Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options
  • 10-07-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

Followed on from here.

Normal Charter rules still apply. Attack the post, not the poster.If you have any issue with a particular post please report it. Please be aware that as this is human rights issue people will have very different interpretations on the implementation of those rights. Some of which you may be in strong disagreement with or even find hurtful. Please try to Keep it civil though. It is expected that both sides will be sensitive with the wording they use when putting forward their points to the other side.
    The goal is for each post to be closer to the top of the pyramid.
    2cd98o6.jpg

Above all a cordial and constructive discussion atmosphere is what's strived for.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Unhelpful? Accurate.
    Abortion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abortion‎;
    the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abortion
    1. The removal of an embryo or fetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy.
    Close the thread, it's pointless anyway, people just avoid the difficult questions and realities of them supporting this killing. You'll probably censor this to like you have censored accurate descriptions of abortion procedures or anything else that protects the supporters of this killing from their cognitive dissonance.
    The last 5 pages of the thread have been people trying to explain a very simple concept to you, which you have been ignoring

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

28064212 wrote: »
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abortion

The last 5 pages of the thread have been people trying to explain a very simple concept to you, which you have been ignoring

Explain another simple concept then.

What methods of abortion will be carried out in Ireland where the mother wants to end the pregnancy and the foetus isn't rendered lifeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So anywho from the last thread.
    Nutbag anti-choicers apparently picketing the Irish embassy in London this evening for a 4.30pm "candlelit vigil"... so tempting to go troll them

Took a walk on my break and not much difference here in Dublin outside the Dail.

je7b.jpg

pnb2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What methods of abortion will be carried out in Ireland where the mother wants to end the pregnancy and the foetus isn't rendered lifeless?

That was already explained in great detail. Perhaps you have the posters who explained it on ignore? Because you seem to be the only one here who has failed to grasp it. But I'm sure you wouldn't do something silly like filter out voices and opinions you just don't like.

• Advertisement

Do you have a problem with peaceful protestors?

Hypothetically? Under the new legislation? If a suicidal woman presented at 30 weeks where the termination of the pregnancy was in her best interests, the baby would be delivered

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Please show me where i said i have a problem with peaceful protestors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Depends. If they wave a placard in my face or spout lies and use the word "murder" I have a definite problem with them. Sadly, the pro-life lot have form for such things.

Sarky wrote: »
    That was already explained in great detail. Perhaps you have the posters who explained it on ignore? Because you seem to be the only one here who has failed to grasp it. But I'm sure you wouldn't do something silly like filter out voices and opinions you just don't like.

So what is this method called then that has been explained where the Irish mother will go in for an abortion to end her pregnancy for "mental health" reasons and the foetus doesn't die?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So what is this method called then that has been explained where the Irish mother will go in for an abortion to end her pregnancy for "mental health" reasons and the foetus doesn't die?

Birth.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Birth.

really wish i could thank this more than once:)

bumper234 wrote: »
    Please show me where i said i have a problem with peaceful protestors.
    Put a couple of water filled paddling pools next to the pro lifers....give it 5 minutes there will be a gang of 60 drunken, lobster coloured, scobie scrotes jumping into them and screaming abuse at the pro lifers. Hopefully they knock 7 shades of ****e out of each other and we can be rid of 2 useless drains on society for a couple of weeks while they recuperate in one fell swoop biggrin.png

Not only do you have a problem with them you wish violence on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Birth.

Love it :D

Hypothetically? Under the new legislation? If a suicidal woman presented at 30 weeks where the termination of the pregnancy was in her best interests, the baby would be delivered
    Thank you.

Now what happens before 30 weeks and also to the delivered baby?

Not only do you have a problem with them you wish violence on them.

That's not having a problem with them that's just a hypothetical situation (you know the way you have used many times in the last thread) that i think would be funny to see. As long as said protesters are peaceful then i wish them all the best. The moment they start shoving things in peoples faces and screaming abuse at people they have moved beyond peaceful and ergo deserve whatever consequences befall them.

Do you mind if we get back on topic now?:rolleyes:

Thank you.

You know, things would go a lot faster if you didn't insist on a separate answer for what happens to a foetus for every damn day of its existence. Have you tried grouping things together? "What happens to a foetus between 25-30 weeks?" will save a whole lot of time and look far less bloody ridiculous than your current line of badgering.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

pClose the thread, it's pointless anyway, people just avoid the difficult questions and realities of them supporting this killing. You'll probably censor this to like you have censored accurate descriptions of abortion procedures or anything else that protects the supporters of this killing from their cognitive dissonance.

No ones avoided difficult questions BB, we have however noticed a recurring them throughout your hypothetical scenarios. As you have been told by oldrnwisr, most abortions take place before 12 weeks with approx 1-2% occurring in the timeframe that you have been obsessing over. Yet you have posted scenarios that have such little credibility that one would have to wonder at the underlying attitude that prompted their posting. Off the top of my head there's the having a late term abortion cos the woman's going off to Oz with her friends, having an abortion like returning a pair of shoes and being unable to understand that one woman raising a kid with hydrocephalus is a choice, not a law or moral obligation.

The only argument I can see for your scenarios is purely based on possibilities i.e. the set of all possibilities (however illogical) would include your scenarios. However the probability of them occurring would be so low that to continually fixate on worst-case possibilities, all of which cast negative aspersions on women, is either a red herring or a case of misogynistic slut shaming. The only dissonance is yours in ignoring all the explanations given to you including the brilliantly helpful ones from oldrnwisr.

Thank you.

I'll combine both answers into one: If it's viable, it lives, if it's not, it dies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Thank you.

Nothing yet. The legislation hasn't been signed into law by President Michael D Higgins. Nice to see the gestation is proceeding along peaceably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Thank you.

There's going to be grey areas no matter what you do. So why not go down to X weeks, Y Days, Z hrs, S, seconds, P Picoseconds?

It's the same for social welfare assistance thresholds, taxation thresholds, age limits, etc. Does someone who turns 18 magically become mature for their own decisions? Does someone 1 cent over the Medical Card threshold who's having health issues really deserve being denied access?

Unfortunately, in everything you got to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Yes, there will be exceptions and as such a case by case basis would be the ideal outcome. But that's not always practical to implement and as long as you have a law there's going to be grey areas.
    No law will ever be perfect.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone else find it hilarious that the guy carrying a placard with a YD logo on it in the 2nd image looks to be in his 70s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Thank you.

You seem to have latched on to this notion that an "abortion procedure" is a procedure to try and kill the foetus come hell or high water, and the idea that if a foetus survived the removal procedure and the termination of pregnancy and is viable it will be killed anyway because you think the purpose of the abortion procedure is to get rid of the baby or the mother doesn't have to worry about it rather than simply remove it from the woman's womb.

Instead of asking everyone else to prove to your satisfaction that this isn't the case, perhaps it would be easier if you just explain where they hell you go that idea from in the first place.

That's not having a problem with them that's just a hypothetical situation (you know the way you have used many times in the last thread) that i think would be funny to see. As long as said protesters are peaceful then i wish them all the best. The moment they start shoving things in peoples faces and screaming abuse at people they have moved beyond peaceful and ergo deserve whatever consequences befall them.

If it came to blows there'd be heart attacks and dislocated hips all over the shop. Not that it will, they'll just sit around talking about how the weather's great and how they don't understand the young people today with their googles and their ebays.

Sarky wrote: »
    If it came to blows there'd be heart attacks and dislocated hips all over the shop. Not that it will, they'll just sit around talking about how the weather's great and how they don't understand the young people today with their googles and their ebays.

In before BB accuses you of blatant ageism and and and.....something something dark side:)

IT-Guy wrote: »
    No ones avoided difficult questions BB,....
    (... but now I will make an attempt to explain why we do avoid the difficult question that doesn't involve accepting the horrendous realities)

Do you mind if we get back on topic now?:rolleyes:

So you think it would be "funny" to see peaceful protestors attacked as well as wishing violence on them for peacefully protesting.

I'll combine both answers into one: If it's viable, it lives, if it's not, it dies

Explain the sceario where an Irish woman at 24 weeks pregnant claims to be feeling suicidal and is booked in for an abortion and the foetus/newborn becomes viable post-abortion.

Explain the actual procedure that enables this to happen.

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Explain the sceario where an Irish woman at 24 weeks pregnant claims to be feeling suicidal and is booked in for an abortion and the foetus/newborn becomes viable post-abortion.

:confused:
    Viability would surely be determined pre-abortion?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement