Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I remember two tackles from Moran and Dillion. Both were in injury team of a Connacht final with 2 points in it. You say sledgers, I call it being smart.

You're trying to say all tackles are equal - you can foul someone without snapping their neck back. The issue is the reckless nature of the tackles, not the fact they were made at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Syferus wrote: »
    You're trying to say all tackles are equal - you can foul someone without snapping their neck back. The issue is the reckless nature of the tackles, not the fact they were made at all.

You're exaggerating the tackles. No one had to be stretchered to the hospital beside the pitch.

You're exaggerating the tackles. No one had to be stretchered to the hospital beside the pitch.

Don't you mean to Galway? ;)

Just because no one was seriously injured this time doesn't mean they weren't dangerous tackles. The last thing Mayo needs in the sorts of tight games that remain this year is indiscipline, even in fouling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

They need to sort out the full forward line. Andy Moran is the only ball winner in there. If Mayo can afford to put O'Connor inside then it could make a big difference. Freeman maybe could do a job in the half forward line.

I'd like to see Mayo line up like this:

10. McLoughlin
    11. Dillon
    12. Freeman
    13. O' Connor
    14. Moran
    15. Doherty/Conroy/Varley. (I would play Conroy but a very tough decision for James Horan)

Mortimer would be nice in there at 15.... What a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

They need to sort out the full forward line. Andy Moran is the only ball winner in there. If Mayo can afford to put O'Connor inside then it could make a big difference. Freeman maybe could do a job in the half forward line.

I'd like to see Mayo line up like this:

10. McLoughlin
    11. Dillon
    12. Freeman
    13. O' Connor
    14. Moran
    15. Doherty/Conroy/Varley. (I would play Conroy but a very tough decision for James Horan)

Mortimer would be nice in there at 15.... What a shame.
    Freeman is not up to it. Simple as. Can't remember him having a decent game since 2010 if I'm honest. Would like to see him play Geraghty at 15 and him to act as a 3rd midfielder. He's a great ball winner around the middle. Won't happen though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Freeman is not up to it. Simple as. Can't remember him having a decent game since 2010 if I'm honest. Would like to see him play Geraghty at 15 and him to act as a 3rd midfielder. He's a great ball winner around the middle. Won't happen though

That's not true, Freeman had a decent year in 2011, he scored 1-1 against Down, 1-2 against Galway and 1-3 against Dublin last year.

He is definitely good enough, what he needs is to get some form back and be a bit more consistent than he has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Syferus is spot on about the couple of tackles he's talking about, there's cynical and there's dangerous. I don't think they were meant to be as dangerous as they were or that the players who made them are nasty characters or anything, but Christ Almighty you don't want to seriously hurt anyone for the sake of bloody medal either. Hopefully it was a once off, a pull of the jersey will do the job perfectly well in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's not true, Freeman had a decent year in 2011, he scored 1-1 against Down, 1-2 against Galway and 1-3 against Dublin last year.

He is definitely good enough, what he needs is to get some form back and be a bit more consistent than he has been.

Dotherty, Freeman, Conroy and Varley are all much of a muchness, none of them are much good.

Doherty had a great 2011 league campaign and has done nothing since.

I have not been impressed with Conroy at all, he was poor on Sunday when he came on, did nothing of worth if you ask me.

It's a real problem, someone of them will have to step up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Syferus wrote: »
    Don't you mean to Galway? ;)

Just because no one was seriously injured this time doesn't mean they weren't dangerous tackles. The last thing Mayo needs in the sorts of tight games that remain this year is indiscipline, even in fouling.

All the big teams are deploying cynical tactics when closing down games. Look at how the Kerry players hit the deck in the league semi-final against Mayo. Most referees won't allow for this. Like what said before, if we have to win ugly then so be it, too many All-Irelands and big-games have been lost by Mayo because we didn't have the killer instinct. I agree there's no need for dangerous tackles but the reality is we will not make it in the final stages unless we shove our weight around at the end.

It's too much of a risk to hope he will just pick up his form in the quarter finals. If he can't do it in Connacht why would he do it against the bigger teams?
    Dotherty, Freeman, Conroy and Varley are all much of a muchness, none of them are much good.

Doherty had a great 2011 league campaign and has done nothing since.

I have not been impressed with Conroy at all, he was poor on Sunday when he came on, did nothing of worth if you ask me.

It's a real problem, someone of them will have to step up

I think Varley has a lot of potential but I agree that the full-forwards were a huge disappointment on Sunday. If it wasn't for Barry Moran and Aidan O'Shea driving forward from mid-field we probably would have lost. You're right about them having to step up though, with Mortimer gone there aren't many alternatives now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I really don't think being in centre forward is suiting Cillian O' Connor, he was playing better when he was in the full forward line.

I really don't think being in centre forward is suiting Cillian O' Connor, he was playing better when he was in the full forward line.

I'd certainly put O'Conor in the full forward line and move Moran out to half forward

But what collection of Varley, Doherty, Conroy, Freeman do you put there with him ?

None of that four inspire confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I'd certainly put O'Conor in the full forward line and move Moran out to half forward

But what collection of Varley, Doherty, Conroy, Freeman do you put there with him ?

None of that four inspire confidence

I'm all for a two man full forward line of Varley and Moran/O'Connor! McLoughlin or Geraghty wearing 15 and opearting as sweeper/3rdman mid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

cgpg5 wrote: »
    I'm all for a two man full forward line of Varley and Moran/O'Connor! McLoughlin or Geraghty wearing 15 and opearting as sweeper/3rdman mid

The thing is if Moran and O'Shea (or Geraghty / Gibbons) play the way they have been playing, there's no need or point to putting a 3rd man out there, it's just weakening the forwards even more! Keep a conventional full forward line I say. McLoughlin, Dillon, Boyler and Keegan are well able to scrap for the breaks around the middle!

FWIW I think Conroy has probably been the livelier of the corner forwards, but hasn't had his shooting boots on yet. I'd give him another chance.

Varley I was disappointed with, he wasn't showing very well and also wasn't tracking back, although I'll concede that Ross Donovan is a superb corner back and played him off the field!

Doherty was very poor Sunday I think and hasn't played well all year, time to drop him I think!

I would line them up as follows:

10. McLoughlin
    11. Andy Moran
    12. Dillon
    13. Conroy
    14. Cillian O'Connor
    15. Freeman

Would love to have Mortimer to stick in at 15, but however! Also, possibly if Geraghty was up to it at midfield they could potentially put O'Shea at 11, and move Andy back inside with O'Connor and Conroy/Freeman.

Padkir wrote: »
    The thing is if Moran and O'Shea (or Geraghty / Gibbons) play the way they have been playing, there's no need or point to putting a 3rd man out there, it's just weakening the forwards even more! Keep a conventional full forward line I say. McLoughlin, Dillon, Boyler and Keegan are well able to scrap for the breaks around the middle!

FWIW I think Conroy has probably been the livelier of the corner forwards, but hasn't had his shooting boots on yet. I'd give him another chance.

Varley I was disappointed with, he wasn't showing very well and also wasn't tracking back, although I'll concede that Ross Donovan is a superb corner back and played him off the field!

Doherty was very poor Sunday I think and hasn't played well all year, time to drop him I think!

I would line them up as follows:

10. McLoughlin
    11. Andy Moran
    12. Dillon
    13. Conroy
    14. Cillian O'Connor
    15. Freeman

Would love to have Mortimer to stick in at 15, but however! Also, possibly if Geraghty was up to it at midfield they could potentially put O'Shea at 11, and move Andy back inside with O'Connor and Conroy/Freeman.

He prospered there a a minor but that was when he could run with the ball and have 5 our six smaller guys hang on to him to try and stop him, will not happen at senior

He has settled into midfield in the league and I would not move him now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

keane2097 wrote: »
    Syferus is spot on about the couple of tackles he's talking about, there's cynical and there's dangerous. I don't think they were meant to be as dangerous as they were or that the players who made them are nasty characters or anything, but Christ Almighty you don't want to seriously hurt anyone for the sake of bloody medal either. Hopefully it was a once off, a pull of the jersey will do the job perfectly well in future.

And the tackle on Vaughan in the league final was a little tap was it... and it got Cork a league medal.
    There wasn't any dangerous tackles in the game, Mayo were been taken out of it in numerous occassions, it wasn't clear on TV I am sure.

We are happy enough with the stance they are taking, no one hurt, no stretchered off etc etc etc.
    O'Hara came looking for it, he received it back with interest.

Tennis is a less "dangerous" game, maybe some would prefer to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

where i was standing i coulent see who got the slap,was running on to the pitch after the final wisel and passed by o hara he was still pumping blood from his noes and i thought good enough for him he gave many him self over the yrs.

naughto wrote: »
    where i was standing i coulent see who got the slap,was running on to the pitch after the final wisel and passed by o hara he was still pumping blood from his noes and i thought good enough for him he gave many him self over the yrs.

O'Hara dragged Barry Moran down off the ball. The two were on the ground and O'Hara got up with a bloody nose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

O'Hara dragged Barry Moran down off the ball. The two were on the ground and O'Hara got up with a bloody nose.

As O'Hara came on he went straight for Moran and clipped him with his elbow, he took O'Shea out of it twice then as he layed the ball off. He did a "Rooney" onto the ref on 3 occasions I saw so he got his just desserts :)

Get rid of the "aww aren't Mayo players awful nice" and we might win something.

Armagh, Tyrone, Meath, Kerry, Cork, Dublin were never labelled as been "nice" and have won plenty of AI's so let us toughen up and see what happens.
    If anyone wants to call us dirty etc and there is an AI medal in the back pocket, I will live with that.

yop wrote: »
    And the tackle on Vaughan in the league final was a little tap was it... and it got Cork a league medal.

Dragged along the ground as well...

'Bout time we dished it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dragged along the ground as well...

'Bout time we dished it out
    Don't forget Noel O'Leary grabbing an injured Mayo guy on the ground and giving him a good shaking, classy guy Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Think the media have really played this " up and coming mayo team " and " winning ugly is a great sign of this team" too a new level..realistically this team is worse than the team we had from 2003-2007 yet they're being talked about as potential all Ireland finalists..Wer a long way short..while our backs are solid and our mid field is excellent, o Shea and Moran, that forward line is down right awful for championship level..I wouldn't put it in the top 20 forward lines in the country..think horan is not upto scratch doesn't seem to be doing anything new..if we get Kerry/tyrone or kildare in the quarters we're gone unless midfield can somehow preform miracles

jibber5000 wrote: »
    that forward line is down right awful for championship level..I wouldn't put it in the top 20 forward lines in the country..

Not in the top 20?! I agree we can be poor at times but you're way off with that comment.

As it stands Moran and Dillion would walk into most, if not any team in Ireland.
    Cillian O'Connor won the young PoTY last season.
    Kevin McLoughlin has cemented his place in the team and is a great footballer.
    Freeman/Varley/Conroy and Doherty are good players on their day. Not prolific but they can do a job.
    think horan is not upto scratch doesn't seem to be doing anything new..if we get Kerry/tyrone or kildare in the quarters we're gone unless midfield can somehow preform miracles

Not up to scratch? Last year we won Connacht and knocked out the champions.
    This year we've been in a final and won Connacht again with a trip to Croke Park to come. I can see the progress there.

Before Horan took over I saw us getting beat in Sligo and Longford. Mayo football was at a low. Now at least we've a bit of pride back and have some good prospects coming through.
    But anyway...Horan Out...bring back Maughan :rolleyes:

Think the media have really played this " up and coming mayo team " and " winning ugly is a great sign of this team" too a new level..realistically this team is worse than the team we had from 2003-2007 yet they're being talked about as potential all Ireland finalists..Wer a long way short..while our backs are solid and our mid field is excellent, o Shea and Moran, that forward line is down right awful for championship level..I wouldn't put it in the top 20 forward lines in the country..think horan is not upto scratch doesn't seem to be doing anything new..if we get Kerry/tyrone or kildare in the quarters we're gone unless midfield can somehow preform miracles

Right, think your username gives us insight into the jibberish you typed there in fairness and I don't like "attacking" a poster, but the logic behind that post is flawed to say the least.
    Back to back Connaught title, a league final and semi final in championship last season.....

our backs are solid and our mid field is excellent

Surely the above counts as progress? The league semi-final against Kerry this year was the best match Mayo have played since Dublin in 06. Horan has undoubtedly progressed the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Surely the above counts as progress? The league semi-final against Kerry this year was the best match Mayo have played since Dublin in 06. Horan has undoubtedly progressed the team

I was at that game and to be honest we were very poor kerry noticeably started showboating and thats how we got back into it..

I know mayo club football and know that horan takes a view on some players and no matter what they do hel never bring them into the squad.
    A player at my club was the top goal scorer in mayo club football last year and he never even got asked for a trail this year..

Ronaldson kilcoyne and mortimer are three players who horan doesnt fancy and thats that meanwhile we dont have one forward who will score 3 or 4 points from play or even look dangerous..

As for winning connacht is that really progress connact football is at its lowest ebb in years..wer even further behind the big times now than we were when we were getting well beaten in all irelands...

we won 90% of the ball when o shea came on against sligo and we still struggled..If we get a bad draw in the quarters our defence and midfiled wont keep us in it..

Coc was young player of the year last year but hes playing very poorly this year and is no where near good enough for centre forward at the mo

While there is some inter-county down time now between the Connaught Final and the Quarter Final why not talk about who Mayo would like to get in the quarters

Options are
    Kerry (sorry Clare)
    Down
    Tipp
    Meath
    Laois
    Kildare

For me it would be Kerry
    Mayo really need to get the monkey off our backs and why wait until the Semi Final or Final to have to try and do it.
    Plus they need a tough game
    Another nice one would be Meath, another monkey off the back job.
    Kildare too would give them a good hard game, give them a proper idea where they are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

While there is some inter-county down time now between the Connaught Final and the Quarter Final why not talk about who Mayo would like to get in the quarters

Options are
    Kerry (sorry Clare)
    Down
    Tipp
    Meath
    Laois
    Kildare

For me it would be Kerry
    Mayo really need to get the monkey off our backs and why wait until the Semi Final or Final to have to try and do it.
    Plus they need a tough game
    Another nice one would be Meath, another monkey off the back job.
    Kildare too would give them a good hard game, give them a proper idea where they are at.

I really, deeply hope you get your wish.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I really, deeply hope you get your wish.

Oh I'm sure you do :)

But seriously, if Mayo are to progress this year they will have to be up for beating the likes of Kerry, and why not deal with it in the quarters rather than in the final.

No use beating Tipp and Laois for example and then loosing to Kerry in the final

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sure you do :)

But seriously, if Mayo are to progress this year they will have to be up for beating the likes of Kerry, and why not deal with it in the quarters rather than in the final.

No use beating Tipp and Laois for example and then loosing to Kerry in the final

I don't think any team will have to worry about that this year. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement