Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carl Froch vs George Groves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I enjoyed ringside. Groves was clearly trying to rise froch and make him hâte him. I feel this is 1year or 2 fights to soon for groves. But id love to see him beat froch. And finish this overrated plodder.

Bronze at the World amateur Championships, WBC,WBA,IBF,British,Commonwealth & English titles as a pro, wins over Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, , Lucien Bute, Mikkel Kessler, Glen Johnson, Brian Magee, Yusaf Mack, Robin Reid, ranked #1 by boxrecs list of active Super-Middleweight, ranked #1 challenger by Ring magazine to champion Andre Ward, and likely just outside of their p4p list.

That's some spectacular achievement for an overrated plodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

First three minutes and the last five is the Froch-Groves stuff

Groves needs to work on his trash talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Big Ears wrote: »
    Bronze at the World amateur Championships, WBC,WBA,IBF,British,Commonwealth & English titles as a pro, wins over Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, , Lucien Bute, Mikkel Kessler, Glen Johnson, Brian Magee, Yusaf Mack, Robin Reid, ranked #1 by boxrecs list of active Super-Middleweight, ranked #1 challenger by Ring magazine to champion Andre Ward, and likely just outside of their p4p list.

That's some spectacular achievement for an overrated plodder.

I know all this. I Also think he is overrated. Schooled by taylor and got Lucky. Beat by dirrell in 90% of sane peoples eyes. Beat by kessler. Beat by ward. Strugged badly against a past it Johnson. He has no choice but to slug. Because Any skilled boxer béats him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I thought Groves came across as far too forced and desperate last night on Ringside. Froch was very calm and poised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

I know all this. I Also think he is overrated. Schooled by taylor and got Lucky. Beat by dirrell in 90% of sane peoples eyes. Beat by kessler. Beat by ward. Strugged badly against a past it Johnson. He has no choice but to slug. Because Any skilled boxer béats him.

Agree with all this, eventually he's going to have to fight Ward. His best win came against Bute, I thought Bute was going to have it easy with him.

Lucky punch maybe? I dunno. But if they where to have a rematch I'd fancy Bute to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Agree with all this, eventually he's going to have to fight Ward. His best win came against Bute, I thought Bute was going to have it easy with him.

Lucky punch maybe? I dunno. But if they where to have a rematch I'd fancy Bute to take it.

Lucky punch? He destroyed Bute from start to finish. Bute did well to hang around until the 5th. Give him credit where its due.

Groves was life a 5year old with the insults last night. Asking Froch if he was going to cry, muppet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It's a strange one. Froch deserves all the credit he gets but at the same time he's not as good as his legacy suggests, if that makes sense. He has got the most and more out of his career.

I am not a big fan of Froch, but he is good. Not great to watch, but effective. Nothing special in my eyes. I am rooting for Groves. I would love to see DeGale and Froch meet. I am one who thinks DeGale beats Froch every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Schooled ?, sure he lost a lot of the early rounds but come the end he was only losing a close split decision (all judges 106-102, but 2 had Taylor up), and got lucky ?.....please elaborate.

I scored Dirrell a one point winner over him, however to be fair Dirrell should have been disqualified for holding from about as early as the 8th. Now you could say maybe he'd have desisted if the referee took a point earlier (he had been warning him consistently the whole fight), but imo Dirrell should of got DQ'd, as it was one of the worst cases I've ever seen, so imo the scores become immaterial. But even if you want to forget Dirrell's shameful behaviour and just take the fight as scored, Froch fought an insanely talented fighter and made it very, very close. Dirrell imo is one of the greatest wastes of talent in modern boxing, there was even a certain point in time where I feel he may have got the better of Ward. Not now though.

Beat (deservedly imo) in a close fight by Kessler, who's a terrific fighter and he avenged this loss. No shame in that.
    Johnson was certainly past his prime, but he was coming off stoppage wins over Yusaf Mack and Allan Green and a close points loss to Tavoris Cloud, he still had something left at that stage.
    Beat by Ward ?, and which fighter under 175 lbs wouldn't of been beaten by Ward ?, the guy is arguably the best fighter in the sport, so no shame there again.

Jean Pascal, Jermain taylor, Mikkell Kessler, Andre Dirrell (whether you agree with the decision or not), Lucian Bute, these are all tremendously skilled fighters and yet Froch has managed to do enough to beat them. That puts a flaw in the theory of any skilled fighter beats him, because only 2 have, and 1 of those lost a rematch. So he's not as good as Ward.....big whoop, Ward is a very special fighter, it doesn't mean Froch isn't a fantastic fighter aswell.
    His best win came against Bute, I thought Bute was going to have it easy with him.

and in which round did Froch land this lucky punch ?, because he battered him with heavy shotr for pretty much the whole fight !
    Bute's team also had the option of a rematch which they declined to take, why do you think that is ?, I can't imagine anyone who's seen the first fight would pick Bute in a rematch, it just seems so far removed from logic.

Froch is more skilled than he's given credit for (Hence the Bronze at the World's), he's got a good jab and a very good sense of timing. Although he is a little slow, and he can be quite predictable with his shots. While technically he's certainly not a special fighter, I believe his intangibles make him one, he has a granite chin, he's exceptionally determined, he doesn't believe he can be beaten (even to the last second), able to draw fighters into a tear up when necessary and to add to this he also has good power and excellent stamina. So overall imo he's a top top fighter, and yes the intangibles have played a bigger role than they usually do with other fighters to achieve this but what's wrong with that ?
    What's wrong with a fighter who's dedicated himself to the sport so intensely, that believes in himself so strongly having some success ?

walshb wrote: »
    I thought Groves came across as far too forced and desperate last night on Ringside. Froch was very calm and poised.

I would agree with that in the most part, but Froch seemed to be seething, certainly not calm, just forcing himself not to errupt (but didn't seem far from it).
    I've become fed up of Froch calling himself a warrior, but in the ring I still couldn't get enough of him, the man comes to fight and he'll fight anyone, home or away. That is truly rare in modern day boxing and he should be commended for that, as more fighters like him and the sport would be better off.

• Advertisement

I agree with Big, both the Taylor and Dirrell fights were close, and both are very very good boxers. Taylor did beat Hopkins twice we must remember. Carl got the KO against Taylor, so he did the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Sick of Froch at this stage to be honest, warrior this, warrior that, jesus it gets boring.

Id like Groves to win although I don't think he can, haven't seen anything from George yet to even remotely suggest he can beat Froch.

I'm surprised George got under his skin the way he did, I loved it to be honest. Carl was so visibly pissed off which surprised me as this should be a routine defense for Froch.

Don't think Froch was pissed off. That's pretty much the way he acts in the lead up to all of his fights, Kessler excluded. It was just Groves' weak trash talk that made the whole thing seem awkward. Froch handled it fairly well and left Groves looking like a tool. In my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Henno30 wrote: »
    Don't think Froch was pissed off. That's pretty much the way he acts in the lead up to all of his fights, Kessler excluded. It was just Groves' weak trash talk that made the whole thing seem awkward. Froch handled it fairly well and left Groves looking like a tool. In my opinion anyway.

Maybe so, I personally thought Froch was annoyed but either way it wont matter a bit IMO.

Maybe so, I personally thought Froch was annoyed but either way it wont matter a bit IMO.

Think he was just doing his usual "I won't respond to you because I'm better than this" bit. Did that in pretty much every episode of th super six series. Was pretty funny when Ward did more or less the exact same thing to him as he finally met someone even more smug than himself :D

I like both of them though, smug as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

its all show business, nothing else really.

Myself and my brother where discussing this earlier as he's a huge Froch fan and i quite like Groves.

I think what Groves is trying to do is gain maybe an extra percent of an advantage over Froch. Just 1 or 2 percent, nothing huge or dramatic. If he can make Froch lose his cool for just a few moments in the fight, then that, i reckon Groves thinks, will win him the fight.

I think people often underestimate the parity in fighters. When world champions and other top level fighters collide, the difference between winning and losing is very minor. As i said earlier, its the matter of small percentages. So anything Groves can do to hopefully give him a slight edge, mentally, then he's going to take it, and quite frankly, he'd be stupid not to.

I like Froch, he's a mans man, and a fighters fighter. He doesnt hide in the ring, and certainly doesnt dodge any opponents. But i do have this sneaking feeling that he's going to do a Nigel Benn vs Eubank thing here, and just get caught up in the moment. With the pure intent of knocking Groves out he could find himself chasing Groves around and then finally finding himself in the 11th round, but behind by 3. It can easily happen. Froch will have to be mentally strong to not get caught up in the emotion of the fight.

There's also the sparring story. I think we all knew that Froch dropped Groves a few years, granted Groves was only in his teens at the time, but there's no denying the fact it happened. That i would expect to give Froch a massive confidence boost heading into this showdown. But Groves said something last night that only 2 days after getting dropped he "wrecked" Carl. When Froch heard this the first line out of his head was, "well, Sparring doesnt mean anything". So did Groves beat Froch up after getting dropped? I dont know, but its got me thinking.

There's also this thing in my mind. Whenever you spar with someone you're better than, you never feel intimated by them, but when you get smoked by someone, you naturally think twice about getting in the ring with them again, yet Groves, who Froch has dropped, is chomping at the bit to get in with Carl again.

So either Groves is the most mentally strong boxer on the planet, or he actually did do ok in the sparring sessions he's had with Froch.

Either wa y. Its going to be a very interesting fight, and i for one cannot wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

As usual I've changed my thoughts on how I see this fight panning out as it gets closer.

When it was first announced I thought it was a disappointing step back for Froch. An under-experienced opponent at a time when he's been fighting the best of the division. Just when his career peaked he had to waste valuable time with a mandatory defence that was going to be a steamrolling formality.

I haven't been swayed by the build-up chatter between the two because, quite simply, I haven't really been listening. At this stage we already know what Froch is going to say, so there's nothing to be gleaned there. And as nice a bloke as Groves seems, the marketing aspect doesn't sit well with him. He becomes quite wooden when he is expected to turn on the charm.

While this may well be an 'interesting' fight, I have a feeling it won't be an entertaining one. Andre Dirrell was mentioned earlier in the thread as somebody that gave Froch real difficulty and I can see Groves using him as inspiration. In terms of styles Groves used similar tactics against Degale and will probably adopt the same approach here. We may well see Groves in Kenyan long-distance mode, Froch plodding after him, low compubox punch stats and an all-round frustrating viewing experience.

I like Froch, he's a mans man, and a fighters fighter. He doesnt hide in the ring, and certainly doesnt dodge any opponents. D

He can't hide, he hasn't got the foot speed:)

I think folks get too caught up in giving Froch too much credit for obvious and natural "stuff."

The super 6 was a tournament that several men signed up to fight in, there was not going to be dodging in that one. Apart from the super 6 Carl has fought decent men, but nothing exceptional, and none that would be worth dodging!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The only exceptional fighter Froch has fought was Andre Ward. If Groves chin holds up I expect him to be competitive

wadacrack wrote: »
    The only exceptional fighter Froch has fought was Andre Ward. If Groves chin holds up I expect him to be competitive

you dont rate Kessler?

granted i think he's past his prime, but i think Kessler was excellent. In their first fight he was brilliant, and it wasnt near as close as Froch would have you believe.

Ward absolutely mullered him, but there's no shame in that. Ward is head and shoulders above everybody else in that division (even though the Ring rankings have him at #5 :eek:)

Ward absolutely mullered him, but there's no shame in that. Ward is head and shoulders above everybody else in that division (even though the Ring rankings have him at #5 :eek:)

I disagree. He beat him, but reading this it sounds like PBF-Gatti fight!:confused:

Are you talking about Ward mullering Kessler or Ward mullering Froch?

Ring have him as champion, and at 2 on p4p list!

• Advertisement

I disagree. He beat him, but reading this it sounds like PBF-Gatti fight!:confused:

Are you talking about Ward mullering Kessler or Ward mullering Froch?

Ring have him as champion, and at 2 on p4p list!

Ward mullering Froch, i didnt give Froch a single round, and neither did my Froch obsessed brother.

Ring have him at #1? oh wait, it was Boxrec, thats right, Boxrec. my bad

Ward mullering Froch, i didnt give Froch a single round, and neither did my Froch obsessed brother.

Ring have him at #1? oh wait, it was Boxrec, thats right, Boxrec. my bad

Fair enough, but several reds were very competitive. It wasn't a dominating victory. Clear, but not as you suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

The interest in this fight demonstrates the influence of sky sports marketing. I'm not sure why anyone would be majorly interested in this fight. Froch is the most overrated fighter in boxing today.

If I ever see Froch on a P4P list then I know the person rating him is clueless about boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Enjoyed the interview on Sky Sports. Groves is entertaining if nothing else.

Whatever anybody thinks about Froch ( I think he is a good fighter ), he has fought and won at a much higher level than Groves and I expect Carl to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Groves is an absolute c*ck for carrying on like that in the interview and I hope Froch smashes him to pieces for it.

Have always liked watching Froch (met him once and hes a smashing fella). He isn't the most naturally talented boxer out there but he always gives 100% and never leaves anything behind, reminds me of Collins in this regard a little bit, overachieving with pure effort and balls of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bernard Hopkins would agree with Groves carry on. It's obvious what Groves is at. I think he has actually got to Froch a bit. Lets see if boxing skills are as good as his ability to antagonise.

I have a feeling Groves might have the style to cause Froch a few problems, but i expect Froch to win out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Fair enough, but several reds were very competitive. It wasn't a dominating victory. Clear, but not as you suggested.

The 118-110 card was the fairest card. 115-113 was an insult, Ward was in complete control for the whole fight. Also he injured his hand early on, Ward is on a different planet to Froch.

Johner wrote: »
    The 118-110 card was the fairest card. 115-113 was an insult, Ward was in complete control for the whole fight. Also he injured his hand early on, Ward is on a different planet to Froch.

No problem with that score card. Froch was not dominated or badly beaten up. Just a step behind for most of the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

The only way I can see Groves beat Froch is adopt a game plan similar to Dirrell/Taylor & his gameplan against DeGale. Hit & move let Froch come looking for him & try make him miss/look clumsy in front of the judges.

However, it's a risky plan to try pull of for 12 rounds boxing on the back foot & getting 2 judges to give you the decision against The Champ.

I am going to have a little bet on Groves by decision at 11/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

groves is a nutter! i hope froch beats him silly!! so frustrating he done nothing in boxing!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Cold Chocolate

I'd like Groves to win but just can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

It's my opinion that Groves split with Booth as he stopped listening to him. Groves has an ego (which was built by Booth) and I think he forced the fight rather than his team had any confidence in him winning.

Groves thinks he will win, I have no doubt about that and he thinks he is a master of mind games. I think it's working to a degree- Froch looks angry to me.

Froch underestimes Groves and he needs to be careful as I think Groves has the greater power. His downfall though is that Froch won't quit or lose his spirt and his chin is rock solid. Groves needs to avoid Froch for the whole fight and while I think is is very underrated by all, logic would suggest he won't keep froch off him (unless he hurts him) maybe Groves has a better chin than I gave him credit for but I doubt it.

Froch by late Ko with Groves ahead on points at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭megadodge

fsfg wrote: »
    It's my opinion that Groves split with Booth as he stopped listening to him. Groves has an ego (which was built by Booth) and I think he forced the fight rather than his team had any confidence in him winning.

Groves thinks he will win, I have no doubt about that and he thinks he is a master of mind games. I think it's working to a degree- Froch looks angry to me.

Froch underestimes Groves and he needs to be careful as I think Groves has the greater power. His downfall though is that Froch won't quit or lose his spirt and his chin is rock solid. Groves needs to avoid Froch for the whole fight and while I think is is very underrated by all, logic would suggest he won't keep froch off him (unless he hurts him) maybe Groves has a better chin than I gave him credit for but I doubt it.

Froch by late Ko with Groves ahead on points at the time.

That's a pretty good summation of the whole situation.

I already mentioned that I think Groves will give him problems, and while from a betting perspective the late stoppage for Froch is probably the best bet, a small wager on Groves on pts is certainly a good value bet IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Brad Goodman

Groves looks a nice boxer with decent pop but he has had 19 fights and a quick look at names and only James DeGale, Paul Smith and Glen Johnson's names stand out. DeGale and Smith are only European level (DeGale could push on but I'm doubtful) and Johnson, while it was a good win, is completely washed up now. Therefore, unless Froch has faded badly in the past few months, which is doubtful since he's looked great in his last 2 fights, I think he jumps all over Groves early and smashes him inside of of 5 rounds. I remember Kenny Anderson had Groves all over the shop on a numerous occasions in their fight. Kenny Anderson! I just can't see Groves' chin holding up for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Groves looks a nice boxer with decent pop but he has had 19 fights and a quick look at names and only James DeGale, Paul Smith and Glen Johnson's names stand out. DeGale and Smith are only European level (DeGale could push on but I'm doubtful) and Johnson, while it was a good win, is completely washed up now. Therefore, unless Froch has faded badly in the past few months, which is doubtful since he's looked great in his last 2 fights, I think he jumps all over Groves early and smashes him inside of of 5 rounds. I remember Kenny Anderson had Groves all over the shop on a numerous occasions in their fight. Kenny Anderson! I just can't see Groves' chin holding up for long.
    Froch just about beat Johnson back in 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I would love Groves to win this but sadly I think it is coming to soon in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The undercard seems to be kicking off at 6:30pm but no mention of what time the main event is scheduled for. Anybody know, even a ball park figure would do? Cheers.

tunguska wrote: »
    The undercard seems to be kicking off at 6:30pm but no mention of what time the main event is scheduled for. Anybody know, even a ball park figure would do? Cheers.

Guessing the main event would be around half 10. Working till 9 so debating whether or not to get it in

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Don't you just love when there is a needle between 2 boxers in a title fight. It definitely adds an extra dimension to the whole theatrics and there is serious bad blood between these two. I actually think that Groves has managed to really get under the skin of Froch so much so that it might actually change how he would normally approach this fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

good interview with Paddy Fitzpatrick

Good interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Realistically, Groves doesn't stand a chance in hell. His only real fight to date was against DeGale who I don't rate much, he fought to a very good gameplan but was still less than convincing. Since then the standard of boxer he's fought has done little to show he's ready for a fight with Froch.

A big blow was leaving Booth aswell, he might have stood a slim chance with booth in his corner as anyone who knows anything in this sport knows Booth is a master of training his boxers to execute game plans. The moment they split, his chances evaporated. You could argue the point he might catch him with a lucky solid but even then Froch is known for his granite chin!

I'm going for a 6-7 round stoppage for Froch. Groves might light up the first one or two rounds just to get everyone's blood pumping but once Froch starts to pin him to the ropes, which I predict happening, then it'll only be a matter of time before the ref steps in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fpllad

I'm for George Groves, seems more confident, nearly made Froch cry....

fpllad wrote: »
    I'm for George Groves, seems more confident, nearly made Froch cry....

Yea, he really didnt.

I agree with jayod30 ko around 6 to 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just saw an update that Andy Lee has replaced Martin Murray on the undercard - now PPV is definitely required!

• Advertisement

heart says Groves, but my head says Froch.

I just cant see where Groves can beat Froch over 36 minutes, i just cant.

ive just watched his 'behind the ropes' special on sky and his training seems lacklustre, or slow. Maybe im reading into it wrong, but it just doesnt fill me with much confidence.

I still cant wait for it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

ive just watched his 'behind the ropes' special on sky and his training seems lacklustre, or slow. Maybe im reading into it wrong, but it just doesnt fill me with much confidence.

I just caught a few minutes of that show this morning and it did seem very lifeless. He was just wandering around the gym in a hoodie and then headed off to buy a pork chop. It didn't inspire confidence. Maybe it's all part of the mystique and when the cameras are gone he's training like a mad man?
    Is there any word on who his sparring partners are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

IMO this is a clear Froch win, Groves won't even cum close maybe a good couple early rounds but that's it, possible 6/7 ko.
    The job Sky and the commentators have done marketing this fight to the casual boxing fan has been brilliant, so much waffle nd hyping up Groves, actually making it seem it's a close fight nd worthy of PPV. This was never a close fight or worthy of PPV, just good work by Hearn nd Sky hyping it.
    I remember even thinking Haye would beat Klitchko in the build up to that fight, what was I thinking brainwashed by Sky's spoofing but not again:)
    Good to see Andy Lee fighting hopefully he impresses I think he's the best from barker / macklin / Murray and is very likeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The press conference is cringe-worthy stuff from both of these guys, so awkward and childish. Hopefully they can knock each other out!

Froch was losing his cool haha . U could see him going white in the face with temper

• Advertisement
Advertisement