Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese Rock & Metal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Seriously how can there be a Japanese metal thread and no mention of Sabbat?

Well, there's so many incredible bands that haven't really been mentioned yet either. ;) I admit that I've not really listened to Sabbat much (although I have listened to quite a bit of the English Sabbat, but that's an entirely different thread right there) and you know, if there's anything else this thread has ommitted please post!

Another band that I really liked recently was Nocturnal Bloodlust :D

I know there's a few fans around, so here's someting from the new Sigh album! Just a demo so still sounds pretty rough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm just gonna leave this Electronicore Song and a Half here :pac:

Today I will be mostly listening to (that Snare off beat at 40 seconds is sexy):

I'm liking Crossfaith, not too gone on One OK Rock though. Cormac... what did you think of the bands in this post btw?

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm liking Crossfaith, not too gone on One OK Rock though. Cormac... what did you think of the bands in this post btw?

Yeah One Ok Rock are more a kind of standard Foo Fighters / 30 Seconds to Mars / Fall Out Boy kind of rock but as a musician I really appreciate their composition style and technical ability :o

I liked some of the ones in that post, can't remember which as it was like 2am when I was listening to them, I had to stop opening youtube videos from this thread cause some were either NSFW or just not the sort of thing you want colleagues seeing on your screen, I'll have to revisit them when I have some free time and I'm not in work :pac::pac::pac:

I enjoyed Girugamesh a lot. Maximum the Hormone are really growing on me. D and some of the other Visual Kai stuff, not so much, I kind of feel it's only so-so without the elaborate videos IMHO, but I understand the look/videos is a big part of the style. Some of the more folk stuff is seriously fun though :)

Cormac... wrote: »
    D and some of the other Visual Kai stuff, not so much, I kind of feel it's only so-so without the elaborate videos IMHO, but I understand the look/videos is a big part of the style.

Oh no way, I really disagree there! :eek: Ignore the videos and you've still got absolutely incredible music, amazing songwriting and one of the best metal vocalists ever!

Those melodies :o oh just so lush! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The great thing about Japan is the relative open-mindedness compared to the west, even conventional idols releasing a full on power metal track

The great thing about Japan is the relative open-mindedness compared to the west, even conventional idols releasing a full on power metal track

It's pretty good, but I just don't like how overpowering the vocals are in the mix. You do have a good point though, regardless of my criticism :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Japanese experimental/noise rock.

Hey Lyaiera, you ever listen to The Pillows?

And on a different note, something that's fascinated me for quite a while is the whole vocaloid thing, synthesized voice softwear developed in Japan, and some clever folks have been doing some vocaloid metal that is surprisingly good. :D

Hey Lyaiera, you ever listen to The Pillows?

No. Any recommendations on where to start with their stuff?

Lyaiera wrote: »
    No. Any recommendations on where to start with their stuff?

You could try the FLCL soundtrack ;)

You could try the FLCL soundtrack ;)

I just put it on. I'm two minutes into the first track, The Pillows - Ride on Shooting Star. It really makes me think about how Japan has incorporated pop music into a huge amount of their music.

Just when you think things can't get any cheesier :D

• Advertisement

I do love Abingdon Boy's School, they're quite cheesy and poppy, but they've got some fantastic songs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Love this

wprathead wrote: »
    Love this

Versailles are just incredible :D One of my favourite bands EVER really! Awesome to see someone else post them :D

Some of their earlier stuff sounds better live than on the albums too ;)

Can't talk about Versaille without mentioning Hizaki

• Advertisement

Incredible guitarist alright, but did you ever hear Teru's band pre-Versailles, Aikaryu? Not the best quality, but:

HAHA love the video! Hilarious

It's a fantastic video alright :D

What do you think of Jupiter?

Speaking of... New Jupiter!

Loving Minus Jin-Say Orchestra (マイナス人生オーケストラ)

Saw them performing with Girugamesh a few months ago and decided to go see them myself. Unfortunately, their studio recordings are lacking, since they're not properly signed. Their lives are ridiculously fun, though.:D

New Sadie

Looks to be a bit more poppy than their previous album

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Trailer for the new Dir en grey album. A few clips of new songs included. I can't contain myself!

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Trailer for the new Dir en grey album. A few clips of new songs included. I can't contain myself!

Seriously looking forward to it myself too, been giddy after hearing Sustain the Untruth. What a song! :D

Yeah, it's a great song. I think they've forgotten to release the full version video for The Unraveling though :pac:. Only 27 days to go, have it preordered :D

• Advertisement

There's a lot of new albums coming out now that I'm super excited for, new D album :D And there'll be a new Jupiter in January too. New Sadie just out too, oh so much! :D

Oh and I forgotted, new Nocturnal Bloodlust album soon! Love their album art too :D

album_nocturnal%20bloodlust_the%20ominigod%20first%20press_00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

That album art looks amazing :eek:

That album art looks amazing :eek:

Most of their stuff is amazing, this is their previous album:

17520130422090205.jpg

Some singles:

35982-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-tk6a.jpg

35981-andltahrefhttpwwwjpo-uksl.jpg

tumblr_n6ewhktprA1sowrjto4_500.jpg

It wasn't always so cool, their first album looked like this:

7c752101a8e46a6c8fcde6544047245a.jpg

Ten second clips of the songs on the first half of their new album....not long enough! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Reiketsu wrote: »

Ten second clips of the songs on the first half of their new album....not long enough! haha

Also posted a lyric video for Kukoku no Kyouon

Thanks! Really enjoying that. Really cannot wait for this album to come out...not long now though :D

Also released today, the PV for 'Genesis' by Nocturnal Bloodlust :D

Wow that main riff in the NB track is sweet!
    I just wish the screaming was a bit more audible and a bit less guttural but thats personal preference i guess :o

• Advertisement

****ing hell that was awesome! :D Seriously excited for the new album ;)

Seriously excited for a lot of new stuff, have the new D and Sadie albums on the way, sis is chipping in to get them for me for xmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have Loudness been mentioned yet? Read through the thread and couldn't see anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Not your thing? Maybe try Intestine Baalism

This one deffo.
    Brilliant band.

Here, anyone remember the name of a Japanese metal band that did a cover of Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days"? Been bugging me for ages.

Can't say I know it Dan Solo :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

adox wrote: »
    Have Loudness been mentioned yet? Read through the thread and couldn't see anything....

I was a big loudness fan, well of their older stuff. This thread seems to be about new stuff though. I haven't heard any of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Can't say I know it Dan Solo :o
    It was Gotsu Totsu Kotsu. They're named after a famous samurai which helped my hunt!
    Anyway, it's the last song on 2013's Legend Of Shadow. Which is a fine album besides. :)

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    I was a big loudness fan, well of their older stuff. This thread seems to be about new stuff though. I haven't heard any of it.

Post some older stuff then! ;)
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It was Gotsu Totsu Kotsu. They're named after a famous samurai which helped my hunt!
    Anyway, it's the last song on 2013's Legend Of Shadow. Which is a fine album besides. :)

Oh awesome band! I've seriously been meaning to get their albums at some point ;)

Part two of ten second clips from Dir en grey's upcoming album "Arche".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

DELUHI / Frontier

Their awesome lead guitarist "Leda" One of the best in the world.

And he is totally not the same Leda "Kami of Guitar" that plays for Babymetal :cool:
    Seriousl though I've seen this guy live twice in London and he is fcking unreal

Mmm, new Dir En Grey and Nocturnal Bloodlust albums so close! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement