Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 29k colour livery

Options
  • 25-03-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen or have pics of the supposedly new 29K livery scheme ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i didn't know they were planning a new one for the 29s, nothing wrong with the current one, much more important things to be spending money on rather then something unnecessary like this

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

i didn't know they were planning a new one for the 29s, nothing wrong with the current one, much more important things to be spending money on rather then something unnecessary like this

It does seem a waste of money, apparently its two tone green and has been spotted by a few people but no pics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nibs05 wrote: »
    It does seem a waste of money, apparently its two tone green and has been spotted by a few people but no pics

It's part of life cycle, 10+ years so far with current paint job. Would expect when they are due for a repaint they will be done like the 2600 and 2800 units. Can't see why the 2900 would be completly different to the rest of the fleet which is yellow/sliver/green.

http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2014Photos/March-2014#!/i-Wf7xs6R

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Probably because the 29ks are Commuter branding so they get their own livery like the DARTs have their own. The 26,28 and 22 all have the Irish Rail livery because they can end up almost anywhere. The Mk4s are different to everything else besides the 201s in the same livery.

I have noticed for months now that the 29s are not being repainted the paint is flaking badly around the cabs and drivers door missing lots of paint. It's exactly like how the DD stock went before they got the sliver and green Enterprise livery.

Probably because the 29ks are Commuter branding so they get their own livery like the DARTs have their own. The 26,28 and 22 all have the Irish Rail livery because they can end up almost anywhere. The Mk4s are different to everything else besides the 201s in the same livery.

I have noticed for months now that the 29s are not being repainted the paint is flaking badly around the cabs and drivers door missing lots of paint. It's exactly like how the DD stock went before they got the sliver and green Enterprise livery.

You may have a point however the whole point of the logo change was to get rid of "commuter" and "intercity" branding. As 22 operate some commuter service and 29 operate some Intercity service I will be very surprised if they are different to the current colours on 26,28 etc. 2600 Cork commuter so one would expect them to be the same as 29000 in that case.

Mark 4's are a different story and wouldn't be due a change for a few years at least. My favourite of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I can confirm it is a completely different livery to that of any other rolling stock.

It is a dark two toned green, that came out of the paint shop late last week.

The set that has been done is 29017.

I am sure there will be photos when the set leaves "The Works".

Not sure if I like it, but some of the 29000s are a bit shabby especially around the cab ends and would be due a repaint anyway.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    the whole point of the logo change was to get rid of "commuter" and "intercity" branding. As 22 operate some commuter service and 29 operate some Intercity service

and that of course is the problem, they want to interchange commuter and intercity sets around on all routes rather then bothering to make sure the respective sets operate on the routes they are designed for

and that of course is the problem, they want to interchange commuter and intercity sets around on all routes rather then bothering to make sure the respective sets operate on the routes they are designed for

Yep, the Rosslare line services were top of the list when making the decisions. :rolleyes: but seriously do you really believe that the reason.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yep, the Rosslare line services were top of the list when making the decisions. but seriously do you really believe that the reason.
    where irish rail are concerned i wouldn't be surprised what the reason is, commuter trains should be running commuter routes and long distance designed trains should be running long distance routes, its common sense, but isn't happening, theirs no excuse for it

Here we go, very nice in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Thats GREEN!
    Ya certainly wouldn't lose it.

Your average commuter won't be able to tell the difference between a DART and Commuter train now. If they are the same colour they are the same train, that's what most people go by and don't look for physical differences. Can't wait for the first pic of one of those in the new livery hauling a DART.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

that is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Your average commuter won't be able to tell the difference between a DART and Commuter train now.

Cue rush hour chaos. Note how they have dropped the Commuter branding - obviously they intend to keep sending them to Sligo and Rosslare.

Can't believe I am typing this but IE have done well, looks great.

It actually makes the logo look a little better to!

Another one i got sent

Looks very U.K. like to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Wow. Anyone getting an 80s vibe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Your average commuter won't be able to tell the difference between a DART and Commuter train now. If they are the same colour they are the same train, that's what most people go by and don't look for physical differences. Can't wait for the first pic of one of those in the new livery hauling a DART.

There'll be many of those mistakes made alright. Cue a train arriving in Skerries direct with a passenger crying because they wanted to get off in Killester :rolleyes:

All their own fault, of course, for being silly and not paying attention to RTPI, announcements, timetables, screens in carriages, or noticing that it's a noisy and totally different type of train than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Wonder how they managed in pre-DART days, when all but the Dublin-Cork Mark 2D "Supertrains" looked like this, colour-scheme wise.
    Geograph-1660973-by-Aubrey-Dale.jpg

And it seems that IE is stuck on thinking that a different colour coat of paint will make any difference to the service other than to waste money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The unit was due a repaint...how is that wasting money?..and it doesn't look anything like a Dart!

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    The unit was due a repaint...how is that wasting money?..and it doesn't look anything like a Dart!

It doesn't look like a DART to me or you who are into trains but I showed this pic to my folks tonight and they said so, it's just a DART.

And a few times I have been at Pearse in the late afternoon and the PA system and display would say the next train is for Maynooth and a DART arrives 3mins later. Happens a good bit where the system mixes up the order of north bound DART and Commuter trains. This will make it even more fun. Might actually make people stop going around like zombies being spoon fed info and take an interest in what they are doing and cop on.

And with the DART logo after getting even smaller and put in a narrow font too, I feel sorry for people not familiar with the Dublin rail system now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Will they still be branded as "Commuter"?

The reason why I ask is that there is no indication of this on sides of the coaches.

In my opinion, people will get more confused between the DART and Commuter brand of trains if the keep trying to bring more green in to the colour scheme. The partially white and blue stripe at the bottom half of the coaches distinguished the Commuter livery from that on the DART.

Don't get me wrong, the colour is very vibrant!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

MGWR wrote: »
    Wonder how they managed in pre-DART days, when all but the Dublin-Cork Mark 2D "Supertrains" looked like this, colour-scheme wise.
    Geograph-1660973-by-Aubrey-Dale.jpg

And it seems that IE is stuck on thinking that a different colour coat of paint will make any difference to the service other than to waste money.

The MkII "Super Trains" never carried a colour scheme similar to the above -thankfully.

Mk%2B2%2Bfirst%2Blivery%2B1976.jpg

How anybody could think that the new (?) 29k livery is attractive is quite beyond me - is it really as bad as it looks or is it just crap photographs? :D

I think the new livery looks very private UK operator type. I say when it weathers a bit and tones down it will look ok.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I saw the cab half out of the paint shop last week when I was passing Inchicore and I thought I was seeing things. Kind of reminds me of the Hulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭purplepanda

A darker shade of green would have been better :D

Dare I say it British Racing Green? ;) Which was Irish I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

It is no orange but glad to see something different. Between Irish Rail and Bus Eireann, there was something characterful and different about the liveries before they were changed. The new BE intercity stuff is not great. I am very much not a fan of the current intercity and DMU liveries. which I think are a bit bland.

I am 50/50 on the slate grey of the 071 class but, I guess there is something about that colour and big feck off work horse machines :D

That said, I drive around in a big blue car so I do like strong colours. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Oh no, the poor people won't be able to know what direction the service is to based on the colour of the train :v

I think it's great, consolidating brands is kind of good. Tbh I always thought the commuter brand should be merged with DART, I mean it is Dublin transport. Saying "get the commuter" never worked as well as dart/arrow/luas and these convey rapid transit vs intercity trains which is good for uptake of say the maynooth lines, especially with eventual electrification. It makes the network feel more of a network, and it's not too hard for people to look at destination signs!

Oh no, the poor people won't be able to know what direction the service is to based on the colour of the train :v

I think it's great, consolidating brands is kind of good. Tbh I always thought the commuter brand should be merged with DART, I mean it is Dublin transport. Saying "get the commuter" never worked as well as dart/arrow/luas and these convey rapid transit vs intercity trains which is good for uptake of say the maynooth lines, especially with eventual electrification. It makes the network feel more of a network, and it's not too hard for people to look at destination signs!
    agree, i believe irish rail made a mistake getting rid of the "arrow" brand, it gave it some separation from the dart in that people knew it was a diesel and not to just assoom its destination

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

A very attractive livery. The solid green makes the DM look less rubbish or something.

Advertisement