Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Allowances

• 25-09-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

BASIC
    + shift allowance
    + rent allowance tax free(€4,160)
    + uniform allowance
    + boot allowance
    + away from station for the day allowance(airport passport guys + other moving prisoners from x to y)
    + overtime(easily availible, perhaps reduced now)
    + handy days standing around croke park (€200euro from what i'm told)
    + scheduling a ten minute court appearance on your day off knowing that you'll get paid for the minimum 5hours you get under union agreements that state you must be paid this minimum time regardless of your actual time worked(been told first hand about this)
    +Garda credit union(cheap loans how many apartments have you rented from Garda i've been in 3 apartments all owned by garda in the last 5 years, 3 friends have garda landlords)
    +health insurance for you and married partner
    + if put on clerical duty(9-5) an allowance to compensate you for the allowances your missing by not working unsocial hours
    + while on holiday pay an allowance to cover the overtime/allowance you could have potentiallly got if you weren't on the beach basically unsocial hours work allowance even though your not in
    + plain clothes allowance, if your plain clothes garda to buy your own clothes
    +Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance
    + retire @ 50 with full pension(lump sum+payments)

What these cost the exchequer. Bear in mind it costs €4m to vaccinate young girls against cervical cancer and the goverment won't pay it.

Cost:
    Rent allowance costs €58 million Its paid to every member up to and including superintendent.

Premium Payments (€9.07m) Paid to those on holiday who would normally be eligible for unsociable hours allowance.

Clerical Allowance (€2.07m) paid to cops doing paperwork to make up for the allowances they are loosing out on because they are basically clerical staff.

Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance (€1.2m) (its value is 7.5 per cent of basic pay)

Uniform Grant and Allowance and Boot Allowance (€5.4 m)

Plain Clothes Allowance (€1.9m)

Non-Public Duty Allowances (€1.7m)

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...250847395.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

You probably should have become a cop then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Seems like a great job. Which I had plain cloths allowance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Which of these mindless copy/paste posts do you want responses to? This one, or the ones you've dumped in other fora?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Wouldn't be as bad if they were any use at their jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Gardai do a great job and are very hard working.
    They have to deal with murders, suicide , rape and just about every other thing thats detroying our country . There is'nt too many of us that have them kind of things in our 9-5 jobs ! Any few pence they get for going to court or uniform is well earned.I Dont see to many jobs where you have to tell Parents that the 17 year old son has died in a traffic accident.

Now, leave the gards alone there not the people who got us into this mess and by taking away the few pence spent on allowance wont get us out of it either.

Its the Bankers, Developers , Politians, these are the people who should be attacked and ripped of everything there worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,148 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A Police Force is similar in structure to a Military Force beside the very obvious and very important difference of jurisdiction. Military Personnel get a slew of similar benefits. Same with the Coast Guard.

Can't blame the Gardai on this one. You want your 4 million Euro? I hear it went to the Fas executive travel budget. Go gettim'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Overheal wrote: »
    A Police Force is similar in structure to a Military Force beside the very obvious and very important difference of jurisdiction. Military Personnel get a slew of similar benefits. Same with the Coast Guard.

Can't blame the Gardai on this one. You want your 4 million Euro? I hear it went to the Fas executive travel budget. Go gettim'.

Exactly.

Its not a simple job either,they put up with alot of sh1t from ungreatful membes of the public.Just imagine how bad it would be if we dident have a police force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Their basic starting pay is pretty **** from what I recall. The job i'd say varies from being boring and mundane to horribly tough. Begrudge much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

BASIC
    + shift allowance
    The Gardai can be asked to work anywhere in the country/can be relocated. Hence the allowance
    + uniform allowance
    They are required to wear a uniform to work. This can get wrecked when climbing over fences, gettng spat at, puked on, dragged out of.
    + boot allowance

See uniform allowance.
    + away from station for the day allowance(airport passport guys + other moving prisoners from x to y)
    Expenses will be incurred when out of the office in any job, lunch etc. That is the same in any job
    Ah now c'mon. People deserve to get extra pay for extra work
    They are paid normally afaik, there is however a charge to the GAA

+ scheduling a ten minute court appearance on your day off knowing that you'll get paid for the minimum 5hours you get under union agreements that state you must be paid this minimum time regardless of your actual time worked(been told first hand about this)

Or on the other hand, being summonsed to court on days off or after working all night and having to sit around all day waiting for your case to be called
    +Garda credit union(cheap loans how many apartments have you rented from Garda i've been in 3 apartments all owned by garda in the last 5 years, 3 friends have garda landlords)

There is a credit union. Not the only organisation with this.
    There is medical insurance. Not the only organisation with this. It is important that our police force are healthy
    + if put on clerical duty(9-5) an allowance to compensate you for the allowances your missing by not working unsocial hours

Genuinely don't know this one.

+ while on holiday pay an allowance to cover the overtime/allowance you could have potentiallly got if you weren't on the beach basically unsocial hours work allowance even though your not in
    You get holiday pay which is commesuarate to the hours you work in all jobs. If you get 500 basic plus 200 allowances a week you deserve the same in holiday pay.

Same as uniform allowance. Your clothes would get wrecked as a gard. Suits for court, then also clothes to go chasing through fields, over walls, spat at, puked on.
    Don't know thing about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

3fullback wrote: »
    Gardai do a great job and are very hard working.
    They have to deal with murders, suicide , rape and just about every other thing thats detroying our country . There is'nt too many of us that have them kind of things in our 9-5 jobs ! Any few pence they get for going to court or uniform is well earned.I Dont see to many jobs where you have to tell Parents that the 17 year old son has died in a traffic accident.

Now, leave the gards alone there not the people who got us into this mess and by taking away the few pence spent on allowance wont get us out of it either.

Its the Bankers, Developers , Politians, these are the people who should be attacked and ripped of everything there worth.

well said.... im sick of all this moaning about garda getting this allowance and that allowance. they deserve every penny of it its a difficult job!

(im not a garda by the way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Don't forget donut allowance.
    mmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just imagine how bad it would be if we dident have a police force.

We dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yet another Garda bashing thread, or another Civil Servant bashing thread. End of the day they make the country work, if we reduced their pay productivity would sink like a stone. Gardaí of all CS deserve the cash they get and then some. They're efficient and I can tell you they work damn hard, my Dad (not a Garda, but a Civil Servant) is paid for 9 hours a day and works about 12 with no overtime anymore, and doesn't complain about it either.

Just to mention - the uniform and boot allowances above are under a tenner a week combine IIRC.

Go back under the rock you came from, OP.

*yawn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,148 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ yep.

Theres muppets in the military too. But we dont usually scream at them trying to pay them in pennies and lint - we just want them ot of Iraq. Nevermind everybody I see pulling out of the AFB here in Charleston @ 5PM is driving new 09 Hummers and Lincolns and Mercedes but Damned if they dont deserve it. I'd want a beamer too if I was getting paid to be shot at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Ara feck off.The Gardai do more than you think.I thought most people grew out of putting down the Gardai to seen cool and edgey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

BASIC
    + shift allowance
    + uniform allowance
    + boot allowance

Why don't you join them if the pay is so good?
    Are you busy at the moment?
    Went to dole office today to apply have to go to meeting next week with some rep. from the dole office

What will this meeting involve

and will i be paid from the day i started my claim

From here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055607584

Ha, that says it all. He's happy to take money of the government for sitting on his hole but the hard working garda are money sucking bogeymen because they get a few allowances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Ara feck off.The Gardai do more than you think.I thought most people grew out of putting down the Gardai to seen cool and edgey.

Maybe more than what I think, but not enough.

Im already cool and edgy, I dont need to put down the Gardai to look it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While I'm not an unthinking fan of the police by any means, there is something to be said for making it a relatively well-paid profession. Not only because of the danger that a lot of lot of unarmed Garda face, but to try and prevent the temptation for financial wrong-doing that you might see if we saw people working in positions of power but on really bad pay.

That said, I'd wish people would assign the same respect and importance to jobs like nursing, teaching, crèche-work and social care. Jobs that are pretty important, but perhaps not as glamorous as police work.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    While I'm not an unthinking fan of the police by any means, there is something to be said for making it a relatively well-paid profession. Not only because of the danger that a lot of lot of unarmed Garda face, but to try and prevent the temptation for financial wrong-doing that you might see if we saw people working in positions of power but on really bad pay.

That said, I'd wish people would assign the same respect and importance to jobs like nursing, teaching, crèche-work and social care. Jobs that are pretty important, but perhaps not as glamorous as police work.

i agree, people are baying for these peoples blood just because they are public servants. its disgraceful...... typical irish begrudgery.

paramedics, firefighters, nurses, soldiers, teachers etc are all stressfull proffesions and they deserve the money they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

stovelid wrote: »

I'll give you nursing & social care. Maybe teaching, but i find it hard to include cheche work in the same boat as the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What people seem to miss when they /rage is the constant danger a Garda and his/her family are in. The traumatic events they come accross...

I have a few mates in the force, one of them pulled a dead body out of a river in her second week on the beat. She then had to tell the dead mans mother what happened. Gardai do not get paid enough for the horrible job they have to do. The scum they have to deal with and the ignorant public who think the Guards are lazy useless drains on the countries coffers.

The money you post there op, not all gardai get it all the time. Stop blowing it out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

Sorry to burst your bubble, no they don't. Not entitled to hold more than one allowance, on a continual basis, at a time. There are allowances paid for when a specific duty is carried out, such as security duty allowance, but that is only paid when the duty is done outside normal working hours. Neither is overtime paid to DF, nor clothing, nor rent, nor uniform allowances (except officers).

If they did pay all those allowances, I would never have left!!:D
    (Of course, I am referring to the IRISH ARMY not the... US ARMY!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

BASIC
    + shift allowance
    + uniform allowance
    + boot allowance

What these cost the exchequer. Bear in mind it costs €4m to vaccinate young girls against cervical cancer and the goverment won't pay it.

Cost:
    Rent allowance costs €58 million Its paid to every member up to and including superintendent.

Premium Payments (€9.07m) Paid to those on holiday who would normally be eligible for unsociable hours allowance.

Clerical Allowance (€2.07m) paid to cops doing paperwork to make up for the allowances they are loosing out on because they are basically clerical staff.

Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance (€1.2m) (its value is 7.5 per cent of basic pay)

Uniform Grant and Allowance and Boot Allowance (€5.4 m)

Plain Clothes Allowance (€1.9m)

Non-Public Duty Allowances (€1.7m)

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...250847395.html

Would you be happier if the Gardai got that included in their basic salary without classing it as expenses?

It doesn't matter what it is classed as. Salary, wages or expenses. All that matters is € in the pocket at the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bringingitall

oh yeah forgot you can retire at fifty as well with full pension(lump sum + payments)!!!!

and watch all your gaffs in Rathmines bring in a pretty penny in rent

or perhaps start a bouncy castle business like alot do that i know

not forgetting you barely need a leaving cert for the job

and its statistically more dangerous working on a building site than being a guard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

They are worth every penny and they should also get some thanks every now and again.

I know afew people in the gardai
    -One ran into a house with an armed (probably drugged up) guy, he didn't get a medal for it (some other gardai that ran into the house did) only because he was in the special forces (they carry a gun).
    -One had to arrest a mother and daughter, for prositution and they spat, scratched and bit while getting arrested.
    -One found a dead woman that had been half eaten (by animals not people)
    -My cousin, in the past few weeks jumped into a river to save a guy that tried to drown himself.

I just typed this out because I wanted to tell people about my cousin, his father was saying what a strong swimmer he was and so on but, I'm better:D (we had a race)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

oh yeah forgot you can retire at fifty as well with full pension(lump sum + payments)!!!!

and watch all your gaffs in Rathmines bring in a pretty penny in rent

or perhaps start a bouncy castle business like alot do that i know

I am sure that all Gardai can't wait to retire so they can set up their bouncey castle businesses. Half of them aren't interested in fighting crime. Just put in 30 years of dealing with the lowest of the low to save enough to get a generator, air compressor, castle and a transit van to lug it around in.

It's a common desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

You would swear the medical insurance and credit unions were free!

These have nothing to do with the organisation only that you must be in the organisation as they were founded by Gardaí for Gardaí and their families - not set up as part of the organisation.

The health cover is almost €25 per week for a single adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

not forgetting you barely need a leaving cert for the job

Do you have one?
    and its statistically more dangerous working on a building site than being a guard

Great. What hours do builders work? Are builders at risk of being stabbed/shot/spat at/run over/punched/kicked? Do builders have good uniforms/facilities/etc? Yes. Do the guards? No.

Another uneducated attack on the ES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Getting bonuses/expenses for being a garda is entirely different to getting bonuses/expenses for being a politician/banker.

Also, well paid gardai = less incentive for corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Its 3 hours for attending court at 10.30am when you only finished your night shift at 6am. Strangely enough I wouldnt do it if I had a choice.

Also, I get holiday pay same as everyone else, I dont get allowances unless I worked the hours. I dont know where you heard that.

If you pay enough into your pension you can retire atafter 30 years too. Its the STATE pension that is only at 65. when you retire on your private pension is based completely on what you pay, for Gardai its 30 years service and before anyone says otherwise, we do and always did pay for our pensions plus the dole which you are entitled to OP but I am not.

The uniform allowance is 4 euro a week and 2 for boots FFS!

So who is screwing who?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

What about the cost of getting killed or seriously injured while you or I sleep soundly in our beds?

I don't think an adequate figure exists tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Leave the Gardai alone tbh. Great bunch and deserve what they get paid. :D

• Advertisement

Check the stats for Ireland there has been more deaths in the last ten years of workers on building sites/construction projects than gardai in the line of duty

also more serious injuries resulting in paralysis etc. in the construction sector

Anyway done with this can see the arguements for a well paid force and corruption arguement is strong enough reason for me(and the cops in Donegal are good enough example of that couldn't do with a country full of them, so let the babies have their bottle)

But lets be real next time the guards moan about poor pay(24/7 alliance and all) have a think about their allowance they've done well out of the "blue flu benchmarking"

Lets make no bones about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

donvito99 wrote: »

Great. What hours do builders work? Are builders at risk of being stabbed/shot/spat at/run over/punched/kicked? Do builders have good uniforms/facilities/etc? Yes. Do the guards? No.

Hold on there.

I've no axe to grind either way on this, but this statement is stupid.

I left school in '85, aged 16 & worked in a range of manual jobs, such as , builder's labourer, plumber's mate, aircraft hangar maintainance, aerial rigging etc.

Now, I don't remember getting any uniforms, facilities, rent allowances, pensions, guaranteed income,can claim for 'trauma at every turn & be listened to' culture, despite doing dangerous & risky jobs for the last 25 years!

Maybe you're the one who needs educating in the facts of life.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Check the stats for Ireland there has been more deaths in the last ten years of workers on building sites/construction projects than gardai in the line of duty

also more serious injuries resulting in paralysis etc. in the construction sector

Anyway done with this can see the arguements for a well paid force and corruption arguement is strong enough reason for me(and the cops in Donegal are good enough example of that couldn't do with a country full of them, so let the babies have their bottle)

But lets be real next time the guards moan about poor pay(24/7 alliance and all) have a think about their allowance they've done well out of the "blue flu benchmarking"

We will have it your way so.. no more allowances for the Gardai. But can I have my money back that contributes to your dole every week while we're on the subject of allowances??

(I'm not a Garda btw)

well it seems some Garda /wanna be Garda did an excellent investigation into my previous posts using the profile tab, top quality work lads

Yes i was on the dole for 3 weeks but i think my 13 years PRSI contributions covered the 600 quid i got

It seems boards.ie is riddled with Garda or Garda wanna be's check out:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289429&page=135
    135 pages of people dying to get spit at, stabbed, killed or maybe dying to get a sweet number thats well paid with very low entry requirments

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289438&page=117
    and another 117 pages of people already accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

donvito99 wrote: »
    Do you have one?

Facilities, uniforms etc for builders - no, hell no!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

well great to see the boards garda protection squad out in full force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

An the builders can't score homely country nurses in Copper Faced Jacks!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

yadda yadda

Is that you Jimmmy ?

oh yeah not forgeting coppers

the only pub you can get drink in town after official closing hours on Saturday now. Why?

Becuase its a Garda pub and the guards close a blind eye to it servin for a half an hour or more than other pubs

tempted puttin it in as another allowances but after being in there before i'd call it a curse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've a feeling that this isn't really about extra income gardai make. If I were to guess that it's about a garda/gardai píssed you off for reasons which may or may not have been your own fault and you were complaining about it to someone who fed you this information.*

The retired gardai I know are nothing like you have described.

*Just a guess with a lot of help from my imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Seriously, pray tell?.

(I might be able to have 26years non-payment of these allowences back dated)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

oh yeah not forgeting coppers

the only pub you can get drink in town after official closing hours on Saturday now. Why?

No it's not. You can get a late gargle in loads of places ffs. Mmmm gargle.

FACT:

Garda pay and allowances bill has reached €904 million a year compared with €530 million in 2001.

Thats nearly a 60% increase, crazy.

Never had a run in with garda in my life was just told of all the allowances and as private sector worker who never got a penny to clean his clothes/boots nor ever got a penny in rent allowance to move somewhere to work i was quite shocked

FACT:

Garda pay and allowances bill has reached €904 million a year compared with €530 million in 2001.

Thats nearly a 60% increase, crazy.

Never had a run in with garda in my life was just told of all the allowances and as private sector worker who never got a penny to clean his clothes/boots nor ever got a penny in rent allowance to move somewhere to work i was quite shocked

how do you work out that out? 904m - 503m does not equal 60%. more closer to 40%. :confused:

and you were saying that garda is a low intelligence job that only requires a leaving cert. do require them to be part of mensa???

i would imagine an awful lot of people in the private sector have had at least a 40% pay increase in over 8 years (cost of living increasing, celtic tiger etc etc.)

how do you work out that out? 904m - 503m does not equal 60%. more closer to 40%.

How did you do yours????

Did my sums much too quicky my friend its actually worse than 60% you must have hoped it would be 40%

904m - 530m = 374million euro increase

374million as percentage of 503m is a 70.5% increase

(374/503)*100= 70.566

Therefore to get from 530m to 904m you need to multiply 530m by 1.705 or increase it by 70.5% same thing

Now even worse than i thought 70% increase

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement