Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How many single deckers they have left?

Whats that of 20 new singles?

Where would they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

s8080 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are permitted to apply to the NTA to operate additional services - there is nothing to stop them doing that, other than a lack of available buses and drivers.

Dublin bus cannot put on extra buses, NTA must approve , facts are they don’t approve.

That is not true in some cases. The NTA have approved changes to both the 44 and 142 routes for Dublin Bus recently.

The only thing is that the extension for the 44 to DCU is only from Monday to Friday's only. The terminus at Larkhill is only used on Saturday's and Sundays only.

The workload on the 142 is shared between Harristown for the peak journeys between UCD & Portmarnock.

Donnybrook has the Euro duty off-peak journeys every day that the 142 runs between UCD & Portobello Road.

Dublin Bus also have to apply for terminus changes to the NTA when Luas Cross City works are taking place in areas where it's remedial & construction work are in the most affected areas of Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

How many single deckers they have left?

Whats that of 20 new singles?

Where would they go.

3 WVs in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    so you cant refute anything i post, and this is what you have been reduced to.

this mess is a dublin bus bean counter original, the hand of the NTA is not involved.

ask any driver in the morning and they will tell you what i state is true.
    you never know it might be me who you ask.

post what you believe to be true about big bad dublin bus, and watch me tell you the truth, it will be some what different to what you think you know.

Well if you can show me hard evidence to back up your claims that the NTA dictated that summer schedules come in (rather than it being a cost cutting measure by Dublin Bus and one that better meets driver availablity) and that the NTA are dictating that staff affected cannot be redeployed on other buses to cover driver leave then perhaps I might believe you.

But so far all you have posted is conjecture which other drivers (who have been posting here for far longer than you) are denying.

I don't have an issue with Dublin Bus per se (in fact my record here has been to often defend them when people make unfair accusations), it's just the slant that you're trying to put on things which frankly is somewhat wide of the mark.

So you'll forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical of new accounts that suddenly decide to debunk various "myths".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Seems to be some issues in Dublin Bus today.

https://twitter.com/dublinbusnews/status/530268587282694144

Was there an unofficial dispute?

Was an hour and a half late for work because of these unforseen difficulties. Their much praised rti showed three buses which just didn't shown up. The next 3 were then packed and didn't stop. My stop is 8th on the route. Not the first time the bus has caused me to be late either.

From next week on I'm driving into work. It's just not worth the saving to get the bus. It's miserable, it's late more often than its on time and there are constant issues with drug addicts. I appreciate the last one isn't the bus companies fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

post what you believe to be true about big bad dublin bus, and watch me tell you the truth, it will be some what different to what you think you know.

What about the buses that go past "full" that appear to have seats free upstairs (though I accept that's sometimes difficult to tell from the ground) and clearly have no more than 3 people standing downstairs?

Why are many drivers incapable of setting their ticket machine correctly? It's a regular occurrence (at least once a week) that the machine is set at the wrong stage. And when it happens, the vast majority of the time it's set to a previous stage, making it appear I've underpaid my fare. If there's a driver change in the city centre, the new drivers sets the machine correctly, and then an inspector gets on, how am I supposed to prove my case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I don't quite understand why a bus user says the amount of the fare, especially when the driver doesn't bother to look at what a passenger has dispensed in the slot.

Just now I uttered the amount (of euro) required for my journey. "2.35 please" [dispensing 2.50]! The ticket is printed. Big pause. The driver expects me to go on my way. "Can I get my change please? ". "How much you put in?". Grumble grumble grumble in printing change.

This has happened a few times, once with a driver feeling embarrassed/slighted and tried to say "You're meant to say how much you're putting in". Eh, no you're not. Unless things had changed that day. In his head maybe.

So, it's DBs system. Why can't they utilise it correctly? And then they try to make out as if the passenger is the inconvenience. I'm surprised how many dummies take to a DB wheel on a daily basis. I only ever get the thing when I really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

MOH wrote: »

Why are many drivers incapable of setting their ticket machine correctly? It's a regular occurrence (at least once a week) that the machine is set at the wrong stage. And when it happens, the vast majority of the time it's set to a previous stage, making it appear I've underpaid my fare. If there's a driver change in the city centre, the new drivers sets the machine correctly, and then an inspector gets on, how am I supposed to prove my case?

It's the passengers responsability to have a valid ticket.
    Check your ticket when you get it and if it's wrong ask for a new one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well if you can show me hard evidence to back up your claims that the NTA dictated that summer schedules come in (rather than it being a cost cutting measure by Dublin Bus and one that better meets driver availablity) and that the NTA are dictating that staff affected cannot be redeployed on other buses to cover driver leave then perhaps I might believe you.

But so far all you have posted is conjecture which other drivers (who have been posting here for far longer than you) are denying.

I don't have an issue with Dublin Bus per se (in fact my record here has been to often defend them when people make unfair accusations), it's just the slant that you're trying to put on things which frankly is somewhat wide of the mark.

So you'll forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical of new accounts that suddenly decide to debunk various "myths".

if you don’t want to believe me don’t.
    the fact is the workings of dublin bus are your hobby, you are probably one of these guys we see at the side of the street taking photos of buses and copying down the licence plate number in a note book. if this is what makes you happy i wish you all the best.

you come on here and share your knowledge of dublin bus, most of this knowledge is easily obtained on the dublin bus web site, i.e. time tables and which bus goes where.

then you have me and other drivers who have posted here, giving you info that no member of the public would ever know unless we told you.
    when you don’t agree with what we state you dismiss it, i have zero reason to lie, the more the public know about how dublin bus really works the easier my job gets.
    example, monday morning a regular gets on my bus at terminus starts complain to me about the fare increases , i explain it was not dublin bus who sets the fares but the NTA. next morning man gets on the bus “ i checked what you said, its true, i did not know that”. he then curses the NTA and does not have a go at me..

well here is a little bit of info that you would not know.
    new timetables and some route changes are coming for routes 11,14,45a,145.

Was an hour and a half late for work because of these unforseen difficulties. Their much praised rti showed three buses which just didn't shown up. The next 3 were then packed and didn't stop. My stop is 8th on the route. Not the first time the bus has caused me to be late either.

From next week on I'm driving into work. It's just not worth the saving to get the bus. It's miserable, it's late more often than its on time and there are constant issues with drug addicts. I appreciate the last one isn't the bus companies fault.

the number of maintenance men who work at night has been cut, those who remain cannot clean, refuel and swap safe on all the buses in time before the buses go back into service in the morning.
    so in the morning drivers are reporting to work on time but there is no bus ready for them to take.
    simple really , not some driver conspiracy some would have you believe.

• Advertisement

What about the buses that go past "full" that appear to have seats free upstairs (though I accept that's sometimes difficult to tell from the ground) and clearly have no more than 3 people standing downstairs?

full buses with seats upstairs is another simple one to explain, no driver conspiracy at work here.

on some buses the little tv above drivers head that shows upstairs is not working, or the camera inside has shifted position and does not give a good view of up stairs.

the main reason a driver wont tells passengers to go upstairs, plenty of seats, make room for more passengers, is there is a strong chance of a complaint being put in against driver, then you have to see the boss, reprimanded and everything that goes along with that.

dear dublin bus,
    this morning i, along with 6 other members of the Dublin Hemaroid/Angina/Arthritis/Back Pain/Blood Pressure(take your pick) support group where heading into town for our weekly coffee morning.
    As it was rush hour the bus was very busy, we where standing down stairs, the driver repeatedly requested that passengers move upstairs. As this was not physically possible for our group we remained standing down stairs.
    The driver repeated his request for passengers to move upstairs, while he did not address us individually or as a group we felt like we where being picked on and bullied.
    It was very distressing for all of us, we where quite shaken , felt everyone on the bus was staring at us and passing judgement.
    It is obvious that the driver of the bus should be not be in a job where he has to deal with the public, we the Dublin Hemaroid/Angina/Arthritis/Back Pain/Blood Pressure group demand that you fire this driver with immediate effect.

Offended
    Dublin Hemaroid/Angina/Arthritis/Back Pain/Blood Pressure

Who needs this type of problem?
    so the driver keeps to themselves and just drives the bus and does not get involved when passengers don’t go upstairs.

Your wrong ticket problem, very simple when you get a ticket have a look at it, if its wrong tell the driver and they will give you the correct one.Drivers don’t bite. Don’t come on here complaining hours after the event, it can be resolved there and then when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

DB , BE and IR should all be privatized

Unions run these services

Mr_Red wrote: »

Unions run these services

could you give a example of how the unions run dublin bus?
    myth will be busted without effort

could you give a example of how the unions run dublin bus?
    myth will be busted without effort

I would think its quite clear

Any changes that DB want to implement, the Unions Block and Strike

It needs to be privatized with a Ryanair approach. No Bullsh1t

The Company you work for makes a loss every single year

The Company wants to change that without increasing the charge to the customer.

But they are blocked at every corner by your unions.

Unions answer to this is increase charges every year so they get what they want

The sooner it is privatized the better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So you have no actual proof beyond the usual nonsense spouted on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

so the driver keeps to themselves and just drives the bus and does not get involved when passengers don’t go upstairs.

Sounds like the drivers and management need to grow balls and stand up to these people.

So you have no actual proof beyond the usual nonsense spouted on here?

Not here

Its quite well publicized in the Media every single year.

As I said . people are paying twice for DB

1 via charged for tickets.

2. From the Exchequer

As I said. Privatize the Service with a Ryanair approach.

full buses with seats upstairs is another simple one to explain, no driver conspiracy at work here.

on some buses the little tv above drivers head that shows upstairs is not working, or the camera inside has shifted position and does not give a good view of up stairs.

the main reason a driver wont tells passengers to go upstairs, plenty of seats, make room for more passengers, is there is a strong chance of a complaint being put in against driver, then you have to see the boss, reprimanded and everything that goes along with that.

dear dublin bus,
    this morning i, along with 6 other members of the Dublin Hemaroid/Angina/Arthritis/Back Pain/Blood Pressure(take your pick) support group where heading into town for our weekly coffee morning.
    As it was rush hour the bus was very busy, we where standing down stairs, the driver repeatedly requested that passengers move upstairs. As this was not physically possible for our group we remained standing down stairs.
    The driver repeated his request for passengers to move upstairs, while he did not address us individually or as a group we felt like we where being picked on and bullied.
    It was very distressing for all of us, we where quite shaken , felt everyone on the bus was staring at us and passing judgement.
    It is obvious that the driver of the bus should be not be in a job where he has to deal with the public, we the Dublin Hemaroid/Angina/Arthritis/Back Pain/Blood Pressure group demand that you fire this driver with immediate effect.

Offended
    Dublin Hemaroid/Angina/Arthritis/Back Pain/Blood Pressure

Who needs this type of problem?

I seem to remember a poster recently decrying sarcasm as the lowest form of wit. Who was that?

And I already acknowledged that upstairs is a separate issue, my problem is buses with only a couple of people standing downstairs which clearly aren't full which still don't stop.
    Your wrong ticket problem, very simple when you get a ticket have a look at it, if its wrong tell the driver and they will give you the correct one.Drivers don’t bite. Don’t come on here complaining hours after the event, it can be resolved there and then when it happens.

Right. Tried that, but my leap card looks exactly the same whether I've been correctly charged or not. I'm not even going to know unless I make a point of waiting and checking the display. When it's working. And me complaining doesn't help all the previous passengers who've been given the wrong ticket.
    Again, you've completely avoided the question of why it happens so often. Is there some great complication in setting up the ticket machine properly?

this is the type of post i mentioned in the op. completely clueless.
    its just wrong on so many levels.
    dublin bus is not making a loss every single year.
    NTA set the fares not the unions(wtf)
    its the NTA who block the changes long before the unions even know about them.

there is a private operator running a local link service in the dublin area, the licence is for a 7 day service with last bus 2330.
    licence be damned, the last bus is 2000, i don’t believe it runs on a weekend.
    saved the best till last, this private bus service is part of the Free Travel scheme, yet it still charges free travel pass holders 50c to use the bus.
    “he can’t do that it illegal” he can and he does, the powers that be know and told him to stop charging 50c, he replied you are paying pennys if you don’t let me charge 50c to pass holders i will withdraw from the scheme and they can pay full fare.He never heard from the powers that be again.

roll on privatisation, it will be fun here.

I seem to remember a poster recently decrying sarcasm as the lowest form of wit. Who was that?

And I already acknowledged that upstairs is a separate issue, my problem is buses with only a couple of people standing downstairs which clearly aren't full which still don't stop.

Right. Tried that, but my leap card looks exactly the same whether I've been correctly charged or not. I'm not even going to know unless I make a point of waiting and checking the display. When it's working. And me complaining doesn't help all the previous passengers who've been given the wrong ticket.
    Again, you've completely avoided the question of why it happens so often. Is there some great complication in setting up the ticket machine properly?

that was not sarcasm, that is the type of letter that is sent in about drivers. Sad but true.

so waiting and checking the display would solve your problem but you won’t do it?
    looks like you are a willing victim

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Sounds like the drivers and management need to grow balls and stand up to these people.

dont be blaming drivers, all drivers start the job doing everything correctly, then the complaint letters are sent in and the management will turn around and blame the driver, so the driver say to themselves “i don’t need this, just keep the head down and say nothing”.
    this lie low attitude results in no letters of complaint, no visits to see the boss, and a easy life for the driver.
    honestly what attitude would you take, be proactive and get complaints or keep the head down and take it easy?

this here would be a perfect example of a complaint sent in, bus passed me by at stop and there was only a couple standing down stairs.

you have to realise most complains omit pertinent info.
    the person complaing might be in a wheelchair and can see that the bus already has a wheelchair onboard, of course they won’t put that in the complaint.

this is a simple example, to give you a idea what happens

that was not sarcasm, that is the type of letter that is sent in about drivers. Sad but true.

so waiting and checking the display would solve your problem but you won’t do it?
    looks like you are a willing victim

I'm starting to think you're probably just be a troll. I'm finding it difficult to believe that a driver would advise that every Leap passenger who boards any bus should wait and check the display in case the driver was incapable of setting his ticket machine properly? Would the driver then recall all Leap passengers on the bus and issue them the correct ticket? Dwell times would go through the roof.

And as far as mythbusting goes, what I've learned so far from this thread is:
    Everything is the NTAs fault
    When it's not the NTA, it's DB management
    When it's not DB management and appears to be a driver issue, it's actually the passenger's fault, for not take the time to check up on the driver
    But nothing, ever, is actually a driver's fault

If anything, it's closer to starting a myth that all drivers are incredible arrogant and can admit no wrong. Which I doubt, since the vast majority of them seem to be quite amiable people doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

you have to realise most complains omit pertinent info.
    How do you know? Unless you have investigated many DB complaints yourself, you are guessing.
    the person complaing might be in a wheelchair and can see that the bus already has a wheelchair onboard, of course they won’t put that in the complaint.
    They might not be. How do you know that wheelchair users have been denied access to a bus because there already was a wheelchair on it, yet in their complaint they omitted to mention it?
    Or are you again guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In an attempt to address MOH's comment regarding Stage Updating,I'll give my own experiences.

The main reason for it happening so often is startingly simple.

STAGES ARE NOT PHYSICALLY MARKED ONSTREET.

The simple expedient of re-applying the stage marking which were comprehensively removed nearly a decade ago would solve the vast majority of the problem.

Why any Company purporting to utilize a Fare-Stage based system decided to remove the Stage Markings remains a total mystery,but remove them they did,with great dedication and perseverance.

This low-tech regressive act resulted in Customers & Staff alike being pitted against each other in an arcane test of route and stop knowledge that has lasted the decade since.

Why...?.....I have no idea,however it pre-dates the NTA so they can push their chests out and tut-tut to infinity.

Following the Stage Marking removal,it was then down to individual drivers (and customers) dedication and route knowledge as to where individual stages were located.

The simplicity of updating the Stages,is perversely,one of the reasons for it occuring so often...It is,by far,the easiest element of Ticket Machine Operation to forget in the heat of a driving day/night.
    Added to this is the fact that the stage number is the same size as the remainder of the numbers which appear on the TIM Screen,which makes it less easy for a driver to spot the error until too late.

Making the Stage Number a larger size and placing it centrally on the TIM screen would have added to its conspicuity,but that never occured either.

All of the above is,of course,easier to deal with when one is paying cash and can check their ticket immediately by reading the printed information (IF you get a wrongly staged ticket,SHOW It to the Driver IMMEDIATELY,as it must be annuled before the following customer is ticketed)

Leapcard's present a slightly different case,as the ONLY method the customer has of checking is the TIM display which is quite momentary,so a sharp lookout is required.

If a Leapcard user does spot a misfare,then the transaction can be annulled within a two-minute window.(Irrespective of folowing transactions).

The good news is that in early 2015,Automatic Stage Updating (via GPS) will be implemented,thus ending over a decade of undesirable uncertainty and avoidable unpleasantness...;)

Meanwhile,it is worthwhile taking the time to check out the Fare Calculator Tab on www.dublinbus.ie, ,currently the ONLY place one can cross reference the Stage Number with the actual Bus-Stop Number (Be warned however,some discrepancies may still be found :eek:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I'm starting to think you're probably just be a troll. I'm finding it difficult to believe that a driver would advise that every Leap passenger who boards any bus should wait and check the display in case the driver was incapable of setting his ticket machine properly? Would the driver then recall all Leap passengers on the bus and issue them the correct ticket? Dwell times would go through the roof.

And as far as mythbusting goes, what I've learned so far from this thread is:
    Everything is the NTAs fault
    When it's not the NTA, it's DB management
    When it's not DB management and appears to be a driver issue, it's actually the passenger's fault, for not take the time to check up on the driver
    But nothing, ever, is actually a driver's fault

If anything, it's closer to starting a myth that all drivers are incredible arrogant and can admit no wrong. Which I doubt, since the vast majority of them seem to be quite amiable people doing a good job.

I'm starting to think you're probably enjoy being a martyr, you have been told how to avoid being overcharged but cant be bothered.
    some people love complaining, woe betide me, why me,
    sure posters still come on here to bitch about dublin bus raising fares, when its pointed out to them the NTA set the fares they go quite.
    the dart stopped working ,posters bitch about dublin bus not putting on extra buses, when pointed out to them that can’t without the permission of the NTA they go quite

Not once have i claimed drivers are perfect, but when i point out that your anger is directed at the wrong target, posters can’t accept it
    Everything posters bitch about here has a explanation, when you are told the truth some can’t accept it and have a hissy fit.
    Ask your questions and i will answer them truthfully, press pause on your hatred towards dublin bus and read the answer i give you, then you might be able to accept the answer

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How do you know? Unless you have investigated many DB complaints yourself, you are guessing.

They might not be. How do you know that wheelchair users have been denied access to a bus because there already was a wheelchair on it, yet in their complaint they omitted to mention it?
    Or are you again guessing?

loads of complaints come in to garage, “i was waiting for a bus this morning at 8am, i put my hand out in good time to signal to the driver i wanted to get the bus, the driver did not stop he kept driving by the stop, sack the driver etc,etc ………….

the pertinent info omitted from the complaint …………. the bus was full!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

loads of complaints come in to garage, “i was waiting for a bus this morning at 8am, i put my hand out in good time to signal to the driver i wanted to get the bus, the driver did not stop he kept driving by the stop, sack the driver etc,etc ………….

the pertinent info omitted from the complaint …………. the bus was full!
    Are all drivers shown the fully investigated complaints or just the ones who bus it was?
    How do you know that most complaints are missing the pertinent info?
    Are there ever any justified complaints?
    How do you know the wheelchair complaints mostly refer to a wheelchair already on the bus, as you previously stated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

the number of maintenance men who work at night has been cut, those who remain cannot clean, refuel and swap safe on all the buses in time before the buses go back into service in the morning.
    so in the morning drivers are reporting to work on time but there is no bus ready for them to take.
    simple really , not some driver conspiracy some would have you believe.

I'm not saying its a conspiracy or anything, nor am I saying its the driver's fault. What I am saying is I can no longer continue to use a company which has time and again proven itself to be unreliable for me. I will therefore use an alternate means of travel to work which will get me in on time and home faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I don't quite understand why a bus user says the amount of the fare, especially when the driver doesn't bother to look at what a passenger has dispensed in the slot.

Just now I uttered the amount (of euro) required for my journey. "2.35 please" [dispensing 2.50]! The ticket is printed. Big pause. The driver expects me to go on my way. "Can I get my change please? ". "How much you put in?". Grumble grumble grumble in printing change.

This has happened a few times, once with a driver feeling embarrassed/slighted and tried to say "You're meant to say how much you're putting in". Eh, no you're not. Unless things had changed that day. In his head maybe.

So, it's DBs system. Why can't they utilise it correctly? And then they try to make out as if the passenger is the inconvenience. I'm surprised how many dummies take to a DB wheel on a daily basis. I only ever get the thing when I really have to.

A lot of the cash boxes the money falls straight through, some have no lights so the driver can't see the money, sometimes coins fall behind each other, so all he sees is a 2 euro coin, sometimes people through the money in as the machine is dropping the previous fare so it disappears sometimes the machine gets stuck so fares go on top of each other, so in answer don't be an arse, if you pop in 2.50 for a 2.35 just say it, then the driver knows you want a change ticket and how much you paid.

You see the other problem is a large percentage just Dont want a change ticket, so the driver prints one, the passenger walks off and the next passenger grabs the change ticket instead of their ticket and it all gets confusing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement