Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

If posters are not going to give credible warnings specific enough so people can take action then what's the point? There's a fair bit of innuendo, elaborate and barely believable posting from some quarters.

In addition if people think the Gardai are wilfully negligent then go to GSOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to Dublin 15 forum from Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

As far as I know Dublin 15 has more people than 2nd largest city in Ireland, so it does make perfect sense to specify the area of break-in or any other anti social behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    As far as I know Dublin 15 has more people than 2nd largest city in Ireland, so it does make perfect sense to specify the area of break-in or any other anti social behavior.

Good job they don't use cars or they could move anywhere. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

beauf wrote: »
    Good job they don't use cars or they could move anywhere. ;)
    Well apparently they don't have cars or they might leave the mystery estate that we are obliged to guess the location of.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

It's obvious from these repeated break ins that the people responsible are not just chancing their arm, but are watching carefully and choosing specifically. Be vigilant.

They definitely aren't chancing their arm. I heard the alarm going off on the Wednesday before the break in, so they were obviously sussing the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They seem to be checking out empty/quiet looking houses and checking to see if alarms are working. If there's lights on them etc. I think our alarm was checked one night. A lot of standard doors and windows are easily forced. Worthwhile getting extra bolts and locks on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's too many posts discussing where a particular estate is. The poster concerned is not keen on revealing it so just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

Also just a point.

I spotted the same blonde woman at Discount Fuels Clonsilla last friday evening parked with a man in a blue Audi A4 at the back of the garage. I pulled up beside them when running into the shop so got a good look at her.

Exact same woman who approached me and told me the "I need €20 for petrol" spiel!

So it seems they park up, get a good look at the garage customers and then approach you after making their choice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone told the staff in the garage about it, or the guards? They may have CCTV. Although I suppose scamming €20 off a few people isn't going to be top of their to do list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gaspode wrote: »
    There's too many posts discussing where a particular estate is. The poster concerned is not keen on revealing it so just let it go.

Which is fine, but they didn't have to name other estates that aren't related to the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Praetorian22

I'll say it to the guys in there if I spot them again, or ring them myself although I'm unsure if there could be something done?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'll say it to the guys in there if I spot them again, or ring them myself although I'm unsure if there could be something done?

Sometimes places will put up CCTV photos of people known for stealing or whatever. Not sure of the legality of that but I've seen it done. At worst it would warn customers or maybe scare the people doing it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sometimes places will put up CCTV photos of people known for stealing or whatever. Not sure of the legality of that but I've seen it done. At worst it would warn customers or maybe scare the people doing it off.

Prejudicial to prosecution, they'd get off Scott free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Has anyone told the staff in the garage about it, or the guards? They may have CCTV. Although I suppose scamming €20 off a few people isn't going to be top of their to do list.

It's easier to write on a forum than do the correct thing. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

They could insist that they leave the premises - it's a private place so anyone can be asked to leave.

If the Gardai have the reg they can keep an eye out for them. Give the car the once or twice over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Anyone recommend a locksmith that wont charge an arm & a leg to change two barrels in a set of patio doors? Looking to get the existing euro barrels replaced with anti snap ones (2 in total). Anyone get any changed recently?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a locksmith that wont charge an arm & a leg to change two barrels in a set of patio doors? Looking to get the existing euro barrels replaced with anti snap ones (2 in total). Anyone get any changed recently?

Yep, Mulhuddart locksmiths in Mulhuddart village. A personal friend of mine and reasonable. tell him chuck Norris sent you, or DM me for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

PucaMama wrote: »
    10336742_932751353420396_3058414891385814299_n.jpg?oh=a373c9ac029a55007183c7962c5f029b&oe=54B24B35

Last night around 2 someone opened our side gate and let our dogs out. We got 2 back but are still missing 1. If anyone in the Briarwood/huntstown area or near it who sees a small jack russell running around please let me no.

Dodger has escaped again after we found the side gate open at 11am. This gate had been closed with a brick left behind it. If anyone sees him please let us know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭septictank

DvB wrote: »

Changed them myself, takes a couple of minutes, very simple, bought them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avocet-High-Security-Euro-Cylinder/dp/B00KS3WJD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1418302320&sr=1-1&keywords=abs+locks

These are one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

same here, ridiculously easy job and got loads of spare keys at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PucaMama wrote: »
    Dodger has escaped again after we found the side gate open at 11am. This gate had been closed with a brick left behind it. If anyone sees him please let us know
    Sorry to hear about this happening again.

Can you put a padlock on the gate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Just caught a chap trying to get in through the neighbours' front window across the way. Just happened to be going out to our wheelie bins.

The neighbours are running a light strip across the front of their house and it's powered from inside, but the cable is going through the window. The light strip was off, but the window was still noticeably open just enough to let the cable through.

I'll let them know when they get home from work, but tell yours neighbours and yourselves, to watch out for that stuff and don't make themselves an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

JoePie wrote: »
    Just caught a chap trying to get in through the neighbours' front window across the way. Just happened to be going out to our wheelie bins.

The neighbours are running a light strip across the front of their house and it's powered from inside, but the cable is going through the window. The light strip was off, but the window was still noticeably open just enough to let the cable through.

I'll let them know when they get home from work, but tell yours neighbours and yourselves, to watch out for that stuff and don't make themselves an easy target.

Where was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

dibs101 wrote: »
    Where was this?
    It was in Lohunda...
    Turns out it was my parents house!
    I didn't know JoePie was their neighbour but I was only giving out to my Dad at the weekend for leaving the little window ajar. I contacted JoePie and asked if it happened in Lohunda and sure enough it did...spooky
    Waiting to hear from my parents if anything was stolen

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    It was in Lohunda...
    Turns out it was my parents house!
    I didn't know JoePie was their neighbour but I was only giving out to my Dad at the weekend for leaving the little window ajar. I contacted JoePie and asked if it happened in Lohunda and sure enough it did...spooky
    Waiting to hear from my parents if anything was stolen

Thanks for clarifying location. It's good to know what areas are being targeted by opportunistic burglars. At least then, strangers who are roaming around can be made aware that they are being watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

We had a break in last week. Someone climbed up on the extension and in through an open window. grabbed my jewellery box, left a tablet that was on the bedside table.
    I'm gutted. I didn't have anything expensive but several special, sentimental peices.
    More annoying is that I was away and it was the babysitter (granny) who left the window open.
    I'm definitely getting a house alarm next year
    We live in Mulhuddart BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

Last night at nearly 12 oclock, we were going to bed and had the lights out. Heard 1 knock on the front door with the cover for the post. Went downstairs and seen 2 women walking away and still looking back at the house.
    Looks like someone going around and checking for empty houses. This happened in hartstown.

Tomas_S wrote: »
    Last night at nearly 12 oclock, we were going to bed and had the lights out. Heard 1 knock on the front door with the cover for the post. Went downstairs and seen 2 women walking away and still looking back at the house.
    Looks like someone going around and checking for empty houses. This happened in hartstown.

I was actually driving to work the other morning leaving the house at around 6am and saw 2 girls and a fella standing outside a house, pitch black and freezing cold. They were not dressed like they were coming home from a night out all had hoods up and looked away when they saw me. Definitely thought it was suspicious, particularly when they would not make eye contact as a slowed down to get a look at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I was actually driving to work the other morning leaving the house at around 6am and saw 2 girls and a fella standing outside a house, pitch black and freezing cold. They were not dressed like they were coming home from a night out all had hoods up and looked away when they saw me. Definitely thought it was suspicious, particularly when they would not make eye contact as a slowed down to get a look at them.

They sound hungover and miserable. Definitely sounds like survivors of a session to me tbh.

• Advertisement

Any chance one was short and blocky, the other thin and the girl relatively tall with black hair?

Any chance one was short and blocky, the other thin and the girl relatively tall with black hair?

Couldnt see very well in a short time but one had black hair and taller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wonder if this is the group I saw recently. A guy and two girls standing in a neighbours house. He was just inside the gate and they were outside so it looked like he lived there but they don't. I noticed them three days in a row as I was doing the school run. The woman who lives there was broken into and they haven't been seen since. It could be a coincidence but keep an eye out.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wonder if this is the group I saw recently. A guy and two girls standing in a neighbours house. He was just inside the gate and they were outside so it looked like he lived there but they don't. I noticed them three days in a row as I was doing the school run. The woman who lives there was broken into and they haven't been seen since. It could be a coincidence but keep an eye out.

Where abouts was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tomas_S wrote: »
    Where abouts was this?

Mulhuddart

There's a pair of brothers and a woman, all in mid 30's to late 30s, who are robbing houses left right and centre in the Mulhuddart area, particularly in Castlecurragh.

Keep your eyes peeled. These three have nothing to lose and don't have any fear of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Probably the same lot that did my house. Still free despite multiple convictions & breeding like rabbits

Knine wrote: »
    Probably the same lot that did my house. Still free despite multiple convictions & breeding like rabbits

You're on the nail there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What time of the day are these break ins happening? And are they coming in through front/back door etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

My brother was assaulted this morning by two guys around 4am and 6am. He was comming from a party at Corduff crescent and was heading to a friends at Ladyswell. He has lost two front teeth, stitches to the chin and a brused eye. They took his phone, wallet, keys and his watch.

He is currently in A&E waiting and has given a statement to the guards. A little while after, another guy was assaulted in the same area and is currently in A&E and is in a worse state than my brother. I will get more details later as I am in Norway and got a call from my parents about it so I only got bits and pieces but i will update on the exact whereabouts later.

Please be careful everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My brother was assaulted this morning by two guys around 4am and 6am. He was comming from a party at Corduff crescent and was heading to a friends at Ladyswell. He has lost two front teeth, stitches to the chin and a brused eye. They took his phone, wallet, keys and his watch.

He is currently in A&E waiting and has given a statement to the guards. A little while after, another guy was assaulted in the same area and is currently in A&E and is in a worse state than my brother. I will get more details later as I am in Norway and got a call from my parents about it so I only got bits and pieces but i will update on the exact whereabouts later.

Please be careful everyone.

Oh gosh sorry to hear about your brother Mister Robinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Oh gosh sorry to hear about your brother Mister Robinson.

Thanks BabysCoffee.

Just got an update there. He is out of A&E with four stitches in his chin and a bruising around the eyes and his front teeth are broken. He said one guy approached him and asked him something. He then stood in his way as he tried to walk by and a second person jumped on him from behind.

I think he said it happened on the Castlecurragh heath road but I was a bit shook up when I spoke to him on the phone.

It is a terrible feeling to think it could have been worse but luckily he is okay and he is in good spirits. I just hope they catch who done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Thanks BabysCoffee.

Just got an update there. He is out of A&E with four stitches in his chin and a bruising around the eyes and his front teeth are broken. He said one guy approached him and asked him something. He then stood in his way as he tried to walk by and a second person jumped on him from behind.

I think he said it happened on the Castlecurragh heath road but I was a bit shook up when I spoke to him on the phone.

It is a terrible feeling to think it could have been worse but luckily he is okay and he is in good spirits. I just hope they catch who done this.

Thanks for posting about this awful incident. It may prevent someone else getting hurt in the same way.

I hope your brother recovers well.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Someone going around castlefield woods last night trying the front doors to see if they are unlocked.

Happened around 5:30 yesterday evening. Garda where informed.

A few of us had a conversation here last week on burglaries etc, so this article is relevant. ahem ahem.

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry guys, speculation on an ongoing court case isn't allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A car in one of our car parks in Waterville had all four alloys stolen yesterday, during the day. Car was left on bricks, one of which crumbled so serious damage done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

A van was stolen last night in the beechwood downs area of hartstown. With tools etc kept in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

Daybreak in Clonee village robbed this evening, from the Meath Crime Prevention Facebook page:

"This evening at approx 7.40pm a robbery occurred in the Daybreak shop in Clonee village. Two men entered the shop and threatened staff. The suspects had a claw hammer and an iron bar when staff were threatened. A small sum of cash was stolen during the incident. The suspects were covered up and unfortunately no direction of travel known. If you were in the area and saw the robbery or where the suspects went afterwards please call Ashbourne Garda Station on 018010600"

Advertisement