Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic recomendations

• 16-05-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭

Ye probably get this a lot, but Im getting married in Sept, and herself asked if I'd like to pick out a watch for myself for the occasion. Liked the idea of getting an automatic for a long time, so reckon this is a good opportunity to get something good

Ive been lurking for a good while, reading up on this and that, and I have a few ideas, just want to see what folks thought.

Broadly speaking what Im after:
    New, good quality mechanical (ideally last longer then me)
    Ive small wrists (6.5" diameter), so only small-wearing 40mm watches at very the max sadly
    Simple comfortable everyday watch, I can dress up if desired. So nothing overly styled.
    Not mad on diver bezels
    Window on the back (:P)
    1000e max

Choices so far:
    Stowa Flieger, with logo, no date, brown strap, no rivets
    Flieger-m-Logo-o-Datum-11.jpg

Pros
    Quality sounds brilliant for the money
    Love the style of the watch - clean face, very readable
    Window back

Cons
    Size, I'm concerned about.. think its perhaps too big for me

Sin 556A, on bracelet (small links)
    sin556.jpg

Pros
    Size is potentially better at 38.5mm
    Better strap options, including the bracelet. Can vary the look quite a bit.
    Window back

Cons
    Entry level model detracts somewhat?
    I like the face, but not as much as the flieger

Couple of others (really like the Sinn 356, but prob out of budget, and size a bit of a concern - thick too). Came across some Damasko's, DA36 or DA37, which are strong contenders too, but like the 356, size and budget perhaps rule them out. Very strong positive for them though is their durability

My current watch, is a guess waterpro steel (dont scoff!), bought about 12 years ago, and its still going strong. Still really like the style of it - and will post a pic of it when I get a chance. Surprisingly couldnt find a pic of it on google images. Tis similar to attached, with silver face, and red seconds hand:

GuessWaterproSteel.jpg

approx 38mm iirc, but will confirm

Any thoughts? Sorry about the wall above ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

All lovely watches, you have great taste.

RE: 556A - I wouldn't be concerned with it's being being one of the cheaper Sinn's - it's actually my favourite of the collection and would be top of my list.

You'll have to post pic's when you get your watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hamilton have a wide range of good watches - they tend to be on the larger side, but there are some smaller ones.

515q8s4wxkL._SY300_.jpg

You could check out Time Factors as well:

sb3gmt1.jpg

But I'd probably go for the Stowa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Very interested in the Hamiltons alright (hmm, this might be the first of many watches..)
    Also found LACO watches, which sound very good. More then a couple 36mm options with them also - lovely hand winding for example

How are the Stowas for delivery? Will need it for the day (end of Sept), so ~4 months away

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They have the shipping date for each model on their site, so you can see when it'll be ready to go.

I like Hamiltons, and think they're great value for money - but for a wedding day watch, I think a Stowa would be a bit more special. You won't see many other people wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

Tissot Heritage Visodate would fit the bill also with a nice movement..

Tissot_VisoDate_500.jpg

max1-new-heritage-visodate-watches-tissot.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

steinhart only seem to have one watch less than 40mm and it might fit your requirements
    1677946206marine38_01.jpg
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/MARINE-38,583.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Archimede have a new "Outdoor protect"; case and bracelet are hardened, similar to more expensive Sinns and Damaskos.

Size is good with 39 mm also.

http://www.archimede-watches.com/archimede-watches-collection-pilot-deckwatch-klassik-diver-outdoor-automatic-handwound-chronograph-2824-6498-7750/outdoor-automatic-sport-watch/outdoor-protect-automatic-sport-watch.html

OutDoor-family-protect.jpg

They also offer engraved casebacks, so you could really make it into your wedding watch

boden-indivlaser-31.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm underwhelmingly wristed too Woss, actually a shade under 6.5(and an awkward shape with it), but what I've found over the years is the size in bald figures isn't always a good indicator. There have been watches that were under 40mm that sat very awkwardly on me, yet I have a 43mm(minus crown and pushers) Heuer that is very comfortable and if I didn't know the size I'd swear blind it was 40mm. The case weight, thickness and the shape of the lugs can make a huge difference between feeling like you've strapped on the watch or the watch has strapped you on. :) If I were you, I'd be checking out various watches in dealers and seeing how they actually fit you to get a better idea. Though the likes of Stowas are gonna be a lot harder to do this with. Unless you know someone with one.

What I have found to be an absolute curse as a glamorexic feck is getting straps that fit without having a yard of leather dangling outside the keeper, or having to resort to punching an extra hole. I always look like a kid who's wearing his dads watch. Bracelets aren't even an option. Even with short sized straps I'd only have one maybe two holes left. The first time I found a nato like strap back in the 90's I think I teared up, hence I've been keeping nylon weavers in gravy ever since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

What about something more bauhaus?
    Stowa Antea 390

Junghans Max Bill Automatic

thanks for the replies all, all very much appreciated :) I can feel your pain alright Wibbs - iirc it was very difficult to find something that didnt look like a wall clock on my wrist :o

Ive attached a pic of my waterpro. Its actually 39mm, but pretty neat at that. So 39mm across (41.5mm inc crown), 46mm lug to lug, 11mm height (?). Wrist is approx 6.5", maybe smidge more

IMG_20140516_174338 (1).jpg

Just to give some idea.. comparing those measurements to the Stowa, its actually more comparable then I thought it would be. Though the face covers a much bigger proportion of the 40mm, so I'd say it would give the illusion of being considerably larger - might get away it though?

I had considered some of the other more bauhaus models, but Im not 100% on the style (perhaps too formal for me) - similar to the linked steinhart, and tissots. I'm not in a shirt and tie for work, where I think they might look more at home

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

My wrist is also 6.5" and I've had a Stowa and it was really, absolutely fine. I only sold it because it had the ETA2801 instead of the Unitas and the hands weren't blued. I have a view that this watch should only be bought in the hand wind variant but I can see you're on the right track as you've selected the non-date (in my view the date versions of these are just wrong). You also won't go wrong with the Sinn.

If you consider a chronograph the later Omega Dynamic might be worth a look at 38.5mm - actually there's also a non-chrono version which I believe to be 36mm.
    12072013.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If Carlsberg did recommendations they'd do them like CB. :) Very nice pic.

Well I have a Stowa Flieger non date on my 6.75 wrist and is perfect. I have it on an old style riveted strap and tend to wear it at weekends with jeans/smart casual wear. A good friend of mine has the date version on a brown croc strap and he wears it to work everyday with a suit and it looks great that way too. I agree that the non date is the much nicer watch to look at and much cleaner, but when I was wearing it on a daily basis to work for a while, it did annoy me that it didn't have a date window.
    I'm sure could arrange to meet for coffee at some time and you could try it on.
    If you are ordering it you don't have to pay until 2 weeks before delivery, and the delivery dates on the website are estimates. So I would consider ordering it (specifically telling them that you want it for your wedding), and you can always cancel it later. If you could find an Omega Dynamic Chronograph within your budget in good nick, I would definitely consider that :)

Really liked the Omega Dynamic (one came up on one of my searches alright), but ruled it out as would prefer the large seconds hand for my first automatic, to really appreciate the mechanical movement. It not being new mightn't be a runner with herself too..

Many thanks for the offer Zagato, Im really on the fence and seeing one in the flesh might be what I need to get a informed final decision. So might take you up on that if thats ok..!

No problem, I'm obviously based in NCD and wander into the city from time to time, so PM me if you are going to be in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

If you consider a chronograph the later Omega Dynamic might be worth a look at 38.5mm - actually there's also a non-chrono version which I believe to be 36mm.

Nice comparison if the Sinn, Damasko and Omega here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?184027-Comparative-review-Damasko-DA36-v-Sinn-556-v-Omega-Dynamic

The Omega dynamic is out of production so if you go that route you will have to source a second hand one.

Took Zagato up on his kind offer a few weeks back (thanks again btw!), and tried on the flieger. Very happy with it, and it got ordered there last night :)