Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Changed handlebar tape for the first time today. Annoying job. Looks better than how it was, but there's little gaps around the hoods that will annoy me. Will probably do it again in a couple of weeks :(

Taping bars used to be one of my pet hates along with bleeding brakes but I'm kind of starting to like it lately, I think I just didn't get to do it enough in the past and knew I wasn't great at it because of this but I wrap a few bars a week these days so have a kind of system now, practice makes perfect and all that.

Most bar tapes can be re-wrapped so all is not lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Holyboy wrote: »
    Taping bars used to be one of my pet hates along with bleeding brakes but I'm kind of starting to like it lately, I think I just didn't get to do it enough in the past and knew I wasn't great at it because of this but I wrap a few bars a week these days so have a kind of system now, practice makes perfect and all that.

Most bar tapes can be re-wrapped so all is not lost!

Yes I think if I just take off the electrical tape on the tops, I can wrap it off back as far as the bar end plugs. That end was adhesive, won't come off easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Changed handlebar tape..........
    ..........which indicates you're sure to have an oily mechanical in the next day or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

..........which indicates you're sure to have an oily mechanical in the next day or two!

Had to fiddle with my rear brake literally the second I finished! I'm definitely sticking with black tape, i'm such a mucky pup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had to fiddle with my rear brake literally the second I finished! I'm definitely sticking with black tape, i'm such a mucky pup.

Likewise, I persevered with lighter tape for a year, but gave in to black recently. And screw tighten plugs. Nothing more annoying than have one of the push in ones that come with the tape fall out on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

we got a nespresso machine in work, im thinking of buying one for the house. any opinions? I will of course use it to only drink espresso or macchiato in accordance with the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lennymc wrote: »
    we got a nespresso machine in work, im thinking of buying one for the house. any opinions? I will of course use it to only drink espresso or macchiato in accordance with the rules.

A waste of money. All you need is a grinder and a percolator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The black ristretto capsules are the best, 3 of those in one go and you're ready for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

I got a fancy Gaggia coffee machine for a wedding present a few years back. Used it a bit but it was a real pain in the backside to clean. Coffee grinds everywhere, lots if fiddly bits to wash up.
    Wife bought me a Nespresso machine about 2 years ago and it's great. For me the benefits are
    (1) the convenience (very little cleaning) and
    (2) the consistency (coffee is perfect every time - not too strong, not too weak, not burnt, not cold).
    Gaggia is now in the attic.

Fortissio Lungo FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It's in the running for "most used" item in my house. Perfect result every time.

• Advertisement

Fúcking heathens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bialetti stovetop for me. Basic. Apparently 80% of Italian homes have one. Good enough for me.
    Have one in work too.

This is what I mean BTW...
    cafetiere-900x900.jpg

Nespresso are the work of Satan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Planet X wrote: »
    Bialetti stovetop for me. Basic. Apparently 80% of Italian homes have one. Good enough for me.
    Have one in work too.
    They make nice coffee alright, but not enough of it, so you're constantly cleaning the damn things. French press is the way to go, you can easily get 3 mugs of coffee out of one.
    So you only have to fill it twice before lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Raam wrote: »

I have 3 or 4 of those lying around the place. A couple bags of Lavazza too. All untouched since Satan's work arrived :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

cafetiere-900x900.jpg

Yeah. They're the ones I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Love my nespresso, great coffee, easy to use and relatively no cleaning. Coffee in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seamus wrote: »
    you can easily get 3 mugs of coffee out of one.

I laughed when I overheard a waiter in Rome "politely" tell a loud American tourist that no, we don't serve 'mugs' of coffee in Italy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fúcking heathens.
    Planet X wrote: »
    Have one in work too.

I sometimes think that people who use stuff like nespresso are the same people that love power meters.
    Sometimes technology doesn't add a lot to what one already has.

I worked at an Italian firm for a few years - the guys there all had stove tops. Best coffee ever. Some guys would make an extra espresso and keep it to grow back into the pot to kickstart the next brew.
    Also, you rinse them, not wash them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,136 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ROK ON wrote: »
    I sometimes think that people who use stuff like nespresso are the same people that love power meters.

I sometimes think that people who would never use a Nespresso are the same people who would never use a turbo.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    I sometimes think that people who would never use a Nespresso are the same people who would never use a turbo.

I've used both, so I guess that proves your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

I worked at an Italian firm for a few years - the guys there all had stove tops. Best coffee ever. Some guys would make an extra espresso and keep it to grow back into the pot to kickstart the next brew.
    Also, you rinse them, not wash them.

My company has an Italian office and they always used the Bialetti type pots. In recent years though they got a Nespresso machine and I haven't seen anyone using the espresso pots recently. I was surprised that they would use Nespresso in Italy - thought it would be against the law or something - but there you go...

Seems there's no escaping Satan's brew...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a stove top one and one of these
    20814851-260x260-0-0_DeLonghi+BAR+14.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

hahahaha. you know me so well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got one as a Christmas present two years ago, one every morning to start the day now, the seasonal noes are usually quite good, there are two white capsule ones with either red or green lines on them, no idea what they are called but the ones with the red lines are delicious.
    Had one of these for awhile, perfectly good coffee, I use it whenever we run out of capsules and have to wait for the missus to buy more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I can't afford a grinder but I do have two good old fashioned stove top espresso pots (from IKEA). Have the pleasure is in the ritual.

On another note. Would anyone recommend the DHB windslam jersey (the basic/cheapest one)?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve-windslam-jersey/

Looking for a budget way to be comfortable in the wind without lobstering myself (as is the case in my current lidl windstopper jacket).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

I can't afford a grinder but I do have two good old fashioned stove top espresso pots (from IKEA). Have the pleasure is in the ritual.

On another note. Would anyone recommend the DHB windslam jersey (the basic/cheapest one)?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve-windslam-jersey/

Looking for a budget way to be comfortable in the wind without lobstering myself (as is the case in my current lidl windstopper jacket).

I have this one which is sort of similar, I have found it excellent over the last few months. Good quality, not any sign of wear anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

www.thecoffeepod.ie
    I get my espresso shots there.
    If you buy 150 they work out at 20c each.
    3 months supply :-)

CPL 593H

Had a moment of weakness and ordered the DHB Windslam from wiggle. It'll really inspire me to work harder heading up towards the Sally gap tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Tea and buscuits. All else is for posers and poofters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

It's built..........I'm assured pictures and specs' will be posted tomorrow, sub 6kg who would have thought it :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,500 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's built..........I'm assured pictures and specs' will be posted tomorrow, sub 6kg who would have thought it :)
    Haha! - Astra will be devastated that you beat him to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

From the conversation so far, i'd expect a bike with a coffee machine on it :p

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »

Yeah...cause espresso is the gay part of cycling...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Funny, hadn't looked at this thread in ages, but went for a browse as i was waiting for my bialetti to brew. Was a fan of Illy coffee, but discovered Lavazza Crema & Gusto recently-delicious ! Never managed to make coffee in French press that had any flavour, no matter how much coffee i put in !

LastGasp wrote: »
    Funny, hadn't looked at this thread in ages, but went for a browse as i was waiting for my bialetti to brew. Was a fan of Illy coffee, but discovered Lavazza Crema & Gusto recently-delicious ! Never managed to make coffee in French press that had any flavour, no matter how much coffee i put in !

The IKEA espresso is actually excellent and only €2.10 per 250g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

damn better put the cafetiere coffee i have at the moment down the sink then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

LastGasp wrote: »

Crema & Gusto has a bad rep amongst those who use espresso machines etc, but it's actually 100% perfect for caftiere use, and is surprisingly creamy.

I'd second Ikea coffee. Very good for the price and their decaf is good too. They have a great deal on coffee there at the moment.

Also, caftiere is so easy to use:

Boil kettle. Leave for 30 seconds. In that 30 seconds use the boiling water to heat caftiere and cup. After 30 seconds pour on top of spoon of coffee in caftiere, leave for 5, lpunge, leave for 1. Result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Crema & Gusto has a bad rep amongst those who use espresso machines etc, but it's actually 100% perfect for caftiere use, and is surprisingly creamy.

I'd second Ikea coffee. Very good for the price and their decaf is good too. They have a great deal on coffee there at the moment.

Also, caftiere is so easy to use:

Boil kettle. Leave for 30 seconds. In that 30 seconds use the boiling water to heat caftiere and cup. After 30 seconds pour on top of spoon of coffee in caftiere, leave for 5, lpunge, leave for 1. Result.

Are you mad ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Agree about the ikea coffee BUT the packaging for the decaf and the normal are too close to each other as I found to my cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Nespresso makes great espresso, especially the ristretto capsules are very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Nespresso makes great espresso, especially the ristretto capsules are very nice.

Very good espresso, just the trick before a spin. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

12148.gif

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Are you mad ffs

Can't drink cafinated coffee after noon or I go ape****.
    bcmf wrote: »
    Agree about the ikea coffee BUT the packaging for the decaf and the normal are too close to each other as I found to my cost.

Yep, fell foul of this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Four Pints an' a Ride

Should have none it years ago. Even took the long way home, for extra craic. Never said that to a taxi driver. Then spent an age on FB with friends in diff time zones. Thoroughly modern mamil ye are dealing with here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

2 pages of coffee discussion and no mention of Has beans, pfft! Give me a good grinder and my induction espresso pot or aero press over a nespresso machine any day....though I am currently eyeing up a gaggia...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

colm_gti wrote: »
    Give me a good grinder and my induction espresso pot or aero press over a nespresso machine any day....though I am currently eyeing up a gaggia...

What would one recommend as good grinder, for a reasonable price? I would like something to get a fine espresso grind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Am I the only one around here who isn't a coffee obsessive?

As far as I'm concerned there are two reasons to drink coffee.

A) It's 6am and you're 400km into an audax/idiotspin and you need to stay awake until 8am.

B) There's an attractive waitress and you can't think of any other excuse for being in the cafe.

Am I the only one around here who isn't a coffee obsessive?

As far as I'm concerned there are two reasons to drink coffee.

A) It's 6am and you're 400km into an audax/idiotspin and you need to stay awake until 8am.

B) There's an attractive waitress and you can't think of any other excuse for being in the cafe.

Nope, you get to be friends with the guy who thinks drinking coffee makes you gay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

CramCycle wrote: »
    What would one recommend as good grinder, for a reasonable price? I would like something to get a fine espresso grind.

The ones in 3fe or coffee angel, can't think of the brand off hand, think they're €60, the portable hand mills they have are good too. Otherwise I got by ok with a delonghi one from Argos for €30...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement