Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 22 - Europe vs USA (McGregor & Faber coaching)**Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 _Ace_

Havent even started watching this yet - kept saying I was gonna get to it and never have.

Maybe Ill just wait for all the McGregor best bits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

_Ace_ wrote: »
    Havent even started watching this yet - kept saying I was gonna get to it and never have.

Maybe Ill just wait for all the McGregor best bits :D

The whole show is basically a highlight reel of McGregor jibes, even when the fights are on he's entertaining to listen to! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

There is no way Abner won the 1st round of that. Gonzalez dominated that round for 4 of the 5 minutes until Abner got a takedown so for some reason that means he takes the round??

Also they're supposed to put a strong guy vs a weak guy, so why are they putting Saul against Hall???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Came into training this morning, the coach was watching the clip (he's Abners brother) with a few of the guys, they were all laughing thinking McGregor had said "Ass Jiujitsu" when he had said "Thats jiujitsu!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

John_D80 wrote: »
    AFAIR its:

Artem v Svensson

Saul v Hall

Abner v Julian (I think thats his name, tall USA guy that beat Medhi)

Marcin v David (Again I'm not sure of the name here, but he's the european guy that fought last week and beat Johnny Nunes)

SPOILER

Artem's fight with Svensson has been leaked!!

Nah, its not the first time they met, some finish by Artem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Bloody tala tools add. No one wants your stinkin tools. Aaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

These late night college football games are screwing up my recordings of TUF. Yet again this week the first 30 minutes is taken up with the end of a football game. Missing the second half of the show entirely.

Always record the show after TUF so if something runs over you can still see the full episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

0ph0rce0 wrote:
    Bloody tala tools add. No one wants your stinkin tools. Aaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Could do with an aul hammer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really enjoyed that ep, the banter between Conor and faber is great, pity they aren't fighting, would be a great fight and excellent build up.

Man im rooting for an Artem Hall finale but Saul is gonna be no walkthrough for Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I know it probably makes me a big child, but I had a good laugh at Conor writing "buttface" over Faber's name, then robbing the chalk so Faber couldn't write anything back!

https://streamable.com/f4lm

Aside from all the talk of fighting each other, they seem to get on fairly well. Good to see Conor interacting with someone who doesn't get all emotional when there's a bit of slagging and is fit to give it back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Other than when that comes up they definitely seem to be sparking up a friendship of sorts...great banter between them all season. To be fair though it seems like faber would be the type of lad itd be hard not to get on with!

Faber seems like a genuinely nice guy. He's very likeable, I'd say they've had a drink or two together on the Vegas strip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What do you all think of the format of having a 9th guy who gets the chop?

Chris' fight was a stinker alright but feel bad for him that he was cut at 2-0 in the competition (can't remember his first fight though!) when one of the final 8 could easily stink a semi-final up.

Of the 9 semi-finallists he was definitely the one to be cut but should it be a case of being in that position? Someone could easily have a crap win in a quarter final against someone equally matched whereas someone who's not as good could look much better against someone even worse and take the spot of the 'better' fighter just because of a poor fight.

Undecided myself if I like the format. I think I do, but just seeing what other opinions are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Man im rooting for an Artem Hall finale but Saul is gonna be no walkthrough for Ryan.
    Since Hall has spent a few weeks over in SBG training I doubt very highly that himself and Artem are going to fighting in the final against each other. Wouldn't surprise me if either one of them is though.

I watched this from year one to year 6 then blanked it, the talent pool was drained dry I thought, From an entertainment perspective I took this season up out of interest and it's very good, both the fights and banter. Also there's not nearly as much winging, high fiving, chest pumping and FRAT Boy drinking games followed by the next day (I've had 6 shots so I'm an alcoholic) comedown ****e. Also no token renegade bad boy who turns out to be talentless also.

you can see conor is dying to admit he really likes faber. he's like the moody father who's holding in his laughter at the funny movie on TV, everyone's laughing and he's gone too far to be serious and would love to just laugh along. I always liked fabers fighting style and stand over him as a great fighter but ever since he and McGregor had that toilet altercation I've found him extremely funny, the big American delph on em aswell, bleedin wall to wall teeth typical Californian, very likable. Favorite quotes are PYTONS!!! WAT ARE PYTONS!!! and as immitation is the sincerest form of flattery then is it not obvious faber likes McGregor while dressing all the team in skin tight suits and glasses, ha ha, they looked like a gay stags party!!

you can see when he and mendes watched conor on conan O' brien, they were in stitches and said "he's actually really funny but could just chill out a bit" which is a very fair remark.

The fights have been very good except though it pains me to say it, I believe that Swedish guy should have got the bullet! shocking fighter but what was more shocking was that someone that bad could beat yer man Lee, who I fancied for the final, very dynamic, fast, sharp as fook, but I suppose there ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

DeVore wrote: »
    Yer man who wanted to start a fight last week (dreddlocked looking guy?)... he should be sent home. Boring lay-n-pray artist. Even his team said it lol!

Called it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

stephenl15 wrote: »
    There is no way Abner won the 1st round of that. Gonzalez dominated that round for 4 of the 5 minutes until Abner got a takedown so for some reason that means he takes the round??

Also they're supposed to put a strong guy vs a weak guy, so why are they putting Saul against Hall???

Watch that round again, Abner got lit up for the first minute and a half then basically had full mount for the rest of the round and the fight. He dominated your man on the ground.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Watch that round again, Abner got lit up for the first minute and a half then basically had full mount for the rest of the round and the fight. He dominated your man on the ground.

Abner looked like he had nothing left, Gonzalez did all the damage, then Abner got a takedown, layed on top of him and apparently won the round. Similar to the McGregor Mendes first round which McGregor won imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That's just mma scoring.

9/10 judges give the first round to Abner.

stephenl15 wrote:
    Abner looked like he had nothing left, Gonzalez did all the damage, then Abner got a takedown, layed on top of him and apparently won the round. Similar to the McGregor Mendes first round which McGregor won imo

Abner did a lot more than lie on top of gonzalez. And I disagree on mcgregor winning the first round vs chad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

srumball wrote: »
    Yeah I think so too, I see Saul being to strong for Ryan though. He will absolutely keep the distance and sprawl like mad anytime Ryan goes anywhere near the mat.

Sprawling won't get him out of a lot of Ryans positions. His best bet would be to drop bombs finish it from the top of 50-50 or double half. And pull his leg out or finish. And not try to grapple.
    Artem getting a bit of special treatment?

I don't think so he was left in the group of 4 unmatched euro fighters. Makes sens to make it grappler vrs striker times two. Which means Svensson or Abner makes the most sense.
    stephenl15 wrote: »

He did a bit more than lay on top, he had him completely controlled. It's a lot harder to control someone trying to get up than it is to land a strike or two.
    They both threw a lot in the opening minute, but missed a lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Nice from Artem again, lovely finish. Looked tired but dug deep to get the KO. Fun fight!

Saul was well prepared for Ryan, got his tactics spot on. key point of the fight for me was Ryan's dive for the leg's and Saul's excellent sprawl in the second, before dropping Ryan when they both got up. You could see at that point Ryan was beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

the timing of that WTF!! :D

bewwwtiful

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did someone tell Artem that you get points for looking tough while your opponent kicks you?! Well, you don't :)

Artem is going to need to knock out all his opponents because he was losing on points in both those rounds imho. The second round might have been close but the first round he lost imho.

He's a great counter puncher, no doubt and I like him but damn he's playing a dangerous game. He's going to get out-pointed one of these days very soon. An opponent smarter than that guy would have stayed at range and picked him off with kicks all day. Getting into a brawl with Artem should come with a Surgeon Generals warning and it wont take them long to work that out and just avoid it.

Saul did exactly what he needed to do and for all Ryans talk he didn't have much to go to when his leg locks didn't work. I like Ryan and I want to see more of him but Saul neutralised his strengths and played to his own. I think we'll see more of Saul for sure, quite possibly the winner right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I reckon Artem has possibly earned himself a UFC deal at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Artem is gonna find himself on somebodys highlight reel with that striking defence,hes tough as they come so fair play to him hope he gets a deal and makes a few quid for himself but he will take damage in the ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

DeVore wrote: »
    He's a great counter puncher, no doubt and I like him but damn he's playing a dangerous game. He's going to get out-pointed one of these days very soon.

I think as soon as he meets someone with a significant reach advantage who can afford to hang back from him, he'll find that he's in trouble.

Sure I think he's 12-11-1-1 or something (from memory of last nights show), so clearly it's a matter of time with that (lack of) defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I was surprised Chris didn't shoot for any takedowns. He definitely won round 1 but a brawl like that played into Artems hand. Highlight reel knockout though, fair play to Artem.

Saul will win the show imo. I think he's the most mentally strong in there. Great performance. Hopefully Hall gets a fight at the finale, his ground game is fascinating to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Mellor wrote: »
    Sprawling won't get him out of a lot of Ryans positions. His best bet would be to drop bombs finish it from the top of 50-50 or double half. And pull his leg out or finish. And not try to grapple.

Oh really? Tell me more wise one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Spoiled this for myself by accident via Twitter, but I'm over the moon to see Artem won. :D

I said last week that I thought he'd get put on the finale card against someone who will stand and bang even if he lost this matchup, but he'll almost certainly get a contract now IMO.

I'm really looking forward to seeing both fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Happy with how both fights went as I didn't like either of the 2 Americans. Your boy Chris crying his eyes out last week feeling hard done by then when Svenson was injured and he replaced him he didn't even go near him to say unlucky(Im well aware he may have off camera but made no effort on camera while taking congratulations(?) from other fighters). The fella Ryan, no matter how good he may be on the ground he was too arrogant with his 1 trick coming up against Saul, that little interview bit before the fight with him(when he talked about Conor's advice to Saul avoiding getting subbed) looking around and then sniggering "whats he going to do" made me just think he's a dick.

Artem fight was good, yeah he took some punches but he's exciting to watch and didn't look like any of the punches really hurt him. He'll need to be careful if he comes up against a better opponent though. Saul looked good, again took punches but avoided the 1 main (v.dangerous) weapon by not really getting involved on the ground. I like that he hasn't gotten involved in any of the tuf house/gym BS drama, he just seems like hes there to fight.

FS just realising that I arrive into Vegas on the Wed evening so I'll probably not even see the semi final fights or know who's in the final. I'm not going to finale though(Joe Rogan instead) so I can catchup at some point when Im home

I think Artem won both rounds on significant strikes. He landed the way bigger shots in the first but he gassed for the last minute or so and Gritz applied pressure without doing much damage. It was too little too late to swing the round though.

Artem needs to get better at checking kicks though, Gritz was landing heavy telegraphed kicks at will.

Artem is a bit strange to watch, 1 minute he looks like a fluid counter puncher the next it looks like his hands are weighed down by lead weights.

With the right match ups he could have a decent UFC career though.

Hall shouldn't be fighting at 155, he looks 20 lbs lighter then nearly every other fighter there. If he ever makes it into the UFC I'd imagine it'd be at FW or even BW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So......

Did Dana just hire a bunch of hookers and send them over?

Conor is Artems new TV coach.

Lukker- wrote: »

Conor is Artems new TV coach.

Hahaha that's hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Artem Lobov ‏@RusHammerMMA 21h21 hours ago
    Thats 2 KO's...one for each one of Fabers asses!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Artem shouldn't get too worked up he looked a bit pendred-esc wide open in the 2nd round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They way he's talking smack in that video (and the fact it was aired AFTER the show was filmed), suggests he may be in the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Does anyone have a link to the full TufTalk show with Artem please?

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think Artem won both rounds on significant strikes. He landed the way bigger shots in the first but he gassed for the last minute or so and Gritz applied pressure without doing much damage. It was too little too late to swing the round though.

Artem needs to get better at checking kicks though, Gritz was landing heavy telegraphed kicks at will.

Artem is a bit strange to watch, 1 minute he looks like a fluid counter puncher the next it looks like his hands are weighed down by lead weights.

With the right match ups he could have a decent UFC career though.

Hall shouldn't be fighting at 155, he looks 20 lbs lighter then nearly every other fighter there. If he ever makes it into the UFC I'd imagine it'd be at FW or even BW.

I agree with your weight remark and also he'd be eaten alive in that division of 155. I think artem is very one dimensional and as I said before, tries too much to emulate conor. He kept his hands down a lot last night because he'd been tagged and felt it wasn't enough to put him down. also Gritz was very slow and cumbersome but I am convinced if he'd had the gas he could have gutted out a win. Like you say, artems hands were really slow like he was carrying weights in the second round. The only reason he landed the heavy tell tale shots was because gritz was spent as fook!

Artem also has a habit of throwing a max of one shot, lead or counter because if her throws 2 or 3 combos he's guard is so bad, he gets caught on the way out, remember the head kick in his qualifier???

I'm amazed some lads don't use their feet more. I don't see artem cutting the mustard either. me thinks UFC cut after after a few fights is on the cards!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"I could drink the entire American team under the table, I'm a Russian man living in Ireland, for fncks sake!" --- haha, proper lols!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

I wouldn't judge Artem based on these TUF fights. He's after fighting 3 times in the space of like 4 or 5 weeks, he could't possibly be at his sharpest. I'd like to see what he can bring with a 6-8 week camp and i'm sure we'll see him at the finale regardless of the semi final result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I wouldn't judge Artem based on these TUF fights. He's after fighting 3 times in the space of like 4 or 5 weeks, he could't possibly be at his sharpest. I'd like to see what he can bring with a 6-8 week camp and i'm sure we'll see him at the finale regardless of the semi final result.

Artem should be judged favourably over whatever he has done before actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It will all depend on who he faces. Stick Artem in against a wrestler and it will be a one sided affair, however if you put him in with someone who equally likes to stand and trade then you have an exciting fight

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Artem's style is growing on Dana and with 2 wins now, I think he'll get picked up by the UFC regardless. Being pals with McGregor won't count against him.

His punches are devastating but nobody has really tried to take him down, have they? So I don't really know what his ground game is like.

That Saul Rodgers is my favourite to win. He looks so powerful but he looked in complete control against Ryan Hall. Every time Hall tried to take him down either he evaded it or he just went with it and ended up on top. Looks a well-rounded fighter and I can't see past him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saul fought perfectly, completely neutralised Ryan but still hope Hall gets a shot in the ufc. Id say it definitely helped having Gunni (no, i don't know him personally) giving him advice on what to do in the 50/50

Those hooker ladies were a bit strange. Gas seeing Conor not able to finish his shot and give the 'yocky' face :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ryan Hall is a cool dude seems bang on but his reputation as some sort of grappling phenom is weird,nate diaz schooled him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gamebred wrote: »
    Ryan Hall is a cool dude seems bang on but his reputation as some sort of grappling phenom is weird,nate diaz schooled him.

He was training out in SBG Ireland a couple of weeks ago. Obviously no bad blood with Conor anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Gamebred wrote: »

Diaz beat him in 2007, at purple. Hall went on to medal at adcc the following year, and has medalled or won multiple high profile comps. Might not be a phenom ala BJ and his 4 (3?) year blackbelt.

He's pretty ****ing good dude

Episode 10 is on 3e tonight at 10, I've only just realised this. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement