Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Zyzz wrote: »
    Fair dues to anyone cycling in this weather..can't justify the farmers tan :pac:

Rule #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.
    Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts or not cycling in the sunshine, in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

ror_74 wrote: »
    Rule #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.
    Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts or not cycling in the sunshine, in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines.

I had the iPad out earlier watching Family Guy..while wearing a tank top..so I now have numerous farmer tan lines on my body :(

Edit - Pic added..

SlewzDh.jpg?2

Edit - Pic added..

Lol..looks like a sports bra .

Only one thing for it - topless knacker drinking in the park :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

For a second there I thought you'd gone out in bibs with no jersey on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

el tel wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever gone full Casper; white shoes, socks, jersey, and helmet?

Could be on the cards tonight :o
    Did I see you in Howth this evening? (with white oversocks also!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Cycled across town in runners last night on the commutourer with a full load in the panniers. It felt strange and dirty riding without cleats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

BMB70LiCIAE4zNS.jpg:large

Mr Deignan training at Sundrive last night (Stolen off Twitter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Mr Deignan training at Sundrive last night

I heard the Derny guy was worse off than Deignan afterwards! :pac:

buffalo wrote: »
    I heard the Derny guy was worse off than Deignan afterwards! :pac:

He gets a run for his money sometimes, but in fairness, the derny weighs a few kilos more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

He gets a run for his money sometimes, but in fairness, the derny weighs a few kilos more.

Is it not motorised? I always thought it was like a lightweight moped...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mr Deignan training at Sundrive last night (Stolen off Twitter)

I was there too, just at the end of his session. I swear I did not think once about taking a pic when he changed his baselayer after he finished ...

The derny rider Mark said he had been going 58kph steady for a whole hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Did I see you in Howth this evening? (with white oversocks also!)

Sounds like quite a sight! Alas I was 100 miles more north and I wore black shorts in the end!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For a second there I thought you'd gone out in bibs with no jersey on…

That's no laughing matter, I'll have you know. I saw just such a sight some time back, it must by over 15 years ago now, and I've still not fully recovered. Not even the hairy gorilla chest could disguise the fact that the guy was wearing nothing but bib shorts. *shudder*

On a similarly disturbing note, while riding up Glencullen on Sunday last I saw a cyclist wearing arm warmers with a sleeveless jersey. From a distance it just looked like he was wearing an oddly coloured long sleeve jersey with flesh colour bits on the shoulders, but the true horror of it became clear from about 50m back, the only positive being that it encouraged me to go a bit faster to get past him and put the sight behind me all the sooner. Nobody should be subjected to the bizarre sight of two little islands of bare shoulder, nobody. If you are going to wear a sleeveless jersey then wear it, adding arm warmers to the mix is wrong and almost certainly illegal on the grounds of shockingly poor taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    Possibly a triathlete skin suit. I have witnessed such a phenomenon.
    Still no excuse for it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

^^^ that's triathletes for ya

So I'm currently in 7th place on a popular strava segment. I need to lose 8 seconds to take KOM. Doable I reckon. So yesterday I attacked it on the way to work and reckoned I had it. Got home in the evening and uploaded the garmin file to find I was down a minute, WTF?! On closer inspection of the segment I find that whatever ginit plotted it on the map ran the segment right up to the lights after the top of the climb, the lights that I spent a minute stopped at and breathing through my arse after flogging myself up the hill!

It's a disgrace joe

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hide the segment and create a new one to stop before the lights.

@ROK ON, I'm pretty sure it was a jersey (with non-matching shorts, no less, this guy's crimes against fashion were many). Mind you, I was trying my best not to look, though my eyes called upon the power of sick fascination to fight against my efforts to look away, so I may be wrong.

Sitting out in the sun now with duct tape on my arms and a zipped hoody to try and somewhat rectify the burns :pac: Wish me luck

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Is it not motorised? I always thought it was like a lightweight moped...

Yeah, but I'd still say there a weight difference. Even if its just the helmet. I'm also trying to be respectful to the man who pulls me around the track on Saturday mornings. :)

I was there too, just at the end of his session. I swear I did not think once about taking a pic when he changed his baselayer after he finished ...

The derny rider Mark said he had been going 58kph steady for a whole hour.

Pity he didn't hang around for some racing. That would've been interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I didn't want to post a new thread just for this question so I'm posting here
    Went to buy some oil for my bike chain and they recommended Pure Wet Bike Lube .

Is this good & should is it just for the chain only or can I use it on rest of spots on a bike that need oiling?

dinneenp wrote: »
    I didn't want to post a new thread just for this question so I'm posting here
    Went to buy some oil for my bike chain and they recommended Pure Wet Bike Lube .

Is this good & should is it just for the chain only or can I use it on rest of spots on a bike that need oiling?

I think that's the same stuff I picked up on a whim while in Halfords a while back. I used it on my commute bike and I found it fine for that, probably not as long lasting as some other oils that I use for my commuter but good while it did last. Personally I wouldn't use it to oil smaller moving parts (derailleurs, brakes, etc.) though as I'd consider it a bit heavy/thick for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

marketty wrote: »
    So I'm currently in 7th place on a popular strava segment. I need to lose 8 seconds to take KOM. Doable I reckon. So yesterday I attacked it on the way to work and reckoned I had it. Got home in the evening and uploaded the garmin file to find I was down a minute, WTF?! On closer inspection of the segment I find that whatever ginit plotted it on the map ran the segment right up to the lights after the top of the climb, the lights that I spent a minute stopped at and breathing through my arse after flogging myself up the hill!

It's a disgrace joe

Mind me asking the segment?

Proof that mountain bikers can be hairless and hot:

580173_200085366809047_1538762802_n.jpg

My brain insists on trying to fill in the missing bits so it took me a moment to realise exactly how odd this bike really is:

IMG_2150.jpg

Look at that red reflector on the left..really ruins the bike..

tumblr_m0xt87mXM21r679ffo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

This sun is great and all but a bit of cloud wouldn't go amiss. 5k into my cycle I remembered that I hadn't applied the Irish pasty skinned choice of suncream; the factor 50. I could feel myself burning on the way back home......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

BX 19 wrote: »
    This sun is great and all but a bit of cloud wouldn't go amiss. 5k into my cycle I remembered that I hadn't applied the Irish pasty skinned choice of suncream; the factor 50. I could feel myself burning on the way back home......

You're a summer grinch

You're a summer grinch

I'm not built for the heat. I honestly think I should be from some cool nordic country. I burn far far too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'm not built for the heat. I honestly think I should be from some cool nordic country. I burn far far too easily.

I really feel for people like you, I'm one of the lucky ones who can go out in 25 degree heat with no sun cream (not that it's healthy to) and just end up with a tan. Although i do find it quite funny seeing friends the next day who think they have a lovely tan, when really they look as red as tomato and look like giant eejits :D

Brad768 wrote: »
    I really feel for people like you, I'm one of the lucky ones who can go out in 25 degree heat with no sun cream (not that it's healthy to) and just end up with a tan. Although i do find it quite funny seeing friends the next day who think they have a lovely tan, when really they look as red as tomato and look like giant eejits :D

Yea, I'm the red faced gob****e :(

FARMER TANS ALL ROUND :D

fairly poor chamois too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Not a helmet in sight.

• Advertisement

Not a helmet in sight.

I'd better post it into the helmet thread so..fuel the argument..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lads really, I don't want to be the party pooper but please put NSFW and a spoiler for such images. While I really appreciate the "art"; a round bottom does not get the recognition it deserves in the office.

The Nordics get far hotter summers than we do

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Lads really, I don't want to be the party pooper but please put NSFW and a spoiler for such images. While I really appreciate the "art"; a round bottom does not get the recognition it deserves in the office.

Boards on your phone?

On a side note, and sitting in my comfy student chair, I'm not surprised most companies clamp down on social networking sites, we really do spend an awful lot of our days posting, tweeting, plussing and facebooking.

Oh, and don't stop, I need new content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Boards on your phone?

On a side note, and sitting in my comfy student chair, I'm not surprised most companies clamp down on social networking sites, we really do spend an awful lot of our days posting, tweeting, plussing and facebooking.

Oh, and don't stop, I need new content.

We are compiling code. Which reminds me of this.

compiling.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Can't decide if this is cruelty to the biker or the bird ?!?! :confused:

Wonder what's with the Ready Brek glow around the thighs of the girls on the right?

Wonder what's with the Ready Brek glow around the thighs of the girls on the right?

Light reflectors I'd say - the shadows on the ground are going in the opposite direction.

AstraMonti wrote: »

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Is yer wan on the right using a frame pump?

Btw - this guy's cavalier attitude to cycling takes some beating!!

Just wonsering, where's blorg these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just wonsering, where's blorg these days?

Australia, or close to it I think...

So the cost of changing my gearing ratio is beyond me for the forseeable future. Sorry knees...and if I got back out to Wicklow within the forseeable future, sorry rest of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So the cost of changing my gearing ratio is beyond me for the forseeable future. Sorry knees...and if I got back out to Wicklow within the forseeable future, sorry rest of me.

I did a free upgrade (downgrade?) to a 32 rear sprocket by asking in the lbs for a junk mtb cassette, taking it apart and moving the 32t to my existing 13-27t road cassette. Took about 30 mins, a pin punch and a hammer...

Taking-apart-a-bikes-rear-cluster/

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I did a free upgrade (downgrade?) to a 32 rear sprocket by asking in the lbs for a junk mtb cassette, taking it apart and moving the 32t to my existing 13-27t road cassette. Took about 30 mins, a pin punch and a hammer...

Taking-apart-a-bikes-rear-cluster/

I've been told that the derailleur wouldn't be compatible with a bigger sprocket.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement