Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chael Sonnen **Thread**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Should he lose he's not going to leave the UFC permanently anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What he says was, if he loses to Anderson Silva, on superbowl weekend. He'll leave the UFC.
    Firstly, its not on SBW anymore, so that rules out the whole statement. GSP is fightign that weekend.
    Secondly, anderson didn't agree to leave the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think Chael should be careful what he wishes for. He wants another fight before april, I see people like vitor and munoz looking to challenge him for no 1 contender. They will not be easy fights for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think Chael should be careful what he wishes for. He wants another fight before april, I see people like vitor and munoz looking to challenge him for no 1 contender. They will not be easy fights for him.

I dunno, Munoz's wrestling doesn't impress me at all and surely they'll want to keep Vitor away from another title shot after that last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I hope they do a primetime for this...

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    What he says was, if he loses to Anderson Silva, on superbowl weekend. He'll leave the UFC.
    Firstly, its not on SBW anymore, so that rules out the whole statement. GSP is fightign that weekend.
    Secondly, anderson didn't agree to leave the division.

I actually thought that stipulation made sense though, if Chael loses there's not much point in him hanging around at MW in the UFC while Anderson is champ and if Silva loses the only match for him at MW would be another rematch with Chael.

Chael has been announced as no.1 contender is a huge rematch. He's not accepting another fight.
    Munoz isn't near a title shot. He scrapped past Maia, and beat Leben. Good wins, but not title shot earning performances.
    His call-out was embarrassing. Munoz should of called out the winner of Bisping Miller. That way he might of got a shot.
    Lets not forget Hendo,
    I actually thought that stipulation made sense though, if Chael loses there's not much point in him hanging around at MW in the UFC while Anderson is champ and if Silva loses the only match for him at MW would be another rematch with Chael.
    Id Chael wins, that rubber match is happening, and it'll prob be one of the biggest fights at MW ever.
    If Anderson wins. Chael is still 2nd best, but might never get a title shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

I think Chael would absolutely destroy Munoz. I also think Chael is the only credible contender for Anderson as much as I despise the bloke.

If Anderson beats Chael and GSP beats diaz, I would hope Dana would consider the Silva vs GSP super fight.

Lads if you're not impressed with munoz's wrestling you don't know anything about wrestling. he was ncaa div 1 champion. i can't remember who but a top level ufc fighter gave him great compliment when he said munoz brough his wrestling on a loads.

munoz is very good wrestler with very good g and p. sonnen lost to d meia don't forget

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't think Munoz is in the same league as Silva and I think he'd really struggle against Sonnen too. Tbh I can't see him ever beating Silva.

• Advertisement

Lads if you're not impressed with munoz's wrestling you don't know anything about wrestling. he was ncaa div 1 champion. i can't remember who but a top level ufc fighter gave him great compliment when he said munoz brough his wrestling on a loads.

munoz is very good wrestler with very good g and p. sonnen lost to d meia don't forget

If you think Munoz has great wrestling you need to go watch his fight versus Yushin Okami :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Isn't munoz the wrestling coach in blackhouse?

If you think Munoz has great wrestling you need to go watch his fight versus Yushin Okami :rolleyes:

He's outwrestled Couture on numerous training occasions, according to Urijah Faber, can't find the link right now but it's out there somewhere.

He's outwrestled Couture on numerous training occasions, according to Urijah Faber, can't find the link right now but it's out there somewhere.

But if he can't do it against elite opposition in the cage how can he impress me? (and look I'm talking about him as a MW contender here)

because okami has great wrestling too? you should stick to the soccer mate and talking about how aidan mcgeady is a crap crosser of the ball or something, you obviously know nothing

Edited

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Munoz has outstanding wrestling. There's no question about that. The main thing here, in my opinion, is if he does manage to get a shot at Silva, is he gonna be able to get near him to put that wrestling to good use.
    In my opinion he hasn't got the skills to beat Silva anytime in the near future.
    But to say his wrestling isn't good is ridiculous tbh. He is one of the better wrestlers in the UFC at the minute.

And as soon as he came up against an elite wrestler who he couldn't take down easily he was just reliant on shooting in over and over with no set ups, excuse me if I dont find that impressive. And look, I'm reasonable, can we actually discuss it properly without resorting to that Sherdog **** Sid posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Isn't munoz the wrestling coach in blackhouse?

I think he's worked with them in the past, I know for sure he's worked with Silva but AFAIK he has his own gym now.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

This latest interview is probably his best/worst/funniest - he goes ape-sh1t

cannot embed so http://www.cagepotato.com/video-chael-sonnen-says-fck-canada-or-at-least-this-reporter-who-lives-there/

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

yeah that interview was funny. in fairness the host was asking the same oul questions and putting nothing new to him. I always thought they did them interviews for free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Who the f*ck is that guy? What a complete fool! I'd love to see him try disrespect an MMA fighter when he's in the room. Chael would've snapped him in half/

What was the "and maybe you should do a few sit-ups" bit at the end? I seriously would love to see, in the next couple of weeks, a You Tube video od Chael bumping into this guy in public and seeing what he has to say for himself then. I guarantee he'd say whatever Chael made him say after he stuck his arm up the guy's ass and used him like a puppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Embedded on YouTube now

This guy is fast becoming one of my favourite fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

that interviewer's a smug tool. Chael did a good job of taking the p!ss out of the whole thing.. The look on his face when the interviewer mentioned the Nogueira brothers was priceless!

Dana strongly hinted the time and date of Chael Silva II

June 2012, in Sao Paulo, Brazil!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

he also hinted that sonnen would be fighting on fox, so it could be sonnen v munoz(or winner of mayhem v bisping) could fight for number one contender

When did he hint at Sonnen on Fox?

He has already said the Cheal is the no1 contender

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    When did he hint at Sonnen on Fox?

He has already said the Cheal is the no1 contender

I read an article yesterday or the day before and in the title was something along the lines of "Dana White hints at Sonnen headlining on Fox".

When I read the article there was absolutely nothing about Sonnen on Fox. There was something which fell just short of confirming that Silva will fight Sonnen in Brazil, but nothing about Fox.

• Advertisement

I found the source. it's just speculation by some reporter.

Dana said;
    "I don’t think you’re going to see a title fight, but I don’t think you’re going to be disappointed with what you’re going to see. We’re giving you some good fights"

Somebody asked if Sonnen could end up on the card and he said "It's possible". I'd see that as Dana not saying anything rather than hinting at Sonnen. The 139 post presser was very blatent. He even gave the month and city.
    But maybe its a case that they want Sonnen to fight on Fox, sell the rematch again, and book the June fight in Brazil.

Dana met with the Fox execs a few hours ago. Then once the fighters sign they'll be announced.

[QUOTE-Chael's twitter]I accept Anderson. Brazil it is. Now then, about that meal...[/QUOTE]

Advertisement