Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The thing is a lot of people do not actually see as in their brain doesn't register there is an object as they are looking for car's, vans and trucks.

This theory has been put to a test and a lot failed to see any bike at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That M50 hard shoulder carry on is ridiculous. Bad education and poor enforcement is the problem there. Whilst it does happen the odd time, no one in the UK stops on the hard shoulder for no reason or uses it to filter around traffic.

Over here no one gives a sh1te. Gardaí are as much to blame as the twats that do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Spook_ie wrote: »
    However, given the traffic officers report that they should have been visible for 7 seconds to each other that meant a visible distance of 303.5 meters ( 97mph = 43.36 m/s x 7 = 303.5 meters ) at a speed of 60 mph or 26.8 m/s that 303.5 meters would have taken 4.3 seconds longer to cover, that's 4.3 seconds to take evasive action , react or whatever

I hadn't seen your figures before posting my own.

You are correct: the significance of the motorcyclist's extreme speed of 156 km/h is that it drastically reduced the margin for error and practically guaranteed a fatal outcome in the event of a crash. Higher speed always -- always -- increases both crash risk and crash severity. Travelling on a motorbike at that speed on such a road was sending the risk factors off the scale entirely.

Of course the what-ifs are not much use in this particular instance. One man is dead, and another has to live with the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

That M50 hard shoulder carry on is ridiculous. Bad education and poor enforcement is the problem there. Whilst it does happen the odd time, no one in the UK stops on the hard shoulder for no reason or uses it to filter around traffic.

Over here no one gives a sh1te. Gardaí are as much to blame as the twats that do it.

HEY, SHUT UP :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

RustyNut wrote: »
    The facts are that the car driver just didnt look and so didnt see the biker. If it was a young lad on a moped buzzing up the same road at 40 mph and the car driver behaved the same then it would have been the young lad that went into the car. The speed of the biker made the outcome worse but it was 100% the car drivers actions that caused the colision as he admitted himself.
    Never said it wasn't, what I did say was at the speed limit given the distance the police said they should have been visible at would have equated to an extra few seconds to avoid the car. 4.5 secs in this case could have potentially been a lifetime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

There are plenty of videos on youtube of people in the UK driving on the hard shoulders in similar situations so it's not just an Irish thing.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Going even faster would just have meant that the accident would likely have happened elsewhere.

However, given the traffic officers report that they should have been visible for 7 seconds to each other that meant a visible distance of 303.5 meters ( 97mph = 43.36 m/s x 7 = 303.5 meters ) at a speed of 60 mph or 26.8 m/s that 303.5 meters would have taken 4.3 seconds longer to cover, that's 4.3 seconds to take evasive action , react or whatever
    4.3 seconds, the car could have cleared the junction in that time, a near miss rather than a direct hit!
    From what I could see the car driver was already committed to making the turn but was very slow off the mark as he hadn't seen the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

NCPS immobilised by Gardai and an AA vehicle broken down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

1. Back door open. 2. Foot path mounter 3. Corner cutter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Biker OK as far as I know, minor injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

huggs2 wrote: »

That was hilarious, totally unexpected :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

My first few clips with the SJ4000 as a dash cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So. This happened to me today. A change of trousers was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

^^ brilliant clip there, I often wondered how people crashed into each other when they are all driving the same direction!

bladebrew wrote: »
    ^^ brilliant clip there, I often wondered how people crashed into each other when they are all driving the same direction!

Tailgating man. We are one of the worst places for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Tzardine wrote: »

Holy **** thank god you're ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Was this the one?

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/508546770906136576

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »

Yup thats the one. Caused some traffic, especially with the match on. All 3 cars were Tipperary folk on way to Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tailgating man. We are one of the worst places for it.
    I only drove back that road from Cork this evening. Leaving Cork there was a tosser tailgating me at 75 mph. After a few miles I'd had enough and cranked it up over 100 mph, but he stayed with me. I slowed down, and so did he. Only when I slowed to 50 mph did he overtake me and p1ss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

glad you're ok sir!

Great clip (in dashcam terms). Hopefully there were no kids in the Volvo (i think?), must have been frightening to lift in the air like that.

The rate of deceleration is very apparent if you look at how quickly the estate on the left moves past. Poor awareness and tailgating looks to be the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Great clip (in dashcam terms). Hopefully there were no kids in the Volvo (i think?), must have been frightening to lift in the air like that.

The rate of deceleration is very apparent if you look at how quickly the estate on the left moves past. Poor awareness and tailgating looks to be the cause.

Spot on. Leaving the tailgater aside the driver on the left should slow down seeing the car on the right braking - I always try to avoid going side by side with cars on the right. Not blaming him at all btw, just pointing out.

This is the most dangerous irish dash cam I have seen in this thread btw. Glad to see the OP did just fine to avoid the danger. I do hope everyone else was fine.

wonski wrote: »
    Spot on. Leaving the tailgater aside the driver on the left should slow down seeing the car on the right braking - I always try to avoid going side by side with cars on the right. Not blaming him at all btw, just pointing out.

This is the most dangerous irish dash cam I have seen in this thread btw. Glad to see the OP did just fine to avoid the danger. I do hope everyone else was fine.
    I'd completely blame the tailgater. The guy on the left's brake lights come on very quickly after the tailgater's does (milliseconds in the difference). At that point he'd already been overtaken by the two cars (though just barely). There's nothing to say whether the first overtaking car actually braked or just slowed down.

For all those people out there who drive up the arse of other cars at 120kph+, and don't leave a 2+ second gap "because I've got great reactions and can totally handle it - my car's got all the bells and whistles, and I'm like a superhero" - watch this video over and over and over again, and next time hang back from the car in front, no matter how much faster you could be going if they'd just get out of *your* lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thoie wrote: »
    For all those people out there who drive up the arse of other cars at 120kph+, and don't leave a 2+ second gap "because I've got great reactions and can totally handle it - my car's got all the bells and whistles, and I'm like a superhero" - watch this video over and over and over again, and next time hang back from the car in front, no matter how much faster you could be going if they'd just get out of *your* lane.

I think most people tailgate because they are terrified someone will slot in the gap they left in front of them. The usual 'don't let anyone get the better of me' irish driver.

On a different note people need to learn to use their hazzards when coming to a stop on a motorway. Drove up behind a row of parked cars in dark wet conditions the other day. A grey car with no lights on parked right in the middle of a dark wet motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I feel bad for all of those involved, even the tailgater.
    That being said, I wonder why the Volvo veered to the left rather than the right.
    Luckily no one seems have been injured and the Avensis seemed to take the knock quite well but it was quite exciting to watch in a weird sort of way.

OSI wrote: »
    I think he was pissed at the Avensis holding him up so decided to try and bomb down the inside with the resultant testosterone fuelled neglect to check his mirrors and blind spot.

If that would be the case then I seriously hope his/her next insurance premium will reflect their idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OSI wrote: »
    I think he was pissed at the Avensis holding him up so decided to try and bomb down the inside with the resultant testosterone fuelled neglect to check his mirrors and blind spot.
    His brake lights came on moments beforehand so more likely he realised he couldn't stop in time and swerved avoid rear-ending the car in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Let's hope the above link works this time. I've got a gw1 camera mounted in the dash of my Volvo FH9. It's quite shaky (especially with an empty trailer) as the mount I received with it is angled too far down for a perfectly vertical windshield so I am using a gooseneck phone mount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Cripes that was crazy. WELL DONE Tzardine on avoiding the melee. It shows why it's so very important to keep that 2+ second gap (minimum) to the vehicle in front.

gutteruu wrote: »
    I think most people tailgate because they are terrified someone will slot in the gap they left in front of them. The usual 'don't let anyone get the better of me' irish driver.

I can *kind* of understand that in stop/start city traffic, where there's always some cute hoor bombing up the bus lane to try and skip in front at the traffic lights, but not on a national road/dual carriageway/motorway at speeds in excess of 80kph. There's absolutely no excuse for it there, and it's rarely designed to prevent someone getting in front of them.

The last experience I have of being tailgated was in a similar situation to the video - I was overtaking three cars on the motorway that were, say, doing 110kph. A car pulled out in front of me doing 115kph (for example), so it was taking forever to overtake the cars on the inside. A car came up behind me, doing the speed I'd have liked to have been doing, and sat on my back bumper, flashing his lights and making rude gestures. There was nowhere for me to go - three cars on my inside, one in front of me, all I could do was maintain my speed and distance from the car in front until I had cleared the cars in the driving lane, and then mirror, signal, mirror, check blindspot, then move across. As the rear car managed to pass me, the passenger made a gun gesture at me, all because I had nowhere to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yup thats the one. Caused some traffic, especially with the match on. All 3 cars were Tipperary folk on way to Croke Park.

Mental clip, glad you are ok. You did well to avoid it all, especially the Avensis when it ended up facing you, but that was down to you keeping a safe distance and having good reactions. Must be even scarier to see that stuff on two wheels rather than four.

Out of interest, have the guards requested the cam footage? Or did any of the drivers involved do so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think you did well to keep your cool there. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

bear1 wrote: »
    If that would be the case then I seriously hope his/her next insurance premium will reflect their idiocy.

They will if the insurance company find the dash-cam clip. Might be worth tagging registration numbers to help them.

PauloMN wrote: »

Out of interest, have the guards requested the cam footage? Or did any of the drivers involved do so?

Gardai came. She was surprised to hear that I had a dash cam on the bike.

Gave her my details etc but there she has no need for the footage really. Nobody hurt so its just an insurance matter.

Told the drivers of the 3 cars that I had the footage and gave them my details. I expect the insurance company will be on to me for a copy.

Volvo guy was simply too close to the Toyota. Toyota started to brake as the traffic ahead was slowing down. Volvo did not see this until it was too late. Tried to get out of it by going left but had no where to go.

From my point of view what was going ahead in front of me was not the scary part. Stopping power on the bike is much greater than the cars. I was worried about the guy behind me running me over. Play the clip in HD and look at the reflection in my speedo on the left. You can see I break and start to move left but I cop the guy behind me. He was inches from me so I had to let off the breaks and take my chances with what was going on in front of me.

Pretty scary stuff that I didnt really appreciate how close it was until I looked at the video.

All is well that ends well. Nobody hurt, thankfully, as the 3 cars all had young kids in them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gave her my details etc but there she has no need for the footage really. Nobody hurt so its just an insurance matter.

That's the bit that annoys me, tailgating is dangerous driving, stupidity aside, it is a road traffic offence. The tailgater should be fined and given points as a minimum.

Admittedly though I am just glad no one was critically injured, but using that as an excuse to effectively ignore the dangerous driving is astonishing.

Was there much damage done to the cars? I'd imagine the Volvo got the worst of it.
    I'm also curious, how did the drivers react to the Volvo driver? Anger?

I'm also curious, how did the drivers react to the Volvo driver? Anger?

Everybody was calm. No anger towards the Volvo driver. Nobody seemed to know what happened to be honest. Nobody was blaming the Volvo driver........YET !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Great bit of driving from you there, especially on a bike, not panicking and trying to stop as fast as possible, I can see what you mean by looking at the speedo.

On a lighter note, not a bad pit maneuver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Captured this on my way home from work today. This guy didn't really care about red lights -

Skipping lanes at the next lights too to get home. Hopefully he didn't hit anyone. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

in fairness he / she was driving a beamer.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

damn cyclists, no respect for rules of the road....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

maybe he was dying for a ****e

Stopping power on the bike is much greater than the cars.

Can I ask what bike you have, and what car was behind you? Is it not the case that modern cars stop just as well as bikes? I'd imagine any advantage a bike has in braking is down to reaction time and the riders ability, more than an actual physical advantage.

Not questioning your ability, just curious, you did well to avoid an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Most have been the full moon . The driving I seen all day while working in Dublin today was terrible.

Prime example. 05 TN 2255 Yaris speeds up the inside of the bus in the wrong lane and breaks a Red light (by a good 3 seconds), into an 80KPH road at the Tallaght bypass .

Completely blind as the bus was blocking the view.
    What a moron.

In HD

I don't know what's more amazing.
    The Yaris undertaking a bus in a left hand lane only and then proceeding straight ahead through a red light or.....

Someone actually driving a Yaris faster than 50kph.
    Tricky one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I don't know what's more amazing.
    The Yaris undertaking a bus in a left hand lane only and then proceeding straight ahead through a red light or.....

Someone actually driving a Yaris faster than 50kph.
    Tricky one.

If there was ever a car you would not want to be T boned in. It would be a Yaris.

May as well stick 4 coke tins to each arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

pablo128 wrote: »
    I only drove back that road from Cork this evening. Leaving Cork there was a tosser tailgating me at 75 mph. After a few miles I'd had enough and cranked it up over 100 mph, but he stayed with me. I slowed down, and so did he. Only when I slowed to 50 mph did he overtake me and p1ss off.
    I call them klingons. Irritating stuff allright.

I ordered one of these on the 21st, still no sign but tbh didn't expect ot before now:
    http://www.amazon.com/E-PRANCE-GT680W-Advanced-Dashboard-G-sensor/dp/B00FQFHZAC
    GT680W Advanced WDR Car Dashboard Camera With 140 Degree Lens + GPS Logger + FULL HD 1080P + Super Night Vision + G-sensor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Paulw wrote: »
    Captured this on my way home from work today. This guy didn't really care about red lights.

Skipping lanes at the next lights too to get home. Hopefully he didn't hit anyone. :eek:

Probably your music drove them to it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement