Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

284541.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

peasant goes electric & Mega bling :D

For over two years now, I've been circling around a certain range of watches out of Schramberg in the black forest.

284563.JPG

I liked the design, but I don't really want a quartz watch, I'm kinda done with digital and pressing buttons (got that out of my system way back in my teens on the first Casios) and I don't really need another radio controlled watch ..my cheapo alarm clock takes care of that ...all too efficiently every morning.

But I really do like that design:

284565.JPG

So I've had umpteen versions of that watch on my e-bay watch list ...with leather strap, all black, titanium, brushed stainless, with positive or negative display.

I made the occasional bid but I've always chickened out of paying the price that these things were finally going for.

Until last week when this thing fell into my lap at an acceptable price

284566.JPG

In the sparse description yer man said the finish was "polished chrome". But with the confidence that comes from two years of looking at countless pics and threads about this watch I decided that he didn't know what he was talking about and that the watch had to be brushed stainless steel...there could be no polished version as I had never seen one.

Errr ....WRONG ! :D

284567.JPG

Hell yeah ...that thing is polished ...bling to the max :D

I love it ...when you go for a bold design you might as well go the whole hog and forget about modesty ...brushing is for sissies :D

So here it is on the wrist, The Junghans Mega 1000 in polished stainless steel.
    Digital, radio controlled, with chrono, timer ,alarm and different date display options:

284569.JPG

Just looove the look of it on the wrist, fits like a glove as well.

There are a few flies in the ointment however.
    The positive display is clear and easily readable ...until the watch gets warm on the wrist. At that point all the ghost displays in the background become more and more prominent, creating "false images" that make the watch readable from straight on only ...any angle and you see things that aren't supposed to be there.

The receiver for the radio signal is poor.
    On arrival the watch informed me that it had last synced with the fatherland 5 days ago ...it has not received a signal since.
    I've tried syncing it manually from all four corners of the house, in work, outside and even from a little hill on the way to work ...nada.
    In one particular spot in the house it's telling me that there is signal reception from the states (highly unlikely) but no syncing takes place and the display now shows that it was last updated from Japan (instead of Germany) 8 days ago ...so balls to that:D
    I'm sure that at some point during the life of the battery, when the planetary constellations, the weather and atmospheric conditions are right it will sync to the correct time eventually (my alarm clock does so almost every day) but if you're looking for a reliable radio controlled watch that works in the NW of Ireland ...look elsewhere.

But as I really bought this watch for looks and looks alone I'm happy ...very happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics, taken in artificial light so I dont think you get the full appreciation for the colour of the strap

Really makes the watch stand out more i think..any thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not terribly interesting, but got some a new strap for my Citizen. I've had this Eco-Drive for a number of years, and I've put it through hell. It came with a poor canvas style strap which was falling apart. Got some leather for it on ebay, probably not a strap that will last well, but it was cheap.

285198.JPG

285197.JPG

Some time in the late 40's / early 50's the first Moscow watch factory took their standard 15 jewel movement and improved it with a stop second function.
    This watch was called the "Navigator" = Sturmanskie = Wtypmahckne and adorned with the navigator insignia of the Soviet airforce.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f10/23296d1158254804-original-sturmanskie-15-jewel-2006_0616image0003.jpg.
    These watches were not available to the public, they were only issued to new pilots.On graduating flight school Juri Gagarin would have received such a watch.

In the late fifties the watch was upgraded with a 17 jewel movement, still with the extra stop second function. This is the watch that Juri Gagarin wore during his first space flight.
    http://www.netgrafik.ch/images/gagarin-sturmanskie-2.jpg.
    The Sturmanskie labelled watch was still a strictly military affair, but the public could buy a watch with the same mechanics labelled "Sportivnie"

Because of the Gagarin fame, the Sturmanskie watch has seen many commemorative re-issues (and quite a lot of frankened Sportivnies with fake dials :D)

What I have got here is the latest issue, commemorating the 50th anniversary even though my particular version was only released this year (I think this is called "milking it" :D)

Designwise the watch is very true to the original, but at 38 mm diameter is quite a bit larger (and much more wearable) and the 17 jewel Poljot 2609 handwinder does not not have a hacking function. (It does however have 21600 bph, 46 h power reserve and a buttery smooth wind)

285385.JPG

"Juri Gagarin, fist human in space" and in the middle, Gagarin's famous quote "tocmek" = "let's go"

285386.JPG

Three part case construction with a nice mix of brushed and polished surfaces. Lovely thin crown, very grippy.

285387.JPG
    As it is a handwinder without the bulky automatic module, it's nice and thin, topped up with a slightly curved mineral glass.

This latest edition is available with a white, silver or black dial, all adorned with the navigator insignia ...I went for the beige version with the smily face instead :D

285388.JPG

top: the Navigator label and the trade mark of the 1st Moscow Watch Faktory Kirova in old type face
    middle: 12 April 1961
    bottom: Juri Gagarin, first human in space

Love the exact readability with the long hands and clear scale at the edge, lume is pretty bright also.

And here it is on the wrist:

285389.JPG

• Advertisement

There's a bit more to the story how I got the watch

These re-issue models retail in the high 200 to low 300 Euro range ...which is waay to steep for my liking.

When I saw one pop up for under 70 quid I had to go for it though, even though the seller had dubious ratings and was largely selling cheap tat.

As expected the watch arrived somewhat damaged:

285391.JPG

The outer box was a bit squished, the "space capsule" inner packaging had lost its window as the watch had burst through and the strap was a bit chafed.

Worst of all, the watch had lost its second hand in transit

285392.JPG

But on closer inspection the watch was still working and otherwise undamaged. :)

So the seller agreed to refund the rather steep shipping cost and I paid less than that for my watchmaker to stick the second hand back on :D (although I had to wait a good few weeks until he got round to it)

Result: a well made, limited edition watch with a bit of history that works really well for under 70 quid ...peasantonomics at its best :D

was thinking of getting something for myself from 1971. Any suggestions? Some of the Russian watches peasant has displayed here have sparked some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    was thinking of getting something for myself from 1971. Any suggestions? Some of the Russian watches peasant has displayed here have sparked some interest.

A speed master pro is a popular choice.

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Pinpointing a Russian watch to 1971 will be extremely difficult. Most models had a fairly long production time and serial numbers are random, non-sequential.

Speedmaster Pro - just arrived from Iconic Watches.

wrist1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One of the very best Chronos ever MR. Rolex Daytona? Ahhh Bless. All you need now is the spacesuit and the Saturn V. :) Well wear Sir.

BTW P that's a cracking watch and I'd kill for an original Sturmanskie. And I've got the scrawny wrists to carry it too. The original space watch. Feckin Yanks with their Speedys :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

[IMG][/img]watch.jpg
    My Xmas present to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

mikehn wrote: »
    EDIT Call me the Grintch, but no pic quoting BS ya fecker. Happy Christmas :D
    My Xmas present to myself.

Like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Beautiful...

2014 is my year to venture into the Speedie world..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I spot a leather strap in the background there. Any chance you could indulge us?!

fluffer wrote: »
    I spot a leather strap in the background there. Any chance you could indulge us?!

That's just the 18mm Hirsch Liberty on my Seiko Sarb035. Unfortunately the Speed master is 20 mm. I must say the only issue I have with the Speedy is the bracelet. It only has 2 micro adjustments and no half links. Anyway I'm going to flip the Sarb035 of anyone is interested.

So I posted an Orient Mako a few posts back, but it was really a Christmas present that I wasn't allowed to wear before Christmas day. So today was my first day wearing it. And I love it. Its got a great weight to it, and thus far is keeping great time. Happy Christmas everyone, just thought id ramble here about my me toy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI--wmoGggujTvIiGeIA_2sEiyuaEl2LCpC1obz0b_IPKWGckRDQ

found this in my drawer other day its like new...

So I posted an Orient Mako a few posts back, but it was really a Christmas present that I wasn't allowed to wear before Christmas day. So today was my first day wearing it. And I love it. Its got a great weight to it, and thus far is keeping great time. Happy Christmas everyone, just thought id ramble here about my me toy!

Great watch. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Not quite a Longines Master or Stowa Marine (I'm working up to either of those). But it'll do for now!

p164217205-4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

F571BE75-1015-42D0-B986-EA37B34BA5E6_zpsag2mjssv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

ike wrote: »
    Not quite a Longines Master or Stowa Marine (I'm working up to either of those). But it'll do for now!

NO quoting pics please.

What model watch is that? Its a beaute..just what id be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Nozebleed wrote: »
    What model watch is that? Its a beaute..just what id be interested in.

The model number is GS03720/22 - I can't find it on the Rotary website, it was purchased in Agros so it's probably not a current model.

(edit - Just noticed its on sale in Argos for €69.99 at the moment)

Sorry, no picture ...but I just discovered that right on cue the Junghans finally received its first radio signal last night ...yeah ...so I can start the new year on atomic time down to the split second. :D

Happy New Year to you all !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I like my one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

this was my dads ( he passed away last may)

287006.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That Omega Da Ville is a v nice watch E. Kudos to dad on the taste front.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wibbs wrote: »
    That Omega Da Ville is a v nice watch E. Kudos to dad on the taste front.

thanks, wind up as well my longine's battery is always flat

thought i'd better add the longine (graduation present)

287062.png

Close up of the Rhodium dial and blue hands on the Ikarus

IMG_4087.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

my new stealth casio
    mhyKpSQl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement