Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

According to that we've a data retention law.... Do we? :eek:
    Communications (Retention of Data) Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

briany wrote: »
    Here's an interesting bit of news - Demonoid is back (Torrentfreak news link), apparently. My old login works on it, although a quick nose tells me that it looks like a bit of a torrent graveyard/museum. Hardly the trove of obscurity it was back in the heady mid-late 2000s.

Honestly I would wait a while and see, it might just be another honeypot set up by the Recording Industries / Movie Industries. Myself I will wait at least 2-3 months before I even attempt as much as to visit that site. Those guys were great back in the day, but with all this legal nonsense, it smells of a deal being struck; as in we let you run the site and catch whoever logs in / grabs our sweet honney and you don't go to Siberia for the rest of your lives for daring to steal from the best thieves in the world -> The Music / Movie Industry.

Anyone remember this? http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharing-site-was-a-year-long-pirate-honeypot-131024/ or the other site set up by the RIAA / MPAA to simply catch everyone who visited, downloaded from there.

Question, how would this law pertain to an encrypted connection to a SSH tunnel to one IP address; the VPN? I am just wondering, would they record the packets going back and forth and decrypt them? Are they capable of that?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Honestly I would wait a while and see, it might just be another honeypot set up by the Recording Industries / Movie Industries. Myself I will wait at least 2-3 months before I even attempt as much as to visit that site. Those guys were great back in the day, but with all this legal nonsense, it smells of a deal being struck; as in we let you run the site and catch whoever logs in / grabs our sweet honney and you don't go to Siberia for the rest of your lives for daring to steal from the best thieves in the world -> The Music / Movie Industry.

Anyone remember this? http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharing-site-was-a-year-long-pirate-honeypot-131024/ or the other site set up by the RIAA / MPAA to simply catch everyone who visited, downloaded from there.

I remember that thing with Uploader Talk, but any discussion I read about it was a load of people claiming they'd never heard of it. A torrent honeypot - what advantage does that offer over pulling IPs off the tracker, exactly? Seems like a silly question but not when you consider all the whys, wherefores and circumstantial vagaries that surround torrenting.

I remember that thing with Uploader Talk, but any discussion I read about it was a load of people claiming they'd never heard of it. A torrent honeypot - what advantage does that offer over pulling IPs off the tracker, exactly? Seems like a silly question but not when you consider all the whys, wherefores and circumstantial vagaries that surround torrenting.
    I guess I am overly paranoid, strange that when I was in the US I could care less, and now that I am in a country that isn't even on their radar screen:o Strange I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so, are there any free VPN's one can use? also, whats the best VPN software to use?

murfilein wrote: »
    so, are there any free VPN's one can use? also, whats the best VPN software to use?

Silly, you don't need one because of course you'll only be downloading Linux distros, abandonware and the material of self promoting artístes.....

Really, though, are people here still getting hit by strike notices and court summons that this needs to be a thing? I haven't heard much about that kind of carry on as of late. I was under the impression that it had died off, pretty much, and the new tac was simply to lobby ISPs to block pirate sites.

Silly, you don't need one because of course you'll only be downloading Linux distros, abandonware and the material of self promoting artístes.....

Really, though, are people here still getting hit by strike notices and court summons that this needs to be a thing? I haven't heard much about that kind of carry on as of late. I was under the impression that it had died off, pretty much, and the new tac was simply to lobby ISPs to block pirate sites.
    In the US they have the *6 strikes on the butt* signed with major ISPs with elevated responses, but most lead nowhere, only 1 or two ISPs actually breaks a contract with a paying user, they usually down throttle for a period no longer than 24 hours. But in reality this will backfire over time as when I lived there, on any street (literally) there are so many unsecured open wifi networks, that when law abiding citizens start getting harassment calls / emails / disconnections, this won't get very far. Another short-term strategy if you ask me, especially for such places as NYC, Florida, California, Texas..basically all the heavily populated metropolitan areas where older generation people aren't as tech savvy as the younger generation. It saddens me really, but it is the truth :(. A real constructive approach would be to offer better distribution services to match piracy, not try to patch it with a short term band-aid.

There was also one called MiiVi.com, that one made a pretty big scuffle in the torrent world.
    Source - http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-emails-leaked-070915/

There was also one called MiiVi.com, that one made a pretty big scuffle in the torrent world.
    Source - http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-emails-leaked-070915/

I was wondering why I hadn't heard of that one but I see that it dates from 2007. I think people have been pretty wary of any kind of file sharing site with a 'kewrl' name from there on out.
    In the US they have the *6 strikes on the butt* signed with major ISPs with elevated responses, but most lead nowhere, only 1 or two ISPs actually breaks a contract with a paying user, they usually down throttle for a period no longer than 24 hours. But in reality this will backfire over time as when I lived there, on any street (literally) there are so many unsecured open wifi networks, that when law abiding citizens start getting harassment calls / emails / disconnections, this won't get very far. Another short-term strategy if you ask me, especially for such places as NYC, Florida, California, Texas..basically all the heavily populated metropolitan areas where older generation people aren't as tech savvy as the younger generation. It saddens me really, but it is the truth :(. A real constructive approach would be to offer better distribution services to match piracy, not try to patch it with a short term band-aid.

I think getting companies of the size we're talking about to change their ways is a bit like getting a supertanker to do a 180 turn. There's a huge iceberg dead ahead but the captain would rather maintain course, sink the ship and escape on the only lifeboat than admit that there's a better way.

There's a lot of f'd up stuff going on the US in the internet realm, with regards to the consumer, although I was thinking more of the situation in Ireland when talking about suing and strikes. I think the companies realised that here it was too impractical to sue or cut people off because the population is small enough that the cons outweigh the advantages in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

of course, but its no ones business to know that i'm doing that :D

I was wondering why I hadn't heard of that one but I see that it dates from 2007. I think people have been pretty wary of any kind of file sharing site with a 'kewrl' name from there on out.

I think getting companies of the size we're talking about to change their ways is a bit like getting a supertanker to do a 180 turn. There's a huge iceberg dead ahead but the captain would rather maintain course, sink the ship and escape on the only lifeboat than admit that there's a better way.

There's a lot of f'd up stuff going on the US in the internet realm, with regards to the consumer, although I was thinking more of the situation in Ireland when talking about suing and strikes. I think the companies realised that here it was too impractical to sue or cut people off because the population is small enough that the cons outweigh the advantages in doing so.

Well I am no longer in the US so their methods aren't really that much of a concern to me at the moment. What is of concern is this side of the pond :) We really need to get our butts in gear and cut out the middleman, in this case the US in internet control. A DNS server can be placed anywhere and all routing does NOT have to go through the US. I am in a country that is also a part of the EU and if we got our act together, all this spying nonsense could simply go away. Think about our history, the US is just a baby compared to the history of Europe, Ireland, Middle East and england. We had all our eggs in a basket for all these Centuries, I think it's time to come together and change some things around. I am not saying cut the US off from the net, not at all, but as it stands right now, they can simply pull the cord and there goes the net, that is too much power for one nation to have over all the other nations. amirite? lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

murfilein wrote: »

There are plenty of free VPN's, just google free vpn access... but they are always over subscribed and using one for downloading is going to be very slow indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sookie23

Probably moving to UPC today (its all set up). I've been reading very mixed information about UPC and torrenting. I don't mind if certain torrent sites are blocked, as this is inevitable in this day and age, but I'd like to know:

1) if UPC will throttle download/upload speeds when torrenting from sites that aren't blocked, and
    2) if UPC disclose information on who is torrenting (especially if these people do a lot of seeding)

If someone could reply soon, I'd be grateful as I've already got this set up to be installed today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

sookie23 wrote: »
    1) if UPC will throttle download/upload speeds when torrenting from sites that aren't blocked, and

No

2) if UPC disclose information on who is torrenting (especially if these people do a lot of seeding)

No idea

I've had no issues and I'm over 2 years with them.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

^ Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ditto. Nearly 2 years with UPC and haven't got my first letter yet never mind my third despite downloading 500gb a month of ** ***** and ******.

That said, I'm not going to tempt fate much longer and will be using a VPN for my torrenting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

Net1.ie have blocked access to the piratebay in the past 48 hours or so.
    I hope it's not just me!

Worried about the letter in the post? Try peerblock http://www.peerblock.com/

Calibos wrote: »
    Ditto. Nearly 2 years with UPC and haven't got my first letter yet never mind my third despite downloading 500gb a month of ** ***** and ******.

That said, I'm not going to tempt fate much longer and will be using a VPN for my torrenting soon.

Wow thats quite a surprise. Thats great to hear as i'm currently trying to fill up the 3TB i've got left. Anyone else have any feedback on UPC and torrenting? If there are any issues, i might start using a vpn myself

I apologize if this is considered spamming, but cant seem to edit last post on this phone :/

Would like to know in particular in regards to seeding if peeps have had any problems with upc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I only seed for a few hours with a 100KB global limit tbh. With a days worth of shows queued up I'm rapidly downloading at 10-14MB per second. Yes I am a leech but my leeching hasn't collapsed the torrent system yet. :D

I use peerblock btw. Some say it helps block IPs from copyright groups, some say its useless. It's free, doesn't affect my day to day Internet usage so I continue to use it regardless of whether it's actually helping.

So as far as my experience goes, UPC are not throttling me in the slightest and are unlikely to be too proactive in getting rid of me as they would lose €160 a month from me. That €160 a month is also the reason I feel no moral qualms about torrenting shows. Everything I torrent is shown on one channel or another on my TV package within hours, days and rarely weeks. The content creators are getting my money via my UPC subscription. I just acquire that content via a different medium to watch what I want, when I want, where I want and without the limitations imposed by unreliable small capacity UPC DVRs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Went passed 10MBp/s today on my internet while torrenting, delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Calibos wrote: »
    I only seed for a few hours with a 100KB global limit tbh. With a days worth of shows queued up I'm rapidly downloading at 10-14MB per second. Yes I am a leech but my leeching hasn't collapsed the torrent system yet. :D
    there's no FUP/AUP any more, so why bother doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Having issues recently and would welcome any help. On the top tier UPC package and everything was fine up until recently. Within the last 2 weeks or so it's rare that my dl speed goes above 50kB/s. I'm using a paid VPN but I have disconnected it several times and that makes no difference to the download speed so I suspect I might be getting throttled by UPC.

Is there anyway to circumvent this? It's always limited to this speed. Isn't just during peak. Changed ports the other day and that helped for about 15 minutes or so.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Having issues recently and would welcome any help. On the top tier UPC package and everything was fine up until recently. Within the last 2 weeks or so it's rare that my dl speed goes above 50kB/s. I'm using a paid VPN but I have disconnected it several times and that makes no difference to the download speed so I suspect I might be getting throttled by UPC.

Is there anyway to circumvent this? It's always limited to this speed. Isn't just during peak. Changed ports the other day and that helped for about 15 minutes or so.

50KB/s you need to contact UPC tech support, theres a technical issue there..not throttling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

gavmcg92 wrote: »

rent a dedi server and use FTP to get your d/loads or just stream them using Plex

speed test of my Dedi Server, 1080 movie in three minutes

3241893956.png

50KB/s you need to contact UPC tech support, theres a technical issue there..not throttling

The issue only seems to be on BitTorrent. Speedtests are showing the full speed. Will they even deal with me?
    kingtiger wrote: »
    rent a dedi server and use FTP to get your d/loads or just stream them using Plex

speed test of my Dedi Server, 1080 movie in three minutes

3241893956.png

Don't think I need it if I'm honest. Don't DL much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So if you download a file you are getting X Mb/second and if you torrent you get 0.050 MB/second...ouch...I would call them either way and ask. Just say you love downloading free Linux distributions and this is impacting you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You also need to factor in the speed the torrent uploader & seeders are giving you too.

Is it the same for every torrent?

Is your torrent source always the same or, are you using many different sources?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

You also need to factor in the speed the torrent uploader & seeders are giving you too.

Is it the same for every torrent?

Is your torrent source always the same or, are you using many different sources?

It's pretty much the same for all torrents. Even recent stuff with good seeder counts.

Steam downloads don't seem to be affected. They're running at my normal download rate.

Advertisement