Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kingdoms of Amalur

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This game sort came out of the blue to me and god did I enjoy it. Played it on the PC but used a controller as it seemed a bit more fluid considering how bad the camera is (which has apparently been fixed in the released version). Really enjoyed the combat sorta reminded me of the Witcher almost which is a great sign and I loved the art style. Definitely a Day 1 Purchase for me.

Ign have their review up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Stop saying Am-oo-lar you Yank!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What really bugs me is they say Tu-Ath-ah instead of Thoo-haa as it's meant to be pronounced by any proper Irish person :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I dled the demo of this today really enjoyed it, looking forward to playing the game and exploring the world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sharrow wrote: »
    I dled the demo of this today really enjoyed it, looking forward to playing the game and exploring the world.

I'm tempted to get it myself as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Have to say despite the pretty glaring bugs I enjoyed the demo also, that 45 mins goes along way if like me you're anal about stats and upgrade paths while playing an RPG. :o

Initial thoughts are that the combat will be great, devil may cry meets dark souls are the first impressions. At higher levels it will be very fast paced, just hope that hardest difficulty really provides a challenge and forces you to understand and work a good build and be effective with the combat system.

One thing I am worried about it the side quest system, I hope it doesn't suffer from MMO syndrome (i.e collect 6 plants, kill 10 goblins etc.). Initial reviews say there is 60+ hours of content though so fingers crossed. It's out in NA today so reviews should be up over the next 24 hours or so and should give us a better insight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Big Knox wrote: »
    Initial reviews say there is 60+ hours of content though so fingers crossed. It's out in NA today so reviews should be up over the next 24 hours or so and should give us a better insight.

I read somewhere where they mentioned 200 hours?
    Maybe thats side quests etc?

Dcully wrote: »
    I read somewhere where they mentioned 200 hours?
    Maybe thats side quests etc?

Alot of reviews up now and yeah looks like there is 200+ hours in total if you really want to do everything it has to offer.

General consensus is the combat and character development is great, it's not a grind in any way and there's tonnes of loot to help progression and there is a sh1t load of content but the negatives are very it has a very bland MMO like world and generic plot and doesen't really offer anything new to the genre.

8/10 seems to be the average score. Will be picking this up, the combat character development and vast amounts of loot will keep me playing. Just hope it is difficult enough to complement it's deep customisation and combat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Thought the demo was worryingly easy. The troll part required no finesse at all - just pressed the attack button until it died.

Yeah it's definitely one to play on the hardest setting alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fnz wrote: »
    Thought the demo was worryingly easy. The troll part required no finesse at all - just pressed the attack button until it died.
    Well in fairness, up until you enter the main world is a tutorial, so it's meant to be easy. But outside I has a bit of trouble with combat until I found a hammer and then tore through everything. So hopefully they'll ramp up the difficulty instead of allowing you to be a hammer weilding god 10 minutes into the game.

I dunno humanji, being Thor has a certain appeal... :p

Total Biscuit running a live stream of the full game right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit

Don't want to spoil it by watching that stream. I felt the combat was very item related regards to how easy killing sh*t was, I remember struggling against the Legion with my starter gear and really having to think about how to fight. I just love the **** tons of loot im a sucker for that stuff.

• Advertisement

There are a slew of other live-streaming along with TotalBiscuit - djWheat and Day[9] amongst others. http://www.twitch.tv/team/reckoning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When I saw the title of this game on steam, I instinctly dismissed it. Now word of mouth has me interested in it

When I saw the title of this game on steam, I instinctly dismissed it. Now word of mouth has me interested in it

It's very under the radar in terms of coverage until this past week imo. I never heard of it at all and installed the demo for a look see. If your into loot gathering and such it's a fun game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The name is very off-putting alright. Maybe 'Reckoning' or 'Amalur' would have been better.

Anyway, will be picking this up on Friday based on the reviews I have read.

So Curt Schilling who's the guy who owns 38 Studios who are the developers of this was on Day[9] last night via a Skype call and they're also planning an MMO, so it seems that with Salvatore's help, they're creating an entirely new world in Amalur and the names will probably make more sense when there are more titles :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So who's getting it for the pc and who's getting it for the ps3/xbox :-P?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

So who's getting it for the pc and who's getting it for the ps3/xbox :-P?

PC here - so long as some of the niggly little things (such as auto-running once you pass in/out of instanced zones), I'll be happy enough since the gameplay did seem quite enjoyable IMO. The storyline, from what the demo described, seems a bit bonkers but I'll just about get over that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I might get it for PS3 tbh, just so i have something decent to play when im at uni.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pc, but will play it with the 360 pad.

Kiith wrote: »

I forgot You could do that,might get it for pc after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Didnt think of this. Was gonna get it on 360 but ill get it on the PC now for sure. Is there any other peripheral needed other than a 360 control and a USB port?

Didnt think of this. Was gonna get it on 360 but ill get it on the PC now for sure. Is there any other peripheral needed other than a 360 control and a USB port?

Not sure about the wired joypad, but i don't think you can just connect up the standard joypad (might be wrong). I think you need a certain connection. I use the wireless receiver, and it works perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Not sure about the wired joypad, but i don't think you can just connect up the standard joypad (might be wrong). I think you need a certain connection. I use the wireless receiver, and it works perfectly.

The wired Xbox joypad is just plug and play for me anyway.

I only bought it recently, don't know how I managed without it.

This is out today, isn't it?

This is out today, isn't it?

Yup,got it in game for the.ps3 for 49.99

• Advertisement

Might check the prices in town for the pc, but can't see it being any cheaper than on G2Play (€34.99). Would like to not have to download it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

stupid slow install. hurry up little grey bar :o

So I have to pay for DLC on day one? F**king nice one EA :rolleyes:

stupid slow install. hurry up little grey bar :o

So I have to pay for DLC on day one? F**king nice one EA :rolleyes:

Isn't the day 1 dlc free for people who buy the game new?

Yea, as far as I know it's one of those "anti-second-hand-sales" DLCs AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Replayed the Demo last night (first demo I've played through 5 times in a long while) - tempted now to pick it up.

Can anyone who gets the PS3 version let us know if the graphical glitches from the demo have been fixed (specifically the large black hole that appears when you leave the Inn)? Thanks.

Isn't the day 1 dlc free for people who buy the game new?
    There is mass effect armor and 7 quests but when I went into DLC there are three items at 270 (I know its **** all) each. One for finesse one for magic and one for brute.
    Had I of known I might of bought some points but they didnt bother their holes telling anyone about it in the adverts/reviews for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There is mass effect armor and 7 quests but when I went into DLC there are three items at 270 (I know its **** all) each. One for finesse one for magic and one for brute.
    Had I of known I might of bought some points but they didnt bother their holes telling anyone about it in the adverts/reviews for it.
    They're the pre-order bonuses, aren't they?

humanji wrote: »
    They're the pre-order bonuses, aren't they?

Yeah the amazon pre order and all that sh*te.

Ah I pre-ordered from gamestop thats the problem :(

Still I am really enjoying the game all the bugs I noticed in the Demo are gone, construction, potions and Gem making are fun enough and my Commander Shepard armor looks great. Im so happy my Girlfriends going out of town today :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

HMV was the cheapest of the B&M shops, 47.99 on the consoles.

Game was 49.99 so was GameStop.

Smyths eh.............. didn't have it or Darkness 2 :confused:

Didn't see the pc price by any chance, did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So is it any good?

Really enjoying it so far. The combat is great, way beyond what you would normally expect from an RPG. Character customization is great and my god there's lots and lots of loot!!!

Blacksmithing and Gem crafting is pretty solid, needs levels invested to make good items though as you find alot of epics even in your first few hours of play but with some thought and preparation I am now creating some really nice gear.

It starts slow enough for the first few hours but it's really picking up now in terms of quests and story. Overall I would definitely recommend it, if you like fast hack and slash combat and indepth character development with tonnes of loot options then definitely pick it up.

My one complaint is that it is far too easy even on the hardest difficulty. It will be fine for most casual players but if you like theory crafting and getting the most out of the combat and abilities you wont find much of a challenge.

So is it any good?
    Yes its really good, Kinda like what Fable 2 could of been if Peter Moleynuex wasnt allowed near it. but much bigger, the map is huge weopons are really diverse enemys are cool some are rather annoying but you feel great after killing them and you can respec your charecter wheneer you want. I think ive settled on Greatsword and Great hammer, but if i want i could go sneaky theif in an instant.

• Advertisement

loving the game so far anyway,playing the ps3,having some frame rate issues sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

I traded in Skyrim for this ( put 50 hours into it) and I'm not sorry I did. After ny first sitting I'm 5 hours in, combat and weapon upgrades are what make this. I started doing a few side quests but it went up a gear for the main quests. My only worry with this game, will I be finished before Mass Effect next month. I'm playing on PS3.

Ill be grabbing this along with the fxaa skyrim mod that works with it as seen above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Didn't see the pc price by any chance, did you?

It's 39.99 in GameStop, not sure about GAME (although it's probably the same - why did I pre-order on Steam ;_; ). Haven't looked anywhere else.

Also, now that I think of it, is anyone else (on PC) getting "An unknown connection error occured" when trying to connect to your EA account? I want those goodies from the demo, but that stupid error stands in the way :|

There's too much loot!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement