Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

There was 2 months over the summer where everything worked as it should, they've been having congestion problems since September of last year, so pardon me if I'm not optimistic in my posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Saw them upgrade their port in Amsterdam to 20GigE this morning during a maintenance window. That'll be good for some stuff at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

flamegrill wrote: »
    Saw them upgrade their port in Amsterdam to 20GigE this morning during a maintenance window. That'll be good for some stuff at least!

Where'd you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

We peer there, they announced it to the mailing list a few days ago for this morning. They are also doing a round of upgrades so I think they're on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

I have to admit I question the FTTH/FTTB endeavour.

On the one hand I'm excited about it happening - I'm particularly amazed that VF are going ahead as I think they have to be hugely forward-looking to see how to monetize it.

On the other hand, I'm sceptical about the capacity of the core infrastructure of not just the Tier 2/3 carriers, but the Tier 1 carriers also.

Obviously multiplexing plays a large role, but when you're rolling out Gigabit connections to end-users at this sort of scale I don't think that the end-user experience is going to be as amazing as people seem to be expecting. That being said this would be fairly standard for VF who have quite a history of over-promising under-delivering.

I think in the NBP submission somewhere they mentioned they're starting with 200mb/s down and 100mb/s up
    The upload excites me.
    dbit wrote: »
    I was passing through clonmel over the weekend and spotted the fiber hanging from the LV MV poles, I also saw one of the Catherine wheel looking tension device . Looks like ball is rolling in Clonmel . Move there ???? possibly .

Damn, I just moved. :(
    what do they look like though, just red cables?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I think in the NBP submission somewhere they mentioned they're starting with 200mb/s down and 100mb/s up
    The upload excites me.

Damn, I just moved. :(
    what do they look like though, just red cables?

black lines looped through nooses just under the power lines about 2-3 foot under the power runs , the catherine wheel looking thing is to take and release tension as required in high winds or whatever. Also on the same night the middle of the town had a maaaa-hoosive crane dropping something into the sub station. ( I am sure they are roughly 64 core fibre runs, shielded to death ) the catherine wheel yokies are not hard to spot but are fairly far apart on the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Do we have any indication as to when they're going to be starting? I know we may not see it for a few years yet but the sooner we get some idea of when we'll finally be moving off Eircom's archaic telephone line, the happier we'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Azhrei wrote: »
    Do we have any indication as to when they're going to be starting? I know we may not see it for a few years yet but the sooner we get some idea of when we'll finally be moving off Eircom's archaic telephone line, the happier we'll be.

Already started. You may or may not benefit, as it's not covering all homes in the Country , such as rural (as of yet).

Well, Cobh is on the list, so here's hoping. It'd be nice if there was some kind of road map available so we could see what's happening, where and when. Probably too much to ask for, but something would be nice.

dbit wrote: »
    black lines looped through nooses just under the power lines about 2-3 foot under the power runs , the catherine wheel looking thing is to take and release tension as required in high winds or whatever. Also on the same night the middle of the town had a maaaa-hoosive crane dropping something into the sub station. ( I am sure they are roughly 64 core fibre runs, shielded to death ) the catherine wheel yokies are not hard to spot but are fairly far apart on the lines.

Don't think I've seen anything like that here in Cobh :(
    Was hoping I'd be in the first phase here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen anything like that here in Cobh :(
    Was hoping I'd be in the first phase here.

Here's the list

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/media/vodafone-group-releases/2014/esb-vodafone-ireland.html

Cobh is on the first phase apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Mr. G wrote: »

How do you know which areas are in which phases?

Yeah, that's the type of thing I'd like to know. Awesome that we're in the first phase, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

it annoys the hell out of me that they are building fibre on top of fibre in some places :(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

fergus1001 wrote: »
    it annoys the hell out of me that they are building fibre on top of fibre in some places :(

Why does that annoy you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tullamore get in! 60MB can get slow... 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Why does that annoy you?

because there is already upc and eircom fibre in some of those towns listed its a waste having three different networks

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

fergus1001 wrote: »
    because there is already upc and eircom fibre in some of those towns listed its a waste having three different networks

It's not a waste. The money is to be made in the densely populated areas. Don't you think UPC would have rolled out fibre in rural areas already if there was money to be made there? They're not ignoring yous just to piss yous off or anything.

These private companies would go bankrupt if they rolled it out to the rural parts first. You should consider yourselves lucky that you're actually getting FTTH eventually because very few countries are getting a 100% fibre rollout.

Take a look at this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92848782&postcount=98

Around 37% of our population lives in rural areas, which is quite high. Countries with faster average speeds tend to have higher population densities, more apartments and less rural dwellings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's not a waste. The money is to be made in the densely populated areas. Don't you think UPC would have rolled out fibre in rural areas already if there was money to be made there? They're not ignoring yous just to piss yous off or anything.

These private companies would go bankrupt if they rolled it out to the rural parts first. You should consider yourselves lucky that you're actually getting FTTH eventually because very few countries are getting a 100% fibre rollout.

Take a look at this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92848782&postcount=98

Around 37% of our population lives in rural areas, which is quite high. Countries with faster average speeds tend to have higher population densities, more apartments and less rural dwellings.

All that's missing in that tome of drivel is the word cultchie. Shur shouldn't we all be around de turf fire reading Peig and leave that new fangled tinternet to dem lads in de big smoke. Turn up de wireless there Biddy never mind churning that milk.

jca wrote: »
    All that's missing in that tome of drivel is the word cultchie. Shur shouldn't we all be around de turf fire reading Peig and leave that new fangled tinternet to dem lads in de big smoke. Turn up de wireless there Biddy never mind churning that milk.

You really think it'd be wise for any company to invest all that money in a new network where customers are few and far between? That it doesn't make business sense to build the network first in the population-heavy areas, getting as many customers and therefore profits as possible so you can then push outwards? The ESB and Vodafone aren't even sure how many people in urban areas they'll get, but they should just start in rural areas where they might get one customer every few houses?

No, you're right, clearly it's the ESB picking on those rural customers they hate so much, and anyone defending the decision as business sense is an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Rural broadband really does need subsidies if it's something we consider important enough to do right.

What was worrying here was that the market on the 2000s was so dysfunctional that urban broadband was bad during a massive economic boom. That really doesn't paint ComReg and the Government of that era in a very good light at all.

Azhrei wrote: »
    You really think it'd be wise for any company to invest all that money in a new network where customers are few and far between? That it doesn't make business sense to build the network first in the population-heavy areas, getting as many customers and therefore profits as possible so you can then push outwards? The ESB and Vodafone aren't even sure how many people in urban areas they'll get, but they should just start in rural areas where they might get one customer every few houses?

No, you're right, clearly it's the ESB picking on those rural customers they hate so much, and anyone defending the decision as business sense is an idiot.

Did you read my post? Nowhere in my post did I say that rural people were to be looked after first. Some posters here think that Ireland is a deserted wasteland outside the pale and the cultchies should be left on dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did you read my post? Nowhere in my post did I say that rural people were to be looked after first. Some posters here think that Ireland is a deserted wasteland outside the pale and the cultchies should be left on dial up.

Oh there are others who have expressed the view that the culchies should up sticks and move to urban areas if they want decent broadband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

From the Irish Times yesterday.....

Another striking trend, Mr Haase said, was that affluence was much more likely to be distributed across rural areas in Northern Ireland.
    People with high levels of education, prestigious occupations and a high social-class position appeared to be able to live in more rural areas in the North and commute to work in an urban centre.
    In the Republic, however, rural or peripheral areas were much more likely to suffer from the extremes of deprivation, such as falling populations, poor education levels and high unemployment.
    “The hinterland in the North is better connected to the main population centres,” he said, “so you can afford to have a concentration of jobs or services in a few urban areas, while keeping it accessible for the rest.
    “That link is broken in the South. There are vast areas which are not just rural, but deprived as well. They don’t have the kind of connections to job opportunities, career prospects or essential services.
    “With the closure of banks, post offices and Garda stations, you have a spiral effect. The more it happens, the less they become attractive or sustainable places to live.”
    Mr Haase added: “You are seeing the effects of 30 or 40 years of migration. If you have people leaving, there is a thinning out of the working-age population, or a brain drain.”

More here ....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/north-better-off-than-republic-study-finds-1.2020804

I would wonder if that's partly down to planning differences though?

The Republic creates a lot of rural scatter development without density of villages and towns. That makes sustaining anything viable very difficult.

You've also got an issue where a large area of rural Ireland in the West is very, very poor land albeit very spectacular so agricultural output would be much lower than NI.

I wonder if you compared NI to the Southeast, South Midlands or to County Cork would you get a more valid comparison.

All of the poorer parts of Ulster landwise were basically not taken into NI because of how partition happened : wealthy landowners didn't really exist in Donegal and Western Fermanagh and Western Rural Derry are sort of borderline.

Connections to urban centres is easier in NI because its just a lot more compact too. You can't really compare it to some of the more remote parts of the west in terms of access to urban centres.

A comparison between Western Ireland and the Scottish Highlands would be more useful tbh.

I would be very concerned about 30% of employment being state funded in NI. That's not sustainable as I don't see an appetite in Britain to subsidise to that level and waining interest in NI. That needs to be urgently addressed or they could be facing major issues down the line.

I agree though there's been exceptionally unbalanced regional development here. They basically piled all the investment into Dublin while scattering investment in non-Dublin to the four winds. We should have a smaller, more sustainable Dublin, a bigger Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford serving as regional hubs.

I find in Irish politics it's like you've Dublin and "Down the Country" and Cork, Limerick and Galway are sort of put into the same notional category as small towns. Any suggestion of building cities as hubs gets met with severe GAA shirt mentality where they cannot see how Cork and Limerick Cities actually benefit Kerry, Tipp and rural Waterford etc etc

Watch as the FTTH turns into the all Ireland hurling league!

Chucky our Gerry what about ye ????

Oh there are others who have expressed the view that the culchies should up sticks and move to urban areas if they want decent broadband :)

The land Tadgh the land. Tadgh has to take care of the land....... No urban life for Tadgh.

The land Tadgh the land. Tadgh has to take care of the land....... No urban life for Tadgh.

Ill Dance with the Tinker , and did you eat the mate out of me samwidges Eircom ?

Mr. G wrote: »

Sorry, I meant the first phase of the first phase, :p
    I haven't seen any dangly cables since I've moved here, probably coming toward the end of 2015 rather than Clonmel which looks like it'll be in the first few months.

• Advertisement

Major major differences:

Population density Republic of Ireland : 65 per km2
    Population density Northern Ireland : 133 people per km2

Co Dublin : 1380.8 / km2
    Population Density Connacht: 30.5 /km2

Cities:

Dublin: 4,588/km2
    Cork: 3,194.18/km2

Other cities in ROI: Unknown density (can't get area easily)

You can see though why rolling out FTTH is a LOT more profitable and sustainable in somewhere with 3000-4500 people per sq km vs somewhere with 19 (Leitrim)

Advertisement