Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just googled the explorer - looks very nice; especially on a lumpy bracelet. Pretty happy with this one; as it's a nice change from my usual divers/chronos, but still nice and casual. If I had a choice, I'd prefer a sterile dial though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Eoin wrote: »
    Just googled the explorer - looks very nice; especially on a lumpy bracelet. Pretty happy with this one; as it's a nice change from my usual divers/chronos, but still nice and casual. If I had a choice, I'd prefer a sterile dial though.

Yeah, bracelet is great, I think the dial on yours is very nice, together with the titanium, I think it will make a great casual weekend watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Seiko Kinetic that arrived in the post yesterday.
    In fair cosmetic condition but not a bad price at €50 delivered. Doesn't really suit me though so might be relegated to the watch box.

314759.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The continuing saga of a strap for my Quartz Girard Perregaux...

First fitted it on a Nato that matched the dial. Looked well funky and new, though not classic.

Then sourced a lizard in brown, added on the original GP buckle and while it looked elegant it kinda looked old and dated or something. Hard to explain.

Thought about a stainless steel bracelet, but didn't want to put a generic on it and what original GP ones came up were always 20mm, not the 18mm I need and they were always mad money. Well to me anyway at double what I paid for the watch...

Then found an original one still attached to the watch as it was sold, though the movement wasn't working. It had sat on the Bay for months not sold. I suspect because the seller misspelled the name. So I sent in the cheekiest offer evah. I was morto clicking send. :o:) He accepted! :) Quick fiddle with springbars and sizing(I have a stupidly tiny wrist) and...

2zyhkio.jpg

Changes the vibe of the watch entirely. Keeps it funky without being dated. Doesn't pinch my hairy wrists either. :)

As a side order I also got the same model though with a pale vellum dial and dead movement, made in the same month. Here on the brown strap.

2d26hcl.jpg

Very diff vibe to it.

I stripped the movement down. The mechanical works are tip top(the date changer is an issue on these I gather). When I put it back together every so often the second hand would move, one or two seconds, sometimes more. This would suggest the quartz is OK(that's usually what goes), so either the control chip or the stepping motor. Probably the chip as the stepping motor in these is a work of art and solidity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

The bracelet looks lovely - the dial on the broken watch looks really nice too. Do you think you'll be able to be it repaired?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks M. :) Yea the broken one is in good condition otherwise. Even the movement is in great condition. Even has the little rubber battery isolators that are usually lost and its original rubber seals too. Fixing it? I dunno M, I've tried the usual breakdown and clean and no joy, so I reckon I need a parts donor. The quartz crystal seems OK as now it does run for a few seconds. It's usually this that goes apparently so if I see a non working one going cheap it might be worth a punt to nick the other parts.

I have to say compared to other early 70's quartz' that in my amateur way I've fiddled with the GP's come apart and go back together very easily and are nicely modular. The Omega's are a right pain in the bottom with more delicate and more fiddly parts and backlash nonsense on the seconds hand. Finishing is better though. The Lips are worse again, a bloody nightmare TBH. Very loose internals. Extracting the crown can easily have the keyless works drop into the bowels of the thing(teeny bit of blutac can help here) and what backlash control there is is minimal. Even setting the time on one will have the seconds hand jumping around like it's got St Vitus dance.

In these early days GP got it very right. They set the standard for all analogue quartz that followed in layout and crystal frequency and IMHO their quality, particularly of the stepper motor was well ahead of most if not all and still is in many ways. Never mind the teflon bearings that never need oiling. Mad to think they had all that in prototype form in 1970 and in production in 1971. Barely a year after Seiko brought the first quartz watch to production and market and the Seiko cost the same as a family car of the time and was made in tiny numbers. The Swiss rivals of the time were all overcomplicated and very pricey and delicate with it.

TL;DR? If you get into the early quartz stuff, source spares as well. Preferably working and stick em in an antistatic bag sans battery in a safe place for future reference.

PS what's weird about these is some like my examples have tritium lume, but they don't have any markers to say that like a small T that was legally mandated at the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Absolutely lovely, particularly the cream dial/brown lizard (?) combo. I put up photos a few weeks ago of a GP ww.tc I'd bought at auction. It had an ill fitting strap and I've found it impossible to get an extra long strap in 22/16 size. Ultimately I've had to commission a new one from a shop (Jean Rousseau) near me in London. It's an interesting experience sorting through the actual animal skins and picking the particular section of material for the actual watch. Bit takes a few weeks for it to be made but I'll post a few photos when I get it.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Absolutely lovely, particularly the cream dial/brown lizard (?) combo.
    Yep lizard alright. TBH it looks too elegant or something on me M, it looks like I've nicked it. :D Actually it looks quite "feminine" compared to the blue dial and I reckon would look good on a woman's wrist. Though it's bigger than it looks. Close to 40mm across.
    I put up photos a few weeks ago of a GP ww.tc I'd bought at auction
    And only bloody gorge it was too M. *jealous*
    It had an ill fitting strap and I've found it impossible to get an extra long strap in 22/16 size.
    Extra long? You live in opposite land to me. :) Well a six inch wrist makes my life as a WIS difficult, though it does have the advantage that the smaller vintage stuff looks normal on me. Bargains! :D New stuff not so much. I put on a Suunto once, leaned heavily to the left and needed physiotherapy afterwards. A Panerai would land me in traction. :D
    Ultimately I've had to commission a new one from a shop (Jean Rousseau) near me in London. It's an interesting experience sorting through the actual animal skins and picking the particular section of material for the actual watch. Bit takes a few weeks for it to be made but I'll post a few photos when I get it.
    Oh yea that sounds very interesting. Ive been tempted to get a custom strap before. I got one once, a custom NATO made by Jurgens of Germany from old Bund leather pilots jackets. Was V nice I have to say. Will be cool to see the results of your process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Here is my CA, ill post pics of the rest Later

• Advertisement

Those photos are massive!
    http://tinypic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnphillips

Just a note to say hello to all. This thread made me register on boards.ie.
    Some fascinating watches and stories.

Keep up the good work!

Having posted photos of my recent acquisitions, I splashed out about £15 on a watch box. I thought a 12 spacer would be more than enough but I think I'll have to buy another one at some stage. 2 of the watches - the smaller ones are not really mine.

Thought maybe you'd like to see my collection. I'm not a flipper and my buying is sporadic. My recent acquisitions probably cost about as much as nearly all the other watches combined.

I can attach the photo but not sure how to make it appear other than as a URL. Usual apologies for the poor photo quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Having just acquired a new (for me, really second-hand) Omega, I can say I think your collection is pretty impressive. Particularly like the GP (bottom row, second from left): looks like some type of world timer?

FdP
    Having posted photos of my recent acquisitions, I splashed out about £15 on a watch box. I thought a 12 spacer would be more than enough but I think I'll have to buy another one at some stage. 2 of the watches - the smaller ones are not really mine.

Thought maybe you'd like to see my collection. I'm not a flipper and my buying is sporadic. My recent acquisitions probably cost about as much as nearly all the other watches combined.

I can attach the photo but not sure how to make it appear other than as a URL. Usual apologies for the poor photo quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭893bet

A serious collection for a 15 quid box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

very nice pen too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

very nice! With apologies to "Jaws"....I think we are going to need a bigger box!
    First shout when you are flipping the IWC :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

IWC third from left bottom I mean! Lovely collection though, seriously.

Sorry if I got all previous here M, but I grabbed and tweaked your pic, so the passersby can have an instant peek...
    29lh8yc.jpg
    Very nice collection Sir. :)

Great collection above there very jealous! :)
    My Seiko, Bought this in 2009 and wear it everywhere so has a few scratches,
    have not had too change the battery yet though! :)

Having just acquired a new (for me, really second-hand) Omega, I can say I think your collection is pretty impressive. Particularly like the GP (bottom row, second from left): looks like some type of world timer?

FdP

Yes a GP ww.tc which I bought at auction in late June; if you look back a few pages, you'll see a much better photo of it. It was a bargain and I'm waiting on a custom strap for it.
    893bet wrote: »
    A serious collection for a 15 quid box!

Funny how I was skimping ont he box, bought it on Amazon with a watch repair kit which I don't really need but I've stored the watch boxes etc in a storage unit with the related tools.
    rwbug wrote: »
    very nice pen too

A MontBlanc Nikolaj Meisterstuck in platinum and green malachite. I got it for a 1/3rd of retail price maybe 10 years ago. I saw one sell second hand recently for £800. I don't use it that much these days, it used to be a daily use pen.

TedR wrote: »
    very nice! With apologies to "Jaws"....I think we are going to need a bigger box!
    First shout when you are flipping the IWC :-)

Not a hope. I've had that 9 years and will be keeping it (and the others).
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Sorry if I got all previous here M, but I grabbed and tweaked your pic, so the passersby can have an instant peek...
    Very nice collection Sir. :)

Thank you for embedding the photo but I think it's all flattery on your part - there are only two watches there that you would actually wear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Love Panerai and iwc watches , by a mile my favourite in that box. omega 2nd from left lovely too serious collection :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

Yet again another steinhart addition to my collection. This is the Nav B Uhr 47mm with the Unitas 6497 Hand Cranker!
    It's a big watch. Wears pretty big too!

2j4sso9.jpg
    sfbgb7.jpg
    fdc8wj.jpg
    f3x0kl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Am Busy trying to do the math on all these...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Thank you for embedding the photo but I think it's all flattery on your part - there are only two watches there that you would could actually wear without looking ridiculous!!!
    Fixed your post for you. :)

gold type right, silver top left, maybe gold bottom right, but I'd look like I'd stolen it. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    ]gold type right, silver top left, maybe gold bottom right, but I'd look like I'd stolen it. :D[/SIZE]

The one on top right is a 34mm 1961 Omega Seamaster which I think would wear well on your small wrists.

The SS Aqua Terra on top left is a 41.5mm and I think might wear a little large on you. The JLC is also very thick due to the alarm bell inside it.

The second one I thought you'd wear is the 1984 DJ on the bottom left.

Those two are the ones that aren't mine to wear.

Am Busy trying to do the math on all these...

You'll. never get it right; the only one I paid full price for was the Seamaster which cost me £1,050 in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

atsbury wrote: »
    Yet again another steinhart addition to my collection. This is the Nav B Uhr 47mm with the Unitas 6497 Hand Cranker!
    It's a big watch. Wears pretty big too!

It's practically a clock!
    Thanks for posting. I like steinhart, they seem to be a lot of watch for the money, but a little big.

bbbbb wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. I like steinhart, they seem to be a lot of watch for the money, but a little big.

Practicalities, wartime pilots need(ed) watches with large dials so that they are easily visible. If you think 47mm is big, take a look at my Railmaster DSL, it's 49.2mm. Only wearable by humongous monsters like me.

bbbbb wrote: »

Its a massive watch! At 47mm you can see in the pics, its the width of my wrist!
    Probably a little oversized, but i like it. Steinharts are an amazing timepiece. I have two others, both of which are 44mm which is a nice size. The quality of these however is amazing. Plenty of bang for the buck? as they say?
    The Nav B uhr 47mm (pictured) has a power reserve from a full wind of 48 hours, which is pretty amazing.

I had a 47mm Russian pilot watch - can't remember the brand. It was a big watch but grand to wear, apart the large crown that dug into the top of my hand.

Damnit, now I want to buy a pilot watch again.

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    I had a 47mm Russian pilot watch - can't remember the brand. It was a big watch but grand to wear, apart the large crown that dug into the top of my hand.

Damnit, now I want to buy a pilot watch again.

I have the very same problem with my 47mm. The diamond crown digs deep!

have one of these on pre order

Magrette GMT

magretterGMT_zps4476b640.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That Magrette above is similar to the new IWC Aquatimer, but possibly even nicer. And a lot cheaper too.

In Germany the other day, I bought this from the guys at chrono-lounge. They're based in a small town (think Tuam and divide by two, but add sunshine), and have only an office. Nice guys though, and willing to negotiate. I've also ordered the crocodile strap from them at a price that would make you realise just how much profit mainstream shops are making on all this...

So far, so very pleased with it. Fits well for a 44mm, and great lume. Also has the date function that I really (really) wanted, which ironically I had set to the wrong date for the first two days I had it.

Sorry, should have said, it's a Speedmaster 9300 co-axial chronograph...but you already knew that...

DSCF9113_zps53f7ccd5.jpg

DSCF9104_zps9af87ff5.jpg

DSCF9095_zpsbbceba5f.jpg

T it's a Speedmaster 9300 co-axial chronograph...but you already knew that...

Damn...Thought I was in the Selling thread and this was up for grabs

Stunner

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its a bit of a Fiesta compared to some of the Ferraris on here! :D

Casio claimed that I broke the winder on the Edi-face, even though it was in warranty they wanted 55 pounds to fix something which was obviously faulty, so I have a perfect Edi-face with a broken winder :(

ANYWAY, this is the new buy.

Guess Rigor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm slowing warming up to watches, and as an ex-scientist, I want to understand what I'm getting into. In the meantime, I vary between two "fashion" watches that I like for their clean dials, and masculine features. Hopefully, I plan to have made a serious purchase in the next year, along these lines.

A Kate Spade Brooklyn Chronograph. Paid approx $120 at an outlet. RRP circa $300

1yru0099_1.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

A Tous Drive Aluminio. Purchased for about $250 retail in the US.

foto-producto-2751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Been away from the forum for a while and also haven't bought anything new in nearly 2 years. I was supposed to pick up a Dornbluth 99.1 2 years ago but had to cancel that.

This is not going to be everyone's cup of tea with the yellow but I'm very happy with it. I had my eye on it for a few years and got it with a 25% discount as the Aquatimer lineup is changing so had to pick it up.

IWC Aquatimer 2000 Yellow

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

As you can see I like diving watches.

4.jpg

And big heavy watches. Breitling is 48mm and 153g, IWC is 44mm and 145g.
    5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Here's a lume shot stolen from ablogtowatch
    lume.jpg

There's a great macro photo of it here. My crappy photography skills don't do it justice.
    http://wallpaperswide.com/iwc_aquatimer_2000-wallpapers.html

I'm lovin the yellow myself. Gorgeous watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,212 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

stunner, really like those,

strap change mech is cool too, and it looks good on rubber aswell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My 2nd new purchase arrived this morning;

Krug Baümen Adventurer 1920KM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

MrSparkle wrote: »
    This is not going to be everyone's cup of tea with the yellow but I'm very happy with it. I had my eye on it for a few years and got it with a 25% discount as the Aquatimer lineup is changing so had to pick it up.

You joking, right? The yellow along with the orange one, are the best looking IWC divers IMO. Unfortunately, the orange one comes in chronograph version only, so the yellow would be my pick as well, while the new ones are trully hideous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

My Stowa finally arrived last week - as per previous what watch should I buy? :)

Many thanks for the recommendation guys, Ive been very very chuffed with it - so much so, herself is letting me wear it right away (supposed to be a wedding present :pac:)

Very happy with the strap (colour is a good bit lighter in person), and the case size is grand on wrist imo - thanks again Zagato for letting me try yours for size :)

Coupla pics..!

orangefront.jpg

orangecrown.jpg

orangeback.jpg

hand1.jpg

Lume attempt :P
    lumecloser.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Cyrus wrote: »
    stunner, really like those,

strap change mech is cool too, and it looks good on rubber aswell

Yep the strap change mech licensed from Cartier is very cool. I'll look into getting a rubber strap for it also. Great to get it with the bracelet as it's apparently very expensive on it's own.

m4r10 wrote: »
    You joking, right? The yellow along with the orange one, are the best looking IWC divers IMO. Unfortunately, the orange one comes in chronograph version only, so the yellow would be my pick as well, while the new ones are trully hideous.

Yeah definitely, the yellow and black is my favourite from the diver range from IWC.

I tried on 3 of the new Aquatimers yesterday and I don't like them. The price is gone up also, they were asking for 5k for the entry level Aquatimer.
    http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/aquatimer/IW3290/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Wossack wrote: »
    My Stowa finally arrived last week - as per previous what watch should I buy? :)

Many thanks for the recommendation guys, Ive been very very chuffed with it - so much so, herself is letting me wear it right away (supposed to be a wedding present :pac:)

Very happy with the strap (colour is a good bit lighter in person), and the case size is grand on wrist imo - thanks again Zagato for letting me try yours for size :)

Coupla pics..!
    [/URL]

congrats, welcome to the Stowa club

Got this strap for my girlfriend, but I think I'd enjoy it more :)

316900.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

have one of these on pre order

Magrette GMT

magretterGMT_zps4476b640.jpg

dont see these on their website...where you getting it from DP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

TomCo wrote: »

316900.jpg

good swap

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    dont see these on their website...where you getting it from DP?

Linky

http://www.magrette.eu/web-store/magrette-watches/p-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

v. nice, what is that - omega?
    TomCo wrote: »

Honestly haven't a clue.

The dial is totally sterile and there are no identifying marks on the movement. From reviewing images of different movements it seems to use a AS984 which taking the style into consideration dates it to the 40's.

Lugs are drilled through and from the faint marks on the caseback it looks to have been on a NATO at some point in the past.

It's one of my favorites, I just wish I knew what it was!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement