Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

spacetweek wrote: »
    Unlikely, companies are anxious to start work right after contract sign.

I was of the understanding that construction had to start within a month of the contracts been signed. This was the case with other major infrastructure projects

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I was of the understanding that construction had to start within a month of the contracts been signed. This was the case with other major infrastructure projects
    It's been speculated on elsewhere in the thread but the construction company are likely preparing stuff already, but not necessarily in places visible from existing roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Not in the case of a design/build or PPP as is the case here. The contractor has to complete the detailed design and have it approved by the employer. Takes at least 4 months, probably more for a contract this size. The designers are a mixture of irish and british companies so some of the design work is likely being done in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Design work being done is Ireland UK and Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Source ? What element of the design in being done abroad ? Both of the design teams have substantial offices and employees in Ireland so I would not expect them to carry out such work abroad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Annfield, you talk like an insider but we're gonna need to know where you're getting your info from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Surveying work on the motorway in Gort today, good few engineers walking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

IMO they will be starting the cuttings and earth moving prior to requiring the detailed design for the structures. If the Engineers are on the ground, then the earthmoving will soon be starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

Bridge structures start first , it wont be till later on earth works will start and it will be next summer before the main rock cuts and associated work will be done
    The earth work is the quickest part to be done , its the desgsign that holds all these jobs up , the moterway way jobs I have worked on usually end up with earthworks being done and waiting for the designers to complete another section

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

http://claregalway.info/nuacht/news/2014/06/claregalway-bypass-finally-scrapped/
    It was understood by local residents that once the Gort–Tuam motorway got the go-ahead, that funding would be provided for the Claregalway inner relief road.
    But now Deputy Noel Grealish has been informed by the Department of Transport that there will be no funding for the project this year. The project was ready to go to the compulsory purchase of land stage.
    There is no commitment from Minister Leo Varadkar that any funding for the much needed bypass will be provided in the future.

Whilst it will have an impact I cannot see this Motorway giving the much needed relief to Claregalway that some think it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

is there going to be a toll on this new motorway i am sure its covered on this tread but am too lazy to read all 138 pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

popa smurf wrote: »
    is there going to be a toll on this new motorway

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Anything happening on the ground with this project??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

spacetweek wrote: »
    Annfield, you talk like an insider but we're gonna need to know where you're getting your info from.
    You're not gonna need to know anything. If the person is an insider, they're hardly going to want to reveal who they are. If their assertions are found to be correct, you'll know what they can be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

No havent seen any action on the Tuam end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

You wont see any action until next year, and by that I mean serious earthworks, structures etc

The three Contractors are unlikely to start in January /February if the weather is poor, more likely March

Otherwise there will be a bit of site set up, maybe a bit of fencing

there is some site investigation to get done, but dont get too excited when you see a few rigs dotted around

Does Roadbridge civil have the plant and machinery needed for the construction of this road available in this county at the moment or is there any company left in ireland to faciltate the earthworks and structures on this road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Does Roadbridge civil have the plant and machinery needed for the construction of this road available in this county at the moment or is there any company left in ireland to faciltate the earthworks and structures on this road
    Willis bros

red bull wrote: »
    Willis bros

They have a fair fleet but not a hope with 57km of moterway to be built and they seem to have never taken on more than a 20km stretch that I know of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You wont see any action until next year, and by that I mean serious earthworks, structures etc

The three Contractors are unlikely to start in January /February if the weather is poor, more likely March

Otherwise there will be a bit of site set up, maybe a bit of fencing

there is some site investigation to get done, but dont get too excited when you see a few rigs dotted around
    There may be trees/ditches cut down in the winter, its harder to do in the nesting season

The announcement was a political stroke, it probably will go ahead to save face. Its a ridiculous situation land bought and paid for surveys done. Badly needed infrastructure'

The announcement was a political stroke, it probably will go ahead to save face. Its a ridiculous situation land bought and paid for surveys done. Badly needed infrastructure'

Get real do you honestly think these companies sign contracts on a policital whim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The CPO vesting orders were published in the City Tribune this week for the N17 section of the project, the land will be taken over on August 1st and will be available for works from then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I presume it's the Claregalway inner bypass you're talking about...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

antoobrien wrote: »
    The CPO vesting orders were published in the City Tribune this week for the N17 section of the project, the land will be taken over on August 1st and will be available for works from then.

Now, here's a guess - I'm thinking that the consortium will bring in enough machinery and workers to construct around 25-30 km of road at any one time. They may start work in early 2015 (after site clearance/preparation this year) on the N18 section and Rathmorrisey (many different spellings of this it seems) Interchange and finish those parts in 2017. After earthworks on the N18 section, work might start on the M17 and N17 Tuam Bypass in 2016 with completion of those sections in 2018. This IMO would be a similar situation to what happened on the M6 Kinnegad to Athlone scheme - this road was contacted out in two sections and in that case, Bam did both contracts and IIRC, constructed the M6 K to A in a similar manner to what I described above.

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement

No this is one contract, I can see them doing the southern end first as the rock cleared will be wanted towards Tuam end, it was also stated at the oral hearing that there is enough rock at Gort end to fill Tuam end, I also remember reading that construction was to start at 3 locations

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

Hi all where will the compound be ... In gort or tuam. When will work start people I know are saying September ? .

What I heard is they are starting in the middle and working both ways, so that means one Base, around Athenry somewhere

What I heard is they are starting in the middle and working both ways, so that means one Base, around Athenry somewhere

Ah I see not so bad I wonder who got the fencing contract ,

The bits I've seen are already fenced around Athenry

• Advertisement

Does anyone really know when it's going to start ?

very little fenced overall and the majority of it was done at the landowners request, the rest was where the archoligests wanted it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

:pac:

Its like the Garth Brooks Saga in reverse!!

Have the planning to a tee but no performers:pac:

Just herd today from a sourse that work wont start till january 2015 , anyone else hear this or is this false information

Just herd today from a sourse that work wont start till january 2015 , anyone else hear this or is this false information

Now you see, political opertunity before elections. Of course this project will go ahead but when.

If that is the case then I will have to eat humble pie and acknowledge to anfield1978 that he/she was right all along.

It would amaze me I have to say that a roads contract would be signed at the end of april and that works would not commence on site until 8 months later. My own guess is that some sort of clearance and cutting will start after the august bank holiday weekend. Someone mnetioned that they is a lot of rock on one end of the scheme. Why can't rock breaking begin in the short term? It would be one less job to do and give a good headstart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

sonnyblack wrote: »
    It would amaze me I have to say that a roads contract would be signed at the end of april before an election and that works would not commence on site until 8 months later.
    Doesn't amaze me at all for the FYP reason above.

"Bread and circuses" as the Romans used to call it.

Not much on this thread lately apart from unsourced speculation and wisecracks about elections. Can we limit our posts to news about actual work people know to be taking place on the scheme?

If that is the case then I will have to eat humble pie and acknowledge to anfield1978 that he/she was right all along.

It would amaze me I have to say that a roads contract would be signed at the end of april and that works would not commence on site until 8 months later. My own guess is that some sort of clearance and cutting will start after the august bank holiday weekend. Someone mnetioned that they is a lot of rock on one end of the scheme. Why can't rock breaking begin in the short term? It would be one less job to do and give a good headstart

Planning permission and blasting the rock may have problems with houses near by and they would need to get crushers and screders on site and they will probably tender out the rock work to some company , which all takes alot of time

I'll probably be killed for speculating but here goes. did I recall that someone said on this thread that Wills Construction were going to be undertaking the groundworks for the scheme but wouldn;t be able to start until after they had finished the Ballaghadreen bypass. Well, that's opening on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Wonder if they'll make a start on Gort Tuam after that.

• Advertisement

I'll probably be killed for speculating but here goes. did I recall that someone said on this thread that Wills Construction were going to be undertaking the groundworks for the scheme but wouldn;t be able to start until after they had finished the Ballaghadreen bypass. Well, that's opening on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Wonder if they'll make a start on Gort Tuam after that.
    Is wills bros not doing the m11 at the moment in arklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is wills bros not doing the m11 at the moment in arklow

No that's BAM

tonc76 wrote: »
    No that's BAM

Are wills doing the earthmoving

spoke to 2 men yesterday[met them on the ground near Tuam], they didnt say who they were working for, had a map of M17 with them, said fencing to start next October, work to begin at 3 different sections, Tuam end, Gort end and possibly at Athenry junction

Arent they taken there time getting started for such a big project , they must have all the area well surveyed.is there any bog or bad ground along this project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Arent they taken there time getting started for such a big project , they must have all the area well surveyed.is there any bog or bad ground along this project

I am surprised they allowed such a long time between signing contracts and actually starting. Just seems surprising to me

glineli wrote: »
    I am surprised they allowed such a long time between signing contracts and actually starting. Just seems surprising to me

EIECTIONS

More CPO vesting orders published in the tribune over the weekend, lands to vest on August 22nd.

Bit hard to do work if the land isn't available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

antoobrien wrote: »
    More CPO vesting orders published in the tribune over the weekend, lands to vest on August 22nd.

Bit hard to do work if the land isn't available.

Sorry, i thought all land had been CPO'ed already

• Advertisement

Sorry, i thought all land had been CPO'ed already

Yes, but the vesting order to officially change the ownership of the land hadn't been processed.

Advertisement