Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 craftynici

nrsire wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I registered with Sabis Careers and got sent an application to fill and I sent it back and receipt was acknowledged. I'm wondering what happens from here? Is a phone interview next or if I'm not a successful candidate I hear back nothing? On the Sabis Careers website the status for one of the jobs I applied for is "in progress" does this mean anything?

Thank you!

Hi!

Once you have applied the application form, the recruitment agents in SABIS will look through it and then an email will be sent with regards to a telephone interview. This process could take up to a few weeks so don't worry :) The "in process" status justs means that they are looking at your application currently. There could be a large number of applicants so don't worry if you don't hear back from them straight away.

Best of luck with your application :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 nrsire

craftynici wrote: »
    Hi!

Once you have applied the application form, the recruitment agents in SABIS will look through it and then an email will be sent with regards to a telephone interview. This process could take up to a few weeks so don't worry :) The "in process" status justs means that they are looking at your application currently. There could be a large number of applicants so don't worry if you don't hear back from them straight away.

Best of luck with your application :)

Thank you friendly helpful person! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I was told by recruiter that ADEC only recruit women for primary. If you are a fella you have to do secondary English.
    Yeah that would be about right as they are doing a feminisation scheme in primary schools. However, I know of primary teachers that are teaching secondary, and vise versa

Can someone comment on this? I did an interview with ADEC last week and nothing was mentioned that I might be teaching secondary (I'm a primary teacher).

Also, in the briefing, the representative who spoke with us said that men teach in boys' schools, and women in eitther mixed or girls' schools.

I'll email the recruiter tomorrow but if it turns out that I may have to teach secondary, I'm not going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Leapfrog11

Don't think this is true, they did try to hire only female teachers last year but they realised they wouldn't have enough teachers so they changed their policy back.

But yes kraggy, you could end up in secondary, you won't find out until you get there.

• Advertisement

But the job was advertised as a primary job by my recruiter Teachanywhere.com. I even told them when discussing which jobs that I wanted primary.

Surely they can't falsely advertise knowing that I could be placed in a secondary by ADEC?

Thanks for the reply.

Leapfrog11 wrote: »
    But yes kraggy, you could end up in secondary, you won't find out until you get there.
    Don't think this is true, they did try to hire only female teachers last year but they realised they wouldn't have enough teachers so they changed their policy back.

I see your previous posts predominantly talk about Sabis. Is that what you have in mind when you posted? ADEC is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

EB1992 wrote: »
    Its safe like so you'll be fine. If your in Ruwais the conditions are grand for girls...they live in a brand new single fully furnished apartment in a womans only people with security so overly protected. The lads live in houses, 3 per house. The houses are old enough, need to be fixed up to be honest but their not the end of the world. The salary is grand, not the best but when you add in the bills and all being paid then its grand. Plus its a cheap enough place to live so your salary gets you a long way. Over all its not the best place in the world but its not the worst. If I could go back in time and know what I know now about Ruwais and where I'd be living then I'd still come again. Its basically what you make it, you can come to Ruwais and have a class time, epic weekends or you can come and be miserable. . . could always come and leave if your not happy too, always an option!

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering what the actual salary is? Does it vary according to your experience etc??

I know adec is different. Ring Anne Marie in the morning but from my friends who've already gone with adec, I know they have been placed anywhere from kindergarten to secondary. Why is it you won't do secondary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

M442 wrote: »
    Hey,
    The pay is around 1500 euro a month (in UAE). Return flights are covered, so is accommodation and nearly all your bills. If you finish after the first year you will leave with June, July and Augusts salary and 3 weeks extra pay so altogether around 5000 euro, as well as what you have saved during the year. If you stay two years there is another bonus (in UAE anyway).
    That said I know some people here that are flat broke!!! The lifestyle out here is very good, out all the time, holidays etc, it all adds up. You will be able to save but you have to keep that in mind when you're here and try not spend it all (which is easily done). Some people say you can't save at all out here but that's not true, I know some people have saved a few grand already.
    As regards coming out here on your own as a female I wouldn't worry at all. Most of my school came on their own. It has its downsides, but all in all I think its worth it!
    Hope this helps.

Do they always pay the €5000 bonus or have you heard or any cases where it was withheld?
    what kind of bonus do you get if you stay on for another year?
    I thought that the pay would be a lot better to be honest.

Also what are the classes and schools like over there?

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Do they always pay the €5000 bonus or have you heard or any cases where it was withheld?
    what kind of bonus do you get if you stay on for another year?
    I thought that the pay would be a lot better to be honest.

Also what are the classes and schools like over there?

I believe in the first year of teaching with Sabis, at the end of term, you receive payments for June, July, and August along with 3 weeks for the year you worked. This in total comes to approximately €5,000.

However, if you decide to stay on for another year, I have heard you receive salary for June, July, and August. Once you have returned you receive the bonus of €5000.

Can't help you with regards to the types of classes and schools unfortunately :( Will be moving over there in August so fingers crossed the schools and classes are okay :D

I know adec is different. Ring Anne Marie in the morning but from my friends who've already gone with adec, I know they have been placed anywhere from kindergarten to secondary. Why is it you won't do secondary?

Because I'm a qualified primary teacher! I'm not qualified to teach English at secondary level.

I'm qualified to teach Maths, English, Science etc. at primary level. Teaching only English wouldn't be good on my cv for looking for primary jobs back here.

Are you sure your friends aren't teaching what they're trained to teach i.e. primary teachers working in primary, secondary in secondray.

How do you know Anne Marie? Are you from the recruiting agency?

Yes I'm absolutely sure. I have friends that are primary teachers over here and are in secondary over there. From what I've heard the teaching over there is nothing like what you've been trained in so they don't mind where they are. If you're going with adec you have to be relaxed about where you're going to end up. I know they ask you what level you would like in your interview but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

If it was a case that they just hadn't informed us, that would be one thing. But to advertise it as a primary job when it mightn't be, is quite another thing.

However, I'm not going to jump the gun just yet. I'll ring them tomorrow. It might be that it's different this year and that they are recruiting primary teachers for primary schools and secondary teachers for secondary schools.

I still can't fathom why they'd put someone with an English teaching qualification in a primary school to teach Maths and Science as well as just English. They're not qualified. Whereas, at least a primary teacher can speak English so if they need to teach English in secondary, it's not as mad a notion as the reverse.

PS: I know about the geographical thing. We could be put in any town in the emirate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

Has anyone heard from their school yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

I know this is probably my hundredth time asking this but has anyone heard anything about a face to face interview. I was told there would be face to face interviews at the end of this month but I haven't heard anything. However the recruiters did ask me on Saturday to contact my references

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kirstk86

eoinmjmac wrote: »

I still havent heard about my application yet... I was speaking to a few girls and they mentioned they hadnt being approached by there schools yet either!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kirstk86

I know this is probably my hundredth time asking this but has anyone heard anything about a face to face interview. I was told there would be face to face interviews at the end of this month but I haven't heard anything. However the recruiters did ask me on Saturday to contact my references

I only done a skype interview last week so they might just do that with you aswell.

Haven't heard anything myself either. Was chatting to a friend who knows someone over in Dubai teaching and she said that we won't hear about the school until June or July....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

Just got the email there. Going to Sharjah .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 OrlaMurf

Just wondering had anybody been offered Ruwais UAE for Sabis starting in August this year?? Got offered that today..

Just got the email there. Going to Sharjah .

Just got an email myself.....heading to Khalifa City :) Best of luck in Sharjah :D

Anyone else heading to Khalifa City?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Niamh91

Just got the email today, I am going to Muscat, Oman. Did anybody else get there? Just know one person that got there so far would be great to hear from any others:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shjlmy22

Hi, I am just wondering is there anyone going to Sharjah teaching? Just got my email confirmation there. Or if anyone has any information about the place? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭mcgettigan16

OrlaMurf wrote: »
    Just wondering had anybody been offered Ruwais UAE for Sabis starting in August this year?? Got offered that today..

Hi, Me and my girlfriend are going to Ruwais in August. Are you going to accept the offer? We have already signed the contract :)

Yeah I signed the contract at the interview!! Doesn't look like there's much there, but shur its only 2 hours away from Abu Dhabi once there's a good of us we'll make the most of it! I think they said at the interview that you get more money there too? I could be making that up but I'm nearly sure they said that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭mcgettigan16

Yeah not much there but we will make our own craic! I've been in touch with an Irish girl who is there at the moment so I've got plenty of info from her! The school puts on a bus to Abu Dhabi every weekend! I don't think we make more money but we do get a bigger lump sum at the end than the other schools if we stay for a 2nd year. Add me on Facebook Mark McGettigan, my profile pic is me and a black guy! I'll get my girlfriend to add ya then as well :)

Jesus thats unreal!! I was wondering how we were going to get around alright, was contemplating buying a car and all ha! Ill add you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Niamh91

shjlmy22 wrote: »
    Hi, I am just wondering is there anyone going to Sharjah teaching? Just got my email confirmation there. Or if anyone has any information about the place? Thanks :)

Hia, 4 of my friends got Sharjah there is meant to be a big enough group of Iirhs heading there if that helps at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 theluckyirish

Niamh91 wrote: »
    Just got the email today, I am going to Muscat, Oman. Did anybody else get there? Just know one person that got there so far would be great to hear from any others:)

Hiya, I just got an e-mail today from the ISC confirming that my location is in Muscat, Omen. Have you heard from the school yet? :):):)

Advertisement