and got pulled at the last minute before you know. The only time any schedule change is cast in stone is when it appears online.

Making that statement doesn't equate to that being the only source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

i will answer any question asked, your problem is you don’t like the answer.

why would a bus with room pass you by at a stop?
    you could be drinking beer at the stop, you could have cause problems on the bus before, the word could have been put out on the radio “ do not pick up the passenger at stop xxx, they are trouble”
    Does this answers satisfy?

No, actually, none of those answers are satisfactory explanations for why I've stood with other passengers at rush hour going to work while buses failed to stop with no more two or three passengers standing. I will concede that sometime we fail to all hide our collective beer in time and this may be a factor. And I admit it is possible I have caused problems on a bus before by pointing out to a driver that his ticket machine is incorrectly set, which is obviously such a rare event as to have a passenger blacklisted for life.

as you seem to notice the ticket machine is not set correctly, why don’t you inform the driver?
    if you are in a supermarket and a item scans the wrong price at the check out, do you tell the check out operator or bite your lip and come on here bitching about being over charged in the supermarket?

you ask if the machine is set wrong are passengers being over charged?
    the answer is NO.
    the simple fact is the driver has issued tens of thousand of tickets, when a passenger gets on at stop A and ask for fare to stop B the driver don’t even look at the ticket machine, they know how much it costs and press the button.

Happy now?

Thank you so much. You've finally actually answered a question. I was uncertain as to whether a driver keys a destination code into the ticket machine and the machine decides the fare, or it's based on the driver's knowledge. I'm genuinely relieved to know that the driver determines the fare, and my fellow passengers are not being overcharged.

It actually makes no difference to me, since I just state the correct fare and pay that rather than a destination. I realise this is against standard Dublin Bus practice, but it has become a habit, which I apologise for. Perhaps this minor act of rebellion partly explains why I've been left standing at the stop by "full" buses. I should probably stand at a stop on my own to avoid dragging other passengers down with me.

As to your other question, if I'm overcharged in the supermarket I would usually go back and take advantage of Tesco's "double the difference" guarantee. Unfortunately, it's never happened to me, so my net gain there is zero.
    I have occasionally pointed out to drivers that their machines are incorrectly set. While their response has been generally positive, it takes me a while to get going in the morning and I frequently forget to check. For this I bear full responsibility. I also dislike confrontation and, especially if the stop is busy, I am reluctant to delay boarding further by arguing over my ticket. I feel most drivers appreciate this, as the delay due to the time it takes for the ticket machine to switch over to Leap mode is bad enough for all parties concerned, without some idiot passenger moaning about incorrect stage settings.

I apologise for my spinelessness. I will in future refuse to be a victim. If I am ever again faced with a choice between quietly paying the correct fare or refusing to let the bus move until the ticket machine has been corrected, and all previous passengers have been issued correct tickets, I hereby resolve to do the right thing, even if I lack Dutch courage from my bus-stop beer-swilling.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to engage in mythbusting for us unenlightened folk. If I may ask a final question, are you the one with the glasses or the beret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

you asked why no bus turned up.
    i told you the night shift cannot do the work in the allotted time to ensure all buses are ready for service in the morning. drivers are reporting for work on time, there is no unofficial strike .
    These are all facts.
    some who post here dont like facts that dont reinforce their anti dublin bus position.
    so i dont know what the "defensive about drivers " is all about, care to clarify or are you just happy to throw mud and hope some of it sticks?

In my original post I didn't say that the bus not turning up was the drivers fault. There could have been a fire at the depot for all I knew. In fact I didn't even mention the word driver in my original post. You, however, immediately assumed that I was having a go at the drivers and leapt to their defence. Hence my defensive about drivers comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

if you don’t want to believe me don’t.
    the fact is the workings of dublin bus are your hobby, you are probably one of these guys we see at the side of the street taking photos of buses and copying down the licence plate number in a note book. if this is what makes you happy i wish you all the best.

you come on here and share your knowledge of dublin bus, most of this knowledge is easily obtained on the dublin bus web site, i.e. time tables and which bus goes where.

then you have me and other drivers who have posted here, giving you info that no member of the public would ever know unless we told you.
    when you don’t agree with what we state you dismiss it, i have zero reason to lie
    Please don't personalise posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Happy now?

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Dear s8080

Do you have any idea why stops in Dublin are so close together? I have never been in a city where they are so close, in some cases less than 150m. Would drivers prefer if stops were spaced further apart?

As passenger I would prefer if there were less of them. I would have slightly longer to walk at the start of my journey but there would be less jolting and I would get there faster as there would be less stops.

Is this something that drivers have strong views on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Bray Head, I don't entirely agree with you but I can think of 1 example quite near me, on Upper Rathmines Road where there are 2 stops only 20 yards from each other. They are on the same side of the road with the same routes stopping at them.

There is a history behind why they are both there, but it no longer applies, yet these 2 daft stops cause confusion for passengers (and drivers) on route 140 to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In an attempt to address MOH's comment regarding Stage Updating,I'll give my own experiences.

The main reason for it happening so often is startingly simple.

STAGES ARE NOT PHYSICALLY MARKED ONSTREET.

The simple expedient of re-applying the stage marking which were comprehensively removed nearly a decade ago would solve the vast majority of the problem.

Why any Company purporting to utilize a Fare-Stage based system decided to remove the Stage Markings remains a total mystery,but remove them they did,with great dedication and perseverance.

This low-tech regressive act resulted in Customers & Staff alike being pitted against each other in an arcane test of route and stop knowledge that has lasted the decade since.

Why...?.....I have no idea,however it pre-dates the NTA so they can push their chests out and tut-tut to infinity.

Following the Stage Marking removal,it was then down to individual drivers (and customers) dedication and route knowledge as to where individual stages were located.

The simplicity of updating the Stages,is perversely,one of the reasons for it occuring so often...It is,by far,the easiest element of Ticket Machine Operation to forget in the heat of a driving day/night.
    Added to this is the fact that the stage number is the same size as the remainder of the numbers which appear on the TIM Screen,which makes it less easy for a driver to spot the error until too late.

Making the Stage Number a larger size and placing it centrally on the TIM screen would have added to its conspicuity,but that never occured either.

All of the above is,of course,easier to deal with when one is paying cash and can check their ticket immediately by reading the printed information (IF you get a wrongly staged ticket,SHOW It to the Driver IMMEDIATELY,as it must be annuled before the following customer is ticketed)

Leapcard's present a slightly different case,as the ONLY method the customer has of checking is the TIM display which is quite momentary,so a sharp lookout is required.

If a Leapcard user does spot a misfare,then the transaction can be annulled within a two-minute window.(Irrespective of folowing transactions).

The good news is that in early 2015,Automatic Stage Updating (via GPS) will be implemented,thus ending over a decade of undesirable uncertainty and avoidable unpleasantness...;)

Meanwhile,it is worthwhile taking the time to check out the Fare Calculator Tab on www.dublinbus.ie, ,currently the ONLY place one can cross reference the Stage Number with the actual Bus-Stop Number (Be warned however,some discrepancies may still be found :eek:)

Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    You're not telling me that in order for the information on ticket machines to be correct, the driver must MANUALLY input his location at every stage? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

JayRoc wrote: »
    Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    You're not telling me that in order for the information on ticket machines to be correct, the driver must MANUALLY input his location at every stage? Seriously?

Yes they have to be updated manually despite all the modern technology available that could otherwise be used.

Not only that but there are no visible markers on the roads / stops as to where they should be updated and rely on driver route knowledge and memory. Stops used to display stages but these were systematically removed over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

AlekSmart wrote: »
    In an attempt to address MOH's comment regarding Stage Updating,I'll give my own experiences.

The main reason for it happening so often is startingly simple.

STAGES ARE NOT PHYSICALLY MARKED ONSTREET.

The simple expedient of re-applying the stage marking which were comprehensively removed nearly a decade ago would solve the vast majority of the problem.

Why any Company purporting to utilize a Fare-Stage based system decided to remove the Stage Markings remains a total mystery,but remove them they did,with great dedication and perseverance.

This is very interesting.

So, theoretically, if one was challenged by an inspector for staying four stages on a 1-3 stage ticket, would one really be liable for a fine? Particularly on a leap cards where the destination is displayed on a hard-to-read screen for a few seconds.

One could very easily make the point that you stated your destination, and were charged for a 1-3 stage journey. Given that there are close to zero ways for a passenger to know anything about the stage system and correct a driver error, can a passenger ever be in the wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Bray Head wrote: »

So, theoretically, if one was challenged by an inspector for staying four stages on a 1-3 stage ticket, would one really be liable for a fine? Particularly on a leap cards where the destination is displayed on a hard-to-read screen for a few seconds.

One could very easily make the point that you stated your destination, and were charged for a 1-3 stage journey. Given that there are close to zero ways for a passenger to know anything about the stage system and correct a driver error, can a passenger ever be in the wrong?

You could use the fare calculator on the Dublin bus app/website, however it is often wrong as well, as it lists stages differently to the ticket machine, different name, wrong location etc. Basically DB are not 100% sure where all their stages are, some are named after a pub or shop that existed 20,30,40,50 who knows how many years ago, that most people dont know ever existed never mind where it was.
    The DB fare calculator was designed by someone who didn't understand the basics of how the stage fare system works. So it has mistakes all over it like giving different fares for the same journey in different directions and not being able to take account of "phantom" stages ( ie stages without stops).

But yes DB probably would not have a leg to stand on

MOH wrote: »
    No, actually, none of those answers are satisfactory explanations for why I've stood with other passengers at rush hour going to work while buses failed to stop with no more two or three passengers standing. I will concede that sometime we fail to all hide our collective beer in time and this may be a factor. And I admit it is possible I have caused problems on a bus before by pointing out to a driver that his ticket machine is incorrectly set, which is obviously such a rare event as to have a passenger blacklisted for life.

Thank you so much. You've finally actually answered a question. I was uncertain as to whether a driver keys a destination code into the ticket machine and the machine decides the fare, or it's based on the driver's knowledge. I'm genuinely relieved to know that the driver determines the fare, and my fellow passengers are not being overcharged.

It actually makes no difference to me, since I just state the correct fare and pay that rather than a destination. I realise this is against standard Dublin Bus practice, but it has become a habit, which I apologise for. Perhaps this minor act of rebellion partly explains why I've been left standing at the stop by "full" buses. I should probably stand at a stop on my own to avoid dragging other passengers down with me.

As to your other question, if I'm overcharged in the supermarket I would usually go back and take advantage of Tesco's "double the difference" guarantee. Unfortunately, it's never happened to me, so my net gain there is zero.
    I have occasionally pointed out to drivers that their machines are incorrectly set. While their response has been generally positive, it takes me a while to get going in the morning and I frequently forget to check. For this I bear full responsibility. I also dislike confrontation and, especially if the stop is busy, I am reluctant to delay boarding further by arguing over my ticket. I feel most drivers appreciate this, as the delay due to the time it takes for the ticket machine to switch over to Leap mode is bad enough for all parties concerned, without some idiot passenger moaning about incorrect stage settings.

I apologise for my spinelessness. I will in future refuse to be a victim. If I am ever again faced with a choice between quietly paying the correct fare or refusing to let the bus move until the ticket machine has been corrected, and all previous passengers have been issued correct tickets, I hereby resolve to do the right thing, even if I lack Dutch courage from my bus-stop beer-swilling.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to engage in mythbusting for us unenlightened folk. If I may ask a final question, are you the one with the glasses or the beret?

thank you for your service in busting dublin bus myths.
    you come across as a professional victim, when told how to avoid these terrible transgressions imposed on you, you can’t be bothered.
    you appear to suffer injustices at the hand of dublin bus every day, woe betide you.
    i see two other have joined you in your pity party.

what can be learned from your posts? you have a problem, you where told how to fix it, you can’t be bothered,
    this is what drivers put up with on a regular basis, people entrenched in their hate for dublin bus and don’t won’t to do anything to improve their situation, they would rather be miserable.
    now you are getting offended for other passengers on the bus, here is a suggestion, look after your self first and don’t get offended for others. you will have a happier commute.

Mahogany wrote: »
    lol :D

care to give any examples of being ripped off, or are they just in your imagination?

Dear s8080

Do you have any idea why stops in Dublin are so close together? I have never been in a city where they are so close, in some cases less than 150m. Would drivers prefer if stops were spaced further apart?

As passenger I would prefer if there were less of them. I would have slightly longer to walk at the start of my journey but there would be less jolting and I would get there faster as there would be less stops.

Is this something that drivers have strong views on?

everyone knows there are too many stops, drivers and passengers agree on this.
    but try take away a stop and watch people come out of the wood work to complain.
    look at the X services, always full, people want to get in and out of city centre as fast as possible with minimum stops.
    if 20% of stops where removed it would result in a faster service, it will never happen.

when was the last time anyone here had a inspector check tickets on the bus they where on?

inspectors are like aliens, many claim to have seen them, but when asked for proof they cannot provide it.
    its supposed to change in the new year, we will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

care to give any examples of being ripped off, or are they just in your imagination?

2.60 soon to be 2.80 is a giant rip off and middle finger to public transport users, well beyond the rate of inflation.

2.60 to the next town over from me which is 6km away, absolute joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Mahogany wrote: »
    2.60 soon to be 2.80 is a giant rip off and middle finger to public transport users, well beyond the rate of inflation.

2.60 to the next town over from me which is 6km away, absolute joke.

Sorry, but the joke is on you if you are willing to pay high cash fares when using a Leap card will be so much cheaper (€2.05).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement