Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

w7d3 done.
    Duno, ever since that one 20min run in w5d3 I can't run more than 10mins at a go, and more like 8. I managed the run with a few 10s stops.
    I don't mean my legs are too sore or my breathing is too bad, I think they've both improved, I just... stop.
    I think I have to work on the old mental discipline a bit??
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

dont be so hard on yourself bluewolf... i am finding the 25 mins runs a struggle.. so what if you dont do it in the one go? as long as you do the 25 mins it doesnt really matter.. stamina will come in time...

**wonder how rainbow kirby is doing** - can you imagine doing 42K in the one go??? now that is a head wrecker :eek:

Ramette wrote: »
    dont be so hard on yourself bluewolf... i am finding the 25 mins runs a struggle.. so what if you dont do it in the one go? as long as you do the 25 mins it doesnt really matter.. stamina will come in time...

**wonder how rainbow kirby is doing** - can you imagine doing 42K in the one go??? now that is a head wrecker :eek:

But I want to do it in the one go!
    How will I manage any races if I'm stopping randomly!
    it feels like cheating if I stop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Ladies I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. You all inspire me to get off my ass and get moving. Just weighed myself today and I'm down 4 stone since last June. I still have a long way to go but am heading in the right direction. Still don't know how I am going to run 5K but will keep trying. It is getting easier now the weight is coming off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Week 6, Day 3 done!:)

I jogged/stumbled through 3.5km in 25mins, so I'll just have to fit 1.5km in to the remaining 5mins. Easy peasy :D

Seriously though, I'm so glad to be sticking with the programme, I can feel myself getting fitter and stronger (and I've been getting some lovely compliments from friends too)!

Onwards and upwards, bring it on week 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

3:59:00 - my first sub-4 in glorious sunshine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Yay! Congrats! :D

Congrats!!!! :):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Planning to start this in the morning. Have my trackies, sports bra, asics and hoodie ready to go. God help me!

I have to say I looked at Week 1 and just thought I can't jog for 60 seconds! I am so unfit at the moment and haven't run since I was the athletics captain of the under 12s in primary school! Looking forward to it though and am happy to repeat a few weeks to suit my own pace. Since I'm asthmatic this seems like a likely scenario!

I shall report back post run. Eeeek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Planning to start this in the morning. Have my trackies, sports bra, asics and hoodie ready to go. God help me!

I have to say I looked at Week 1 and just thought I can't jog for 60 seconds! I am so unfit at the moment and haven't run since I was the athletics captain of the under 12s in primary school! Looking forward to it though and am happy to repeat a few weeks to suit my own pace. Since I'm asthmatic this seems like a likely scenario!

I shall report back post run. Eeeek!

Just go slow. And if you need to stop short of the 60 seconds on a couple of the runs (or walk through a couple like I did, heh) in the beginning then do. Guarantee the next day will be easier ;)

I'm starting again tomorrow, all going well. On grass this time. It's a popular enough track around the pitch though so it might be a bit intimidating when proper runners start flying past me! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I did 8K on the treadmill yesterday. In about...40 mins? Would have loved to have gone longer but was on my break from work and didn't have enough time! Wish there was more hours in the day!

WOW... all hail the marathon queen....

i wont be able to complain about my 'runs' anymore! W7D2 tonight gulp...
    am getting cross at the scales though.. no weight coming off grrr

WOW... all hail the marathon queen....

i wont be able to complain about my 'runs' anymore! W7D2 tonight gulp...
    am getting cross at the scales though.. no weight coming off grrr

W8d1 tonight. I can't believe it's been 2 months already.
    My weight is about the same but I've started doing weights and putting on muscle I know, so I think it's ok. I've been told I look slimmer also.
    My jeans are falling off, though my work trousers are the same :confused:
    Oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Went into Zara yesterday specially to buy new trousers for work as my old ones are baggy ( mainly 12s) and brought in loads of size 10s- all were way too big- now I know there's a bit of vanity sizing going on there but still :eek:

I did my W8D1 this am before work and it was great but I wouldnt be able to do it very often as it took up too much time, I got up at 6.15 but between the workout, shower etc... Still have two children to feed, dress, do their hair and do school and work lunches before I can get out the door myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Currently in bed on my phone hiding under the covers...i know my running gear is watching me...i have a little visitor at the moment so im feeling sore and lazy...i hope i can do the full 3 min jog today as i failed miserably in it the last time as it was hilly..stupid hills!!! Currently waiting on my runners to come in the post im like an excited child everyday!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Started week 2 yesterday, felt good. Think I prefer tarmacadam to grass. Aside from the local field being dog walking central, it's a bit bobbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kizzylady

Hey just spotted this thread good to see I,ve loads of company,W5D1 for me today and feels great.Not a natural runner so probably look quite amusing to anyone watching. Reallt enjoying it though, Check out www.runningintoshape for more music downloads and encouraging words from 'Carli' Her taste in music is really good. Keep it going :)

Those three minute runs are a KILLER! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I'm about to go out to the local park to do WK1D1. I'm a little bit excited and dreading it at the same time, I can't run to save my life! This thread is a great inspiration ladies. Wish me luck :)

• Advertisement

^ Have fun :)

You'll be fine!

Well I did it, my body is screaming what the hell did you just do me? But it was worth it, I'm off for a shower and a little rest now, hopefully the next run will be a bit easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I am terrified of week 3, I can't jog for 3 minutes straight, what am I thinking! :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

clicli wrote: »
    Well I did it, my body is screaming what the hell did you just do me? But it was worth it, I'm off for a shower and a little rest now, hopefully the next run will be a bit easier!

Well done, we've all been there. Starting off is the most difficult but you will get a momentum going and eventually it'll become a natural part of your day. I'm just reaching that stage now, if I don't run my body does wonder what's going on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Hey ladies,

A friend just sent me a link to the Today FM site - apparently they're running a series of 5km races around the country at the start of April and entry's only 5 euro. I thought it might be something cool to aim for, especially as a good few of us seem to be around week 5/6/7/8 of the programme. More info here: http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/JoinRayFor5K.aspx

Sorry if this is old news!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

W2D1 completed today :) wasn't too bad, the first 15 minutes felt like torture, but after that I got in to it. My last walk, I felt ready to start jogging again after a minute. And for my last jog, I kept going after the time for 30 seconds so I ended up jogging 2 minutes straight. Considering only 6 weeks ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds, I'm very happy with myself :D

• Advertisement

W7D2 complete(ish) can get to the 20 mins but then my mental self kicks in :( but my speed was faster than before so i guess i just keep at it and eventually i will get to 30 mins! twas nice to run under the stars :)

w8d1 completed. in theory :rolleyes:
    I feel like I've seriously gone downhill again, wtf? I think I might have pushed my speed back up unconsciously or something but whatever it is I can't even run 3k without stopping. I sprinted the final 1/2 km as determinedly as I could but OW. My calves have seized up now and I can't walk down the stairs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Someone tell me this will pass and I'll get fit again!!!
    I'm supposed to be doing that stupid 5km run the weekend after this but I will have to walk half of it at this rate!!
    :(:(:mad::mad:

now now bluewolf let there be no :mad: or :(, i can only do 20 mins for the last two runs instead of 25... look it is not a competition, you are running to get fit, you will get there as will i.. we have to just stop being so hard on ourselves and make sure you stretch those calves girl...

now now bluewolf let there be no :mad: or :(, i can only do 20 mins for the last two runs instead of 25... look it is not a competition, you are running to get fit, you will get there as will i.. we have to just stop being so hard on ourselves and make sure you stretch those calves girl...
    It's a competition against ME :D
    I think I have actually pushed up my speed now that I think about it, that might explain it
    But I don't wanna slow down again
    I did my stretches before I went out but maybe not enough of them!

Is anybody else doing the 5k next week and are they going to walk some of it too? :(

What type of stretches are recomended to do before and after sessions? My legs are bleedin' killin' me! :(

• Advertisement

clicli wrote: »
    What type of stretches are recomended to do before and after sessions? My legs are bleedin' killin' me! :(

I should probably find out recommended ones, I do
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/inner-thigh-stretch-0504-fb.jpg
    where you lean forward to put your head onto your feet (not that I can do that yet, I used to but got unflexible again), that works the thighs - knees should be flat on the ground though

and
    http://www.fitnessgenerator.com/images/exercises/Single%20Leg%20Hamstring%20Stretch.gif
    that stretches the calves

The guy in runways said I need to do more outer thigh stretches cos they're obviously stiff when I run so I'll do these ones also
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/assets/exercises/Gluteal-and-Outer-Thigh-Stretch.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

W3D1 completed this morning - can't believe the weeks are flying by so quickly. I found it quite ok tbh, I think I'm starting to believe that this is a programme that I can actually see through to the very end (really hoping I don't regret saying that!!!). On another positive note, I had a weigh in yesterday and since the middle of September last year I've lost exactly 40 pounds! My ambition to get fit and healthy this year is well on its way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Week 3 day 3 done, feel like crap today, have a stupid headcold, nearly wasn't going to do it but preserved and completed it, happy now that I done it. Hopefully will be on the mend tomorrow

I did W1D1 today. It went pretty well considering I have no level of fitness. Chuffed that I managed to get a couple of the runs done. Came in buzzing! Just hope I can walk in the morning :P

Should I do W1 until I can finish every run through?

W5D1 done.

My pace has been increasing a lot more with each run now. I'm going further too. Feeling pretty good, if sweaty. Shower time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

For anyone making their own podcasts this link- http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/ -is really good at explaining what you have to do, esp if you're a bit dim with computers like me.
    W3D1 today, went pretty well. Just finished putting together my own podcast now so i'm tempted to skip my rest day and head out again tomorrow to try it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I was pressed for time this evening, so I did W5D3 (20 minutes) instead of the 30 minutes, but pushed myself harder just to see what I could do. Went from a 12 minute mile to an 11 minute mile, covering the same route I did for the 25 minute runs! It's great to see these little improvements. It seems like only yesterday I was pissed off over not being able to do those three minute runs!

So... 10k training begins on Wednesday :( Has anyone else done to Ease into 10k/Bridge to 10k program? Bridge to 10k looks a bit much (First run is 40 minutes, feck!) so I was thinking of going with Ease into 10k and starting from Week 4.

I've paid for my Flora mini-marathon entry... but haven't told anyone yet! I'm keeping it a secret until the idea of me actually running 10km seems feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I've decided I'm going to keep proper track of times and distances.

So starting with today's run:

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles

I did ok considering I did my run after my 1hr workout. This week will probably be just running on my 'off' days.

Looking forward to week 4.

So should we have a tll/c25k beers after next weekend's 5k??

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

just completed w1d1- delighted to have started and not hated it!!!

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    So should we have a tll/c25k beers after next weekend's 5k??

Hell yeah - even a mid-afternoon tLL coffee would be nice after it!

Am currently targeting Thursday for my first post-Barcelona easy run. We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

This is a great thread!! I started C2-5k in January and I'm now up to week 7 day 2 (just had 3 weeks off after going back home to NZ on holiday *cough cough*)! Went for a jog yesterday and my word did it feel a bit harder!!!

Have also lost a bit of weight (about 5kg) and looking more toned... hubby is appreciative!! Keep at it anyone who's started!

Now gotta get my backside back out tomorrow for a run...!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Finally got around to starting! W1D1 tonight. Did a pretty intense gym session last night so was really feeling it in my legs today, but I was DYING to start this so couldn't wait 'til tomorrow. LOVED IT! :D There is nothing like running in the wind and the rain. It felt so great. :D My legs were like jelly going up the stairs when I get home, but I'm already excited about D2!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Well done Novella!! It feels great when you get up to the straight non-stop running parts!!

Running is so great for the body and mind. Am recently unemployed so it gets me out the house, is free exercise and keeps me sane!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I've decided I'm going to keep proper track of times and distances.

So starting with today's run:

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles

I did ok considering I did my run after my 1hr workout. This week will probably be just running on my 'off' days.

Looking forward to week 4.

How do you keep track of the distance covered?

paulgalway wrote: »
    How do you keep track of the distance covered?

Cheap way: Stopwatch and MapMyRun/Gmaps Pedometer/Google Maps
    Expensive way: Garmin GPS watch

I downloaded an app called buddy runner from the android app store, it's free too. You start it when you start out and when you finish you stop it it gives you how long you were out for, how much distance you ran/walked, how many calories you burned, and how quick you ran/walked a mile.

:)

Supposed to be heading out for W1D2 today but really don't want to. All my muscles are still aching from day one. I can hardly walk, let alone run. What to do...

Supposed to be heading out for W1D2 today but really don't want to. All my muscles are still aching from day one. I can hardly walk, let alone run. What to do...

Get out there and do it!!! :D

• Advertisement

left my bleedin runners at work... now cant do my run this evening :cool:

Advertisement