Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cycling team revealed as Martin, Roche and McCann. Brammeier appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

Good to hear that both roche and Martin are included. I feared that the system would have ruled roche out. How did the sailors get on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Dodge wrote: »
    Cycling team revealed as Martin, Roche and McCann. Brammeier appealing

That's so disappointing that Brammeier has not been given the credit he deserves...isn't he two time Irish road race champion and Irish time trial champion to boot? And not to mention all of the experience he has as part of the pro team (Omega Pharma Quickstep). Seems like he is being very unfairly treated because of his invovlement on the pro tour. David McCann has been a great servant to the Irish jersey over the years but I think Brammeier should have got the decision.
    Hopefully the appeal goes his way but I wouldn't be to hopeful. Who does he appeal to anyway?

knockcon wrote: »
    Good to hear that both roche and Martin are included. I feared that the system would have ruled roche out. How did the sailors get on today?

No racing today because of the adverse conditions....three Irish crews compete in the medal race tomorrow. It's a pity the racing was cancelled today as Annalise was eating into the lead of those above her but with only the medal race left now it means it's unlikely she'll get into the medals. Still though, should be interesting to see how she performs tomorrow in the medal race as those are the kind of races she needs to get under her belt and pick up valuable experience in.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Dan man wrote: »
    That's so disappointing that Brammeier has not been given the credit he deserves...isn't he two time Irish road race champion and Irish time trial champion to boot? And not to mention all of the experience he has as part of the pro team (Omega Pharma Quickstep). Seems like he is being very unfairly treated because of his invovlement on the pro tour. David McCann has been a great servant to the Irish jersey over the years but I think Brammeier should have got the decision.
    Hopefully the appeal goes his way but I wouldn't be to hopeful. Who does he appeal to anyway?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0608/1224317557309.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Quotes from Irish times article:
    A five-person selection panel will consider the appeal which, under the criteria, can only have weight if due process and/or selection procedures weren’t followed or if there was bias or undue influence.
    The problem with the appeal is that it can be argued that the selection panel did sufficiently follow the selection criteria.

the original three-person selection panel will be asked to consider the selection once again.
    This wouldn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence that the decision might be overturned.

I had thought Maria McCambridge would appeal. My understanding of that appeal process (marathon), was that it would go back to the original selection committee, which might have been 3 too. Open to correction on both points.

I had thought Maria McCambridge would appeal. My understanding of that appeal process (marathon), was that it would go back to the original selection committee, which might have been 3 too. Open to correction on both points.

Maria quickly ruled out any chance of an appeal and dealt the setback with a lot of dignity. She recognised that the decision to run the Rome marathon instead of say Rotterdam was a misjudgement as Rome is less conducive to fast times. She said that she was relieved the wait was over and that she accepted the panel's decision, but of course she must have been really disappointed. The selection committee was made up of 5 members I think.
    In Athens 2004 I remember she appealled successfully over the decision not to send her in the 5,000m. She missed the early qualification deadline set by the AAI (Athletics Association of Ireland) but ran the qualifying time inside the official qualification deadline as set out by the IAAF. She made the point that she was unable to run the time earlier that year due to an injury setback and they relented and sent her to the Games.

Dan man wrote: »
    Maria quickly ruled out any chance of an appeal and dealt the setback with a lot of dignity. She recognised that the decision to run the Rome marathon instead of say Rotterdam was a misjudgement as Rome is less conducive to fast times. She said that she was relieved the wait was over and that she accepted the panel's decision, but of course she must have been really disappointed. The selection committee was made up of 5 members I think.
    In Athens 2004 I remember she appealled successfully over the decision not to send her in the 5,000m. She missed the early qualification deadline set by the AAI (Athletics Association of Ireland) but ran the qualifying time inside the official qualification deadline as set out by the IAAF. She made the point that she was unable to run the time earlier that year due to an injury setback and they relented and sent her to the Games.

I was wrong x 2. The original selection committee was 5, and the appeal panel a different 5. Shouldn't The OCI have this standardized?

I didn't recall Athens 2004, and yes, she was dignified. I believe she said she didn't think (that there was grounds for appeal per se) in that she didn't see the selectors changing their decision (4.1 and 8.1 of appeals process below). I'd be willing to lose all dignity if I were told I that, after 4yrs in college, having gotten a 1st class honours degree, that I wouldn't get to the graduation ceremony to collect my piece of parchment. So yeah, admire her for that.

http://hp.athleticsireland.ie/images/spolicy/2012/OG/12_OlympicGamesNominationPolicy_070512.pdf

• Advertisement

Annalise Murphy wins medal race to claim bronze medal. Encouraging stuff

Superb performance by Annalise to claim the bronze medal after yet another race victory. Annalise is dominant in this fleet, if she can get it right in London a medal is there for her and the colour is up for debate also. Exciting times for Irish sailing. Bring on London 2012.

Another brilliant result for Irish sailing....the Irish men's 49er duo of Ryan Seaton and Matt McGovern finished 5th in the medal race to finish the competition in 7th place overall. Even more encouraging is the fact that they were 5th best nation and this looks really good with the Olympics coming up. They were never once outside of the top 12 in any of their races and they picked up 3 race victories out of a possible 11. That is superb sailing by the lads. They should be brimming with confidence ahead of the Olympic Games now.

O'Leary and Burrows win gold at the Star fleet

O'Leary and Burrows win gold at the Star fleet

Outstanding gold medal win against the best of the best at the 2012 Olympic venue....incredible week of sailing from all the Irish....so excited for the Olympics now! If only they can replicate these results in a few weeks time.

In judo news, Irish 2012 Olympic qualifier Lisa Kearney claimed the silver medal at the World Cup event in Tallinn, Estonia today. Although the top ranked competiors in the -48kg weight category were not present (most were competing at the Grand Slam event in Rio, it is still a very positive result from the Irish judoka and she can take huge confidence from her performance in Estonia.

Don't forget to watch out for news of Irish swimmer Chris Bryan tomorrow as he attempts to become Ireland's latest member of the 2012 Olympic team.
    A top 10 placing tomorrow in Portugal in the 10km event will guarantee him qualification for London and a top 11 will be enough providing the G.B. swimmer finishes inside the top 10.

Hearing reports that Irish 20km walker, Laura Reynolds is currently on course for A standard in La Coruna, Spain. Over 15km gone, not long before we'll know if we have our 57th member of the team.

Laura Reynolds gets the 20k walk A standard in La Coruna

Laura Reynolds set a new PB over the 20km walk in La Coruna, Spain and with it she has dipped well inside the A-standard for the Olympic Games. Her time of 1:32:37hrs is almost a minute inside the required A qualifying standard for the Olympics and she now joins Olive Loughnane on the start line for the 20km event in London. Laura is Leitrim's second Olympic qualifier (walker Colin Griffin has already qualified for the 50km walk) and Ireland's Olympic team now stands at 57 members. Superb result by Laura and she has many more years in the sport ahead of her.

Laura Reynolds gets the 20k walk A standard in La Coruna

Brilliant.

Have booked a hotel on Hyde Park, as the Men's 50k and Women's 20K turn at this point on the Saturday, so looking forward to a great day. Well done to Laura.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Congratulations to the Ridge County as well on qualifying two Olympians, a great achievement for the least populous county of the 32. Surely leading the field in terms of Olympians per head of population. Puts my own county with five times the population and no Olympians to shame!

Cracking stuff from the sailors as well, Sailing plus boxing could yet make this one of our best ever Olympics - can't ever remember having so many genuine medal contenders going into a games.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

Great week for our sailors. Very encouraging given how close we are to the Olympics, but you'd also imagine that the weymouth waters will seem like a "home venue" to them now. Also I don't think seaton McGovern duo featured in anyone's top ten hopeful lists do far. Maybe there is a bit of reshuffling to do!

Unforunately I won't get a chance to watch Chris Bryan's race.... remember top 10 and he's qualified (top 9 guaranteed + top European outside of the qualifying positions). Top 11 will be enough if G.B. swimmer is ahead of him and he still has a slight chance if outside top 11. He qualifies providing he is top European outside of top 9 and G.B. swimmer. Good luck to him, hopefully he'll become #58 on the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Chris Bryan finished either 14th or 15th. Doesnt automatically qualify but hopefully there is still an outside chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Doesn't sound good for Bryan on twitter...

It looks like Chris has missed out, unlikely we'll see him in London. It's unfortunate but hopefully we'll see much more of him in the future as he's a talented swimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Women's boxing Gold

And women's judo sliver and that's about it I would say

Swim Ireland say he lost out on Olympic place in a photo finish. Ouch

• Advertisement

Yea he did, can't have been closer....so many near misses for the Irish team this time but I suppose we can't complain too much as we've had a few nice surprises along the way and the team numbers are higher than both Beijing and Athens. Not too mention that we have a lot of very good medal chances this time round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement