Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chael Sonnen **Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

“We only had one and that was Chandella [Powell]. The other was the IQ card girl. Arianny [Celeste] kind of walks around and holds up her latest test score. One time when there was a title fight, she got all the way up to five and we were very proud of her.”

Is nobody safe?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

CageWager wrote: »
    “We only had one and that was Chandella [Powell]. The other was the IQ card girl. Arianny [Celeste] kind of walks around and holds up her latest test score. One time when there was a title fight, she got all the way up to five and we were very proud of her.”

Is nobody safe?!:D

This thread could well prove to be the funniest MMA thread in history

scudzilla wrote: »
    This thread could well prove to be the funniest MMA thread in history

I'd love to know if Chael is a legit comedic genius or does he have somebody close to him who helps him come up with material? He just goes beyond the relm of a random guy who is pretty funny, his one liners seem professional quality to me.. If the MMA thing doesn't work out, Chael needs to get on to Rogan about becoming a standup comedian!

CageWager wrote: »
    I'd love to know if Chael is a legit comedic genius or does he have somebody close to him who helps him come up with material? He just goes beyond the relm of a random guy who is pretty funny, his one liners seem professional quality to me.. If the MMA thing doesn't work out, Chael needs to get on to Rogan about becoming a standup comedian!

Watch his interviews, youtube 'em, it's all his own work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Watch his interviews, youtube 'em, it's all his own work.

He works hard on preparing his soundbytes though - it's not like he improvises his comments off the top of his head.

I think he realised a few years ago that the secret to making money and getting title shots had as much to do with thrash talking and being talked about than it does to hard training and success in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SanoVitae wrote: »
    He works hard on preparing his soundbytes though - it's not like he improvises his comments off the top of his head.

Yeah this is probably the case but he's still pretty quick sometimes too. If you watch his Q&A from a while back he was hilarious. Especially when someone asked him about the Spider fight asking:

"What happened in California?"

385414_10150409308468737_649538736_8581637_543927057_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Embedded on YouTube now

This guy is fast becoming one of my favourite fighters

Man that Interviewer is brutal, worse that the english Gareth whatever his name and thats hard to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Man that Interviewer is brutal, worse that the english Gareth whatever his name and thats hard to do.

Gareth Gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

p to the e wrote: »
    Gareth Gates?

Gareth A. Davies. He writes for the daily telegraph and appears on the ESPN shows sometimes. Horribly bias to the English fighters and always makes excuses for them when the lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Thats him, man he is terrible, was bad at boxing, worse in MMA. He actually got put up for an MMA award the other night, thankfully Ariel won the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Shazbot wrote: »
    Gareth A. Davies. He writes for the daily telegraph and appears on the ESPN shows sometimes. Horribly bias to the English fighters and always makes excuses for them when the lose.

Damn you sarcasm not coming through in text! I know Gareth A. Davies. He gets a really bad rap but I enjoy some of his columns in Fighters Only. The way I'd put him is the Eamonn Dunphy of MMA.

Back to Sonnen i recently looked over his record and unbelievably out of 11 losses, 8 have been to submissions.

As I saw in another thread here he's denying he's fighting Munoz;
    http://www.5thround.com/98220/chael-sonnen-not-fighting-mark-munoz-but/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

From Fighters Only:

His direct challenge to the champion at UFC 136 came to nothing, so Sonnen has gone a new route to approach his haranguing of Anderson Silva. Silva recently picked up sponsorship from Brazilian soccer club Corinthians and is an ambassador for the club. Corinthians main rival is the Palmeiras team, so Sonnen has claimed their colours as his own. Its a gesture that will resonate with the soccer-crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That is legendary trolling right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Ultimate Chael Compilation

"We've already started worrying about that," White said about security when Chael Sonnen meets Anderson Silva for the second time at UFC Rio II. "We will have presidential-type security down there for him. The biggest fear would be should Chael win that night. We'd have to f*ckin dig a tunnel underneath the Octagon."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Source?
    Dana has said it a few times publically now

• Advertisement

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Source?

Full article
    December 8 2011 Last updated at 11:00 AM ET
    UFC Already Examining Security for Sonnen vs. Silva 2 in Brazil

By Michael David Smith Lead Blogger mmafighting.com

CHICAGO -- UFC President Dana White reiterated on Wednesday that the winner of the upcoming Chael Sonnen-Mark Munoz fight on Fox will take on middleweight champion Anderson Silva some time this summer. And White said that he could see putting together a blockbuster Sonnen-Silva rematch in Brazil, possibly in front of tens of thousands of people in a soccer stadium.

That raises an interesting question: Is White concerned about an ugly scene breaking out if Sonnen continues saying the ugly things he has said about Brazlians in general and Silva in particular?

"We've already started worrying about that," White said. "We will have presidential-type security down there for him. The biggest fear would be should Chael win that night. We'd have to f--king dig a tunnel underneath the Octagon."

But White said he likes the idea of Silva fighting his most hated rival in front of his Brazilian fans. And he said the proper security procedures could ensure a safe environment for Sonnen and everyone else in attendance.

White pointed to a 1993 boxing match between Greg Haugen and Julio Caesar Chavez before 132,247 fans at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City as a precedent for an American fighter going into extremely hostile territory against a beloved champion.

"Greg Haugen said the most horrible things you can ever say about Mexicans," White said. "They walked him in, people were throwing beers at him as he went in, it was crazy. But the fight went off and it was one of the biggest fights in boxing history."

White would like to make Sonnen-Silva 2 one of the biggest fights in MMA history, and he said both Silva and Sonnen will be ready to go, should Sonnen beat Munoz. Sonnen is getting his trash talking started early by accusing Silva of ducking him by faking a shoulder injury, but White said that's just trash talk from Sonnen.

"He knows this: There's no such thing as faking an injury in the UFC," White said. "If I'm trying to make that fight and you tell me you're injured, you come see our doctors, we check them out and verify they're injured. There's no faking injuries in the UFC."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

MMA veteran Chael Sonnen is never short of words, and the brash UFC middleweight had some surprising things to say about his highly anticipated rematch against Anderson Silva. Apparently, Sonnen is no longer interested in a rematch with MMA's pound-for-pound champion, and his sights are now set on some other UFC title holders.

"I'm done with the guy. He and I have no business," Sonnen said in an interview with Michael Landsberg. "He's cold product men. He's like jheri curls and Pepsi Clear. He's yesterday's news. I destroyed this guy back when he was tough. That was years ago. He's so far over the hill and so far past his prime that it's not worth talking about…I'm going to become the No. 1 contender on January 28th and despite what you may think, I'm not going to use that voucher to fight Anderson Silva. I'll be looking at [Jon] Jones, [Junior] dos Santos and possibly [Georges] St. Pierre. I will take that voucher to Dana White and pick one of those three guys. My time with Anderson is done."

After dominating Silva for the majority of their UFC 117 encounter, Sonnen has been very vocal about getting a rematch. Sonnen has taunted Silva ever since then, and even the champ's wife hasn't been spared from the insults.

Sonnen is scheduled to face Mark Munoz at "UFC on Fox 2," on Jan. 28, and the winner will get the next shot at Silva. Many expect Sonnen to win the fight, but I wouldn't be shocked if Munoz pulls off the upset.

UFC president Dana White recently compared Sonnen to boxing legend Muhammad Ali, but it is pretty obvious he isn't anywhere close. Ali's comments were never short of wit, while Sonnen's comes off more WWE like.

Sonnen obviously has no business calling out the likes of Jones and JDS, given the fact he has no chance against either man. Sonnen strongest skill set is his wrestling, and his chances against GSP are slim as well.

Link : http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ycn-10743051

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

:DLol.
    Ya have to give it to him, he has some balls calling out those guys.
    Both Jones and JDS would destroy Sonnen. The only one he may have a chance against would be GSP and I think GSP would probably win that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sonnen basically needs any fight that comes his way.

He has to pay those legal fee's.

Jones tweeted this:
    "Someone tell Chael he knows where I'll be waiting"

Sonnen hasn't a chance in this fight if it were ever to happen. I have a feeling he's just saying it because he knows Dana won't make that fight happen any time soon.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Jones tweeted this:

Sonnen hasn't a chance in this fight if it were ever to happen. I have a feeling he's just saying it because he knows Dana won't make that fight happen any time soon.

Just imagine IF, and this is MMA so anything could happen (people wrote sonnen off against Silva but he handed him his arse), IF Sonnen was to beat Jones you'd never shut him up, nightmare scenario for Dana.....or is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Short and sweet, I'm loving the soccer trolling

A lot of his videos are funny, but now it really is like watching WWE. And I HATE pro wrestling!
    I really hope he gets a shot at Silva and then gets destroyed just to shut him up.
    I know he dominated Silva the last time but I'd love to see Silva smash his face in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nah, even as a Silva fan I hope he wins. He's a character. There are people saying "MMA is becoming like WWE" but that's not the case. Sonnen is definitely the exception.

I think he's hilarious.

Advertisement